Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2010)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 104

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
536 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2010 :  00:39:13  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message
I never read that book personally. Is Sarintha Thann one of Danilo's sisters, or another relation to him?

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31684 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2010 :  01:19:25  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Penknight

I never read that book personally. Is Sarintha Thann one of Danilo's sisters, or another relation to him?

Hmmm. I don't recall seeing Sarintha referenced on Eric Boyd's "Thann family tree."

Mayhap she was a new creation for the novel? I can't recall at the moment.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5036 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2010 :  01:33:57  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Wooly, any or all three of those deities COULD aid the spellcaster, in that situation (being as he prayed to all of them), but Ed's in-campaign rule (and he created Azuth and Mystra) is that in all situations of "casting prowess" for spellcasters. if they're human, Azuth is THE guy.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5036 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2010 :  01:41:00  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
And hi yet again.
Sage, re. this, earlier, from me: "I'm sure there would have been scenes that made the personal feelings of any gay character(s) clear, but I doubt they would have been "sex scenes" as North America generally uses that term."

What I meant was: I don't think either Ed or Elaine would have written explicit homosexual sex scenes (and if they had, I don't think the editors at Wizards would have let them make it into print), but I can see both Ed and Elaine having same-gender characters talking to each other, in private, that would make their feelings for each other clear to any reader. Without any physical sexual activity or necessarily any contact (e.g. hugging) at all.

Please bear in mind this is MY OPINION (based on discussions about the published book with Ed, after I read it), not something gleaned through "seeing the uncut original manuscript" or anything of the sort. Both Ed and Elaine may well disagree with me. Yet I'm not trying to push "my view," I'm trying to give you my best guess as to how these two writers, one of whom I know rather well, and both of whom I've read darned near every published fantasy fiction word of (not just their Realms work), would have handled such matters, in CITY OF SPLENDORS.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31684 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2010 :  02:05:11  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
Neat.

Would it be possible to pose this question to Ed as well, for his personal opinion on that matter?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29651 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2010 :  04:00:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi again, all.
Wooly, any or all three of those deities COULD aid the spellcaster, in that situation (being as he prayed to all of them), but Ed's in-campaign rule (and he created Azuth and Mystra) is that in all situations of "casting prowess" for spellcasters. if they're human, Azuth is THE guy.
love,
THO

I figured it would be something like that, but I wanted to make sure.

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 14 Jan 2010 04:08:58
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31684 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2010 :  04:17:29  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Neat.

Would it be possible to pose this question to Ed as well, for his personal opinion on that matter?

Actually, disregard that, my Lady. I've got some other similar points I would like to discuss with Ed -- issues of NPC sexuality that recently came up during my last gaming session. I wouldn't mind Ed's input, but I'll send the request via email instead.

Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2010 :  09:08:17  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
Oh, don't be shy Sage. I am sure others here at the keep want to know as well... :P
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31684 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2010 :  16:07:26  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by gomez

Oh, don't be shy Sage. I am sure others here at the keep want to know as well... :P

Actually, it's more about ensuring that two players from my campaign, who sometimes visit Ed's scroll, won't see what I'm planning.

Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2010 :  19:57:54  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
Another quick question which came up randomly as I was going through names: Why did the Seven Sisters change their names? Alassra is known almost exclusively as The Simbul, and I doubt anyone knows who Ethena Astorma, Anastra Sylune, Endue Alustriel, Ambara Dove, Anamanue Laeral, Er'sseae Qilue are. Why did they feel the need to use their second names, or change them? Was it just a matter of dislike, as it seems Dove has as a child in the Temptation of Elminster? Or is it something deeper?

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions – just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."
Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Learned Scribe

224 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2010 :  20:05:19  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message
So I have a fun question for Ed or our Hooded Lady.

City of Splendors describes some of the Crazed Venturers, in its blurb for Nain Keenwhistler it states, "current record holder for most resurrections of any citizen of Waterdeep."

What's the number? I get a feeling there are some funny stories behind this, care to share any of them? Is there someone in Waterdeep that keeps track of this sort of like a Guinness Book of World Records in Waterdeep?

Thanks and I hope this finds all well.

