Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 weapons
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

The Great Drizzt
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2002 :  06:55:36  Show Profile  Visit The Great Drizzt's Homepage Send The Great Drizzt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lol, yeah!
Call me Super Drow!
The Great Drizzt

"Don't poke Drizzt, 'tis highly unsociable!" Drizzt Do'Urden -BG1
Go to Top of Page

Darwin Tenderfoot
Seeker

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2002 :  12:49:22  Show Profile  Visit Darwin Tenderfoot's Homepage Send Darwin Tenderfoot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a question why cant the races roll for exceptional Height? just wondering. A dagger is just a good weapon all around its so versatile.

Darwin
Go to Top of Page

The Great Drizzt
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2002 :  06:39:26  Show Profile  Visit The Great Drizzt's Homepage Send The Great Drizzt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah your right, I'm always a Drow character, and I always use a Dagger as my secondary weapon, and sometimes even my primary weapon, like when I'm a Mage sometimes, or an assassin, I love daggers, and Drow have an ability that gives them a +1 to hit!
The Great Drizzt

Go to Top of Page

sabre
Acolyte

Turkey
47 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2002 :  12:23:42  Show Profile Send sabre a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Great Drizzt

.....ok I'll start over.
If youre big enough, and strong enough, then why cant you weild two?
say like a giant or something big and strong, 2 two-handed swords, would be the equivelent of 2 long swords, see my logic now?
and i'm sure theres at least one person thats grand master in the nodatchi, so if they are a grand master the die goes from 1d20 to 1d100 because its the next die up, and I was just saying it would be cool to be a grandmaster with it and wield two, ok?
The Great Drizzt

You can use two two-handed swords if you are in the category higher than medium size,actually in one of my campaign a spell enhanced giant(mountain if ý remember rightly) wielded a 2handedsword and great axe both.
i don't know the weapon that you spoke of but if the weapon hit with a 1d20 and you be a grand master die category will not be the 1d100 but it will be 3d8...

sabre
Go to Top of Page

Artalis
Senior Scribe

USA
444 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2002 :  17:19:24  Show Profile Send Artalis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the case of 2-handed weapons I believe the question is mass. If the mass of the weapon exceeds a certain percentage of the mass of the character it would require 2 hands so I guess a good rule would be around 3% per hand

So if your elven fighter is about 140 lbs any weapon above say 4.2 lbs would require another hand. hmmm maybe 3% is too low.

What say you my scholarly friends?

Artalis

Email

Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2002 :  17:42:16  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Depends on how far one wants to go in approaching realism or which edition one is using. 3rd edition is pretty straight forward. If the weapon is same size category (or smaller) as the wielder, it can be wielded in one hand. If the weapon's size category is larger, then two hands are required.

Of the top of my head I can't recall the 2nd edition rules, but going by memory, the procedure resembled the one described above.

Edited by - Mumadar Ibn Huzal on 10 Dec 2002 17:43:05
Go to Top of Page

Echon
Senior Scribe

Denmark
422 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2002 :  21:22:46  Show Profile  Visit Echon's Homepage Send Echon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Of the top of my head I can't recall the 2nd edition rules, but going by memory, the procedure resembled the one described above.

2nd Ed is the same thing. Which means that a halfling (or a gnome) cannot use a two-handed sword which is size L compared to size S.

-Echon

"If others had not been foolish, we should be so."

-William Blake
Go to Top of Page

The Great Drizzt
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2002 :  06:22:20  Show Profile  Visit The Great Drizzt's Homepage Send The Great Drizzt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eh who cares about weight, and size and math, all that matters is that I really want to be an giant Drow that can dual-weild two-handed swords
The Great Drizzt

Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2002 :  09:12:21  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just keep looking for that old battered looking oil-lamp and polish it up a little. Who knows, there might be a djinni inside granting your wish.

Remember though that in 2nd edition Large creatures receive large damage when hit... There are disadvantages to being so big...
Go to Top of Page

Ghost
Acolyte

Netherlands
38 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2002 :  18:18:35  Show Profile  Visit Ghost's Homepage Send Ghost a Private Message  Reply with Quote
...and their armor and equipment costs at least double as much, they need more food, beds and horses are always to small, you are a bigger target for arrows, and crawling through tunnels gets boring pretty soon...

