Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 History of Neverwinter
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Five_X
Acolyte

12 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2009 :  23:07:18  Show Profile  Visit Five_X's Homepage Send Five_X a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I have a few questions involving the history of Neverwinter. (Research for a novel/Character backstory)
First, when was Neverwinter founded?
And second, should material from Neverwinter Nights be referenced? It's an area that hasn't gotten much attention, sadly.

Tyranthraxus
Senior Scribe

Netherlands
423 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2009 :  23:55:22  Show Profile  Visit Tyranthraxus's Homepage Send Tyranthraxus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Try The North source book, you can download it here.

Or you could play the Neverwinter Nights pc games.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2009 :  00:14:18  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One of the entries I found in the Grand History is:

87, The Year of Hoar Frost – Eigersstor (Neverwinter) is founded.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2009 :  00:56:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Five_X

And second, should material from Neverwinter Nights be referenced? It's an area that hasn't gotten much attention, sadly.
Well, some aspects of the games have been canonised, so they're basically useful as reference material. Undrentide was marked on one of the maps in Grand History. And the Wailing Death is apparently canon now, given it's reference in Grand History as well, under the 1372 DR entry. I don't recall there being an entry for Hordes of the Underdark. And I remember Brian suggesting that may be due to the ending of the expansion being difficult to canonise.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2009 :  01:52:29  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I gave Neverwinter (first known as Eigersstor) a founding date as noted by the Sage. GHotR and LEoF contain more than a few Neverwinter dates that I came up with.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2009 :  18:58:57  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was wondering if there has ever been a canonical date set for the renaming of Eigersstor to Neverwinter... I've been through GHotR, but I'll check LEoF before I post this... [thinks about going to bookshelf, remembers PDF, thinks "faster is better"...]

Nope. All we know from that source is the founding date of Eigersstor (as quoted above) and 306 DR (the Year of the Fanged Horde), in which Illusk and Neverwinter repel the Thousand Fangs orc horde, so we know that it was known as Neverwinter before 306 DR. I'll do some more searching; if I find an answer, I'll post it here.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2009 :  19:06:44  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So far, all I've found (thanks to Google) is the following, taken from a timeline that I know contains some non-canonical data, so take this how you will...

quote:

[edit]ca. 300 DR... I figured a date would be useful... [/edit]
•During this time, the name of Neverwinter comes into common usage for the settlement of Eigersstor as traders begin to realize the benefits of its year-round ice-free harbor.

(From http://www.o-love.net/realms/fr_time_notable.html)

I'll continue to look for something more precise... and canonical, if possible.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

Edited by - Jakk on 16 Aug 2009 19:07:53
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2009 :  00:14:19  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That entry is from my old "North Timeline" and will be the only ... anything ... you will find on this topic. I never delved into why the name changed but if you need something other than when it happened (as noted, in the early 300s DR), the completist in me has a few thoughts.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2009 :  01:15:00  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So share those thought's Krash.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2009 :  16:26:10  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yay! Krash lore!

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)

Edited by - Hawkins on 17 Aug 2009 16:26:31
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2009 :  06:10:17  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

So share those thought's Krash.

Yes! Please do! My theory is, the population grew and diversified, making it not so much an ethnically Northmen settlement, and the name changed as a result (and the source of the name Neverwinter has already been detailed in canon). Beyond that, I'm up for some more Krash lore.

Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2009 :  07:12:06  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

That entry is from my old "North Timeline" and will be the only ... anything ... you will find on this topic. I never delved into why the name changed but if you need something other than when it happened (as noted, in the early 300s DR), the completist in me has a few thoughts.

-- George Krashos

TBH, Krash, why do you even ask? It's not like there's EVER gonna be a point at which we say 'Nah, keep that to yourself, man'.

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
729 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2009 :  10:08:49  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Add me to the group with hands up and clamouring... C'mon Krash!?

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2009 :  10:17:32  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

-- George Krashos

to think I always thought from elven to common....

you know for those humans who cant speak elven for all the beer in illusk

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000