Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Big, bigger, biggerst
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2009 :  12:39:12  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
What is the biggest creature, or monster or living thing on the face of toril?

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2009 :  14:06:47  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's Araumycos, enormous fungus beneath the High Forest
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2009 :  15:07:15  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why do you ask?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 09 Aug 2009 15:07:41
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2009 :  16:52:21  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Toril itself?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Tyr
Learned Scribe

225 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2009 :  19:01:41  Show Profile  Visit Tyr's Homepage Send Tyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wouldn't it be that fungus quasi-deity thing filling up the underdark?
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2009 :  20:29:16  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Why do you ask?

Maybe he wants to scare the living sh-t out of his players?

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2009 :  23:22:38  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Why do you ask?

people are always curious.why do we have a guiness book of records?

go back to sleep america.everything is under control.heres american gladiators.watch this.shuttup. BILL HICKS.
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2009 :  01:43:10  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I suspect Tyr is right... "that fungus quasi-deity thing filling up the Underdark" under the High Forest is called Araumycos, and apparently back in early 3E, the Shades were looking for something down there, burning away big chunks of it at a time. I'd love to know *what* they were looking for... but any canon answer to that question is probably NDA, if it exists at all, so I have a few ideas of my own... lost Netherese artifacts, to put it vaguely.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2009 :  22:07:17  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i wonder if the realms has a blue whale?

go back to sleep america.everything is under control.heres american gladiators.watch this.shuttup. BILL HICKS.
Go to Top of Page

Tyr
Learned Scribe

225 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2009 :  22:29:33  Show Profile  Visit Tyr's Homepage Send Tyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that'll be creatures like the Moonshae Leviathons
Go to Top of Page

slayer
Acolyte

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2009 :  11:24:34  Show Profile Send slayer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The biggest monster on Toril (and perhaps even in all the planes, excluding dragonic gods or bestial avatars) is the Tarrasque, it was created by the primordials during the dawn war but remains after the primodrials were banished to the elemental chaos. In contrast, the god's Astral Stalkers remained as well, but I don't think there are many of them (if any at all) on Toril.

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Tarrasque

"When you get to hell, tell em I sent ya, you'll get a discount"

Edited by - slayer on 19 Aug 2009 11:52:06
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2009 :  16:16:05  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How much HP does Auromycos have then? :P
It has intelligence? Psionic powers?

Biggest mammal would be a whale of some sort.
The biggest cephalopod would be some sort of ancient kraken...
A collosal scorpion or spider might be found in Lolths Spiderweb Pits and could be summoned to Toril by the more powerful servants of the Demonqueen of Spiders.
Biggest humanoid are tp be found in the lost remnants of tombs of titans, probably undead aswell...

Jotunheim is a whole plane with supersized critters that would dwarf even the biggest versions of Torils large critters.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

Iliyan
Acolyte

Croatia
42 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2009 :  13:10:24  Show Profile  Visit Iliyan's Homepage Send Iliyan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll have to throw my vote in with Araumycos.. I even remember reading a slight note on it in some 3.5e FR sourcebook on how it is known to devour things that venture inside it.

I think it was related to a rumored dwarven ruin it sits on. And yeah, it is bigger then the Torrasque.
Go to Top of Page

LordManshoon
Acolyte

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2009 :  20:42:41  Show Profile Send LordManshoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's gotta be Araumycos. It covers an entire chunk of the Underdark by itself.

Mastering myriad magics since Ed was young
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2009 :  19:46:43  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If Shond Tharovin is still alive, he was a pretty big dude once he got turned into a gibbering mouther. He could cover three square miles, or stretch himself out as long as twelve miles according to Empires of the Shining Sea.
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2009 :  20:29:56  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I still think Araumycos is bigger, but I don't have the relevant sourcebook handy to confirm; IIRC, it covers the entire Underdark beneath the High Forest, and that's roughly 120 miles square according to the 3E FR map... or 14,400 square miles, give or take. Can anyone confirm or refute this?

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000