Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Spellfire the card game?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Farah Jade
Acolyte

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2009 :  14:16:02  Show Profile  Visit Farah Jade's Homepage Send Farah Jade a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Does anyone out there still play Spellfire, the card game? It was out before magic, and I have about 800 cards and play with my son. Am I the only person that remembers that?

~The difference between a rogue and a hero often comes down to who tells the tale~

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2009 :  15:16:10  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I used to have an Elminster card that was rules-modded by Ed to say he was immune to all spells except 'turtle soup'. Complete with his signature.

Which, alas, got stolen at a later convention. Le sigh.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2009 :  00:22:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Farah Jade

Does anyone out there still play Spellfire, the card game? It was out before magic, and I have about 800 cards and play with my son. Am I the only person that remembers that?

It came out after Magic -- well after. It was an attempt to cash in on the CCG craze; after Magic finally got noticed (because it was around for at least a year before it blew up), a lot of other companies tried to get in on that action.

I loved the game, and dropped way too much money on it (that's part of the reason I refuse to touch any collectible games, now). I had several themed decks; 2 FR ones, a Greyhawk one, a Dragginglance one, a Dark Sun one, a Ravenloft one, and a psionic one. I might have had one or two others, as well.

In the end, my friends and I played it so much we got burned out on it. And then, years later, my cards themselves were burned in a fire.

I see them pop up on eBay every now and again, generally for quite cheap.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Simbul
Learned Scribe

173 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2009 :  04:11:06  Show Profile  Visit The Simbul's Homepage Send The Simbul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

I used to have an Elminster card that was rules-modded by Ed to say he was immune to all spells except 'turtle soup'. Complete with his signature.

I find it prudent at this point to note that there is an actual spell called Turtle Soup..it being one of first spells created by Alustriel :)

Though I am sure you already knew this, I felt it would be interesting to point out for anyone else stumbling upon this thread.

As for the Spellfire game, I was intrigued when I first heard about it, but became disenchanted when I realized the artwork for The Simbul was the same picture that appears on The Seven Sisters and Secrets of the Magister books, as well as one of the boxed sets.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2009 :  05:02:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Simbul

quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

I find it prudent at this point to note that there is an actual spell called Turtle Soup..it being one of first spells created by Alustriel :)

Though I am sure you already knew this, I felt it would be interesting to point out for anyone else stumbling upon this thread.

As for the Spellfire game, I was intrigued when I first heard about it, but became disenchanted when I realized the artwork for The Simbul was the same picture that appears on The Seven Sisters and Secrets of the Magister books, as well as one of the boxed sets.

Yeah, a lot of the art was either recycled, or crappy, or both. Towards the end, there, TSR spent little on new artwork.

Go to Top of Page

Farah Jade
Acolyte

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2009 :  12:31:35  Show Profile  Visit Farah Jade's Homepage Send Farah Jade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, a lot of the artwork is off the covers of the books and they do recycle them. But they are nice to have. A rules modified Elminster would have been great. He is strong enough as it is in the game, I however, never had The Simbul and that would have made my day!!! I have none of the 7 sisters, and very little of the main characters from FR. I think the most common one is Drizzt. Back years ago, I had Cattie-Brie and Bruenor Battlehammer. But I never had the seven sisters, and I would love to find Dove Falconhand or Storm Silverhand just to have. I wouldn't mind having the Simbul either, just to have. Alas, it has not happened.

~The difference between a rogue and a hero often comes down to who tells the tale~
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2009 :  00:15:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yes, a lot of the artwork is off the covers of the books and they do recycle them. But they are nice to have. A rules modified Elminster would have been great. He is strong enough as it is in the game, I however, never had The Simbul and that would have made my day!!! I have none of the 7 sisters, and very little of the main characters from FR. I think the most common one is Drizzt. Back years ago, I had Cattie-Brie and Bruenor Battlehammer. But I never had the seven sisters, and I would love to find Dove Falconhand or Storm Silverhand just to have. I wouldn't mind having the Simbul either, just to have. Alas, it has not happened.

I don't recall which characters were or were not on cards... I know I had the complete set for the first several series, including most or all of the chase cards. The only specific card I recall off the top of my head was one of the chase cards from the first run: Gib Htimsen, a level 9 monster that was immune to practically everything.

