Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Adventuring
 Dwarf Trapped in the Dales
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HideousPhidias
Acolyte

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2010 :  18:48:01  Show Profile Send HideousPhidias a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Ok, my friends and I have been debating a Faerun Game for sometime now, and it seems that the guy with the best storyline that everyone liked was the one about the Dale Land being under siege. So I have been thinking of different character ideas and my love of dwarf keeps picking at me. I was hoping to build a dwarven rogue/fighter that I could have fun with.

My idea for this character is a dwarf from Tethyamar who is exile. Telhyamar used to be one of the main trading partnes of the Dales so it is only natural that some of the dwarves move in to the area. Maybe looking for support to reform the Mithrial Legion to retake Tethyamar for the Iron House or to help defend old old friend against their foes so that they too do not fall. I was thinking that after the defeat of The Mithrial Legion in the attempt to retake Telkyamar by Borlin, blood of Ghellin, My character would have made his way in to Cormyr and then later in to the Dalelands. I looked through the different Dales and I like Daggerdale. It has one of the higher populations of dwarves in the Dales and I even found a Clan name, The Bladebrights, that have to do with the area out side of Dagger Falls. They seem to have an old can hold under a place called Eagles' Eyrie. Though they may have moved out of it do to a disagreement with the Morns the current rulers of Daggerdale.

We are likely to start off the campaign around third level so I think being a dwarven veteran from the Mithrial Legion makes for both an easy and good background start. Anyone who has gone through a battle or two should atleast ave a level. This Siege Campaign is likely to see invaders from the Moonsea area, although there was also talk about a lich. The GM's idea of the lich is another reason I hooked on to Daggerdale. They have been having lots of problems with vampires so it ties in to the fighting undead idea already in the campaign. I don't know much about the vampires in the Dales, are they controlled by anyone or just random monster plaguing the land?

I was thinking about a rogue or a rogue/fighter for this character, but I wouldn't mind maybe a cleric or rogue/cleric too. I haven played a cleric in over ten years and wouldn't mind giving it a try again. Maybe for the god Dumathoin or Vergadain, Moradin is not my favorite of the gods but there are a few prestige classes to him and I am really trying to tie this character in to the realms as much as I can. I have no idea real idea yeah of how I want to build this guy but I can see him in my head. I see a dwarf with dark brown hair and beard, the beard being short and well keep. He wears a leather cuirass of a mithrial Breastplate. Armed with a heavy crossbow , two curved daggers on his hips and a dwarven greataxe on his back.

Only one other guy so far has put forth some ideas of a character, he was thinking a summoner either divine or arcane, which ever built better, or a rogue fighter that use a glaive. I thinking a will most likely see a wizard out of one of the other guys and an archivist out of the forth.

Help need on
Filling out the background a little more.

* Telhyamar, what happened?
* Vampires in the Dales, who is in charge?
* What happen between the Morns and the Bladebrights in Dagger Fall
* Gold or Shield, which do you guys would fit better?

Picking a build direction for the character.

* Rogue or ranger which would be better? I do love having skill points to use over just being melee meat.
* What are some of the good cleric prestige classes in Faerun?
* Is there a prestige that combines elements of cleric and rogue?
* Should I just go traditional fighter and specialize in the axe or hammer?

Edain Shadowstar
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2010 :  03:46:57  Show Profile  Visit Edain Shadowstar's Homepage Send Edain Shadowstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HideousPhidias:

Telhyamar, what happened?

Tethyamar fell in 1104 DR to a horde of orcs and demons purportedly led by the Great Hlundadim (the Great Hlundadim was a mysterious wizard, possibly from Netheril, who united the goblinkind of the southern Anauroch in -393 DR). Source: Grand History of the Realms

quote:

What happened between the Morns and the Bladebrights in Dagger Falls?

Colderan the Mage-Lord, great-grandfather of Randal Morn, drove the Brightblade dwarves out with the help of the Drow Elves because of a slight against his beloved wife Belesaria (the dwarves would not sell her a piece they had crafted for their king). Since then the Brightblade have no real love for the Morns. Source: Doom of Daggerdale

quote:

Gold or Shield, which do you guys would fit better?

