Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Writings on Sharess: Thoughts and Prayers
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2009 :  07:01:53  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I understood that but I was specifically referring to her portfolios, which are listed in Powers and Pantheons and that portfolio is cats, which, to me, should actually be felines.

I realize the text about her says felines but her portfolios do not and thus, it's bothered me on and off all day and over the years. :)

This is only my opinion as a pagan who worships Bastet in real life. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 24 May 2009 07:07:12
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2009 :  07:10:20  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My compliments on the Hogfather refrence, Wooly.
I do know the history of Sharess. I was wondering about 4e, whether she was still the goddess (exarch, actually) of pleasure, or just reduced to cats.
I just feel it's stupid to have a goddess specifically for cats. Becuase that raises the question: WHat about [insert animal name here]? WHy don't they have a god/dess?
In Ancient Egypt, cats were considered divine, almost gods. It makes sense to have a goddess who's responsible for them. But in FR, there's not much point in it, if you know that cats aren't divine. Even if they brought their culture over, it's hard to see them continuing to worship cats. But cats do tie in with pleasure, and it would make sense for Sharess as a goddess of pleasure to be a goddess of cats. Kind of like how each greek god had an animal and tree sacred to them.

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions – just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."

Edited by - Menelvagor on 24 May 2009 07:11:53
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2009 :  07:21:35  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

I understood that but I was specifically referring to her portfolios, which are listed in Powers and Pantheons and that portfolio is cats, which, to me, should actually be felines.

I realize the text about her says felines but her portfolios do not and thus, it's bothered me on and off all day and over the years. :)
Heh. 'Tis why I changed her portfolio in my Realms. Bast/Bastet/Sharess has the portfolio of Felines -- to more appropriately represent the mythological concept of the deity herself.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2009 :  07:24:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Menelvagor

In Ancient Egypt, cats were considered divine, almost gods. It makes sense to have a goddess who's responsible for them. But in FR, there's not much point in it, if you know that cats aren't divine. Even if they brought their culture over, it's hard to see them continuing to worship cats.
I disagree. The Mulan are derived from, among others, ancient Egyptian cultures here on Earth. There's every reason to assume that they've incorporated much of their older cultural elements into their new society here in the Realms. They're not going to shy away from their inherent reverence for felines just because they've travelled to another world. It's an important part of the mythological/religious practice. And it always will be, so long as Bast/Bastet/Sharess remains an active power on Toril.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2009 :  07:56:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

My compliments on the Hogfather refrence, Wooly.

I've never gotten into the Discworld books... I made the mistake of trusting one of my friends who said I could jump in anywhere -- and then he and everyone else told me I picked on of the worst books for just jumping in.

So any Hogfather references were purely unintentional.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2009 :  08:14:29  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Heh. 'Tis why I changed her portfolio in my Realms. Bast/Bastet/Sharess has the portfolio of Felines -- to more appropriately represent the mythological concept of the deity herself.

Nod nod. :) Thats all I was trying to say, basically. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2009 :  10:36:17  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure, Sage. I just have a problem with seeing Sharess as only having a 'cats', or even 'felines', portfolio. I'm just pointing out that in 4e, it makes no sense, because she's not even a goddess by herself, but seems to be an Exarch of Sune. That's why I wanted someone who had the FRCG, and could tell me that my memory was mistaken, and cats was not her only portfolio.

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2009 :  14:59:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm not sure, Sage. I just have a problem with seeing Sharess as only having a 'cats', or even 'felines', portfolio. I'm just pointing out that in 4e, it makes no sense, because she's not even a goddess by herself, but seems to be an Exarch of Sune. That's why I wanted someone who had the FRCG, and could tell me that my memory was mistaken, and cats was not her only portfolio.

Every deity/exarch listed in the FRCG only has one portfolio. And almost all of those are summed up in just one word -- on the two-page listing of all the pantheons, only four deities have portfolios with more than one word, and of those, three of them are two words.

Even if you ignore the whole exarch/"these two gods are really the same one!"/divine nerfing crap, that is still a gross oversimplification. They dumbed things down to the point some of it simply doesn't make sense.

Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2009 :  19:13:37  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert :
Even if you ignore the whole exarch/"these two gods are really the same one!"/divine nerfing crap, that is still a gross oversimplification. They dumbed things down to the point some of it simply doesn't make sense.

quote:
I just feel it's stupid to have a goddess specifically for cats. Becuase that raises the question: WHat about [insert animal name here]? WHy don't they have a god/dess?

Indeed. That is what I tried to point out in my quoted post.

Edited by - Menelvagor on 24 May 2009 19:16:14
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2009 :  01:25:28  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Indeed. That is what I tried to point out in my quoted post.
Well, we should consider that not all other animals, like felines, have the same kind of ancient world reverence in cultures that have been transposed to the Realms. There are other examples, of course, like birds for example. But that could *easily* be explained as being covered by any deities with portfolios dedicated to nature.

Go to Top of Page

xaviera
Learned Scribe

Canada
149 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2009 :  14:48:10  Show Profile  Visit xaviera's Homepage Send xaviera a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does anyone feel that there's anything else I should add to this thread, or that they would like to see about Sharessan thought or practice? I have some notes that I could use as a basis for a short page on 'Authority', but they would overlap with the material presented in 'On Domination' so I don't know that it's worth the trouble. Anything else would be pretty much off the top of my head as I've largely mined out my previously-posted material for topics that aren't specific to the campaign in which I play. I would like to post some more hymns, but they're a bit more work to come up with.

A sexy young lady Sharessin
Was accosted one day whilst undressin'
She said "I'm a virgin
But since you are urgin'
I'll happily give you my blessin'!"

Writings on Sharess: Thoughts & Prayers by Xaviera ~ High Priestess of Sharess
Go to Top of Page

MrHedgehog
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2009 :  09:24:50  Show Profile  Visit MrHedgehog's Homepage Send MrHedgehog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I beleive cats are one of the more important animals t humans. Even if a deity's portfolio was "just" cats, I'd think that would be very important to a lot of people! Cats are important to people for a reason - to keep away vermin and therefore also disease/famine. Think of all the crazy cat ladies in the real world...
Go to Top of Page

belgarathmth
Acolyte

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2009 :  23:20:41  Show Profile  Visit belgarathmth's Homepage Send belgarathmth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is a short essay I posted in an older forum. I thought it might get more reads and/or replies here, since there is more recent posting here.

1)On the subject of whether Sune or Sharess is more properly to be worshipped as the goddess of love/sex, I would remind everyone that Sune rescued Sharess from Shar during the Time of Troubles. That's how she got her name changed from Bast. And that makes Sharess a sub-deity to Sune, IMO, so there is no real need to contrast them or choose between them. Sharess made an eternal divine alliance with Selune/Sune/Llira/Milil after this important rescue. (See Sharess' Wiki)

2)On Sharess' portfolio: people keep automatically associating 'hedonism' and 'pleasure' with 'sex'. Hedonism and pleasure include much more than that. Eating, drinking, and being surrounded by comfortable materials (clothing and furniture - leather, silk, beautiful art and colors) i.e. everything gold can buy, including gold itself, come to mind. It's no accident that Sune (or was it Llira?) took over Waukeen's portfolio when she was thought dead.

If you want to really understand Sharess, just think of cats. Sure, they enjoy cuddling and sex, and they seek it out, but they also enjoy food and sleeping, probably even more than sex. A fat, sleeping cat is a happy cat.

I really think Sharess' true holy symbol should be a silouhette of a cat, not red lips.

Thank you, Xaviera, for your gift to Sharessin everywhere. We desperately needed someone to create a liturgy and to add some holiness and divine light to our creed.

I also appreciate and admire your sections on philosophy. Some of it is a bit too romanticized for my taste - the cat often derives pleasure from extreme cruelty and violence, and any philosophy of Sharessism is incomplete without facing these tendencies. But I still think you've done a most excellent job of creating, at the least, a starting point for future discussions of Sharessin philosophy.

I think the closest real-life philosopher to our own would be Epicurus. Thoughts, anyone?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this."

"Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this."

Edited by - belgarathmth on 05 Jun 2009 23:56:25
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2009 :  23:52:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by belgarathmth

It's no accident that Sune (or was it Llira?) took over Waukeen's portfolio when she was thought dead.

