Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Edition Questions
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

exiledv2
Acolyte

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2009 :  11:55:42  Show Profile  Visit exiledv2's Homepage Send exiledv2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I would like some advice in regards to editions and classifications of various Forgotten Realms RPG products, specifically of the 1st and 2nd editions. I have no problem classifying products as 3rd edition due to the clear break that was presented in the edition change, but I find it much harder to classify the earlier editions.

As an example, the 2nd Edition FR Campaign Set came out in 1993 and so everything from its publication forward would be considered 2nd edition material. However, you clearly have items like The Horde boxed set that was produced in 1990. Since it comes previous to the 2nd edition FR boxed set, one would normally include it with the 1st edition supplements. However, it utilizes 2nd edition rules.

I suppose the real question is where the bright line is separating FR 1st from FR 2nd. Does it begin with the FR 2nd boxed set or should all items that include AD&D 2nd edition rules be included? What is the opinion of the forum?

Also, which items would you consider to be vital to the 1st edition metaplot? Forgotten Realms Adventures would be the bright line for the metaplot between the two editions, but the FRE1-3 adventures are 2nd edition and were produced a year before FRA.

[I should also note that I use a classification code for each RPG product in accordance to what type of product it is. That follows here.]

0000R# BASIC RPG & EDITION
0001R# PLAYER'S GUIDE
0002R# GM'S GUIDE

1000 BASIC RULES SUPPLEMENT
1001 PLAYER CHARACTER SUPPLEMENT
1002 WEAPON/EQUIPMENT/ITEM SUPPLEMENT
1003 BESTIARY SUPPLEMENT
1004 MAGIC/PSIONIC/RELIGIOUS SUPPLEMENT
1005 NPC SUPPLEMENT
1006 GENERIC ANTAGONIST SUPPLEMENT

2000 BASIC SETTING
2001 HISTORICAL/CULTURAL SETTING SUPPLEMENT
2002 GEOGRAPHICAL-SPECIFIC SUPPLEMENT
2003 ORGANIZATION-SPECIFIC SUPPLEMENT
2004 ANTAGONIST-SPECIFIC SUPPLEMENT
2005 COSMOLOGY SUPPLEMENT
2006 PLAYER VARIANTS

3000 ADVENTURE
3001 CAMPAIGN
3002 METAPLOT
3003 SOLO ADVENTURE

4000 PLAYER CHARACTER SHEETS
4001 GM/REFERENCE SHEETS
4002 MAPS
4003 FICTION
4004 MAGAZINE/ARTICLES
4005 NETBOOKS

5000+ ALTERNATE SETTINGS WITHIN MAIN GAME

Regards,

The Exiled, V.2

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2009 :  12:44:31  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by exiledv2

I suppose the real question is where the bright line is separating FR 1st from FR 2nd. Does it begin with the FR 2nd boxed set or should all items that include AD&D 2nd edition rules be included? What is the opinion of the forum?

Not sure if this is a matter of opinion, it's more a matter of fact .

FRE1-3 were written especially to make the transition from 1st Edition rules to 2nd Edition rules. You have to distinguish between the transit between the 2nd Boxed Set (published in 1993) and the OGb on the one hand, and the transition between 1st Edition rules and 2nd Edition rules (which were published in 1989).

All adventures and supplements issued after the publication of the 2nd Edition PHB, DMG, etc., were written for 2nd Edition rules. It's probably easiest to enumerate the source material which uses 1st Edition rules:
  • 1st Edition Boxed Set (the Old Grey Box)
  • Sourcebooks FR1-Waterdeep, FR2-Moonshae, FR3-Empires of the Sand, FR4-The Magister, FR5-The Savage Frontier, FR6-Dreams of the Red Wizards, the City System boxed set
  • Adventures: FRC1-Ruins of Adventures, I3-5 Desert of Desolation, I14-Swords of the Iron Legion, N4-Treasure Hunt, N5-Under Illefarn

• The Kara-Tur boxed set and the modules OA1 to OA7

There is, as far as I can tell, one transitory product, in addition to FRE1-3. FR7-Hall of Heroes, bears the 2nd Editon Advanced Dungeons and Dragons logo, but all the NPC descriptions in the book use 1st Edition format (Two examples: Azoun IV is still listed as a cavalier, and Entreri is still listed as an assassin, whereas neither class was carried over to the 2nd edition rules, although both were later revived as kits).
Everything published after the productes listed above was written for 2nd edition rules, even though, strictly speaking, they continued to build on the 1st edition boxed set.

Edit: Missed this part of the question.
quote:
Originally posted by exiledv2

Also, which items would you consider to be vital to the 1st edition metaplot? Forgotten Realms Adventures would be the bright line for the metaplot between the two editions, but the FRE1-3 adventures are 2nd edition and were produced a year before FRA.

Hmmm... I am not sure what you mean by "metaplot". My take on it is that the Forgotten Realms were never supposed to have overarching plots (at least originally). The OGB and, to a certain extent, the 2nd FR Box were not supposed to advance any particular plots, they were just supposed to provide Players and DMs with a background to set adventures and entire campaigns in. (Unlike, say, Dragonlance, where the world was built around a couple of overarching plots). The Avatar crisis (with modules FRE1-3) was the first step in the Realms to create evolution in the settinng. The tendency towards metaplots (and, more in particular, RSEs) accelerated in the mid-nineties (after the WotC takeover, I just now realised) when the emphasis shifted from RPG products and supplements to novels, and to more specifically, novels about RSEs (the Threat from the Sea, and the return of Shade in particular, but there must be some others whose name escaped me). The novels created (or resulted in) a need for change in the setting. I've never been a fan of that evolution.

Edited by - Thauramarth on 24 Dec 2009 13:58:41
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000