The way of a superior man are three-fold;
virtuous, he is free from anxieties;
wise, he is free from perplexities;
bold, he is free from fear. ~ Confucius

Edited by - Ghost on 11 Dec 2002 18:19:39
Go to Top of Page

Artalis
Senior Scribe

USA
444 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2002 :  19:51:59  Show Profile Send Artalis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Great Drizzt Posted - 11 Dec 2002 : 06:22:20
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eh who cares about weight, and size and math, all that matters is that I really want to be an giant Drow that can dual-weild two-handed swords
The Great Drizzt

Enlarge followed by Permanency and you should have what you want.

Should be a small matter for someone of your stature to secure those magics. No?

Artalis

Email

Go to Top of Page

sabre
Acolyte

Turkey
47 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2002 :  21:26:28  Show Profile Send sabre a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

No offense taken.
Daggers are pretty cool, you guys ever read about Jarlaxle in action with his daggers? Drizzt might actually lose that battle!(hope not)
The Great Drizzt

yeah i read it all about Jar'laxle ,my favorite bounty hunter:),
-in a matter of second and kobold got hit with five nasty daggers...
Jar'laxle and his dagger creating bracelet i gotto get one...
But if you come to a fight between Drizzt and legendary Bregan Da'erthe leader i should remember about cavern fight under the mytril Hall;He was "hunter" again and he was beating a drider(dinin ) fighting with a cleric of lloth(vierna) and meanwhile
blocking Jar'laxle's wicked throwing daggers...Waov what a scene it was!still it gets me exciting...
so i am sure he will still handle jar'laxle:)

sabre
Go to Top of Page

The Great Drizzt
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2002 :  07:01:03  Show Profile  Visit The Great Drizzt's Homepage Send The Great Drizzt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You're absolutely right Artalis, you seem like just the mage I need to join up with me, then you can cast the spells and I won't have to find them!
Right on Sabre, now thats what I'm talking about, Jarlaxle is king in my books, Drizzt is still one bad Drow too, don't get me wrong!
The Great Drizzt

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Leader
Learned Scribe

USA
337 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2003 :  15:00:14  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Leader's Homepage Send Cult_Leader a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ArionElenim

Can someone please explain why a scimitar in the Realms used to be wide, flat, curved and broad with a sharp edge on one side and a sharp point sticking out horizontally on the other...and now is just a curved, thin blade with only one striking edge?

That is because scimitars were use as hunting tools before they were fighting swords. Kind of odd huh. Welp. They were. They were made to either hack at an animal or to be through at an animal, thus why the old blades are so odd, and have their back side kind of sharp and that sticking out part. It was not till the turks and muslems started to use them as fighting swords that they were .... well fighting swords. Since people do not use them as hunting swords anymore, like all things people urned them into fighting swords for quick kills parrys etc. Nothing new. Infact look at kanatas. They use to have NO CURVES..... Latter on they began to curve the blade. Anyway. I hope this helps you out.

"Madness you say! Do you fear me? Are you afraid of what I might do, of what I might say? What a fascinating reaction. Don't you find it somewhat encumbering?"

Piddles assumes a deep and resonant voice. "Space...the Final Frontier. These are the voyages of the starship...Garou. It's mission: to slay Wyrm creatures where they live and breed. To accumulate more Garou than the world's entire population. To produce metis like no one has before." - Piddles

"Aren't you people supposed to be doing something? Like, entertaining me, the fascist wizard?" - InleRah

I have the passwords to the minds of everyone and the cheat codes to the universe - Me
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Leader
Learned Scribe

USA
337 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2003 :  15:06:37  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Leader's Homepage Send Cult_Leader a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ArionElenim

Oh, and has anyone found a use in their gaming for those huge, double-sided chains that orcs use?

On top of which, a question on feats...

If a fighter has two attacks naturally, then takes the Two-Weapon fighting feat for a third, and then the IMPROVED TWF Feat, does he then have four attacks per round?

Questions, questions....

AHEM! No fighter either in 1st, second, nore third ed gets two attacks naturally until they are of a higher level.

In first and second end you dont get two attacks till later on in levels, however you can start out fighting with two attacks of course if your specailized in that said weapon. In third tuff luck ... Wait till you can even have two attacks. If your dual weilding all it dose is let you attack once with your off hand weapon which will have to be one full size lower then your on hand weapon. I.E, Skippy the pally is 7th level and gets two attacks because he is a paladin. Skippy decides that he needs no shield so he dual weilds long swords. His two actions would be, On and attack on hand attack, and then he would get one off hand attack. Just because you dual wield dose not mean that you get double your normal attacks... You just get one extra with your off hand. ... Its a common thing found in your book....

