Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Ways to Immortality and long life
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2009 :  00:18:00  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Good day to you all

I have wandered about ways of extending one´s lifetime in Faerun and I think it posses a huge storymaking potencial. I know about similar topic in here, but I would like to expand it a little further.
So, anybody who have any idea about expanding your life in Faerun, please post it in (I take both generic and specific ideas).

First: variants of extending one´s lifetime (potion of longevity, spells with similar effect, taking template or otherwise changing race or subtype, ...). Basis is "pushing your envelop from inside" - expand one or more of the aging steps.

Second: halting aging process itself. It might be caused by traveling planes (with risk of immidiate death on return to prime material), becoming undead, construct, ...

Third: slowing the aging process by regeneration (theoreticly, all regenerating beings are "immortal"), time effects (possible reversing of aging process?)

Fourth: divine intervention - chosen, miracle, reincarnation, ...

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2009 :  00:19:47  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I am doing something wrong, please send me PM. It´s my first created topic here...
Go to Top of Page

Sandro
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
266 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2009 :  00:33:50  Show Profile Send Sandro a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lichdom is probably one of, if not the, most common of extending one's life(death?)span.

"Gods, little fishes, and spells to turn the one to the other," Mordenkainen sighed. "It's started already..."
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2009 :  02:20:22  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lichdom and longevity potions are the normal ways of doing it, though we have had some odd cases where other forms of immortality came along. Ed once commented on this, explaining a bit of the official reasoning for why the undead approach seemed to be favored:

quote:
Hello again, all.
Markustay, what SORT (wink, giggle) of comment were you looking for, re. “Raw Ed”? After all these years, I can make SO many . . .
And yes, Ed did create archliches for LOST SHIPS (after obtaining design approval from the TSR designers of the day to include a “good lich” in the game, to support some good or at least benign to PCs liches that had appeared in fiction and game products).
As for this comment, from Wooly Rupert: “I've always thought the deliberate embrace of undeath was a bit of an odd option for cheating death. One idea I've always preferred was for a mage to transfer his consciousness into a specially-prepared automaton. The end result (no longer worrying about death, aging, and other physical frailities) is the same, plus the automaton body would be more durable, nicer to look at, and wouldn't be physically rotting away. I know if I wanted to last a few more centuries, I'd choose an option where my fingers falling off wouldn't be a concern...”
. . . Ed has a response, as follows:

I see nothing at all wrong with your reasoning, Wooly, and although Newt Ewell specifically asked me to add a brief “drow biomech” section to the original (2nd Ed) DROW OF THE UNDERDARK, the “official but secret” design directives of the time were to avoid all “android and robot” flavouring in AD&D® because TSR was planning a robot roleplaying game, PROTON FIRE. Longtime DRAGON® readers may recall that it was featured in the back pages of just one issue of the magazine, as a preview; the game was “killed” on the very brink of its release by TSR’s upper management. So, just like de-emphasizing psionics in the Realms because they were to be a cornerstone of Dark Sun®, we were told to avoid mechanical/robotic/android/bionic elements for the AD&D® game. THAT’S why the embrace of undeath rather than the “build your own new body.”
As for the alternative “clone or birth your own new body and then move into it” approach, THAT ran afoul of the internal Code of Ethics, TSR wanting to avoid further trouble with the religious Moral Majority stances of the day. For years - - as various Realms NPCs have aged - - I have flirted and toyed in my Realms fiction with exploring the ethical choices they make about how to prolong life (for those who wish to do so). I plan, editors willing, to do more of that in future fiction.

So saith Ed. Illuminating the design backrooms of the Realms and D&D® for us all.
love,
THO

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Sandro
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
266 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2009 :  02:34:07  Show Profile Send Sandro a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
As for the alternative “clone or birth your own new body and then move into it” approach, THAT ran afoul of the internal Code of Ethics, TSR wanting to avoid further trouble with the religious Moral Majority stances of the day. For years - - as various Realms NPCs have aged - - I have flirted and toyed in my Realms fiction with exploring the ethical choices they make about how to prolong life (for those who wish to do so). I plan, editors willing, to do more of that in future fiction.