The dwarves of Tethyamar were shield dwarves, so I would say a shield dwarf would be the most immediately apparent choice. Source: Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting(Second Edition)

Edain Shadowstar
Archwizard of Rel Astra and Waterdeep

"Mmm…pie…"
- Gaius Solarian, Captain General
Go to Top of Page

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2010 :  12:00:10  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage Send Sian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gold Dwarves is nearly exclusivly stationed in Great Rift and its surroundings (Shining south and the south-southeasten coasts of Sea of Fallen stars)

what happened to the queen? she's much more hysterical than usual
She's a women, it happens once a month

Edited by - Sian on 02 Apr 2010 12:01:08
Go to Top of Page

Edain Shadowstar
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2010 :  12:57:24  Show Profile  Visit Edain Shadowstar's Homepage Send Edain Shadowstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by capnvan:

The fuller canon is told in Lost Empires of Faerun, under the Cormanthyr section.

Ahh yes, thank you. I could not for the life of me remember where that sidebar was (pages 134 and 135 of Lost Empires of Faerun, to be specific). I kept looking in The Grand History of the Realms for it.

Edain Shadowstar

"Mmm…pie…"
Go to Top of Page

HideousPhidias
Acolyte

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2010 :  17:23:28  Show Profile Send HideousPhidias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What happen in the it the retaking of Telkyamar that was attempted by Borlin blood of Ghellin, why did if fail?

And thanks for all the help
Go to Top of Page

Edain Shadowstar
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2010 :  12:01:21  Show Profile  Visit Edain Shadowstar's Homepage Send Edain Shadowstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

What happen in the it the retaking of Telkyamar that was attempted by Borlin blood of Ghellin, why did if fail?

This is mentioned at the end of the above mentioned sidebar from Lost Empires of Faerun where it notes that Borlin and the Mithral Legion's attempt to retake the mines in 1364 DR failed when after successfully breaching the mines they passed through an orc portal that deposited them deep in the mines. They were then picked apart one by one while trying to fight their way back to the surface, with Borlin dying last, in sight of the doors (after all, if you are going to crush a dwarf's dreams, why not really twist the knife in).

Edain Shadowstar

"Mmm…pie…"

Edited by - Edain Shadowstar on 03 Apr 2010 12:56:51
Go to Top of Page

HideousPhidias
Acolyte

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2010 :  04:56:18  Show Profile Send HideousPhidias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info on the fate of Borlin. I should have know that how it always ends for most dwarven quest, dying bloody at the locked door of your goal. I guess I cannot really be a veteran of the Mithril Legion if they all came to a bad end. Well it is back to the books to look for another plot hook to tie myself to. Maybe I should go with something to do with Zhentil Keep or Hillsfar. Those guys are evil bastards and always good for a good enemy.
Go to Top of Page

HideousPhidias
Acolyte

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2010 :  18:50:09  Show Profile Send HideousPhidias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The party so far:
Elven Wizard(conjurer) from The Elven Courts
Human Witch from Rashemen on walk about
Halfling Rogue loner

I was thinking maybe dwarf but been having trouble tying him in to the setting as well a would have hoped. I have had the idea of maybe playing a pare of dwarves, Thunder Twins. I want to play have the dominant one be the fighter and the other be more of a subservient role like a Cleric or Bard. My GM suggested a Barbarian, having the two Brothers be able to fight back to back because there isn't an other melee fighters n the group.

The tale of Thor'gon Blunt Blade and his Thunder Twin Thorseg Fire Foot

Thor'gon and his brother Thorseg are the last male heir to their clan line. Their father, uncles and 17 older cousins having been killed when Borlin Blood of Ghellin Lead the ill fated quest of the Mithril Legion to Telhyamar. Being spare from the carnage by luck of youth the two brothers inherited the wealth of the clan, what little was left.

Thor'gon seeking to wishing to honor the memories of the fallen set his wealth to a life goal becoming a Master of the Axe, Sheading his wealth to study under the greatest of Kensai and Weapon Master. He would spend many long cold years train in the simplest to the most advance of forms, knowing only pain and toil. Traveling as far south as the Great Rift to seek the Gold Dwarf Master Fargi the Foehunter and as far west Waterdeep to hear to the teaching of Dain IronFood and the master of the twin axe style, Yarb the Old. Thor'gon Traveled the land for much of the last ten years learn what he could. But this self exile did not come cheap, for when it came time to return home he had none. The cost of his debts had taken it. The money form his travels and Adventures never covered much of the need expense of inn living and having borrowed much gold from a neighbor dwarf hold his was forfeit when his debts came due.

