Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Realms of the Dead - "A Prayer for Brother Robert"
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
746 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2010 :  19:06:15  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I’m not familiar with any of Philip Athans work, except noting that he was the editor of some of the previous Realms anthologies. Constantly being confronted by Amaunator as a replacement for Lathander was a bit shocking, but didn’t detract from an excellent tale. Brother Robert, while not having a really Realms sounding name, is almost a non-hero. He is possibly the lowest ranking cleric in the church of Lathander/Amaunator in Dagger Falls, and gets roped into investigating a haunting. He is just naïve, browbeaten and low-ranking enough, and just infatuated enough with the damsel in distress, to take this task seriously.

As the story unfolds it becomes clear that he is wholly out of his depth, but with initially shaky faith in his patron, growing just enough to (not quite) keep up with the rising threat of the horror awaiting him on his quest, he prevails. Also, one of the most amusing and lecherous characters can be found in Three-feet, a regular of the ingloriously named Slurping Stirge tavern, whom Brother Robert has the misfortune to have to interview during his investigations. Only Terry Pratchett has ever made me laugh out loud as gleefully as reading those few pages featuring Three-feet. Great read!

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2010 :  23:15:28  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have loved about half of Phils work and I guess I'll just say didn't love the otherhalf. I really didn't know what to expect. I basically went in with a blank slate and was happily rewarded with a litte gem!!

I thouroughly enjoyed this tale.....I would rank it with RLB's as my favorite of RoTD so far. The "hero" is anything but.... I don't think he was even described as handsome! Just a regular grunt doing the hard work of a low level cleric. And the damsel is not a throw away either, with her revealing that she knew what she could be vetting into, but could not pass up the chance for a better life for her daughter... She was a well crafted and written.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Edited by - The Red Walker on 23 Jan 2010 23:16:43
Go to Top of Page

Tremaine
Seeker

United Kingdom
86 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2010 :  15:46:25  Show Profile Send Tremaine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really enjoyed this tale the investigation robelt held in the tavern before entering the haunted house was was Hilarious, i also enjoyed the character of robert because he was so timid but still felt the urge to do what was right, it makes a nice change fromm the self-confident heros

and the hands were a nice touch
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2010 :  17:54:16  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This was a good one. It was nice to have a Haunted House story mixed in with former Zhentarim and a whole bunch of Crawling Claws (I used a lot of these early in a campaign against my players so they would probably enjoy this tale as well). Nicely done!

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000