Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Adventuring
 Pathfinder Master of Chains PrC
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4427 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2010 :  07:36:34  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
We're pretty far into our Pathfinder campaign and one in our party is a spiked chain fighter. When thumbing through my library of 3/3.5 books, he couldn't decide on a good PrC. Luckly, I had this old PDF of Sword and Fist and converted the Master of chains to Pathfinder rules. Enjoy

MASTER OF CHAINS

The master of chains is a combatant specializing in the use of chains--specifically the spiked chain--as a weapon. They usually have a sinister aura about them, and are never completely good. They use chains as tools of terror and intimidation as much as weapons. Along with their use of chains, they are good with locks as well.
Fighters are the best equipped to become masters of chains, although rogues, rangers, and barbarians make excellent members of this rare, frightening group as well.
A master of chains often creates a lair underground filled with chains on the ground and hanging from the ceiling. Whole rooms of rattling chains suspended from above create an unnerving and dangerous setting for their foes. Members of this prestige class usually do not work together, although a master of chains gladly teams up with those of other classes for mutual benefit. Due to their similar affinities, these individuals often ally themselves with the outsiders known as kythons.
Hit Die: d10

REQUIREMENTS
To qualify to become a master of chains, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.
Alignment: Any non-good.
Escape Artist: 3 ranks
Intimidate: 5 ranks
Feats: Exotic Weapon Proficiency (spiked chain), Combat Expertise, Improved Trip, Improved Disarm, Weapon Focus (spiked chain), Weapon Specialization (spiked chain).
Ability Score: Int 13+ (required for Combat Expertise).

CLASS SKILLS
The master of chains class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Acrobatics (Dex), Climb (Str), Craft (metalworking) (Int), Disable Device (Int), Escape Artist (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Stealth (Dex).

Skill Points at Each Level: 4 + Int modifier.

CLASS FEATURES
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: The master of chains gains no proficiency with weapons, or any type of armor or shields.

Fear: By rattling his chains as a standard action, at 1st level the master can induce a fear effect (DC 10 + 1/2 master of chains level + Cha modifier) as the spell of the same name, using his class level as the caster level (see the Player's Handbook). The master can use this spell-like ability only once per day starting at 1st level. At 4th level and each three levels afterward (7th and 10th) a master of chains gains one additional use of his Fear spell-like ability.

The strongest link: At 1st level, a master of chains gains the ability to use a spiked chain to it's fullest potential. By making a Craft (metalsmithing) or Craft (weaponsmiting) check of DC 20, a master of chains may increases the length of the weapon up to 10 feet long and gives the spiked chain a reach of 10 feet. Any magical properties a spiked chain may have are added to the additional length of the weapon.

Climb Fighting: At 2nd level, if a master of chains is climbing on a rope or chain, he suffers no penalty to attacks and foes gain no bonus to attack him, rather than the master of chains losing his Dexterity modifier while climbing and his enemy gaining a +2 on attack rolls against the master of chains. If the master of chains is hanging from a chain that has the ability to swing more than five feet, he can use that to his advantage and gain a +2 dodge bonus to his AC.

Extra Lash: At 3rd level, a master of chains can inflict an additional +1d6 points of damage with a spiked chain, slashing the foe with extra slack in the chain. He can only use this ability if the target is denied their dexterity modifier to their AC, flat-footed, or if the master of chains if flanking an opponent. Creatures that are immune to critical hits are immune to this extra damage. The damage extra lash inflicts is increased to +2d6 at 6th level and +3d6 at 9th level.

Superior Weapon Focus: Stacking on top of any existing Weapon Focus bonus, at 3rd level this ability grants a master of chains an additional +1 to attack rolls with a spiked chain.

Chain Bind: At 4th level, the master of chains can use his weapon and a quick application of a lock (the whole process requiring a full-round action) to bind a single small, medium, or large creature. The master of chains rolls a combat maneuver check as an attack against the target's combat maneuver defense to successfully bind the target. The target can attempt a Escape Artist check with a DC of 25 or burst the chain using a Strength check with a DC of 30. A chain at least 10 feet long is required to accomplish this. If it's a spiked chain, the entangled creature suffers 3 points of damage per round while entangled unless they remain motionless.

Chain Armor: At 5th level, a master of chains can wrap himself in chains (as long as he has at least 20 feet of chain) to provide him with a +5 armor bonus to AC. For him, there is only a -2 armor check penalty, no max Dex modifier, and a 30% arcane spell failure chance. Speed is not affected. If the master of chains is already wearing armor, then the chains act as additional support, giving him DR 3/piercing. At 10th level, the chains provide him a +7 armor bonus to AC, -1 armor check penalty, no max Dex modifier, and a 15% arcane spell failure chance. The damage reduction is increased to DR 5/piercing.

Double Chain: At 5th level, the master of chains can choose to use a spiked chain as a double weapon instead of a weapon with reach. This requires a swift action and the change lasts until the beginning of his next turn. When using a spiked chain as a double weapon, he is treaded as having the Two-Weapon Fighting feat for reducing the penalties of fighting with both ends. This ability does not extend to any other weapon other than a spiked chain.