The doual spike chains that orcs use come in handy.... You can disarm people and trip them in two attacks ... On hand attack and then off hand attack... This counts as dual weilding by the way. Anyway... After that beat them with the chain before they can stand back up ... easy as pie hehehehehe

"Madness you say! Do you fear me? Are you afraid of what I might do, of what I might say? What a fascinating reaction. Don't you find it somewhat encumbering?"

Piddles assumes a deep and resonant voice. "Space...the Final Frontier. These are the voyages of the starship...Garou. It's mission: to slay Wyrm creatures where they live and breed. To accumulate more Garou than the world's entire population. To produce metis like no one has before." - Piddles

"Aren't you people supposed to be doing something? Like, entertaining me, the fascist wizard?" - InleRah

I have the passwords to the minds of everyone and the cheat codes to the universe - Me
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Leader
Learned Scribe

USA
337 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2003 :  15:17:05  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Leader's Homepage Send Cult_Leader a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mumadar Ibn Huzal

What you are trying sounds like too much munchkinism and very far removed from roleplaying to me.

On your question on wielding 2 two-handed swords. The name says it already. A two-handed sword. Any medium creature needs two hands to wield 1 two-handed sword. No matter what strength the character has. And wielding a sword is not only a question of strength.

I don't know the oriental-type weapon you're referring to of the top of my head, but if it has a die of 1d20 for damage, it is most likely a a two handed weapon. The same argument as above would apply. From a roleplaying point of view... how many grand masters of that weapon would there be in a world? in other words, how would a character ever hope to achieve that level of competency with the weapon.

Actually that is just a common thing that happens in 3rd ed. 3e is way to easy to break and snap. I think it was made that way so people could make the most powerful char that they could ... the twinks. Anyway... There are highly more broken twinkish things my friend. Once I made a twink char without even taking note of it. The st gave me the chance to play a new char since my old one was and could have killed the party... I could start out at lv 3 and have enough gold to buy some neat magic. I made a human fighter, bought mithril armour, a nice spiffy +2 tower sheild, a nice crystal great sword ( which I had monkey grip to hold it in one hand) that was master work and keen ... thus the crit rate on it was already 16-20.... with 3/4's cover from my sheild which is AC+7 .... I was never hit save on crits. And I delt massive dmg. Thats twinkish. I quit playing him third night after making him.

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Leader
Learned Scribe

USA
337 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2003 :  15:20:01  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Leader's Homepage Send Cult_Leader a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I have a question,
How come even if you have the strength, you can't wield 2 two-handed swords, it says in the books that they are to unbalanced, and awkward to wield two, I would think the awkwardness would go away if the person was strong enough, plus imagine how bad-ass you would be fighting with 2 two-handed swords!
Another question if I may, In 2nd ED. it says when you reach grand mastery you gain +3 to hit, +3 to dmg, 3 atks per rd., and dmg goes up one full die, so if the nodatchie(probly spelled wrong) does 1d20/1d20, then when you reached grand mastery the dmg would be 1d100/1d100! is that right? now imagine wielding 2 of those at grand mastery level! now that would be sweet!
The Great Drizzt

I would like to clear this one up a bit. YOU CAN if you have the feat monkey grip which you can easily afford in third ed at 3 levels of fighter... YAY .. Im glad other people over look the fact that Monkey grip allows you to hold a weapon of one size catagory higher then what your size allows. have fun skipper. Just remember ... by making a char dual weild those bad boys.... People are going to start tossing bigger meaner things at you ... which your party will blame on you

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Leader
Learned Scribe

USA
337 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2003 :  15:23:23  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Leader's Homepage Send Cult_Leader a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Artalis

The Great Drizzt Posted - 11 Dec 2002 : 06:22:20
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Great Drizzt

Enlarge followed by Permanency and you should have what you want.

Should be a small matter for someone of your stature to secure those magics. No?

*bashes you over the head with his almighty Remote witht he powers of Bane VS retarded* You dont have to be big to pull that off. All you really need is monkey grip which can be found right down there in he nice fighters monk etc book that they came out with. Please try to keep that in mind....