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5036 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2010 :  23:23:26  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Gelcur, I believe it's over 20 (the number of Nain's resurrections). The character, played by Ken Woods (co-founder and -owner of the increasingly famous Black Oak microbrewery, of Oakville, Ontario), had an unfortunate habit of getting killed in company adventures. A lot.
This "habit" became something of a black humour standing joke amongst Ed's players at the time (before my time). Ed kept detailed written play-by-play logbooks in those days, written out in longhand DURING PLAY. I've seen some of them, and one recurring phrase is ". . . killing Nain. Again."
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5036 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2010 :  23:29:12  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Menelvagor,
As it happens, I've discussed the names of the Seven Sisters with Ed a time or sixteen over the years, and it's not necessarily that they changed them, or disliked those they were given...it's a matter of settling, for a wide variety of reasons, on the names they felt most comfortable using, for the wider public, over all the centuries they've been alive. For some it may have started as dislike of their names (or the nicknames derived from them), for others it was just a preference for one name, or a variant of it ("Storm" for "Astorma"), over the other, and several of the Seven became associated with a particular kingdom under one name, and later wanted to disappear for a time and "die" offstage, so as not to attract attention as long-lived, or perhaps immortal . . . so they switched to using another name. The names they appear in published Realmslore under are the names they've settled on, and are known by, in the 1300s DR. (For more on their lives, see Ed's "must have" 2nd edition sourcebook THE SEVEN SISTERS.)
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2010 :  12:36:25  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
Oh, another quick question (I'm getting rather annoying with these, aren't I?):
We were playing a bit yesterday, and a group of Sembians approached the group, offering money for something. The group went into a huddle whether to accept the offer or not, where one of us said: "There is a famous saying from where I come from: 'Beware Sembians bearing money'."
My question is whether there is a Realms version of the saying 'Beware Greeks bearing gifts'., and where does it come from? And if it exists, is it used only in some areas, or does it have different variations in other areas?

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions – just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5036 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2010 :  17:35:49  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Menelvagor, you're not being annoying; asking questions is what this thread is for.

There are several similar Realms sayings, but the most applicable is probably:
"A Sembian has a heart of grasping gold."
Which has many regional variants, and 'began life' as the still-popular "An Amnian has a heart of grasping gold."
It's actually a shortening of a literary quotation, from an anonymous chapbook of the early 1300s, that contained the line: "A man of Amn has a heart that grasps and thirsts for gold, and eyes that can see nothing else."
This lore comes from some very old (circa 1969) Ed notes, that I once read in his paper-heaped study.
So there, as they say, you have it.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2010 :  19:58:46  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
Nice quote... did the chapbook have a title?
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2010 :  22:00:55  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello All,

Would you say powerful undead would have sought out Mythanthar's Orbs since they block passage of living creatures or are there other versions of this magic item possibly created during the 1370's?
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1071 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2010 :  17:10:31  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage  Click to see khorne's MSN Messenger address Send khorne a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Gelcur, I believe it's over 20 (the number of Nain's resurrections). The character, played by Ken Woods (co-founder and -owner of the increasingly famous Black Oak microbrewery, of Oakville, Ontario), had an unfortunate habit of getting killed in company adventures. A lot.
This "habit" became something of a black humour standing joke amongst Ed's players at the time (before my time). Ed kept detailed written play-by-play logbooks in those days, written out in longhand DURING PLAY. I've seen some of them, and one recurring phrase is ". . . killing Nain. Again."
love,
THO

At least 20? Poor sod.

and speaking of something completely different, has Ed or you seen James Cameron's Avatar? And if so, what did you think of it?

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2010 :  17:25:10  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
AVATAR was asked about (and answered) at the end of last year's version of this thread.
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2010 :  19:27:23  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Broken Helm

Dear Ed and THO,
Can you tell us any heraldic information about any Cormyrean nobles who might be seen hunting (or riding, for any other reason) in the westernmost reaches of Cormyr, pre-Spellplague (i.e. ending at the mountains, not reaching into Tunland).

Let me add to this question, milady THO: could Ed perhaps give any heraldic information about the three Silver families (Huntsilver, Crownsilver and Truesilver), i.e. descriptions of their respective coats-of-arms?

It would be really, really helpful for me, as these families play an important role in my Cormyr campaign.

Thanks to you both in advance!

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31684 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2010 :  23:33:20  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Malcolm

AVATAR was asked about (and answered) at the end of last year's version of this thread.