Waukeen handed her portfolios to Lliira. She did so voluntarily, as part of a plot to circumvent Ao and return to the Outer Planes, during the Time of Troubles.

Go to Top of Page

belgarathmth
Acolyte

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2009 :  23:57:28  Show Profile  Visit belgarathmth's Homepage Send belgarathmth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Wooly.

I stand corrected.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2009 :  01:46:30  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

It's no accident that Sune (or was it Llira?) took over Waukeen's portfolio when she was thought dead.

Waukeen handed her portfolios to Lliira. She did so voluntarily, as part of a plot to circumvent Ao and return to the Outer Planes, during the Time of Troubles.
And 'tis noted in the entry for Lliira in Faiths & Avatars.

Go to Top of Page

xaviera
Learned Scribe

Canada
149 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2009 :  11:54:42  Show Profile  Visit xaviera's Homepage Send xaviera a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
2) On Sharess' portfolio: people keep automatically associating 'hedonism' and 'pleasure' with 'sex'. Hedonism and pleasure include much more than that. Eating, drinking, and being surrounded by comfortable materials (clothing and furniture - leather, silk, beautiful art and colors)
That's pretty much what I've tried to emphasize. It's important to get Sharess out of the gutter and onto the couch.

P&P states: "She enjoys sumptuous jewelry, gourmet foods, and things of beauty and may grant a boon to anyone who sacrifices such things to her" so in this sense she is also a goddess of beauty like Sune (or at least the appreciation of beauty, which is partly sensory).

quote:
the cat often derives pleasure from extreme cruelty and violence, and any philosophy of Sharessism is incomplete without facing these tendencies.
A good point. After all, the 'true' Sharessin is about experiencing all sensations. Anger and violence could well be part of that, which may explain why some slide back toward Shar and even why Sharess doesn't do much about those who do. As much as she guards her independence from Shar, she probably recognizes those tendencies in herself as much as she recognizes her connection to Sune and Hanali.

I think the concept of freedom of action, however, evolves from the basic dogma, as I pointed out in 'Commandments', so that actions against an unwilling person would be inappropriate. The concept of 'consenting adults' would be important in Sharessin practices, in that if two (or more!) people want to do it, why not? Orgies and BDSM games would therefore be acceptable to at least some mainstream Sharessin.

The issues of freedom and excess also play off against one another. I expect that those Sharessin who prefer to focus on excesses in general and darker emotions/lusts in particular may be those more likely to end up as closet Sharrans as excess is a 'slippery slope'.

quote:
I think the closest real-life philosopher to our own would be Epicurus.
Indeed.

Go to Top of Page

belgarathmth
Acolyte

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2009 :  17:14:45  Show Profile  Visit belgarathmth's Homepage Send belgarathmth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you for replying, Xaviera. I marvel at your intelligence and wisdom.

I need to study your section 'on Domination' a bit more closely. I think you also address feline nature's darker side (toys with prey, loves to stalk and hunt even if not hungry, etc.) in that essay.

Edit - okay, I reread the section. Some thoughts:

1) I agree strongly about animal summoning. The thought of a priestess or priest who is supposedly devoted to the worship of nature, animals, or an animal, summoning live individuals and forcing them to fight has always bothered my conscience as a player of animal domain clerics and druids.

One way some people get around this issue is to imagine that summoned animals are not real, flesh and blood animals. They are imagined to be either spirit animals who fade away like ghosts when they run out of hit points, or else they are imagined to run away at low hit points instead of actually dying.

2)The hand-wringing about the existence of slavery as an institution in many of the city-states and churches of the Forgotten Realms may arise from a back-reading of current day real-life political and ethical thought into an earlier historical epoch where such thinking might not be appropriate. But that doesn't mean we can't roleplay a political movement that would end slavery in the Forgotten Realms just as we ended it in the real world.

I play Forgotten Realms games in order to imagine and roleplay an alternate world, one in which I might actually enjoy living , so I can't be happy in a world where slavery exists. I'm sure my character, granted all these divine powers and fighting skills that we're imagining he has, would actively fight against it, at least where he thought he could without wasting his life.