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Leader
Learned Scribe

USA
337 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2003 :  15:36:42  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Leader's Homepage Send Cult_Leader a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cult_Leader

quote:

I have a question,
How come even if you have the strength, you can't wield 2 two-handed swords, it says in the books that they are to unbalanced, and awkward to wield two, I would think the awkwardness would go away if the person was strong enough, plus imagine how bad-ass you would be fighting with 2 two-handed swords!
Another question if I may, In 2nd ED. it says when you reach grand mastery you gain +3 to hit, +3 to dmg, 3 atks per rd., and dmg goes up one full die, so if the nodatchie(probly spelled wrong) does 1d20/1d20, then when you reached grand mastery the dmg would be 1d100/1d100! is that right? now imagine wielding 2 of those at grand mastery level! now that would be sweet!
The Great Drizzt

I would like to clear this one up a bit. YOU CAN if you have the feat monkey grip which you can easily afford in third ed at 3 levels of fighter... YAY .. Im glad other people over look the fact that Monkey grip allows you to hold a weapon of one size catagory higher then what your size allows. have fun skipper. Just remember ... by making a char dual weild those bad boys.... People are going to start tossing bigger meaner things at you ... which your party will blame on you

I almost forgot my friend. YOU CANT DUEL WEILD THAT IN 2nd ed. My post got cut in half due to me hitting the enter button .. i do that now and then. Anyway back tot hings at hand. In second ed you would have to be a large creature to dual weild a Nodachi (spelled right). The dice would go up to a d30 since d30's are the next higher dice. Not only that but unless you actually have training with it you get huge minuses.

Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2003 :  21:50:07  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
PEOPLE PLEASE!

I know this is an RP, but have you seen a two handed sword? The Claymore of William Wallace was ALMOST 6' tall. (Taller than Mel GIbson) Have you ever seen a Flamberge? Over 6 feet tall. Now I don't care if you dual wield two two handed swords. Its your campaign. But keep in mind that is SUCH a high Munchkin factor. Go visit a museum. Look at a two handed sword. Don't MIN MAX and see if that is STILL really what you want to do.

Drizzt certainly would not be dumb enough to dual wield two two handed swords. REMEMBER the CENTER OF BALANCE. Two Handed swords tend to have a center of balance farther from the hilt, because they will get MORE MOMENTUM. This would make it EXTREMELY Awkward for even a GIANT to fight with two swords of this size. A Frost giant, dual wielding two handed swords would make them closer to REALLY BIG long swords to keep the balance correct.

OK I know this is a fantasy rpg, but I still need a semblance of realism or my game will turn into something stupid like the movie FIRST KNIGHT!!!

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...

Edited by - Mournblade on 02 May 2003 21:51:53
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2003 :  06:24:57  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hear hear, Mournblade! I prefer as much realism as posible, even in fantasy. Probably my scientific nature . . . .

Now, I also once wrote an essay that compared 'Science Fiction' against 'Fantasy', and I concluded that for a writer, fantasy is easier to write. After all, it's fantasy; it doesn't have to work like the real world. But unless you're deliberately making it weird, it has to follow a logical, linear progression. (Oo, shades of Aristotle. ) And the Forgotten Realms, and therefore Dungeons & Dragons, is definately built on something that is (supposed to be, at least) logical.

So I find certain things more than a bit annoying in some stories. Like these weird fantasy weapons -- not so much in D&D, thank goodness, but you have to remember that form follows funtion. You have to have a good reason for the really strangely-shaped weapons.

And for 'normal' devices and weapons, things that we've had in our own history . . . watch out. Anyone who thinks that you can weild two huge weapons at the same time obviously hasn't held even one. My brother has several replicas, including a hand-and-a-half (I like that name better, since it describes the funtion) and a broadsword. Believe you me -- strength is not the only issue. Carrying is easy. Wielding and fighting is hard. Like Mournblade said -- center of mass

I just read a book in which a character who had trained in quarterstaff fighting picked up a halberd in a battle and faught with it. Now, I like this author -- he's really good on the character interaction and social context. But honestly, he needs work on the battle scenes. A halberd has a very heavy weight on one side -- you can't go from a quarterstaff to something like that (or even a spear) without training. It simply won't move like you want it to. I know -- I've tried it. I own both.

