Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Realms Events
 Elminster and The Simbul sitting in a tree...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Malanthius
Learned Scribe

144 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2003 :  15:58:19  Show Profile  Visit Malanthius's Homepage Send Malanthius a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
or (Where were you when the world was saved?)

You know, when i originally decided to start this topic, i was just going to ask if anyone had any opinions on What the Simbul and Elminster would be doing while he was "recupperating" from his ordeal in the nine hells. So I decided to look up a lot of the previous posts here on Elminster and the Symbul on candlekeep and noticed a few reaccuring opinions...

1)Elminster is Vastly too powerful to be a truly compelling character, and too powerful to be in the realms in general.

2)Elminster doesn't really have an equal when it comes to enemies.

3)Elminster desposes of all opponents with a wave of a hand and a blink of an eye.

I know i'm dragging up a dead (and beaten to the point where it's more glue than corpse)horse but this kind of goes with the point of the real question I'm trying to ask here, Just who are Elminster and the Symbul NOW in the relative sense of 1372 DR and where do you think there going as people and as a relationship?
So let's answer a few questions, for starters, is Elminster Powerful?
Yes, incredibly so, there's just one small problem, there's only one of him. Even with all of his spells, his skills, his artifacts, his tricks, his chosen abilities, he only has so many hit points, and so many of all of these. It's been said before that he could wipe out an army of orcs, but that really depends on what you consider an army, a thousand? Ten thousand? One hundred Thousand? What about ogres, or trolls, or Frost Giants? There's only one of him.
And you might have noticed, but there are a lot more than one Svass Tams, Manshoons, Telemonts,Wulgreths and Larlochs out there. Do you see any other inherently "good" archmage with his level of power,wisdom and knowledge running around the realms? He has to be percieved as being nearly godlike, he has to have that kind of reputation, or he'd be killed out right. You have to consider what he has to deal with on a day to day basis as an "all powerful" archmage that has this kind of fame. He's literally attacked several times day to day by anyone that believes for a second they can take him. So he has to be that powerful, to be someone for that newbie to look up to, to be a force to represent what an archmage should be, to discourage evil beings from thinking they can just walk over the world. And the fact is, he isn't all powerful.

Elminster doesn't have an equal when it comes to enemies? Depends on what you consider an "enemy" and what you mean by equal. The red wizards of thay-okay scratch that, they never work together- a single "school" of thay is more "powerful" than Elminster, ie Svass Tam and all of his students, constructs etc. Yes if it came to a one on one slug match with Svass, the lich would probably loose the battle, but would Svass really be so stupid as to even fight elminster like that in the first place? There's more to the definition of "power" than just statistics.

Elminster Disposes of all opponents with a wave of a hand and a blink of an eye? Some yes, and ask yourself why he's fighting them? If the old Sage can help it, he's smart enough to only take on someone a lot weaker than him. And if he has to fight someone on par with him, ofcourse he's going to be intelligent to get enough help as he can. Case in point, the battle Between Manshoon and Elminster in "SpellFire" where storm helps him out. Yes Elminster could have defeated Manshoon in a one on one, but he wasn't stupid enough to leave it to chance.
So we have an Elminster that contrary to popular belief is quite mortal. He's intelligent enough not to through himself in conflicts he's not really sure about if he can help it. We have a crotchety old sage that knows a hells of a lot about the realms.
Finally, let's be honest, do you know anyone else that could fill his place?

So we know where elminster's at, than there's the Simul...

Alessentara Shentarra (yes I probably mispelled and missaid that, i can't remember the exact name) also known as Nesredene, the witch queen of algarond, the Simbul. The names that can get you killed in her presence ofcourse being madwomen, etc.
That's the funny thing, even though they're almost on the same power level (stat's wise anyway) no one ever says the simbul is too powerful, or really for that matter Alustriel, or Khelben, or Lharel, but ignore that, we're talking about the simbul right now. Strictly speaking, she hasn't always been "good" and as of right now has of occasion leaned toward at least the neutral posistion when it comes to moral alignment even lately. (being around 1300 to present DR) She's traveled the planes, bested wizards witches and demons, and found happiness in a single country and place and people. She cares desperately for the sage of shadowdale, both out of respect and similarity of circumstances. (admittedly his inherent charms have a lot to do with it, and just how many kids with a slight resemblence to the sage have their got to be running around the realms by now, thousands? ) She literally went to hell for him though.
So where do you think these two are going next? Do you think they really will have children? Or do you suppose they might actually just decide to leave? (as in just pack they're bags, and go retire to some nice quiet demi-plane that's somehow immune to munchkin spellcasters)

Mal.