At first blush, one would think that Sharessin would be indifferent to such weighty matters, but I like the idea presented here that Sharess is an evolving deity with an evolving religion.

We Sharessin could actually wind up surprising everybody with our contributions to the world. Our tendency toward self-interest (some would say selfishness - Helmites, you know who you are) can become an enlightened self-interest, perhaps, that winds up helping others enjoy more pleasure in their own lives.

Edited by - belgarathmth on 06 Jun 2009 17:48:11
Go to Top of Page

rjfras
Learned Scribe

261 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2009 :  17:44:10  Show Profile  Visit rjfras's Homepage Send rjfras a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps she had to give up the other felines due to the "laws" the deities have to follow such as "No two beings within the same pantheon may hold the same concept in their portfolios."

I don't know what Nobanion held before Sharress showed up, but right now he holds lions and feline beasts. Did he hold cats before too? Perhaps she had to give up the other felines?
Go to Top of Page

xaviera
Learned Scribe

Canada
149 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2009 :  14:47:07  Show Profile  Visit xaviera's Homepage Send xaviera a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
2)The hand-wringing about the existence of slavery as an institution in many of the city-states and churches of the Forgotten Realms may arise from a back-reading of current day real-life political and ethical thought into an earlier historical epoch where such thinking might not be appropriate.
I absolutely agree and I confess to being guilty of this. On the other hand, I think it follows from my initial premises - at least the way I have interpreted Sharess. Obviously slavery exists in FR and I think that the way I have acknowledged that makes sense without requiring Sharessin to overturn the society. I honestly can't see followers of Bast rising up to take over Mulhorand (plot hook, anyone? ). I expect that societies in which slavery is present might, however, be more susceptible to manipulation by evil forces (e.g. Set) and that Sharessin in those societies might be more likely to lean toward Shar.
quote:
We Sharessin could actually wind up surprising everybody with our contributions to the world. Our tendency toward self-interest (some would say selfishness - Helmites, you know who you are) can become an enlightened self-interest, perhaps, that winds up helping others enjoy more pleasure in their own lives.
I think that Sharessin can range from the stereotyped self-absorbed hedonist all the way through to social activist. I have in mind a sort of 'irrational self-interest' (I hear Ayn Rand spinning in her grave) in which helping others to be happy contributes to one's own happiness, directly or otherwise. Nevertheless, I've tried to stay consistent with the 'self' part by saying (in passing, at least) that a Sharessin should first look out for number one. By also saying that one should not be held hostage to another's feelings, I've tried to acknowledge that other people bear responsibility for their own actions and state of mind as well and that all have the freedom to act as they wish (within the limit of likewise respecting others' freedom). Thus, a Sharessin should encourage others to be happy but is not obligated to bend over backwards (unless she wants to... )

Go to Top of Page

xaviera
Learned Scribe

Canada
149 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2009 :  04:47:36  Show Profile  Visit xaviera's Homepage Send xaviera a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Idol of Sharess

As I look into my lover's eyes and gaze upon her face
My breath comes faster and my heartbeat quickens in its pace.
As I sit beside her feet and as I look to her above
I realize how very much my heart is filled with love.

She's the one I'll always look to and in her I place my trust.
Her beauty is divine and I am burning up with lust.
The thought of her sweet kisses cause my veins to run with fire;
I dream of silk caresses that inflame me with desire.

More than any in this world I feel that I am truly bless'd
To gaze upon those sultry curves, the fullness of her breasts.
But though her body makes me shiver and my passions rise
This is not the sum of what endears her to my eyes.

She glows with wisdom and with love for all that's well and good -
Like flowers drinking sunshine, she is all I need for food.
She inspires me to follow, living life as best I may -
She is the moon to light my nights, the sun to guide my way.

Forever shall I bend my knee and offer mind and heart,
And though I may not touch her I don't ever wish to part.
Perhaps my deepest love for her shall e'er be unrequited
But so long as I sit here I will always be delighted.

I kneel to kiss her feet and feel the coolness on my lips,
I reach out with my hand to touch unyielding finger tips.
More than anything, it's true, I sorely yearn for her caress,
But it can't be, for she is stone - the idol of Sharess.