Though very briefly, and rather behind the scenes, this seems to have been explored slightly with all the Manshoon clones (hell, they even wrote out the Manshoon's Stasis Clone spell in the 3e FRCS).

"Gods, little fishes, and spells to turn the one to the other," Mordenkainen sighed. "It's started already..."

Edited by - Sandro on 14 Nov 2009 02:36:49
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2009 :  04:53:22  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Lichdom and longevity potions are the normal ways of doing it, though we have had some odd cases where other forms of immortality came along. Ed once commented on this, explaining a bit of the official reasoning for why the undead approach seemed to be favored:

quote:
Hello again, all.
Markustay, what SORT (wink, giggle) of comment were you looking for, re. “Raw Ed”? After all these years, I can make SO many . . .
And yes, Ed did create archliches for LOST SHIPS (after obtaining design approval from the TSR designers of the day to include a “good lich” in the game, to support some good or at least benign to PCs liches that had appeared in fiction and game products).
As for this comment, from Wooly Rupert: “I've always thought the deliberate embrace of undeath was a bit of an odd option for cheating death. One idea I've always preferred was for a mage to transfer his consciousness into a specially-prepared automaton. The end result (no longer worrying about death, aging, and other physical frailities) is the same, plus the automaton body would be more durable, nicer to look at, and wouldn't be physically rotting away. I know if I wanted to last a few more centuries, I'd choose an option where my fingers falling off wouldn't be a concern...”
. . . Ed has a response, as follows:

I see nothing at all wrong with your reasoning, Wooly, and although Newt Ewell specifically asked me to add a brief “drow biomech” section to the original (2nd Ed) DROW OF THE UNDERDARK, the “official but secret” design directives of the time were to avoid all “android and robot” flavouring in AD&D® because TSR was planning a robot roleplaying game, PROTON FIRE. Longtime DRAGON® readers may recall that it was featured in the back pages of just one issue of the magazine, as a preview; the game was “killed” on the very brink of its release by TSR’s upper management. So, just like de-emphasizing psionics in the Realms because they were to be a cornerstone of Dark Sun®, we were told to avoid mechanical/robotic/android/bionic elements for the AD&D® game. THAT’S why the embrace of undeath rather than the “build your own new body.”

So saith Ed. Illuminating the design backrooms of the Realms and D&D® for us all.
love,
THO

There's a somewhat similar [though altered enough to be considered a variant] example of this method in the Encyclopedia Arcane: Constructs tome from Green Ronin. Though I've always thought it was influenced, partly, by Ed's prior work on the subject.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2009 :  09:35:35  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Methods that have come upin my games include:
- Becoming undead: Lich, Ghost, Vampire, etc.
- Devil's/Demon's Bargain: Three guesses how that usually ends...
- Asencion/Apotheosis: Becoming a Chosen of X, achieving divinity, transending to astral/ethereal/umbral/elemental nature.
- Soul transfer: Body jump to a fresh clone or something less convtional (once had a golem inhabited by a whole cabal of wizards).
- Bodypart replacement: Magical / mechanical replacement of failng organs / lost limbs.
- Alchemical alteration: some druids, i think, basically pickled themselves in one game, living in big vats of goo and only coming out to teach someone some manners.
- Spirit binding: consuming or merging with another spirit to extend 'battery life'.
- Just generally being a real badass: The more hardcore you are the longer you can simply refuse to die.

Cedric! The Cleric Generic and Master of Disguise!

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Vast Realmslore Archive: Get in here and download everything! http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/rl

2e Realms book PDFs; grab em! - http://poleandrope.blogspot.com/2010/07/working-around-purge.html

Edited by - Cleric Generic on 14 Nov 2009 09:37:21
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2009 :  10:46:11  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
.. certain templates do help as well, or becoming a shade (i.e. those that inhabit Shade Enclave, or using some shadow stuff thing like Erevis Cale did).

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2009 :  12:41:48  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, thanks for that. It bringed lots of light to this topic. And because I have none such a directive, I am open to suggestions of any type

Actualy I quite like the idea of immortal soul construct - some remnant of Immaskari or Raumathari artificer...

