Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Character creation guidlines (some suggestions)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mystery_Man
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2003 :  13:54:12  Show Profile  Visit Mystery_Man's Homepage Send Mystery_Man a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic

What are some of the things you DM's of the Realms look for in your characters?

I'm looking for some help to keep my players from getting out of hand but I want to stay away from any rules altering, negating type restrctions.

Going to be using the 3.5 rules.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Salabasha
Learned Scribe

Portugal
216 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2003 :  15:16:46  Show Profile  Visit Salabasha's Homepage Send Salabasha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well this http://www.wizards.com/D20/article.asp?x=srd35 has lots of 3.5 rules and such. Maybe something there will help you out.

Life is like a box of chocolates. Once you eat the poisoned one you die.
Go to Top of Page

Mystery_Man
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2003 :  18:35:38  Show Profile  Visit Mystery_Man's Homepage Send Mystery_Man a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, I have all that.

What I'm looking for are things like no psioinics, no more than +2 ECL characters etc..

What do you guys use for your game.

I hope that clarifies a bit.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2003 :  08:07:44  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I base things around personalities.

I've one wizard who is curious about everything in the world, especially magic; he views magic as both art and tool. He has a companion who thinks of magic as something sacred; however, my character is far from above using magic for mundane purposes, such as for earning money. He's had some experience in using cantrips to aid a bard's performance, for instance. He delights in the wonder that magic can bring, as well as the ways it can ease people's lives.
(Alignment: Chaotic Good.)

I've another wizard who is much more cynical about things. Where the first considers people in their best possible light, this guy expects most people to be hypocritical. He sees magic as a tool, and a powerful one at that. He also has a focus on fighting-magics, and especially with fire. (He has the feats Bloodline of Fire, Elemental Substitution (fire), and Pyro.) He hates the cold. However, he isn't without his gentler side; the laughter of children and a good song can bring a smile to his face, even if he tries to hide it. He also detests the idea of slavery and bondage in any form (surprising for a person-from-Calimshan (since I've noticed the forum doesn't like the other term)).
(Alignment: Chaotic Neutral)

Moving aside from wizards, I've a fighter who is as light on his feet as he is in his heart. He shuns armor of any kind (the automatic proficiencies for armor and shield are traded for things like Dodge and Expertise), trusting to his quick ways to get him out of trouble. (By the way, this is a fighter aiming for the Duelist PrC.) However, he doesn't always do the right thing. He also doesn't feel as though he fits in anywhere, so he never seems to stay in one place for long.
(Alignment: Chaotic Good)

Another personality that I haven't really fleshed out (that is, to an actual character) could go to either a monk or another fighter. He's extremely focused, almost single-minded in his pursuit of his goals. This is reflected in his class. The monk is obvious; the fighter, though, is an archer. Every feat is taken to better the archery. Everything is secondary to his bow, his arrow, and his target. Whether monk or archer, this personality lives to test himself against every obstacle, knowing his limits but always pushing at them. Far from reckless, he never does anything without a purpose.
(Alignment: Lawful Neutral)

Those are the personalities I've developed so far. I don't have many, since I focus on the roleplaying aspect more than anything else. However, the second and third were both inspired by game mechanics; the former by the Pyro feat as far as the fire-focus goes (as well as the fact that he's from Calimshan); the latter by (obviously) the Duelist PrC.

I prefer the personality method because (in my opinion, as in many here) the story is what comes first. Of course, I'm an amateur writer, and I always think in terms of stories. But the point is I think that you can't really figure out what your character is until you know who he (or she) is.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

NightElf
Seeker

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2003 :  13:50:10  Show Profile  Visit NightElf's Homepage Send NightElf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, my old DnD character was quite a bloke to run. At Lawful Good alignment (hard enough to run with just that!), a High Ranking Paladin following the rulings of the Lord of the Dead (Kelemvorite), he was quite a character. My dm helped me make him, and I can suggest to attempt to make a good balance through the party, as well as a very important facter

AVOID CHAOTIC EVIL PCS!!!

Chaotic Evil PCs are a nightmare to play and DM, they have to role play arrogance and a very low respect for other members of the party, which can lead to fighting amoungst the players. Friends can fall out over this, as I found out

Also try to keep the game entertaining. Have your character(s) make frequent contributions to the game. I must say that I hate it when players sit back and watch the others try to work something out when that character could have it done in seconds (it happened with my last party, a rogue tried for twenty minutes to open a lock but couldn't, the player with the mage sat back and watched when he have 3 Knock spells memorised!)

"Those who watch their backs meet death from the front"
Go to Top of Page

Mystery_Man
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2003 :  15:46:03  Show Profile  Visit Mystery_Man's Homepage Send Mystery_Man a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, thanks Bookwyrm those are great examples.

quote:
I prefer the personality method because (in my opinion, as in many here) the story is what comes first. Of course, I'm an amateur writer, and I always think in terms of stories. But the point is I think that you can't really figure out what your character is until you know who he (or she) is.

I share that same opinion, I'm trying to break some of my players of the "kill the monster get the treasure and XP" mentality. Short of killing their characters when they jump into (most) things they can't handle I'm at kind of a loss.

Was there any special guidline or method to creating your characters personalities?

I'm going to insist that they come up with a history and reason why they're adventuring the night we create characters for the new campaign. We'll do it as a group I think. And basically I'm not going to let them play until that's done.

