Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Resurrection
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Moonlight
Acolyte

25 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2009 :  11:31:06  Show Profile  Visit Moonlight's Homepage Send Moonlight a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Is it always possible to resurrect people? I am asking more in terms of how resurrection works in computer games, for example Baldur's Gate.

Why you can resurrect your companion but not other plot persons? When is resurrection not possible and what can be the reasons for not being so? Thanks.

Sehanine is dreaming...

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2009 :  11:39:32  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A decent enough cleric can "by default" resurrect anyone s/he likes. A DM can - for the sake of the game / campaign / plot / you name it - rule that certain resurrection can not happen in certain cases and may or may not give viable explanations for this (e.g. deity does not approve of this; the soul does not want to come back into the mortal world etc.). Generally, within the game, if the requirements are met by the cleric and the creature to be resurrected, nothing bars the cleric from doing so.

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gęš a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerūn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

Moonlight
Acolyte

25 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2009 :  11:45:01  Show Profile  Visit Moonlight's Homepage Send Moonlight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can you please list some reasons why someone can't be resurrected? Is time a factor, are there magic that when used don't allow the victim to be resurrected or other reasons? Thanks.

Sehanine is dreaming...
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2009 :  11:53:16  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Time can be a problem, but see for yourself ... there are two versions of this spell:

"Normal" Resurrection
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/resurrection.htm

and a better version - True Resurrection
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/trueResurrection.htm

Both need rather high lever clerics though, i.e. 13th+ and 17th+ level respectively. These are the "bare bones" - version of the spells, as I indicated above. If the DM / designer / author decides that resurrection cannot happen for any other reason, so be it.

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gęš a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerūn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.

Edited by - Zanan on 23 May 2009 11:54:45
Go to Top of Page

Artemel
Learned Scribe

USA
110 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2009 :  14:49:17  Show Profile  Visit Artemel's Homepage Send Artemel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And to top it all off, certain spells or creatures have abilities that can stop resurrection, too.

Such as:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/barghest.htm

They have a feeding ability that destroys souls, requiring even higher level magic to resurrect (the True Resurrection) and even then it only has a 50% chance of success.

And for spells:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/soulBind.htm

This will totally stop the spells from bringing back the dead... unless you find and destroy the gem imprisoning the soul.

That's just two more examples, and as DM you can make up nearly anything and if there is a logical enough reason behind it, your players probably will not mind.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2009 :  18:17:29  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed has discussed this over the years and his replies include reasons why some people can't be resurrected. :)

Look in his collected replies. The link is in Sage's sig. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

IngoDjan
Learned Scribe

Brazil
146 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2009 :  18:19:52  Show Profile  Visit IngoDjan's Homepage Send IngoDjan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, the God of Death can bar a ress spell from any Cleric. The ress spell is a negotiation of lord of Death and the lord of the dead person. This i told in a book that i can“t remember.
Similary to Mystras Weave bless. Can“t be denied to someone except with a good GOD reason.

Ingo Djan
DUNGEON MASTER AO OF THE DIAMONDS!
"I see the future repeat the past. It all is a museum of great news. The Time do not stop."
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2009 :  01:04:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Ed has discussed this over the years and his replies include reasons why some people can't be resurrected. :)

Which is right here!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Moonlight
Acolyte

25 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2009 :  11:43:29  Show Profile  Visit Moonlight's Homepage Send Moonlight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great, thanks everyone.

Sehanine is dreaming...
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2009 :  16:31:45  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Which is right here!

Quick question, off-topic for the scroll (which seems to have resolved its discussion anyway) but on-topic for The Sage's post. Are Ed's replies for the rest of 2008 (not to mention Q1 of 2009) on their way to that list? If it's a matter of a lack of time to get it done, I can appreciate that; if there's a way in which I can help out, let me know.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2009 :  16:50:30  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

Quick question, off-topic for the scroll (which seems to have resolved its discussion anyway) but on-topic for The Sage's post. Are Ed's replies for the rest of 2008 (not to mention Q1 of 2009) on their way to that list?
Yes. I've finished compiling '08, and I'm completely up-to-date with '09 [including today]. I'm just waiting for Alaundo's okay before I send the finished compilations over to him for inclusion on the main site.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

edappel
Learned Scribe

Brazil
211 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2009 :  20:37:17  Show Profile Send edappel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Moonlight

Is it always possible to resurrect people? I am asking more in terms of how resurrection works in computer games, for example Baldur's Gate.

Why you can resurrect your companion but not other plot persons? When is resurrection not possible and what can be the reasons for not being so? Thanks.

The biggest problem to make a ressurection is: the target wants to be ressurected?
There are many novels that explores that.. (SPOILERS AHEAD)

Bruenor, on The two swords trilogy didn't want to get away from Moradin.

If I'm not wrong, on Cleric's Quintet, Cadderly tried to ressurect his tutor, but the spirit remained with Deneir.

At The Last Mythal Trilogy, Fflar hated to leave his wife and Corelon at Arvandor.

(/SPOILERS]

So, every time you try to ressurect someone, you should think if he wants to be ressurected... Probably, the only way to find eternal peace, is beside your god... So, why someone would leave it?

--- Ed Appel

*** I'm a brazilian FR fan. So, feel free to correct my writing mistakes to improve my english.
Go to Top of Page

Nerfed2Hell
Senior Scribe

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2009 :  22:33:38  Show Profile  Visit Nerfed2Hell's Homepage Send Nerfed2Hell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, friends and I have had the discussion about resurrection and people not wanting to leave paradise, so how does the spell ever work...

Here are some of the possibilities we've explored (though haven't settled on any of them):

* Resurrection entreats the diety, not the individual spirit. If the diety feels the spirit can do more back in life, it will return. This is also a safeguard against people bringing back the dead for malicious reasons since a diety wouldn't put one of its own into such a position (without good reason).

* Resurrection entreats the god of the dead who has the authority to restore a dead soul regardless of respective faith. This allows a cleric of one diety to resurrect the faithful of another. His spell is granted by his own diety as a means to petition the death god on behalf of the diety (or directly in the case of a cleric of the death god).

* Resurrection pulls a spirit away from its diety's realm regardless of respective faiths or permissions. This is an ugly solution that would allow anyone to resurrect anyone and abuse the power. The only way this would work, in my opinion, is if individuals were held accountable for their resurrections... so bringing back the dead for malicious purposes would invoke the ire of the diety involved.

Some people are like a slinky... not good for much, but when you push them down the stairs, it makes you smile.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2009 :  23:01:43  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A twist on the first of N2H's possibilities is that the Resurrection spell entreats the spirt and the Deity that they are needed. That way, if the spirit is happy, the deity can also tell the spirit they are needed greatly, hence making it more likely they will come back.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000