Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 History of Neverwinter

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Five_X Posted - 23 Jun 2009 : 23:07:18
I have a few questions involving the history of Neverwinter. (Research for a novel/Character backstory)
First, when was Neverwinter founded?
And second, should material from Neverwinter Nights be referenced? It's an area that hasn't gotten much attention, sadly.
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sfdragon Posted - 19 Aug 2009 : 10:17:32
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

That entry is from my old "North Timeline" and will be the only ... anything ... you will find on this topic. I never delved into why the name changed but if you need something other than when it happened (as noted, in the early 300s DR), the completist in me has a few thoughts.

-- George Krashos

to think I always thought from elven to common....

you know for those humans who cant speak elven for all the beer in illusk
Kyrene Posted - 19 Aug 2009 : 10:08:49
Add me to the group with hands up and clamouring... C'mon Krash!?
Knight of the Gate Posted - 18 Aug 2009 : 07:12:06
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

That entry is from my old "North Timeline" and will be the only ... anything ... you will find on this topic. I never delved into why the name changed but if you need something other than when it happened (as noted, in the early 300s DR), the completist in me has a few thoughts.

-- George Krashos

TBH, Krash, why do you even ask? It's not like there's EVER gonna be a point at which we say 'Nah, keep that to yourself, man'.
Jakk Posted - 18 Aug 2009 : 06:10:17
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

So share those thought's Krash.

Yes! Please do! My theory is, the population grew and diversified, making it not so much an ethnically Northmen settlement, and the name changed as a result (and the source of the name Neverwinter has already been detailed in canon). Beyond that, I'm up for some more Krash lore.
Hawkins Posted - 17 Aug 2009 : 16:26:10
Yay! Krash lore!
Brimstone Posted - 17 Aug 2009 : 01:15:00
So share those thought's Krash.
George Krashos Posted - 17 Aug 2009 : 00:14:19

-- George Krashos
Jakk Posted - 16 Aug 2009 : 19:06:44
So far, all I've found (thanks to Google) is the following, taken from a timeline that I know contains some non-canonical data, so take this how you will...

quote:

[edit]ca. 300 DR... I figured a date would be useful... [/edit]
•During this time, the name of Neverwinter comes into common usage for the settlement of Eigersstor as traders begin to realize the benefits of its year-round ice-free harbor.

(From http://www.o-love.net/realms/fr_time_notable.html)

I'll continue to look for something more precise... and canonical, if possible.
Jakk Posted - 16 Aug 2009 : 18:58:57
I was wondering if there has ever been a canonical date set for the renaming of Eigersstor to Neverwinter... I've been through GHotR, but I'll check LEoF before I post this... [thinks about going to bookshelf, remembers PDF, thinks "faster is better"...]

Nope. All we know from that source is the founding date of Eigersstor (as quoted above) and 306 DR (the Year of the Fanged Horde), in which Illusk and Neverwinter repel the Thousand Fangs orc horde, so we know that it was known as Neverwinter before 306 DR. I'll do some more searching; if I find an answer, I'll post it here.
George Krashos Posted - 24 Jun 2009 : 01:52:29
I gave Neverwinter (first known as Eigersstor) a founding date as noted by the Sage. GHotR and LEoF contain more than a few Neverwinter dates that I came up with.

-- George Krashos
The Sage Posted - 24 Jun 2009 : 00:56:15
quote:
Originally posted by Five_X

And second, should material from Neverwinter Nights be referenced? It's an area that hasn't gotten much attention, sadly.
Well, some aspects of the games have been canonised, so they're basically useful as reference material. Undrentide was marked on one of the maps in Grand History. And the Wailing Death is apparently canon now, given it's reference in Grand History as well, under the 1372 DR entry. I don't recall there being an entry for Hordes of the Underdark. And I remember Brian suggesting that may be due to the ending of the expansion being difficult to canonise.
Kuje Posted - 24 Jun 2009 : 00:14:18
One of the entries I found in the Grand History is:

87, The Year of Hoar Frost – Eigersstor (Neverwinter) is founded.

Tyranthraxus Posted - 23 Jun 2009 : 23:55:22
Try The North source book, you can download it here.

Or you could play the Neverwinter Nights pc games.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000