~ Xaviera

Edited by - xaviera on 06 Jul 2009 20:53:36
Go to Top of Page

xaviera
Learned Scribe

Canada
149 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2009 :  23:45:18  Show Profile  Visit xaviera's Homepage Send xaviera a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"The War-Chant of the Sharessin" (so-called)*

(sung to the accompaniment of finger cymbals and tambourines with much shouting, laughing and waving of silk scarves)

Sharessan friends, attend my words
Gather round and heed my call
Far and near, we shall be heard
Rapture's Queen will bless us all

Let them see us dance and pray
Show how we praise Her wondrous beauty
Get out and live your life Her way
For love we do it, not for duty

Jump right up now! Do not tarry!
Vanquish evil fiends and devils
Come all ye and let's make merry
Banish cares! Attend the revels!

Feel the thrill and join the game
Cant be meek and cant be modest
We'll bless you in Sharess's name
And introduce you to our Goddess

~ Xaviera

* Students of poesy will note the archaic a--b c--d a--b c--d pattern within each verse wherein the first and last syllables of each line rhyme with their counterparts in the following couplet

Edited by - xaviera on 15 Jul 2009 02:12:47
Go to Top of Page

xaviera
Learned Scribe

Canada
149 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2009 :  23:44:38  Show Profile  Visit xaviera's Homepage Send xaviera a Private Message  Reply with Quote
(bumped by minor edits)

Added "Litany of Invocation in moments of passion" in section 2.

Edited by - xaviera on 07 Jul 2009 23:45:43
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2009 :  01:13:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh. I'm actually going to be using the "Litany" this weekend, to flesh out part of a Sharess-based quest I've got the PCs crawling through. I've had to tinker and tweak with the text somewhat, to reflect some of the changes I've personally made to Sharess in my Realms.

Go to Top of Page

xaviera
Learned Scribe

Canada
149 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2009 :  05:34:24  Show Profile  Visit xaviera's Homepage Send xaviera a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A Song for the Temple

O my Princess, my most holy divine Lover
Let this, Your house, stand firm and keep us safe
May Your touch on this cold marble bless it
May those within it feel the warmth of Your sweet breath

I pray that all who see it here remember
That Your presence lingers here for all of time
May it offer peace and welcome in the darkness
Protecting all within from bitter rime

I beg of You that You will never leave me
That the light you give the world is ne'er extinguished
You shone in darkest corners of my soul
Sent me reason, gave me purpose, banished anguish

You give life meaning, offer us Your comfort
And teach us all there is about the world
I beseech you, Goddess, do not go from me
But should the world grow dark, Your house endures

May it hold You as a mother keeps her child
Sheltering Your essence from the storm
And if, O horrors, this last refuge crumbles
I give myself to You with open arms

Let me, Lady, hold You to my breast
Let me cup within my hands Your divine light
For without You the world would lie in ruins
And there would be no pleasure in the night

Let me guard Your sacred love within me
To Your beauty may my last breath hearken
That at my own sad end there still remains
A tiny spark of love left in the darkness

~ Xaviera

Edited by - xaviera on 12 Apr 2010 05:24:44
Go to Top of Page

xaviera
Learned Scribe

Canada
149 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2009 :  02:11:06  Show Profile  Visit xaviera's Homepage Send xaviera a Private Message  Reply with Quote
(just another edit, dagnabbit, this time to the "War-Chant")

Go to Top of Page

xaviera
Learned Scribe

Canada
149 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2009 :  04:33:54  Show Profile  Visit xaviera's Homepage Send xaviera a Private Message  Reply with Quote
2d. Funerary Ceremony

This rite blesses the dead and equips them for the journey to Rapture. As always, the Priestess must be ritually cleansed by bathing beforehand as per the prescribed ritual.

The body of the deceased itself is washed with perfumed water and anointed with holy oils, then dressed in a white linen shift and laid upon a bier. Incense is lit, music is played (either by a person or a wind-driven music box or chimes) and wine is made available to all who are in attendance.

Next to the body, on the side toward the congregation, shall be placed a lit sacred candle in a holder, a thurible, a silver or crystal bell, and a cup of holy wine.

When all are gathered, the Priestess approaches and bows to the deceased, then to the attendees. She takes her place behind the bier and faces the audience.

