Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Best Post
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

edappel
Learned Scribe

Brazil
211 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2009 :  15:12:47  Show Profile Send edappel a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Recently, I'm reading old posts from many topics. Many of them made me amazed.
So, I came here to question you all, which topics/posts are the best ones on you opinion? (to a good reading and knowledge)

Thanks!
Ed Appel

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2009 :  15:31:26  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by edappel

Recently, I'm reading old posts from many topics. Many of them made me amazed.
So, I came here to question you all, which topics/posts are the best ones on you opinion? (to a good reading and knowledge)

Thanks!
Ed Appel

The Ask Ed scrolls are the best posts by far!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2009 :  15:35:48  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm always in antici------pation for THO's next ... words ... uh, gotta go take a cold shower!

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2009 :  17:17:26  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

I'm always in antici------pation for THO's next ... words ... uh, gotta go take a cold shower!

I enjoy her posts too (and I'm female!).

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2009 :  17:34:48  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's no way I can answer this, I've seen way to many posts, and posted in many of them, over the past five or six years.

Gods, I've been on these boards way to long!

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2009 :  17:37:00  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, it's hard to answer this kind of question. There are so many posts that I enjoy...and so many posters, too.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2009 :  17:44:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've got 15000 posts. I can't remember all of them, much less all of the ones made by others!

In general, though, my faves are ones by Steven, and Krash, and THO, and Ed, and Garen, and anyone else who shares canon and near-canon lore.

There have been some scribes over the years that I had many amusing exchanges with, too. I've always enjoyed those, too.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2009 :  19:57:02  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I see Lady THO is... changing some of us, Rinonalyrna...

I also favor posts made by Ed and our Lady. Mace Hammerhand's rants are always impressive, and dead-on. But I think the best are posts from Ed with commentary from THO... knowledge, good reading, and enjoyment...

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions – just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."
Go to Top of Page

SeeDiGi
Acolyte

Bermuda
34 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2009 :  21:02:21  Show Profile  Visit SeeDiGi's Homepage Send SeeDiGi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anything with informative info is a good one.
Go to Top of Page

edappel
Learned Scribe

Brazil
211 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2009 :  21:13:09  Show Profile Send edappel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well.. It's hard to find all the best posts of Ed... And I'm here to ask some that amazed you. ;)

My favorite is his first one: http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1901&whichpage=1

Any other to suggest?

--- Ed Appel

*** I'm a brazilian FR fan. So, feel free to correct my writing mistakes to improve my english.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2009 :  01:05:57  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I can confidently say that being the oldest of the original scribes still regularly participating here at Candlekeep [since Sep. '02], I've seen plenty of great and/or interesting posts from members. Posts that have made me laugh, or cry, or just plain think about I envision the Realms. I've even read plenty, mostly by desigerns/authors, that have taught me something about the Realms that I wouldn't have otherwise known had I not been an active participate here. The "secrets of the Sages" are among the posts that I value the most here.

In that vain, I've also seen plenty of dedicated scribes come and go. Some stop by for a few months or years, only to pass on to other areas of the web. And others, like Jamallo, unfortunately leave us due to matters beyond their control.

I'm happy to say that I've engaged with plenty of scribes who I now consider friends, and others who I consider important to advancing my knowledge of the Realms.

And after all these years, I'd have to count Ed's/THO's, Elaine's, Steven's, Krash's, Garen's, and Erik's posts as the "best" posts. But I think that I would qualify "best" somewhat different to most others here. In my case, the "best" posts are those that share Realms knowledge that isn't otherwise easily accessible in lorebooks or novels. Posts that also reveal the internal mechanisms involved in the creation of Realmslore are among those I value as well. And, finally, I consider Ed's replies from the yearly interpretations of the "Questions for Ed Greenwood" scroll to be the "best of the best." Truly, these are what the Realms are all about. Wholesome lore that appreciates every single nuance of the original Realms, and benefits from the fact that it has been generated by the creator of the setting.

Having said that, I don't want it to seem like I'm unappreciative of other hard-working scribes here at Candlekeep. It's always a pleasure to talk with you all.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 19 Apr 2009 06:21:48
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2009 :  05:28:42  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks to those who have included me in very august company indeed.

The posts that I enjoy reading usually relate to an aspect of realmslore that has hitherto received only a passing mention and is then brightly unfurled for everyone to enjoy in exacting detail. There have been numerous examples of these types of responses over the years - far too many to list here.