Indeed.

See THO's 13 Dec. reply here.

Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Learned Scribe

224 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2010 :  23:45:28  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message
Hehe, thank you Hooded Lady. Seems there is always one in most groups that builds that sort of name for his characters.

On an unrelated note is there any chance that would get Ed's corrected Yawning Portal map? You had mentioned a few years back that it was sent in for Expedition to Undermountain but alas got missed again. Is it just the old map with a longer common room or is it completely different? Maybe just a few hints as to what it looks like even.

Thanks again.

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2010 :  01:37:57  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello All,

I am wondering if a woman's cycle ever came up in gameplay, are there herbal remedies or potions to arrest or slow the bleeding in vital situations.

Example, a female ranger is attempting to scout out enemy camp, her cycle complicates her ability to remain hidden by scent I would think unless there are herbs to cover her smell, secondly how is the actual bleeding dealt with?

What about just social events and a woman has her period, what is done to prevent staining her undergarments? And how is blood washed out of white clothing, silk, etc???
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Master of Realmslore

1960 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2010 :  03:55:38  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
that would indeed be an interesting answer....
but I'd wager that you might not see an answer there....

and said blood would likely get on said loincloth and thrown out before it would get on silk and such formal outfits....

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29651 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2010 :  05:27:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
There's at least a couple of relative bits from Ed that we've already seen, on the topic of menstruation. These are copied from my files; the dates come from the dates on the files, so they may be slightly off:

From an April 2004 post about undergarments and seduction:

quote:
For the lower half of the body, both men and women wear clouts: a very tight leather, cloth, or cord (listed here in descending order of perceived quality and durability) belt worn around the hips, and usually held tight by multiple hooks (like a modern bra) at the front. Then a long, diaper-like strip of rectangular cloth (usually cotton) is passed between the legs, up through the front of the belt to dangle down, and up through the back of the belt to dangle down. In other words, the “breechclout” of some native American tribes. In many cases, the dangling front and back ends are designed to be tied together, and the cloth may be folded in on itself for extra absorbency or padding (especially when the wearer expects to be riding a mount). Menstruating women usually place another layer or two of red-hued cloth inside the clout and change this as necessary, and yes, clouts can be purchased that are decorative and ‘made to be seen.’ Freshly-perfumed clouts are often sold in Waterdeep and other large cities.

From a July 2006 post about feminine hygiene (the 2004 post mentioned here is the one I clipped for the above quote):
quote:
Second: menstrual cycles and their treatment. Social and practical. Social: Selune, Chauntea, and many other deities keep “closeness to natural cycles” strong in the minds of all Faerûnians; there’s no religious or societal stigma about menstruation. Women aren’t regarded as “unclean” at any time, menses are no bar to sexual activity, and any embarrassment is purely of the “Oh, now I’ve stained a nice [or borrowed] garment” variety. Menstruation is never called “the curse” or anything of the sort in the Realms; in Faerûn, it’s “lifeblood” or “moonblood” or even “Selune’s kiss” or “under the moon” (as in: “I’m under the moon just now, so pack extra redcloths”).
Time for the practical. Please see my reply on page 21 of my 2004 replies, here at Candlekeep, for information about undergarments (specifically clouts and redcloths).
Blood-stained “redcloths” will be washed or at least rinsed out daily, often in scented water. To avoid being tracked by beasts following scent, wilderland-travelling women often discard (by burying them) redcloths as they go; if they can find dew or any sort of water in which to wash the cloths (including stagnant swampwater), they’ll do so, often dousing the cloth with perfume beforehand to minimize any odours the water causes. The most popular “travelling wash” for redcloths (practiced, for example, by women stopping at a rustic inn) is cheap wine followed by rinsing with rainbarrel water. Please bear in mind that there’s no embarrassment or stigma attached to this, even for young females experiencing their first menses; no one will be trying to do this “on the sly,” and inns high and low will anticipate this need and have facilities for it (that’s why there are ewers of water sitting in washbasins in most inn rooms, AND spare washbasins underneath beds, alongside the chamberpots). Most inns and taverns do a busy daily trade in buying new redcloths and disposing of old ones (they become scrubbing rags).

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 18 Jan 2010 05:29:18
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 104 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000