Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Adventuring
 Archer With an Elven Double Bow
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HideousPhidias
Acolyte

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2010 :  04:22:52  Show Profile Send HideousPhidias a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I have an up coming Faerun Game and the GM wants tow or there good well planned out character ideas from each player before he even thinks about start. I have one idea of an Dwarven Fighter in the Dales I already Posted on and would like to get some of your guys help on this one too.

The idea is a Archer that uses the elven double bow and rapid shot to send as many arrows down field as he can. I am not really sure of how I want to build the character, I am thinking Ranger/Fighter with a prestige class but not sure of which. Not even really sure about race, was think Elf but, if something has a better storyline that ties it to the setting I am open to it. I was thinking for the start of this characters backstory he was an elf and a member or the The Eldreth Veluuthra. I think this fits in with the Justice of the Weald and Woe prestige class and that groups goals. Well please tell me what you think and as always thanks for any help even it is to say what a bad idea and give a better.

Feats that are a must

* Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Elven Double Bow)
* Point Blank Shot
* Precise Shot
* Rapid Shot
* ManyShot
* Improved Rapid Shot
* Concealed Ambush
* Improved Precise Shot

Prestige Classes that on the radar

* Order of the Bow Initiate (Complete Warrior)
* Peerless Archer (Silver Marshes)
* Deepwood Sniper (Masters of the Wild)
* Justice of the Weald and Woe (Champions of Ruin)
* Arcane Archer Variant (PathFinder)

Edited by - HideousPhidias on 07 Apr 2010 22:14:48

HideousPhidias
Acolyte

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2010 :  04:24:40  Show Profile Send HideousPhidias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I for got to say this is a 3.5 game and we are going to start in the Dales.

Thanks again
Go to Top of Page

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2010 :  11:18:46  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage Send Sian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
being an archer is fairly feat intensive, and since Ranger doesn't really bring anything to the table on that account, i'd go pure fighter at least for some time.

Futhermore i'd also suggest you scan though The Archery Handbook for ideas

what happened to the queen? she's much more hysterical than usual
She's a women, it happens once a month

Edited by - Sian on 04 Apr 2010 11:20:41
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2010 :  17:05:50  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, take a look at the Pathfinder Deadly Aim feat to talk over with your DM. It's basically a Power Attack for archers and can easily be worked into any 3.5 system.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2010 :  17:59:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Justice of Weald and Woe was one of the PrCs that I felt was too tightly tied to a single group... There are several PrCs in that particular book that are specific to a single power group, and yet nothing beyond the description really ties the PrC to that group. The Justice, for example, could be easily tweaked to be any elf defending elven lands -- as I recall, there's not a single class feature that thematically or mechanically is limited to xenophobic elven supremacists.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2010 :  05:18:33  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you go ranger, I'd suggest using a non-casting variant and replacing it with an archery-related feat or ability. It goes without saying that you'd take the archey track for rangers. You could also go with a Black Arrow of Sheverash PrC, if you want to focus on fighting elven enemies (namely, drow).

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2010 :  18:55:51  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How about Arcane Archer? Just my two Zhents!! ;)
Go to Top of Page

HideousPhidias
Acolyte

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2010 :  22:18:39  Show Profile Send HideousPhidias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry I meant arcane archer when I wrote arcane spellcaster variant under the prestige class I listed. But, my question how to build to it ranger or fighter combined with a wizard.

Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2010 :  03:02:25  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How about a Ranger/ Sorcerer/ Arcane Archer? Maybe 5/5/10
Go to Top of Page

Tyranthraxus
Senior Scribe

Netherlands
423 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2010 :  13:50:13  Show Profile  Visit Tyranthraxus's Homepage Send Tyranthraxus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You only have to be able to cast level 1 spells for Arcane Archer, so 1 level of wizard/sorcerer should be enough.

Choose spells like true strike, shield, mage armor, magic missile and other useful utility spells.
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2010 :  14:22:27  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pathfinder's version of the Arcane Archer is a 7/10 caster now. No longer a 4 level dip...

I would do a 'Swift Hunter' build. Scout5/Ranger15. The feat Swift Hunter from Complete Scoundrel is nice. Use the alternate Favored Enemy: Arcane Spellcasters. I think its from Complete Mage. Then use Greater Many-Shot from the XPH (It's a General Feat). Then take as Favored Enemies: Undead(119 different creatures that you can Skirmish. +5D6X4 on a Standard Action). All OF THE CREATUES THAT ARE IMMUNE TO PRECISON DAMAGE. Those feats give you the ability to Skirmish and add Favored Enemy DAMAGE to them. Just make sure you get a Freedom of Movement ability. It would suck if you got immobilised.

That Archer Handbook that was posted is where I got the info from. I was so going to play that PC Concept, but that game fell through...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2010 :  14:30:04  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How about Ranger/Bard/Arcane Archer. Singing while you hunt from the treetops.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

HideousPhidias
Acolyte

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2010 :  04:55:18  Show Profile Send HideousPhidias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think I am just going to go ranger for the first few levels and see where the character takes me. If I hang out with the spell casters then I will build toward arcane archer if not I will look to one of the other ideas.

But I need help filling out the back ground for this guy. I know a lot about the history and motives of dwarves in the realms but elves are a mystery for me. I need to right a good back story for a elf hanging around the Dales. Could so one point me to a good 3.5 book with lots of fluff in it for elven plots. I have been reading Races of Faerun but I am looking for and idea to tie the character to a Elven court or realm in the north. What are some of the better plots around elves? I really don't know what I want just need some ideas really.

As always thanks....
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2010 :  08:10:48  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I know it's 2nd ed, but Cormanthyr: Empire of Elves is a good source to look for. There are PDF's if you want to go that route. The great thing about that book is that it's mostly fluff, so it can still be used with 3.5 rules. And it already uses the area near the Dales, so it's perfect for coming up with good bg info. An elf survivor or descendant from old Myth Drannor, maybe? And it's a hefty read, but Evermeet, Island of Elves is a great novel for elven bg and history.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2010 :  13:42:25  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

Well, I know it's 2nd ed, but Cormanthyr: Empire of Elves is a good source to look for. There are PDF's if you want to go that route. The great thing about that book is that it's mostly fluff, so it can still be used with 3.5 rules. And it already uses the area near the Dales, so it's perfect for coming up with good bg info. An elf survivor or descendant from old Myth Drannor, maybe? And it's a hefty read, but Evermeet, Island of Elves is a great novel for elven bg and history.

Although, PDF's are impossible to find legally...

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2010 :  23:39:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

Although, PDF's are impossible to find legally...

Except for the free ones on the Wizards downloads page.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000