One uncommon way I found in some sourcebook about Myth Drannor, where is one ancient elf bound to the floor of building.

Idea of moving soul from body to body is hard to categorize for me, because in a way it´s extending one´s life (first category) but in totaly different manner than usual. With changing body, soul remain the same which lead to question: is soul itself immortal (dying from old age is only body death)?
If yes, then posibly all that is needed is perfect regeneration of one´s body to live forever in one.
If no, then what and when happens to one´s soul moving on for centuries (is this cause of all this madness of immortals)?
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2009 :  13:48:06  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For what it's worth, the Ruathar PrC from Races of the Wild offers an extended life span. Basically, this class requires you to have performed a great service to elven community, making you a friend of all elves. At third level (a 3 levels PrC), your racial maximum life span if extended by 50%. For humans, it is only a few decades, but for dwarves of other elves, we are talking about extra centuries.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2009 :  13:50:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wrigley

quote:

Well, thanks for that. It bringed lots of light to this topic. And because I have none such a directive, I am open to suggestions of any type

Actualy I quite like the idea of immortal soul construct - some remnant of Immaskari or Raumathari artificer...

I've actually got an article written that discusses that exact idea. I've got plans for two others, going in different directions with each one. I originally intended the articles to just be for us here at Candlekeep, but it's since been suggested that I submit it to Dragon.

Part of my inspiration was the soulmechs of the Dragonstar campaign setting. Short explanation of a soulmech: an android controlled by the soul of a dead person, which is magically bound into it. It is, essentially, a second chance for them.

quote:

One uncommon way I found in some sourcebook about Myth Drannor, where is one ancient elf bound to the floor of building.

Idea of moving soul from body to body is hard to categorize for me, because in a way it´s extending one´s life (first category) but in totaly different manner than usual. With changing body, soul remain the same which lead to question: is soul itself immortal (dying from old age is only body death)?
If yes, then posibly all that is needed is perfect regeneration of one´s body to live forever in one.
If no, then what and when happens to one´s soul moving on for centuries (is this cause of all this madness of immortals)?

Well, absent some method of sticking around, in the Realms a soul leaves the dead body behind and eventually winds up in the divine realm of whatever deity the person most favored in life. Most of these souls become petitioners, with their ultimate goal being merging with their deity. There's no real timeframe on how long this takes... So essentially, in D&D, the soul is in fact immortal. And thus, if a person had perfect regeneration or some other method of halting the aging process, then they are set for getting thru eternity.

Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2009 :  19:33:50  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I've actually got an article written that discusses that exact idea. I've got plans for two others, going in different directions with each one. I originally intended the articles to just be for us here at Candlekeep, but it's since been suggested that I submit it to Dragon.

Where can I find it?

quote:
Well, absent some method of sticking around, in the Realms a soul leaves the dead body behind and eventually winds up in the divine realm of whatever deity the person most favored in life. Most of these souls become petitioners, with their ultimate goal being merging with their deity. There's no real timeframe on how long this takes... So essentially, in D&D, the soul is in fact immortal. And thus, if a person had perfect regeneration or some other method of halting the aging process, then they are set for getting thru eternity.

Therefore everybody, who is able to regenerate(Ex) is possible candidate for immortality. Only starvation, thirst, illness, magic and fire or acid can claim him then... and these are easy to protect yourself from.
Go to Top of Page

Sandro
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
266 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2009 :  19:42:39  Show Profile Send Sandro a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aye, but as Ed has previously stated, being immortal can do strange things to your head (see Halaster, for example). Mystra's chosen are protected somewhat from this by her magic, but are still affected by it. Ed's The Temptation of Elminster also deals with slightly different aspects of immortality (though at the same time talking about the power El has).

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2009 :  00:36:24  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Where can I find it?

On my second hard drive.

Seriously, I'm still sitting on it, for a couple of reasons. One is that I want it to be the first in a three-part series, and the other two parts aren't complete, yet.

The other reason is that I'm not 100% sure where I want to share it.