P.S. Does anyone have any idea what "Elminster's Daughter" is going to be about and in what relative time frame it occurs?

"Oh, Do stop whining, It's not the End of the World. It's just the end of Your's."

Horgesh
Acolyte

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2003 :  10:54:08  Show Profile  Visit Horgesh's Homepage Send Horgesh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Difficult to see. Always in motion is the future."

TSR's The Seven Sisters, pages 34&35, has a cute scene involving The Simbul's interruption of A dinner party and world spanning twink-wizard think tank consisting of Elminster, Mordenkainen, and Dalamar.

This is a fun little read, and, in my opinion, a perfect example of what should be done with Elminster. Have him step down from the mortal affairs of Toril, and join other munchkins in overseeing the application of magic throughout the multi-verse.

The Simbul would drift back into insanity (the way we all love her), bad guys would run amuck, and The Realms would get a lot more interesting.

Battle fever. I am half a man and drunk with slaughter, let them kill me if they can! -George R. R. Martin: A Clash of Kings
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2003 :  00:21:10  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is something I have always done in my campaign. I have a little council of wizards so to speak that keep track of magic all through the multiverse. Basically they are just a sampling of my favourite Wizards, and I have it set up where it is a little place these fellows can come and forget about saving the world.

Some esteemed members are :
Bigby, Mordenkainen, Elminster, Gandalf, Beregath, Pollgara, Merlin, Bink, and many others that are escaping me at the moment. They really only sit around and philosophize on how magic differs in their worlds and what they need to do to keep it strong. They are especially fond of giving Merlin a ration of dung (especially Elminster) for allowing magic to fade to near nothing in his world. Merlin is a good sport about it though.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

MuadDib
Senior Scribe

South Africa
442 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2003 :  05:41:18  Show Profile  Visit MuadDib's Homepage Send MuadDib a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This was a very interesting read indeed (the seven sisters part) and although I know this has nothing to do with the topic at hand...

Does anyone have any more information on Dalamar, and Mordenkainen?

As well, it says that story came from 'Once more the three' - what is that and where can one get it?

MuadDib - Candlekeep Inn Barhand
Go to Top of Page

Horgesh
Acolyte

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2003 :  01:03:08  Show Profile  Visit Horgesh's Homepage Send Horgesh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mordenkainen is Gary Gygax's old pc turned iconic uber-wizard of the Grey Hawk setting.

Dalamar is from the Dragonlance setting, I don't know anything about him really.

'Once more the three' I have never heard reference to this outside of the SS book, perhaps it is simply a fictitious source. But don't take my word for it, I am not very well read in realmslore.

Battle fever. I am half a man and drunk with slaughter, let them kill me if they can! -George R. R. Martin: A Clash of Kings
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2003 :  07:28:54  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mournblade said -
quote:
This is something I have always done in my campaign. I have a little council of wizards so to speak that keep track of magic all through the multiverse. Basically they are just a sampling of my favourite Wizards, and I have it set up where it is a little place these fellows can come and forget about saving the world.

Where is this 'Council of Archmages' based?. Sigil perhaps?.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2003 :  07:45:37  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mournblade also said -
quote:
Bigby, Mordenkainen, Elminster, Gandalf, Beregath, Pollgara, Merlin, Bink, and many others that are escaping me at the moment. They really only sit around and philosophize on how magic differs in their worlds and what they need to do to keep it strong. They are especially fond of giving Merlin a ration of dung (especially Elminster) for allowing magic to fade to near nothing in his world. Merlin is a good sport about it though.
I am assuming that 'and many others' that you mentioned include such Krynnish arcanists as Par-Salian, Dalamar, Justarius, or even maybe Ladonna?.

