Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Lore Request: Everlund and Triboar
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Apex
Learned Scribe

USA
229 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2009 :  01:19:27  Show Profile  Visit Apex's Homepage Send Apex a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Is there any lore out there for Everlund and/or Triboar near Waterdeep? 1st/2nd ed is preferable, but I will take what I can get. As a side note, does anyone have a picture of the alternative Mielikki holy symbol (the green star on white leaf)?

Mod Edit: Shifted to a more appropriate shelf.

Edited by - The Sage on 22 Aug 2009 01:39:13

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2009 :  01:46:53  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Most of the sources for the North, like The North boxed set and Volo's Guide to the North, feature sections on Everlund and Triboar. [And some of those are available as free PDF downloads at WotC]

As for the Mielikki holy symbol, I don't recall [at the moment] any sites that have images of the star/leaf symbol. But the white unicorn holy symbol can be found here.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2009 :  03:37:16  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Apex

Is there any lore out there for Everlund . . .?

Aside from what's in the Silver Marches book (I imagine Kayl Moorwalker has been the lord since 2e, and you could appropriate any or all of his council for your uses) . . . one of the characters from Ghostwalker is pretty important in Everlund: Arya Venkyr, the so-called Nightingale of Everlund.

Venkyr is a powerful family in Everlund; Arya was born in 1350, the only daughter of patriarch Rom (a stern, no-nonsense paladin of Torm; paladin 12 or so). Arya or the family can easily be used in your game. When she comes of age, she's about a knight 7 in 3.5e (fighter 7 in 1e/2e).

More info (particularly about Arya) here: http://ww2.wizards.com/Books/Wizards/?doc=fr_ghostwalkercp

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2009 :  15:06:37  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is she inspired by Arya Stark?
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2009 :  16:53:23  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
She has more resemblance to Brienne of Tarth, but a beautiful and honorable woman knight is the right way to imagine her.

Arya Stark is far too young and relentless...

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2009 :  21:14:12  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh! I've heard that one before. But no--other than the name similarity (which is coincidental), there is no similarity between Arya Venkyr and Arya Stark, and my use of the name was not inspired by Martin's.

My "Arya" comes from "aria," which is part of the musical imagery in the book. Basically, that is Arya's function: a foreign and beautiful thing that breaks up the greater story of the ghostwalker.

I'm not sure why Martin named his character "Arya"--I've seen speculation that it has to do with its use in various world religions (the word itself is sanskrit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arya)

It's a good story, actually, this thing about the name mirror. I had not picked up A Song of Ice and Fire until after we were already in the last round of edits on Ghostwalker, and I asked my editor if she thought we should change the name. Her response--which I agree with 100%--was: "There are a lot of Guinevieres in fantasy."

My Arya is, indeed, a little more similar to Martin's Brienne--again, coincidental, unless we're talking about the archetype of the noble woman knight from which both characters spring. My Arya doesn't have the same sort of problems that Brienne does, which mostly spring from being considered unattractive in a world where women have no power except through their allure, and being a woman trying to take on a man's role. The Realms does not have the same kind of ingrained sexism that Westeros does, so you couldn't have a character quite like Brienne in a Realms story.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

bladeinAmn
Learned Scribe

199 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2009 :  06:34:13  Show Profile  Visit bladeinAmn's Homepage Send bladeinAmn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Apex

Is there any lore out there for Everlund and/or Triboar near Waterdeep? 1st/2nd ed is preferable, but I will take what I can get. As a side note, does anyone have a picture of the alternative Mielikki holy symbol (the green star on white leaf)?

Mod Edit: Shifted to a more appropriate shelf.

Not sure if you're aware of this article here:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20020705a

Great map when you scroll down a bit, no matter what FR edition you prefer.

Also, according to Volo in Volo's Guide to the North (2e book, 9393), Everlund is basically a smaller Waterdeep, in terms of culture. And its primarily populated by humans, elves and hobbits.

Triboar http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Triboar
http://www.nj-pbem.com/data/Places/Triboar.htm

According again to Volo's Guide to the North, Triboar has been lead by Faurael Blackhammer for the past 40yrs.

Home to the most famous wagonmaker in the region, Skulner Wainwright.

Enchanted wood nearby, specifically for Mielikki worshippers.

Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2009 :  23:05:18  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yea, she's more like Brienne, the part ''she ran away from home for a life away from rules and restrictions'' is similar to Arya.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000