Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Ways to Immortality and long life
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Nilus Reynard
Learned Scribe

Canada
137 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2019 :  23:56:10  Show Profile Send Nilus Reynard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:
Originally posted by Nilus Reynard

In Unclean, Malark Springhill drank a potion of eternal youth that made him extremely long lived. He was older than Thay itself, remembering when a group of wizards from Mulmaster was rebelling against the nation, those wizards becoming the infamous Red Wizards of Thay.

Mulmaster? I don't recall that.

Sorry, I meant Mulhorand. I was rattling off a quick reply while at work, didn't read it over before I posted it.

Nilus Reynard
Doom Master of Beshaba, Hand of Despair.
P24 Hm CN
(2nd Edition AD&D)

Edited by - Nilus Reynard on 18 Dec 2019 23:56:54
Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2019 :  00:56:20  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by _Jarlaxle_

In a world with halflings and gnomes, would that actually be such a big problem?

For an adult to be forever trapped in the body of a child, yes. Obviously, the unaging aspect would have its benefits, but being a child forever is going to have a lot of downsides. Even if you ignore certain aspects of the physical immaturity, there's still the fact that they're going to be a kid trying to live in an adult world -- and a lot of adults have a tendency to not give kids the same respect they'd give other adults.

Have you seen film Interview with Vampire? Kirsten Dunst is there as eternal child. I would say a good inspiration for your character...

Malark Springhill is a monk of long death who served tharchion and later zulkir Dmitra Flass and she partly lived in Mulmaster.

@Gyor - shade template is a way to prolong your life (first variant)

@TheIriaeban - interesting idea. It seems to me more complex than any other means as you would have to reverse the aging and then reverse it again at the right moment.
However if not speeded up that even the first part will almost double your lifespan so it is worthwhile.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2019 :  03:08:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wrigley

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by _Jarlaxle_

In a world with halflings and gnomes, would that actually be such a big problem?

For an adult to be forever trapped in the body of a child, yes. Obviously, the unaging aspect would have its benefits, but being a child forever is going to have a lot of downsides. Even if you ignore certain aspects of the physical immaturity, there's still the fact that they're going to be a kid trying to live in an adult world -- and a lot of adults have a tendency to not give kids the same respect they'd give other adults.

Have you seen film Interview with Vampire? Kirsten Dunst is there as eternal child. I would say a good inspiration for your character...

I've not seen the movie, but I read the book, many many moons ago... And as I recall, Claudia was really tweaked off about the idea of being a kid forever.

She wasn't an inspiration, though. My thinking was that it would be an older person, actively seeking eternal youth, who used the wish, who then found himself hating life as a kid just as much as he hated being an old person.

I was originally thinking that the guy would be specifically looking forward to once more enjoying the company of young ladies, which would make being 10 forever even worse, but I've set that idea aside. It may or may not come back to the fore, if I ever decide what to do with this kid. Prolly not; even if it was a side benefit, just mentioning it seems to diminish any other potential reasons for wanting to be young again.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2019 :  15:45:44  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I've not seen the movie, but I read the book, many many moons ago... And as I recall, Claudia was really tweaked off about the idea of being a kid forever.

She wasn't an inspiration, though. My thinking was that it would be an older person, actively seeking eternal youth, who used the wish, who then found himself hating life as a kid just as much as he hated being an old person.

I was originally thinking that the guy would be specifically looking forward to once more enjoying the company of young ladies, which would make being 10 forever even worse, but I've set that idea aside. It may or may not come back to the fore, if I ever decide what to do with this kid. Prolly not; even if it was a side benefit, just mentioning it seems to diminish any other potential reasons for wanting to be young again.

Watch it as it is a great movie.
I think the way she reacted to getting older without aging is quite spot on. There would be hate, bitterness, ... I can see him as a cult leader of some street urchin gang using those children to his benefit. Possibly even worshiping Shar as her dogma fits perfectly.

This deals mainly with side effects of long life. So how do you (all) see the results of extremely long life on psychic side of a person. Does it strain the soul? Do you go insane? What are ways to prevent it?
For example if you are a lich you are slowly drifting toward evil and singular focus of your unlife. Archlich (good) are said to not get that but what is it they are going into?
Go to Top of Page

_Jarlaxle_
Senior Scribe

Germany
584 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2019 :  18:22:49  Show Profile Send _Jarlaxle_ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

that they're going to be a kid trying to live in an adult world -- and a lot of adults have a tendency to not give kids the same respect they'd give other adults.

That's what I meant, after some adjustment they could easily come off as halflings. It's still not perfect, but it could lead to some interesting stories
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000