Homeless, far in the south and on the of his gold Thor'gon took up with a mercenary group of dwarves from the Great Rift that seeking to join one of the Armies of Gold and quest to take back Old Shanatar. His skills with an axe were a welcome addition to the unit. Thor'gon traveled west again to the caverns of Alatorin Th quest for the Brightaxe Hall and other Lost dwarven ruins. The legion in which he fought saw combat against Drow Raiders, units of The Army of Steel and many monsters of the deep that now inhabit Old Shanatar. While in the Army of Gold Thor'gon has a policy of never letting his blade get dull, not even for a minute. He became know for taking time to sharpen his axe blade even it combat if he has a beak in the fighting for a few seconds. For this habit he became know as the Blunt Blade, a little joke among his friends in the legion

After two years of fighting Thor'gon found that his skill with an Axe was more honed they all his years of lesson before. Realizing that he had wasted much of his family fortune, Thor'gon left the Army and travel to the Daleland, where much of the dwarves of Telhyamar had settled. There he met up again with his brother Thorseg who told him of the fated store of what had befall their clan in his exile. Learning the tragic new Thor'gon vowed that he would neer leave his brothers side again and that together they would find allies and reclaim a hold and start anew. He now quested to make up for his ignorance and misspent youth, and vowed to serve his people of the Dales as a champion and never using family resources on a foolish personal quest again and killing all undead he meets.

Thorseg, unlike his twin brother was a simple dwarf. He enjoyed the life of the Dales and the people in it. Due the cast of the travels of his brother there was not much left for Thorseg in the ways of personal wealth. Thor'gon had made many bad deals to acquire money to have a war chest for his travels. These Deals cost what was left of the clan, the widows and Thorseg himself to loss their hold and have to seek out a new home. They settled in a small village in Daggerdale. Their they set up shop along one of the trade roads as a way station for travelers, offering logging, blacksmithing and food stores as away of making a living. this life was not very dwarven by tradition, in fact the clan widow lived more like human woman then dwarves, keeping a house and not building a new stronghold.

After a few years of living like this a dark travel came to door of their inn. This tall man was none other that no of the vampire that had been plaguing the area. This vampire made short work of the older females that ran the inn household, sucking life from each of them. As the this newly revitalized vampire move from out building to out building, attacking a draining his victims he was finally noticed by Thorseg, who has been busy at work in the smith. The Dark Stranger, with blood stained clothing made for Thorseg, it was only with quick thinking a luck the he was able to kick over a bucket of hot coals was he able to escape the fate of the others. The coal set fire to the old wooden barn where Thorseg had built his forge and quickly spread to the other out building and the inn. The vampire now encircled by a ring of fire lost track of Thorseg in the heat and smoke. Thorseg barely made it out of this vastly growing inferno, made for the wood and the river. He new from fire side stories of the inn house that vampire had an aversion to running water and that it may be his only chance for safety and life. Plunging head long in to the the water Thorseg was quickly over matched my the fast moving water and cared down stream. He washed up have drowned but still alive a few miles down stream and on the other bank. Much of his once Great beard was burned by the ember of the falling coals as well as his left boot. In his haste he had not even noticed that oiled leather of his boot had be light afire by the red hot coals as he kicked it. Knowing the lands around his home well he made his way as quickly as he could with a lame foot to local farm house to seek add. In the days that followed Thorseg recovered what he could of his goods and entombed the last of his clan line. From the retelling of his tail by the fire side in the inn house of DaggerDale Thorseg became know as Thorseg the Fire Foot.

It has been some time sense he as seen or heard from his brother Thor'gon, but being a Thunder twin he always new that he was alive and which lands to find him. So Thorseg too became a wandering Dwarf living the life of the road. He quest for his brother to tell him what had become of the clan and seek a new life with the last of his family.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000