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2003 :  14:05:10  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Those 'recurring opinions' are canards. 99% of the anti-Elminster drivel you'll hear is based on total hearsay unrelated to the character as portrayed in the literature. You couldn't find someone to whom the 'munchkin' mentality is so alien as to Ed.

1. Elminster obviously is a compelling character, or he wouldn't sell so many novels and be so beloved. On the other hand, Ed has hundreds of characters more suited as novel protagonists and who he'd rather use.

2. There are several evil mortals comparable in power. But the Realms doesn't work by people approaching each other and challenging them to deathmatches, it works by intrigue and long campaigns.

3 is just plainly false.

"The Wizards Three: Once more the three" is the fourth of the "Magic in the Evening"/"Wizards Three" articles. It's in Dragon #200.

Edited by - Faraer on 06 Aug 2003 14:07:27
Go to Top of Page

MuadDib
Senior Scribe

South Africa
442 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2003 :  14:24:45  Show Profile  Visit MuadDib's Homepage Send MuadDib a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have no idea what Dragon #200 is, but I will look it up..

Thanks a lot Faraer, apprecaite the effort

Personally Elminster is one of my favourite characters, and I would personally get any book with his name on it. Dont know why, just would -shrugs-

MuadDib - Candlekeep Inn Barhand
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2003 :  14:52:03  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's the 200th issue of Dragon Magazine, the roleplaying/D&D magazine published by TSR, Wizards of the Coast, and now Paizo publishing. The Realms first saw print in its pages, building an audience for the Realms years before the original campaign set was released in 1987, and it's published a couple of hundred Realms-based articles including large amounts of Realmslore found nowhere else. The Dragon Magazine Archive of pdfs is still available, and back issues can be bought from sellers like nobleknight.com, dragontrove.com, titangames.com, hitpointe.com. This site lists the Realms articles: http://www.aeolia.net/realms/realms-articles.html
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2003 :  21:00:48  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also try to buy the Dragon CD rom. It is great. But only up too issue 250. Still I get lots of fantastic information from it even though there is nothing 3e. It is pretty easy to convert some of the old dragon stuff though, and merge it into the world, especially with the prestige class system.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2003 :  21:07:23  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sage of Perth

Mournblade also said -
quote:
I am assuming that 'and many others' that you mentioned include such Krynnish arcanists as Par-Salian, Dalamar, Justarius, or even maybe Ladonna?.

Well sage I didn't include them but I am sure they are there! After all if the mages of the multiverse are having a meeting, why would they let ME know? I guess I will have to state that the times I have used this meeting, always in a Roleplaying fashion, (you can't possibly attack these mages here, even if you wanted too), that the mages on my list were the only ones present at the time. The other mages you speak of must not have been available for those meetings.

But what you say about Sigil was a thought I had when Planescape was published. I was going to make a building for those mages. However, I decided that the place they meet should only be accessed by very powerful mages, and not even the Lady of Pain should really know where it is, so I just made it a demi plane. I need a name for it though. I bet there is a portal to it in SIgil though...

Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2003 :  21:12:23  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

Those 'recurring opinions' are canards. 99% of the anti-Elminster drivel you'll hear is based on total hearsay unrelated to the character as portrayed in the literature. You couldn't find someone to whom the 'munchkin' mentality is so alien as to Ed.

1. Elminster obviously is a compelling character, or he wouldn't sell so many novels and be so beloved. On the other hand, Ed has hundreds of characters more suited as novel protagonists and who he'd rather use.

2. There are several evil mortals comparable in power. But the Realms doesn't work by people approaching each other and challenging them to deathmatches, it works by intrigue and long campaigns.

3 is just plainly false.

"The Wizards Three: Once more the three" is the fourth of the "Magic in the Evening"/"Wizards Three" articles. It's in Dragon #200.

I've found that most of the people that post any sort of THIS CHARACTER IS TOO POWERFUL drivel, are just blowing wind. These complaints I have heard a hundred times, even about my NPC's (not from my players though), and it just sounds like someone trying to prove they have a grasp on power balance. It is my opinion, that a DM can make anything work. My only real mistakes in the past 2 years, occured just when I started using 3rd edition. I gave the characters any armour they wanted, and the paladin chose full plate. I figured OK since I was able to handle any first level PC with a 2nd ed AC of zero. Boy was I chagrinned when I figured out that the 1st level monsters were hopeless against this character. I actually had to tell my players I erred. It was terrible. I felt like GROO the Wanderer.