Go to Top of Page

Farah Jade
Acolyte

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2009 :  11:49:35  Show Profile  Visit Farah Jade's Homepage Send Farah Jade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I have him. The card for Midnight was off the cover of Tantras, the card for Adom was off Shadowdale, the Drizzt was off Legacy. Hellcat ally was a picture of Guen off Legacy. In the Dragonlance chase, the picture of Cyan Bloodbane is off artwork for Dragons of Summer Flame, the picture of Par-Salian is actually a picture of Palin Majere off the book about the heroes children. In the Ravenloft chase, the picture for Strahd, is off the book, I, Strahd, and those are just off the top of my head. They are are pretty much like that.

Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2009 :  08:54:54  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
[ The only specific card I recall off the top of my head was one of the chase cards from the first run: Gib Htimsen, a level 9 monster that was immune to practically everything.

God, I hated him. Especially during the early days of the game, before many of the basic cards were improved. I thought Spellfire was a great game ten years ago, perfect for short breaks in the rpg game. Maybe its time to put together a couple of decks again.

As for the pictures; the reuse didn't bother me, but the ridiculous photographies of people in costumes used on some of the later cards were terrible.
Go to Top of Page

Farah Jade
Acolyte

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2009 :  12:28:31  Show Profile  Visit Farah Jade's Homepage Send Farah Jade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I taught my son to play a couple of years ago, and he loves to play with me, I don't know why after all those years I was inspired to go buy Spellfire cards again (it had been about 10 years since I had played), but we really do enjoy it. As for regular RPG games, no one around where I live has ever really been into it, so that's all I had.

Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2009 :  02:11:59  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was always curious about Spellfire. I tried several times to get some cards to have a look, but usually the bids on ebay went up to something I didn't really feel like investing in.

How was the game played? Similar to Magic?
Go to Top of Page

Farah Jade
Acolyte

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2009 :  03:56:45  Show Profile  Visit Farah Jade's Homepage Send Farah Jade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I never played Magic, so I don't know. But, you have your hero cards which consist of Wizards, Clerics, Monsters, Champions, etc., and they have allies and spells, and magical items and artifacts, and you must use them to defend the realms that you are building against the other players in battles. It's kind of confusing explaining it here. But we really have fun.

Go to Top of Page

woodwwad
Learned Scribe

USA
267 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2009 :  04:01:58  Show Profile  Visit woodwwad's Homepage Send woodwwad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I think it came out after magic actually. It did at the game store I went to anyway. I had the full set of Ravenloft cards, about 100. I think it was a poorly done card game. I use to play a lot of magic and that's a much better game. Vampire's Jhyad game was good too. But I didn't care for Spellfire, the cards were just reprint art and the rules weren't fluid. I sold my cards on ebay about 2 years ago, so I guess someone plays the game. But I didn't care for it.

Check out my reviews on youtube of Forgotten Realms and other rpg products. http://www.youtube.com/user/woodwwad?feature=mhum
Go to Top of Page

prespos
Acolyte

Canada
25 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2010 :  03:47:48  Show Profile  Visit prespos's Homepage Send prespos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh, do I remember Spellfire?
I can't forget!

I used to play that all the time with my bro:
we would actually always use one 500 card deck
(I guess you could use an 800 card deck).

No one knew what to expect, and we would get into great 'discussions' (shouting at each other and wrestling) over gray areas in the rules.
(Much more fun than Sage Advice, and highly recommended for all games in general, not just Spellfire). I remember those sessions lasting all Sunday afternoon, sometimes, and I think we would play with 10 realms, not 6.

Now, the interesting thing is that there were 2 reference guides.
Almost all of those cards has a story behind it, and when you read some of those books, years later, those cards seem to come alive again. It would be nice to see a Spellfire bibliography, that gave further details ...

Alas, most of those cards are in binders, now, but I do have a Spellfire 'Tarot' (about 200-300 FR cards, in a box), made of just Realms cards, that I would shuffle, every once and a while, for adventure ideas and general 'what if' ruminations. Hmm, now that I think of it, I wonder if there is any truth to what that old gypsy woman says?

prespos

PS.
http://www.moddi.com/php/nuke/html/index.php

is one of the main Spellfire sites.

Like Unlimited Adventures, it inspires a devoted following, after all these years!

A Dictionary of Literary Terms
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Ithaca/3462/literms.htm
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000