She spends some moments to remember the one who has passed on, their work and accomplishments, their family, friends and lovers, and their contributions to the Temple. Any who wish may also speak of the deceased and in particular of how they enjoyed life or made it more enjoyable for others in accordance with the doctrine of Sharess.

When all who wish to do so have spoken, the Priestess speaks the Prayer for the Dead, as follows:

"O Divine Sharess. We come before You this day to offer unto You the body and soul of Your servant, [Name], who has served You faithfully and well these many years.

"S/he has shown by example the beauty of Your way and the truth of Your most holy teachings, and has urged others to honour and worship You with the same dedication, notably [here may follow, if desired, a list of those brought to knowledge of the Goddess through the actions of the deceased]."

"Though this cold flesh, once animated by joy and lust for living and by the heat of life's passions, may no longer join with us in the Revels that we celebrate each day, we rejoice in the thought that s/he will now come unto You in Rapture and there serve you in death as s/he did in life."

The Priestess lifts up the bell.

"[Name], you have heard the words of Sharess from those whose task it is to convey them, and you have spoken with the Goddess in your dreams and prayers. Though our voices can no longer bring you pleasure, we pray that the song of the Goddess Herself will henceforth fill your ears."

She rings the bell three times before setting it at the side of the corpse, then raises the candle above the body.

"[Name], let this light guide you through the Beyond as the words of Sharess have guided you each day upon this earth. Keep this light before you that your soul may come safely unto the realm of Brightwater in Arvandor."

The Priestess lights a censer with the candle, then places the latter in its holder at the head of the deceased and raises the thurible to cense the corpse.

"[Name], let the pleasant perfumes of Rapture draw you thereunto, and may the bliss thereof surround you for ever more."

The Priestess places the censer at the foot of the body and raises the chalice of wine, passing it through the smoke before raising it on high.

"[Name], though the sweet tastes of this life are now faded, go ye forward and sip the blessed wine of the Evergold and be renewed eternally therefrom as was our Goddess Herself.

The Priestess dips her finger in the wine and touches it to the lips of the deceased, then drinks from the cup in his/her honour.

"[Name], it is with heavy hearts that we bid you farewell. You leave us with your memory and with the pleasure of having known you. All that you have done has changed us and made us who we are, and for that we thank you and the Goddess in Her wisdom for having made it possible to be so touched by you. Take this last gift of ours and carry it with you in loving memory of your existence, that you may add your experiences to the totality of Rapture until it is our time to follow you and meet with you once again in the embrace of the Blessed Sharess."

The Priestess embraces the body of the deceased and kisses it upon the forehead or the hand or the mouth. She then bows her head in silent prayer for a moment before leading the congregation in the Song of Praise.

The body is then raised from the bier by the mourners and taken to the pyre and burnt. Where such is practiced, the Firedance spell may be used. If not, the body shall be interred or entombed as appropriate and as local authorities permit.

Edited by - xaviera on 21 Feb 2010 04:05:36
Go to Top of Page

belgarathmth
Acolyte

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2009 :  23:47:31  Show Profile  Visit belgarathmth's Homepage Send belgarathmth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What a beautifully written funeral ceremony, Xaviera. The liturgical compositions and essays here are very inspirational. Sometimes I come and reread everything here just for a lift to my spirits.

While I do not believe literally in the existence of a fictional deity in real life, I think what you write about the fictional Sharess is actually quite spiritually inspiring and very in tune with real life Divinity as I understand it.

Thank you.

Go to Top of Page

xaviera
Learned Scribe

Canada
149 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2009 :  18:59:37  Show Profile  Visit xaviera's Homepage Send xaviera a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Song of Joy.

In the warmth of the sun with my children I'm playing
In the silence of night with my lover I'm laying
In the movement of dance while my body is swaying
In the arms of my Goddess to whom I am praying
In all of these things I am joyfully saying
It’s Sharess that I love and my heart I’m obeying

Edited by - xaviera on 01 Sep 2009 19:56:17
Go to Top of Page

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2009 :  17:22:30  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks you for posting this here, Xaviera! I like Sharess myself, and it's always a delight to read some new Realms information that's this well done.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000