Part of me wants to put it somewhere here, rather it's for the Compendium (assuming we ever get clear enough info from WotC to know whether or not we can continue it) or just a shared file on the main site. But... I sent the article to several people to review, and the only one that did has a number of Dragon articles to his name. And he said it would be great for "Dragon" (quotation marks because I don't really think the current version is as good as the print version). I like the idea of getting official recognition, but I don't like the idea of my stuff only being available in the DDI -- I don't support the DDI, and I know a lot of other folks don't. So if I went that route, I'd get the official recognition, but the price would be supporting something I don't believe in, and not sharing the info as widely as I'd prefer.

Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2009 :  12:22:49  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
On my second hard drive.

Seriously, I'm still sitting on it, for a couple of reasons. One is that I want it to be the first in a three-part series, and the other two parts aren't complete, yet.

The other reason is that I'm not 100% sure where I want to share it.

Part of me wants to put it somewhere here, rather it's for the Compendium (assuming we ever get clear enough info from WotC to know whether or not we can continue it) or just a shared file on the main site. But... I sent the article to several people to review, and the only one that did has a number of Dragon articles to his name. And he said it would be great for "Dragon" (quotation marks because I don't really think the current version is as good as the print version). I like the idea of getting official recognition, but I don't like the idea of my stuff only being available in the DDI -- I don't support the DDI, and I know a lot of other folks don't. So if I went that route, I'd get the official recognition, but the price would be supporting something I don't believe in, and not sharing the info as widely as I'd prefer.

What about that you leak here a first spoiler - synopsis of what you created - and we will then tell you our opinions and ideas that will push you to write the rest of article :-))
Go to Top of Page

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2009 :  15:15:53  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage Send Sian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wooly ... not sure but could it be possable to retool it and see if Paizo could find anything fun to place it in (or prehaps Kobold Quarterly)

what happened to the queen? she's much more hysterical than usual
She's a women, it happens once a month
Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2009 :  23:53:42  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, there are several epic-level options. There's a feat(Extended Lifespan?) as well as a pair of FR-specific epic spells- Aumvor's Living Zombies and Ioulam's Longevity, both of which can extend a spellcaster's lifespan indefinately.

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco
Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2015 :  21:28:37  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A little bit of necromancy on this topic (hope nobody will mind it). I have come to conclusion that most common form of prolonging one's life is actualy simple spell of Restoration or Cure Desease. Those spells have prolonged lives of most humanoids in history due to it's accessibility and careless use on worshipers by clergy. It does not actualy change your races given lifetime but it ensures you live through it.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2015 :  12:45:32  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is always the reincarnate spell.

Becoming a Shade stops the aging process.

certain subclasses in 5e slow or stop the aging process.

The new Undying Patron (not to be confused with the Undying Light Patron), grants healing on a successful death saving throw, the ability to reach limbs, to go forever without food, water, air, or sleep without ill effect, and to live 10 times longer. For an elf or Dwarf that's practical forever.

The Oath of the Ancients at level 15 you basically become immortal, aging doesn't effect you anymore, and once a day if something kills you, you don't die.

Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2015 :  14:31:08  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

There is always the reincarnate spell.

Becoming a Shade stops the aging process.

certain subclasses in 5e slow or stop the aging process.

The new Undying Patron (not to be confused with the Undying Light Patron), grants healing on a successful death saving throw, the ability to reach limbs, to go forever without food, water, air, or sleep without ill effect, and to live 10 times longer. For an elf or Dwarf that's practical forever.

The Oath of the Ancients at level 15 you basically become immortal, aging doesn't effect you anymore, and once a day if something kills you, you don't die.

Becoming a shade "Slows" the aging process. Doesn't stop it
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2015 :  16:08:18  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All you need to do to live forever in Faerun is be one of Salvatore's favorite characters.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2015 :  16:32:05  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Zing at Artemas Enterei. Good one.

In my Realms, priests of Lebalas Enoreth would run a good business selling age reversal and longevity spells/potions to raise funds for the church. "For that forever young elven look!" The same way other churches may sell healing or curse removals.