Deflective Attacks: As a move-equivalent action, a 6th level master of chains can use a spinning chain to provide a +4 deflection bonus to AC against all attacks coming from a chosen 180-degree arc. This is an extraordinary ability.

Superior Weapon Specialization: Stacking on top of any existing weapon specialization bonus, this adds an additional +2 to all damage rolls made with a chain or spiked chain.

Superior Barbed Chain: At 8th level, the master of chains can modify his spiked chain so that it leaves cruel barbs behind in the targets it strikes. Using the chain this way causes victims to bleed 1 hit point per round until a successful Heal check is used to bind the wounds (DC 15) or until magical healing is applied to them. It costs 25 gp to modify a chain in this manner, and 10 gp to add new spikes once the modifier chain has been used five times. (After five uses, the modified chain can be used as a normal spiked chain.) Only 8th level and above masters of chains can make and use these specially modified weapons properly--in anyone else's hands they are simply spiked chains.

Swinging Attack: At 9th level, as a full-round action, the master of chains can wrap the end of his chain around an overhead object (something that can sustain his weight) and swing at any target within 10 feet. The foe so attacked is treated as flat-footed and the master gains a +2 attack bonus and inflicts +3d6 damage with this single attack (only one attack is allowed).

Chain Mastery: As a supernatural ability, the master of chains can animate a chain (as the spell animate rope, but with chains) of up to 50 feet in length for 10 rounds. The master of chains can use this ability three times per day plus a number of times equal to his Charisma bonus.

Level | BAB | Fort | Reflex | Will | Special
1st +1 +0 +1 +0 Fear 1/day, strongest link

2nd +2 +1 +1 +1 Climb fighting

3rd +3 +1 +2 +1 Superior weapon focus, extra lash +1d6

4th +4 +1 +2 +1 Chain bind, fear 2/day

5th +5 +2 +3 +2 Chain armor, double chain

6th +6 +2 +3 +2 Deflect attacks, extra lash +2d6

7th +7 +2 +4 +2 Superior weapon specialization, fear 3/day

8th +8 +3 +4 +3 Superior barbed chain

9th +9 +3 +5 +3 Extra lash +3d6, swinging attack

10th +10 +3 +5 +3 Chain mastery, fear 4/day

Edited by - Diffan on 09 Apr 2010 15:43:50

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2010 :  13:55:59  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The only thing I'd have to add is that Pathfinder downgraded Spiked Chains to 4' length, making it so they are no longer reach weapons. That means Chain Bind, Chain Armor, Double Chain, Swinging Attack and Chain Mastery would be out, since they require a longer chain or reach weapon.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2010 :  14:27:40  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just add some links to the spiked chains to make them longer

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4427 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2010 :  15:51:55  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

The only thing I'd have to add is that Pathfinder downgraded Spiked Chains to 4' length, making it so they are no longer reach weapons. That means Chain Bind, Chain Armor, Double Chain, Swinging Attack and Chain Mastery would be out, since they require a longer chain or reach weapon.

Hmmm, I didn't really look to see if they changed that up or not. For my group's purposes, the spiked chain is still a reach weapon, otherwise it's pretty much pointless to make it an exotic weapon or for anyone to gain much use of it other than flavor wise.

You could do as Alisttair suggested and add more to the weapon.

Or, you could throw in a special ability that only Master of Chains knows the ways to increase the length of a spiked chain to make it a reach weapon.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2010 :  16:06:55  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

Or, you could throw in a special ability that only Master of Chains knows the ways to increase the length of a spiked chain to make it a reach weapon.

And thus knowing how to use it properly in such a way

Go to Top of Page

Ayunken-vanzan
Senior Scribe

Germany
657 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2010 :  16:35:57  Show Profile  Visit Ayunken-vanzan's Homepage Send Ayunken-vanzan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

This sounds good. Whereas a normal being isn't able to use the chain to the fullest, the Master of Chains is able to use it as a reach weapon, effictively increasing its range. It would be a further incentive to use this PrC.

"What mattered our lives now? When our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring."
Elender Stormfall of Suzail

"Anyone can kill deities, cause plagues, or destroy organizations. It takes real skill to make them live on."
Varl

FR/D&D-Links 2ed Downloads
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2010 :  16:50:24  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That sounds good to me too.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2010 :  17:07:17  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayunken-vanzan

quote:

This sounds good. Whereas a normal being isn't able to use the chain to the fullest, the Master of Chains is able to use it as a reach weapon, effictively increasing its range. It would be a further incentive to use this PrC.

Call it "the Strongest Link"

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4427 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2010 :  19:06:48  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

quote:
Originally posted by Ayunken-vanzan

quote:

Call it "the Strongest Link"

Done. I made it 1st level mainly because it fits the progression quite well and it makes the spiked chain a better weapon earlier on.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2010 :  21:03:33  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This looks good with that addition. I linked this thread over onto the PaizoBoard's Conversion section as well (maybe get some new visitors around here...).

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4427 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2010 :  22:07:55  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

This looks good with that addition. I linked this thread over onto the PaizoBoard's Conversion section as well (maybe get some new visitors around here...).

Sounds good. Could you post that link here as well? I'd like to read some of their comments and suggestions. I have an account there so I could respond in kind.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2010 :  23:26:22  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here ya go

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000