And then there's just plain historical context. Take a recent 'historical' (note the quotations) movie that turned out to be a hit -- Gladiator. Now I've never seen it. I don't know what the plot is, or if it's any good. It might be very good on many points of story and historical accuracy. But someone told me just a few days ago that the Romans had stirrups on their horses.

Stirrups! I couldn't help it -- I broke out laughing. Stirrups are one of those simple, commonsensical inventions that are more recent than most people think. They weren't introduced to Europe until nearly a thousand five hundred years later!

Anyway . . . I'll stop ranting now. Just use some common sense when you do this stuff. There are more rules to this sort of thing than the PHB would otherwise tell you.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2003 :  09:14:44  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings,

mournblade94 said -
quote:
PEOPLE PLEASE!

I know this is an RP, but have you seen a two handed sword? The Claymore of William Wallace was ALMOST 6' tall. (Taller than Mel GIbson) Have you ever seen a Flamberge? Over 6 feet tall. Now I don't care if you dual wield two two handed swords. Its your campaign. But keep in mind that is SUCH a high Munchkin factor. Go visit a museum. Look at a two handed sword. Don't MIN MAX and see if that is STILL really what you want to do.

Drizzt certainly would not be dumb enough to dual wield two two handed swords. REMEMBER the CENTER OF BALANCE. Two Handed swords tend to have a center of balance farther from the hilt, because they will get MORE MOMENTUM. This would make it EXTREMELY Awkward for even a GIANT to fight with two swords of this size. A Frost giant, dual wielding two handed swords would make them closer to REALLY BIG long swords to keep the balance correct.

OK I know this is a fantasy rpg, but I still need a semblance of realism or my game will turn into something stupid like the movie FIRST KNIGHT!!!

Bookwyrm said -
quote:
Hear hear, Mournblade! I prefer as much realism as posible, even in fantasy. Probably my scientific nature . . . .

Now, I also once wrote an essay that compared 'Science Fiction' against 'Fantasy', and I concluded that for a writer, fantasy is easier to write. After all, it's fantasy; it doesn't have to work like the real world. But unless you're deliberately making it weird, it has to follow a logical, linear progression. (Oo, shades of Aristotle. ) And the Forgotten Realms, and therefore Dungeons & Dragons, is definately built on something that is (supposed to be, at least) logical.

So I find certain things more than a bit annoying in some stories. Like these weird fantasy weapons -- not so much in D&D, thank goodness, but you have to remember that form follows funtion. You have to have a good reason for the really strangely-shaped weapons.

And for 'normal' devices and weapons, things that we've had in our own history . . . watch out. Anyone who thinks that you can weild two huge weapons at the same time obviously hasn't held even one. My brother has several replicas, including a hand-and-a-half (I like that name better, since it describes the funtion) and a broadsword. Believe you me -- strength is not the only issue. Carrying is easy. Wielding and fighting is hard. Like Mournblade said -- center of mass

I just read a book in which a character who had trained in quarterstaff fighting picked up a halberd in a battle and faught with it. Now, I like this author -- he's really good on the character interaction and social context. But honestly, he needs work on the battle scenes. A halberd has a very heavy weight on one side -- you can't go from a quarterstaff to something like that (or even a spear) without training. It simply won't move like you want it to. I know -- I've tried it. I own both.

And then there's just plain historical context. Take a recent 'historical' (note the quotations) movie that turned out to be a hit -- Gladiator. Now I've never seen it. I don't know what the plot is, or if it's any good. It might be very good on many points of story and historical accuracy. But someone told me just a few days ago that the Romans had stirrups on their horses.

Stirrups! I couldn't help it -- I broke out laughing. Stirrups are one of those simple, commonsensical inventions that are more recent than most people think. They weren't introduced to Europe until nearly a thousand five hundred years later!

Anyway . . . I'll stop ranting now. Just use some common sense when you do this stuff. There are more rules to this sort of thing than the PHB would otherwise tell you.
Well done, both of you. I agree with all the major points you both made in your rant's. Realism is an important part of the role-playing experience, it's what sets it apart from other activities.

Bookwyrm, you mentioned that your preference for realism was a result of your scientific nature. This is indeed a sound statement. I also tend to think along similar lines with regards to realism - on weapons, or with anything else in a campaign.

However some DM's do have the tendency to take the "realism" aspect to far, and then seem to conform to a weird sense of logic that is all their own, forgotting that in the end - it is just a game.

Good learning...