Other posts I enjoy usually contain discussion regarding clashes/conflicts in realmslore and suggest a way through the conflict and provide viable alternatives for DMs and FR fans in general.

Lastly, I enjoy it when I see people make an effort to create realmslore from "whole cloth" be it a place, person, magic item etc. When such writings are rooted into the bedrock of the setting I find them altogether exciting (and usually inspire me to 'make up stuff' myself).

This place holds many members with great imaginations, erudite communication skills and wondrous creative writing ability. If you stick around, you'll soon find your own favourites among the many.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 14 Apr 2009 05:29:44
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2009 :  11:33:23  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I´m with many here... the Ed answers are really something to be looking for, but it´s not the sole ones...

There are many scrolls, of many scribes, that give me marvelous moments in the Keep, and in the Realms.

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2009 :  11:38:40  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to say I agree 100% with all that Sage said... (but you forgot to mention Wooly! )

(and George, you need to grow a beard.... )

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2009 :  11:45:23  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seems like Sage managed to say more or less what I would have said.

I would add Faraer's posts though. Always insightful and interesting.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2009 :  17:11:06  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This post I am posting now is the best post

Seriously though, I mostly enjoy discussions with Authors about their novels.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2009 :  17:22:52  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Asgetrion

I have to say I agree 100% with all that Sage said... (but you forgot to mention Wooly! )

George needs no beard! How else do you think we know which one is him when we gather at the secret cabal meetings?
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2009 :  00:44:04  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

quote:
Originally posted by Asgetrion

George needs no beard! How else do you think we know which one is him when we gather at the secret cabal meetings?

Uh, by the silly Santa mask he's chosen to wear under the hood?

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2009 :  16:45:48  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mr. de Bie's post about the different styles of the bladesong is my favorite post thus far.

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

edappel
Learned Scribe

Brazil
211 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2009 :  13:32:32  Show Profile Send edappel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another good one:
Brian James telling the legend of The creation of Toril

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?whichpage=10&TOPIC_ID=9981&

--- Ed Appel

*** I'm a brazilian FR fan. So, feel free to correct my writing mistakes to improve my english.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2009 :  13:37:30  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Another good one:
Brian James telling the legend of The creation of Toril

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?whichpage=10&TOPIC_ID=9981&

One of the legends. Granted, it's a good one but, not to nitpick, every race has their own.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Neil Bishop
Learned Scribe

Singapore
100 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2009 :  05:40:21  Show Profile  Visit Neil Bishop's Homepage Send Neil Bishop a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage (snip) Wholesome lore that appreciates every single nuisance of the original Realms, and benefits from the fact that it has been generated by the creator of the setting. (snip)

I don't normally correct anyone's misuse of English... but I think you mean nuance and it's a fairly important distinction in this case. ;)

@OP: When I first started lurking here a long, long time ago, I did a search for anything by George Krashos. I was amazed at how much good stuff came up from that.

Ed and THO's replies also are golden. Sometimes the summaries are better than the "live" threads because the off-topic banter gets omitted which makes it easier to read.

Otherwise, I most certainly concur with most of the other posters (but, Sage, please fix your post! :)).

Regards
NXB
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2009 :  06:22:51  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Neil.

I don't see how I'd missed that earlier. Ah, well.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2009 :  18:01:36  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wont be original at all but I really think Ed's ( THO's), Elaine's, Steven's, Krash's, Brian's, Erik's and others Sages' replies are of course the best posts of the forums.

But the latters are not those I read the more.
My preferred posts are in the quizz, with no hesitation !

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

edappel
Learned Scribe

Brazil
211 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2009 :  12:35:07  Show Profile Send edappel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another nice topic:

Names of the Realms. (obviously, the best post there is a quote from Ed)
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12424

--- Ed Appel

Go to Top of Page

edappel
Learned Scribe

Brazil
211 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2009 :  19:13:30  Show Profile Send edappel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anothed one added to my list.

This topic (http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12494) starts with a normal discussion pos/pre spellplague.. But it turns to some interesting posts from Eric, Byers, CR and Wooly.

--- Ed Appel

Go to Top of Page

edappel
Learned Scribe

Brazil
211 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2009 :  19:32:54  Show Profile Send edappel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Post-Spellplague bibliography
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11510&whichpage=1

--- Ed Appel

Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2009 :  20:38:25  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Post-Spellplague bibliography
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11510&whichpage=1

I totally agree with Ed appel !

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.

Edited by - Fillow on 25 May 2009 20:40:06
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000