Anyways, any ideas?
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2003 :  04:37:59  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, since they tend more to the smash-and-swipe sort of play, tell them to set a goal for the character. It doesn't have to be set in stone -- no part has to be permanent, though they should tell you (as the DM) before doing anything major, and should in fact give you updates anytime they change more than a word or two (assuming that it isn't related directly to the game as played, in which case you should have it already).

What sort of character do they want to play? The strong, but slow-thinking barbarian? The focused spellcaster? The paladin who sees everything as a matter of honor?

Tell them to take their character stats (since they're likely to do that first) and infer how a person like that might act in real life (or at least "game" life ). Feel free to use the suggestions I've put out in your own questions.

I'm sure that at least one of them will choose the new version of the ranger; ask that one which weapon-path (s)he'll take. If it's the archer, then you can suggest something like the archer I mentioned. Though perhaps a better way for that person would be to ask if his character would be more like Aragorn (a sword-focused ranger) or Legolas (a bow-focused ranger).

Ask the wizard how long he or she has spent studying, and how serious that character is about magic. Is it a tool, to be used when needed? Or is it truly an Art, something to be respected and not used lightly?

The paladin might have to stay Lawful Good, but that doesn't mean he has to act stuffy and aloof. Is he the sort of person who will bend the rules for the (far) greater good? (Will he break out of jail to be back on his quest, or wait for the judge to decide if he's actually as innocent as he claims?)

Another thing to think about is demanding that your players give you at least one page (from a computer, or the equivilent for handwritten) of background, not counting the space that the game info takes up. It should make sense (not meaning proper grammar -- I mean they can't contradict themselves) and detail their immeadiate family, who is still alive, their first loves (if any), and what all of them did/do for a living.

Perhaps the paladin literally has an evil twin; perhaps their mother was cursed to have one be lawful good and the other chaotic evil (sort of a true neutral split down the middle). Perhaps the barbarian has a vendetta against someone who killed his father. Perhaps the wizard studied the Arts to prove to his father that brains do get you somewhere, and that being physically strong isn't everything. Perhaps the rogue doesn't actually care about money for its own sake, and instead uses thievery as a means to test herself against the challenge of a good trap or puzzle.

Tell them that everything, even their equipment, has to be justified by the character they make. The cheerful bard is likely to use a rapier; the timid rogue would prefer to use ranged weapons and stay out of reach. The cleric might not care about weapons at all, and prefer to heal rather than harm.

Ask also about how the character treats the outside world, especially other characters. In the PHB, each class has an "Other Classes" entry; tell them to make one for their own character. For instance, that second wizard I mentioned: I forgot to say that he doesn't think too much of sorcercers and divine spellcasters. He grants that they're useful, and doesn't really have anything against him, but a cleric doesn't (to his mind) work for his or her power; a wizard actually earns it. This is true of all spellcasting characters, except for (sometimes) bards, and for those with spell-like abilities, unless they earn them like monks usually do.

That's all that's coming to mind right now. Is there anything you would like me to elaborate on?

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.

Edited by - Bookwyrm on 23 Aug 2003 17:58:47
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2003 :  10:46:35  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ohh...

Bookwyrm, you may want to clean up that small italics error.... Remember, you have a certain standard to maintain now that you are a Master of Realmslore...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 23 Aug 2003 10:47:56
Go to Top of Page

Mystery_Man
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2003 :  13:51:21  Show Profile  Visit Mystery_Man's Homepage Send Mystery_Man a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
That's all that's coming to mind right now. Is there anything you would like me to elaborate on?

I'd be delighted, great stuff, thanks.

If anything else pops in just post it in here.

I'm thinking we'll be devoting an entire night to character creation.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2003 :  18:07:13  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Elf_Friend

Only one night? I'm still developing my characters. Whether it's writting or gaming, creating a story is a very organic process.

quote:
Originally posted by Sage of Perth

Ohh...

Bookwyrm, you may want to clean up that small italics error.... Remember, you have a certain standard to maintain now that you are a Master of Realmslore...

What can I say? I'm a loyuhsat tytpiust I mean, 'lousy typist'.

(+, i kant spel 2 sav mi lif. )

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2003 :  10:05:06  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elf_Friend said -
quote:
That seems a little restrictive. Most of the PC's I have created have been the end result of many days of careful study and preparation. As the Bookwyrm said, it is a very organic process.

For example, my signature PC Rastromo Meradoc...the famed Sage of Perth is always under development. The best thing is to never completely close the door - so to speak - on the creation of your PC. The necessary steps at PC creation are important yes, but that should not stop the character from evolving and doing things that you may not have considered when you first created the PC.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Mystery_Man
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2003 :  12:05:29  Show Profile  Visit Mystery_Man's Homepage Send Mystery_Man a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sage of Perth

Elf_Friend said -
quote:
That seems a little restrictive. Most of the PC's I have created have been the end result of many days of careful study and preparation. As the Bookwyrm said, it is a very organic process.

For example, my signature PC Rastromo Meradoc...the famed Sage of Perth is always under development. The best thing is to never completely close the door - so to speak - on the creation of your PC. The necessary steps at PC creation are important yes, but that should not stop the character from evolving and doing things that you may not have considered when you first created the PC.

Oh I understand what you're saying. What I meant was we're all going to sit down together and get all the important details and foundations laid down for the PC's and that may take quite some time.

It will of course be an ongoing project, developing the characters (I hope) as the campaign developes.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000