- The Sage of Perth: For all your Realms lore needs

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Leader
Learned Scribe

USA
337 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2003 :  19:43:52  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Leader's Homepage Send Cult_Leader a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mournblade94

PEOPLE PLEASE!

Just to let you know I OWN a claymore. ANd to tell the truth they are not as hard as your would think to use one handed. Not at all. Infact they are not even really that heavy. The only thing that makes them so deadly is that they have a long reach.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2003 :  19:55:11  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, there are two sizes. Is it a six-foot blade? Because that's what Mournblade was talking about.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Leader
Learned Scribe

USA
337 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2003 :  20:08:33  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Leader's Homepage Send Cult_Leader a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mournblade94

PEOPLE PLEASE!

I almost forgot. When you both began you rants and ravings. Did you keep in mind that there are actually more then one form of a claymore? There are I do belive 4. I know two of them right off the top of my head which are the scottish claymore, which was yes 6 feet long sometimes bigger. There were the Irish claymore which were gernerally between 4 and 5 feet long, and I do belive a third was the english verson of a claymore, which was nothing more then 4 feet in length to about 5, just like the Irish verson. However do not think that they are super heavy. In fact most claymores are very easy to hold and swing one handed... and a broad sword im sorry to say , to the other person who posted about sword, is nothing like a claymore, and they are not that heavy either not when you are used to using them. Which yes ... Im crazy enough to use the swords I own in duels with my friends, Anyway. As I was saying ... you can use a claymore one handed... the length is not the problem .. it is the fact that the real power of the claymore is due to it being a two haned weapin .. your not going to get the same affect from one hand on it that you will if you have two hands upon it. You could ask my friend doug that. He dose duel weild irish claymores. Anywho. The claymore is best used with two hands... it gets its power and use from that. The blade... no .. is not that heavy. Yes length is a matter. Yet look at the claymore's blade length once more... its length makes it floppy... and oh yes ... almost forgot .. its not that thick either. Thats where it gets its bend from. Most people think OMG .. a claymore.... its so heavy and powerful ... it could smash through a table... try it come time ... the only real use it has is keeping them at the end so they cant get near you. Which you have to have VERY good foot work to be able to even pull that off. ANyway the whole point to my little speah is that there is no real point even I know this. However you cannot say that someone cannot duel weild a claymore. When infact someone really actually could. Claymores are not as heavy as people would think, not unless you sit around and use a remote all day long. Then maybe it will be a bit heavy. Yes the length can affect how well you would duel wield such a sword... but if you know how, have good foot work ... you CAN pull it off. If you would like to keep saying that you cannot ... I can give you the e-mail address to five people that can tell you wrong. Doug is just one of them. Two others are infact people who belong to sword making guilds. And keep in mind as I end this little rant of mine ... that if you know what your doing and press to make yourself better at anything .. you can defy simple things... Look at people who used pens in combat. And then tell me about heavy weapons with mass...

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2003 :  20:19:04  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I notice that you still aren't talking about the largest size again -- the Scottish two-handed claymore. That one was a real monster.

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Leader
Learned Scribe

USA
337 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2003 :  20:24:16  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Leader's Homepage Send Cult_Leader a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

I notice that you still aren't talking about the largest size again -- the Scottish two-handed claymore. That one was a real monster.

Yes bookwyrm but take this into fact. The person who actually statred talking about duel weilding them never said if he was talking about irish or scottish ... There for it was Claymores in gen. So once again .. remember there are more then one form of claymore. Not only to say that but the fact that the scottish claymore didnt cut .. it smashed... and .. it was really a stabbing form of sword... not cut through flesh like on brave heart .. while the irish one was slashing and stabbing .. making it possible to use for duel weilding.

Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2003 :  03:51:36  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cult_Leader

quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

Yes bookwyrm but take this into fact. The person who actually statred talking about duel weilding them never said if he was talking about irish or scottish ... There for it was Claymores in gen. So once again .. remember there are more then one form of claymore. Not only to say that but the fact that the scottish claymore didnt cut .. it smashed... and .. it was really a stabbing form of sword... not cut through flesh like on brave heart .. while the irish one was slashing and stabbing .. making it possible to use for duel weilding.