Edited by - Mournblade on 06 Aug 2003 21:13:28
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2003 :  06:28:39  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mournblade said -
quote:
But what you say about Sigil was a thought I had when Planescape was published. I was going to make a building for those mages. However, I decided that the place they meet should only be accessed by very powerful mages, and not even the Lady of Pain should really know where it is, so I just made it a demi plane. I need a name for it though. I bet there is a portal to it in SIgil though...

Actually instead of a typical portal, what would be interesting is to have it connected to Sigil by one of the Lady's Mazes making it virtually inaccessible to those without the knowledge of the maze itself. Of course this starts to get into the whole Border Ethereal and Deep Ethereal complexes, but it is an interesting idea, nonetheless.

It is a better idea though, to have it based in a demi-plane. Even if, as you say, you had based this council in Sigil, I find it hard to believe the Lady of Pain and her horde of Dabus would not learn of it eventually.

Go to Top of Page

fourthmensch
Acolyte

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2004 :  22:39:57  Show Profile  Visit fourthmensch's Homepage Send fourthmensch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The wizard's council is a really fun idea. I can just see Elminster, Merlin, and Gandalf having a contest to see who can best impersonate each other :). I might even have to steal this idea...

If you're looking for a setting, maybe you could consider Union. Its a planar metropolis detailed in the ELH.

I want you to go home and ponder the meaning of the word subversive.

Gully Foyle is my name
And Terra is my nation
Deep space is my dwelling place
The stars my destination.
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2004 :  14:40:01  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've read up on Union, and I must say that I was rather disappointed with the entry in the Epic Level Handbook. I'd heard that it was meant to present the 3e version of Sigil, but judging from what was written, the information comes off wanting.

Fortunately, a 3e Guide to Sigil is now available, so we need not rely on Union .

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2005 :  02:41:10  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I say that Elminister does have a match to match up against him one such oppent would be either the avatars of the various dark gods or The Most High of Shade Enclave who afterall had yet to meet Elminister in combat. I place my bets on the The Most High of Shade Enclave.

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2005 :  03:23:51  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shadovar

I say that Elminister does have a match to match up against him one such oppent would be either the avatars of the various dark gods or The Most High of Shade Enclave who afterall had yet to meet Elminister in combat. I place my bets on the The Most High of Shade Enclave.

I had a couple PCs back in the day who could take him, but that's game mechanics. The wondrous thing about fiction is that authors aren't bound by game mechanics -- even in the realms, you get to fudge dice rolls as much as you want.

But yes, in order to preserve consistency, Elminster is written as precisely what he is: a very, VERY powerful archmage, one with few rivals (though the Simbul could school him if she wanted him for *ahem* that use of his body ).

Let's not neglect, however, emotional warfare. No matter how powerful one gets physically, or magically, one can still be crippled or even defeated by wit or emotion. To see a perfect example of what I mean, check out Frank Herbert's Dune series (particularly AFTER book 1).

If Elminster found himself in a situation where he had to choose between saving his own life (well, *existence* really, since resurrection tends to happen a fair amount in fantasy) or that of, say, Alassra (the Simbul) -- what would he do?

Just food for thought.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2005 :  13:16:52  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I think he would spend his life instead so as to save his lady, I am quite sure he will definitely surrender his life so that his lady life can be saved.
*Chuckles.*

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2005 :  19:26:48  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So what if it was her life/existence vs. the survival of the weave, or the survival of a whole nation? What if she went rogue, and he (the only one powerful enough) had to put her down to keep her from destroying half the Realms?

See -- it's possible to have lots of conflicts one wouldn't normally consider.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2005 :  19:59:38  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

So what if it was her life/existence vs. the survival of the weave, or the survival of a whole nation? What if she went rogue, and he (the only one powerful enough) had to put her down to keep her from destroying half the Realms?