Volo's Guide to All Things Magical has a few elixirs of longevity I believe, with the potential for horrendous side effects.
Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2015 :  18:53:46  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Becoming Outsider does halt the process of aging but also align you with the plane...
Mr Salvator is kind of major diety in FR so it is understandable that he can intervene about his favored pet.
And please leave out his miniature game you mentioned (dnd 4e).
Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2015 :  06:46:57  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Keep in mind that while lichdom is popular, undeath is far from the only way to live forever. For example, Halaster was over 4000 years old (being from Ancient Imaskar), and he was still fully human. The same applies to Vhostym the Sojourner from the Erevis Cale trilogy. He was 10,000 years old before his body finally succumbed to disease, and he never used lichdom to prolong his life. (He was a gith, who usually don't live to be older than 200 or 300, I believe.)

I just looked Iolaum up, and he was about 2,700 years old before he resorted to lichdom, if Wikipedia is correct. Also, I'm not sure about Shaaan the Serpent Queen, but she seems like she's probably a yuan-ti (anybody know for sure?). They only live a few centuries, but she strikes me as being very, very old.

My point is that with enough magical research and experimentation, you can always either find a spell or create a spell that will lead to immortality.
Go to Top of Page

JohnLynch
Learned Scribe

Australia
243 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2015 :  08:17:15  Show Profile Send JohnLynch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is there any canon description as to how these characters have survived so long? Or is it just hand waved?

DM of the Realms: A blog for my Forgotten Realms adventures.
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2015 :  14:51:40  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
TSR 9240 REF5 - Lords of Darkness has some good info on the lich process, potions to extend life and grant immortality etc if I recall. It's a great old school book.
Go to Top of Page

_Jarlaxle_
Senior Scribe

Germany
584 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2015 :  14:57:11  Show Profile Send _Jarlaxle_ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JohnLynch

Is there any canon description as to how these characters have survived so long? Or is it just hand waved?

Ioulaum for example had developed a spell Ioulaum's longevity which killed all living beings nearby and added their lifespawn to that of the caster. So he just had to cast it in the middle of some people from time to time to prolong his life.

Edited by - _Jarlaxle_ on 04 Nov 2015 14:57:40
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2015 :  15:38:01  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eilserus

TSR 9240 REF5 - Lords of Darkness has some good info on the lich process, potions to extend life and grant immortality etc if I recall. It's a great old school book.

Though it's a Ravenloft supplement, Van Richten's Guide to the Lich has tons of useful info as well.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2015 :  16:04:42  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by _Jarlaxle_

quote:

Ioulaum for example had developed a spell Ioulaum's longevity which killed all living beings nearby and added their lifespawn to that of the caster. So he just had to cast it in the middle of some people from time to time to prolong his life.

Excellent info. Interestingly, he also had that spell called Iolaum's Avatar, indicating that he may have been considering stealing Mystra's divinity during the days of Netheril. Unlike Karsus, he appears to have been wise enough to think better of it. I've always wanted to know more about this guy, partly because of his nearly unparalleled magical achievements (creating the mythallar and the flying city) and partly because of his mindset. I mean, what human has ever wanted to become an illithid elder brain?? And how on earth did he figure out how to accomplish it? According to the sourcebooks, most illithids don't even know how the elder brain thing works (they believe that their consciousness is retained when merging with the elder brain, when it is actually subsumed).
Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2015 :  16:47:34  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I believe we learn in Vhostym's inner monologue that he used wish spells to prolong his life. This was a guy who pulled an asteroid into Toril, destroyed flights of dragons, and killed entire worlds. So the wish spell route may not work for just anyone.

Of course, gaining Chosen status is often an instant road to immortality too. Although if you sign up with some deranged god like Lolth, Cyric, or Shar, it may not be the kind of glorious immortality that Elminster or the Seven Sisters have enjoyed.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2015 :  18:10:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lilianviaten

Of course, gaining Chosen status is often an instant road to immortality too. Although if you sign up with some deranged god like Lolth, Cyric, or Shar, it may not be the kind of glorious immortality that Elminster or the Seven Sisters have enjoyed.

Actually, we only know that to be true for Mystra's Chosen. Other Chosen may or may not be immortal.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000