OK Cult Leader. If you were reading carefully you would see that for people that know history I stated VERY CLEARLY what kind of claymore I was talking about. The two handed Claymore of the Scottish Highland Clans (the one William Wallace used in the 1200's). The image that comes to mind when one thinks of a claymore. The english NEVER had a claymore. The claymore you are probably relating to the english is the 19th century claymore (maybe earlier) that the HIGHLAND clans adopted along with the Tartan and the Kilt as we now know it. IT had a red basket hilt, and was more like a broadsword.

Now cult, because you OWN a claymore does not mean you know anything about them. Do you fight in backyards? That is impressive, but I am a medieval re-enactor and I assure you I have used MANY of these weapons, both in its steel form, and in SCA replica. Owning a claymore will tell you nothing. Museum Replicas sells one for about 300 dollars with an inacurate balance, and a shody design for Dueling. A replica tells you NOTHING about the weapon. I have worked with the Lochaber Highland Re-enactors in Fort William Scotland, and I do assure you are correct Claymores are not as heavy as people think. They are also much faster than one would think because of the handle length. The only reason a claymore can be used effectively is because on the length of its handle. The claymore was not a cutting weapon, but its momentum often sundered limbs. THis is the point of balance I was talking about. If you OWN the claymore check to see where the point of balance is. If it is a REAL claymore, you will find in about 1/3 of the way up the blade from the hilt. I have two claymores. One is from Museum Replicas and it is a JOKE. The other was made by Allister at the HIGHLAND CLAN CENTER in Fort Augustus, Scotland. This balance is well perfect. He has studied the art for a long time, and sells many of his weapons to the professional re-enactors, Like the Lochaber re-enactors. Incidentally you can see the Lochaber re-enactors in action because they were the guys that did the ANCIENT WARRIORS series for the history channel.

I'm sorry to respond this way cult leader, but it seems you understood nothing aboiut what I was saying in my post above. I was talking about the center of balance of two handed swords. I was not going into all the technicalities. THe centre of balance for a CLaymore is OBVIOUSLY very different from the center of balance for the FLAMBERGE. I assure you that the Claymore of the 13th century highland scots COULD NOT be used in the Florentine style. For one the handle is too long and would interfere with the snap or wrap, and the center of balance is too awkward. That is why, as you said above, it is not effective as a one handed weapon. YES you could duel wield the IRISH claymore, but please keep in mind there are no REAL recorded historical accounts of warriors fighting with two-weapons. There is ONE account of an Irishmen picking up a sword of a fallen comrade in desperation, but generally the duel wield did not come into play until 17th century florentine fighters developed the Rapier/Main-Gauche. But you are correct. Most two handed weapons are used to SUnder and not cut. Still D&D has them listed as slashing weapons so I use them as such in the game.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...

Edited by - Mournblade on 05 May 2003 04:01:41
Go to Top of Page

branmakmuffin
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2003 :  04:26:09  Show Profile  Visit branmakmuffin's Homepage Send branmakmuffin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And the Claymores used in Viet Nam, what about them?

The sword Liam Neeson used in "Rob Roy" was a Claymore of its day, right? I remember someone in the film talking about the superiority of the Claymore over something else, probably that wimpy sword Tim Roth's character used. I really can't recall what Mel Gibson's looked like.

I'm going to cede the practical knowledge to you, mournblade, but I'm going to propose something. If I'm right, OK. If I'm wrong, OK, too.

I would think dual-weapon style coincided roughly with the invention of firearms, which led to not so much armor, which led to not so much need to penetrate armor, which led to lighter weapons, which led to having weapons light and balanced enough to dual wield. In addition to the Florentine style, wasn't there later a Spanish style of dual weapon fighting?

If you had asked me before if I thought European knights ever used two weapons at the same time, I'd have said, "I'm not an expert, but I wouldn't think so".

Dual weapons were cool in RPGs before Drizzt. Makes you seem more like a swashbuckler.

Edited by - branmakmuffin on 05 May 2003 04:26:52
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2003 :  05:24:37  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by branmakmuffin

And the Claymores used in Viet Nam, what about them?

The sword Liam Neeson used in "Rob Roy" was a Claymore of its day, right? I remember someone in the film talking about the superiority of the Claymore over something else, probably that wimpy sword Tim Roth's character used. I really can't recall what Mel Gibson's looked like.

You are absolutely correct Bran. That was the Claymore that I mistakenly referred to as the 19th century claymore. I was wrong because it was definitely used in the 1700's. Dual weapons certainly came into being when armour lost its practically thanks to firearms.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000