Cheers

Then he'd let her go and or try to remove her or let her die. Seriously this is El here. He's seen more lovers, family, friends, etc, die in the last thousand years, which is one of the reasons all of the Chosen of Mystra are insane. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2005 :  19:19:19  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31

quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

Cheers

Then he'd let her go and or try to remove her or let her die. Seriously this is El here. He's seen more lovers, family, friends, etc, die in the last thousand years, which is one of the reasons all of the Chosen of Mystra are insane. :)

But would it be fun to read about? Perhaps. It would certainly undermine the whole "The Chosen are immortal and therefore boring" argument.

And the Chosen rock.

Especially Dove.

Oh look -- we teased out my favorite among the superheroes. Kudos.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2005 :  21:41:04  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dove? Ah well, she's nice enough, but personally I prefer Laerel since two nights ago when I after reading her write-up in Seven Sisters ended up having a rather weird dream of Laerel and Khelben singing karaoke to the Beautiful South version of This will be our year. (And yes, I will find a shrink as soon as possible.)

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2005 :  23:36:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of the Seven Sisters, Laeral would be my fave, too. Why? I like her sense of humor and her mischievousness (big surprise, there, right? ).

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2005 :  02:15:35  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Of the Seven Sisters, Laeral would be my fave, too. Why? I like her sense of humor and her mischievousness (big surprise, there, right? ).

Her and Qilue make quite the team. Isn't one or both of them into impersonating the other at times?
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2005 :  02:50:41  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Her and Qilue make quite the team. Isn't one or both of them into impersonating the other at times?

Qilue usually impersonates Laeral. :)

And if I had to pick one of the Seven, it would be Storm. She just always interested me. And the naked wood chopping, except for her scuffy boots, helps as well. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Edited by - Kuje on 15 Apr 2005 02:51:52
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2005 :  03:47:14  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Which source first mentioned Qilue impersonating Laeral? I want to say it was in a Dragon article.

quote:

And if I had to pick one of the Seven, it would be Storm. She just always interested me. And the naked wood chopping, except for her scuffy boots, helps as well. :)

I didn't know you were into wood chopping so much. Must have logging blood in your veins.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2005 :  03:57:43  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Which source first mentioned Qilue impersonating Laeral? I want to say it was in a Dragon article.

I didn't know you were into wood chopping so much. Must have logging blood in your veins.

UH? Silverfall maybe? Seven Sisters? Shrug? Dragon article seems right also at least the one for the Promanade because Steven thought it was Laeral until the very end.

And well we still use a fireplace to heat the house in the winter so, maybe that's where I get it from. I hated cutting and stacking wood as a kid. :) But I think it's more of the naked, except for the boots part, that is more of a interest. :) And I just like Storm's background more then the others. Qilue's comes second because her birth is different.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2005 :  04:53:51  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
And I just like Storm's background more then the others. Qilue's comes second because her birth is different.

Sure, and the images of them maybe chopping wood together never crosses your mind....
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2005 :  05:33:10  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
And I just like Storm's background more then the others. Qilue's comes second because her birth is different.

Sure, and the images of them maybe chopping wood together never crosses your mind....

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2005 :  05:35:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I'm thinking it was "If You Need Help -- Ask the Drow!" 'Twas by Ed Greenwood and Steven Schend, and appeared in Dragon 176.

The final bits of the article:

quote:
When our companion finished speaking, it was late indeed. The lady smiled at us, set down her now-empty glass, and rose in a graceful shifting of skirts.

“It’s been a pleasure, gentlemen. Laeral was right; thou are a ‘delightful bunch of crazy folk.’ Fare thee well, until next we meet.” As a gentle silver radiance grew about her, she turned away.

“‘Laeral was right’?” we asked in astonishment. “Then who, good lady, are you?”

The lady turned back to us. In the silvery light, she seemed somehow taller, her hair as silver as the moonlight in her hand, and her skin darker.

“Names are not things to be lightly given. I am the Seventh, if thou must place me; Laeral is but one of my sisters. I used to get into trouble, when we were young, for taking her likeness and working mischief. Thou may have noticed, as in thine own lives, that old habits die hard.”

The moonlight dwindled, and she was gone, leaving us staring at each other. The Realms still hold secrets to dumbfound us, and there will always be mysteries. Life, as Elminster reminds us gently from time to time, is like that.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000