Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 Ed Greenwood column and monthly Realms articles
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2009 :  16:14:01  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Interesting posts from two members of the WotC "Chris Brigade."

Christopher Perkins confirms ongoing monthly Realms articles in the DDI magazines, and even groovier, announces a new Ed Greenwood column. Link.

Magazines editor Chris Youngs announces changes to how content is organized within Dragon and Dungeon, more clearly defining them as the player's and the DM's magazines, respectively. Link.

Mod Edit: Shifted to a more appropriate shelf.

Author Edit: Had the magazine focus attributions swapped--fixed that and added a comma. Commas add clarity! --cvr

My Realms novel, Sandstorm, is now available for ordering.

Edited by - Christopher_Rowe on 02 May 2009 16:38:51

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2009 :  16:33:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm definitely interested in the Ed-lore. In fact, this might just be enough reason for me to purchase a subscription.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2009 :  17:45:48  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
this most excellent. I was also reading on DDI last night that they are changing up Dungeon to be even more DM specific and Dragon to be more Player specific. interesting take on it, as long as both mags remain available for the price I pay. I always welcome more realmslore. An Ed column of course is even better.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2009 :  18:26:51  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting...

Still not enough for me to become a fan of 4e by any stretch, but it has shifted my position slightly in that direction. I'll have to actually see things happening, and not just listen to announcements - we all know how well WotC keeps to their 'plans'.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2009 :  22:02:17  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tis truly a step in the right direction. Thanks for starting this scroll CR.

BRIMSTONE

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2009 :  00:49:43  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just to keep things neat and tidy, we've a bit from the Lady Hooded One on Ed's upcoming column in DRAGON:-

"I'm thinking Ed would regard it as less than professional to let slip much of anything about the new column unless Wizards gives him permission to do so. It's my strong suspicion that Gontal, whether or not it's based on Ed's writing or uses the Ed Gontal writeup trimmed from the Campaign Guide for space reasons, probably won't be part of the column. Unless the DRAGON editorship makes it so, of course."

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2009 :  02:35:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

In fact, this might just be enough reason for me to purchase a subscription.

I'm iffy on that, myself... I want the Ed-lore, no doubt about it. But I still object to paying for everything, when I only want a small part.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Amarel Derakanor
Seeker

97 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2009 :  11:08:30  Show Profile Send Amarel Derakanor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As much as I love any lore from Mr. Greenwood, I wouldn't give a penny to those greedy Zhentarim Wizards. By matter of principle, that is.
Go to Top of Page

arry
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
317 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2009 :  12:05:29  Show Profile Send arry a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll wait and see what the lore is about, how much there is of it and when it actually comes out before I make any decision.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2009 :  12:25:51  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

In fact, this might just be enough reason for me to purchase a subscription.

I'm iffy on that, myself... I want the Ed-lore, no doubt about it. But I still object to paying for everything, when I only want a small part.

Aye.

This is a mindset similar to my own. But looking over the ToC for some of the more recent issues, I see a lot of new EBERRON material. And a number of new "Demonomicon" write-ups that could possibly sway me further.

We'll see.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2009 :  16:36:12  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by arry

I'll wait and see what the lore is about, how much there is of it and when it actually comes out before I make any decision.

This is my stance as well.

I don't mind paying for the DDi, but it has to be worth my while, and that means enough articles to interest me.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2009 :  19:01:47  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

quote:
Originally posted by arry

This is my stance as well.

I don't mind paying for the DDi, but it has to be worth my while, and that means enough articles to interest me.

Even if I had the cash to spare (which I don't...I had to cancel my Pathfinder subscriptions, so fat chance on going DDI) I'd expect the Ed-lore in Dragon will be regarding 4e(vil) Realms and thus not worth my while.

If it were somehow possible to initiate a patron-based lore "subscription" like Wolfgang Baur does, with us (the patrons) paying for lore we want to read, hell yes, but this ... sorry... you know my stance on what happened to the Realms...

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2009 :  19:09:44  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

I'd expect the Ed-lore in Dragon will be regarding 4e(vil) Realms and thus not worth my while.

4e(vil) - Okay, thats a new one on me.

Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2009 :  20:49:11  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

I'd expect the Ed-lore in Dragon will be regarding 4e(vil) Realms and thus not worth my while.

4e(vil) - Okay, thats a new one on me.

You don't read my LJ often, do ya?

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2009 :  08:21:33  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will firstly say that what WoTC says they are going to do with Dragon/Dungeon and what they actually do are two very, very different things.

Secondly, more Ed Greenwood articles sound nice. I'll wait till the first one is out before passing judgement.
Go to Top of Page

Barshevy
Learned Scribe

275 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2009 :  08:34:22  Show Profile  Visit Barshevy's Homepage Send Barshevy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Much more inclined to support Paizo.

The Search for Morn * Combat Spreadsheet * Combat Map *
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2009 :  16:32:57  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since the digital illusions of our favorite mags purpose is to pimp and enhance the new edition of D&D (and its abominable facsimile of the Realms), I see no reason to subscribe to it. Also, once again it seems to be a matter of "too late." Now that we have drifted away from WotC, they are trying to get us back. But the damage is done, and there is little the can do to repair it short of giving the FR IP back to Ed so he can fix it (for me anyway). Endearment for a company you love becomes hatred all that more bitter after you feel betrayed by them.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)

Edited by - Hawkins on 05 May 2009 16:34:06
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2009 :  17:27:27  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As much as I like to deny it, deep down the optimist in me is still holding out hope that somehew all will be 'right again'.

I'm just glad the pessimist in me has control of the decision-making.

I will admit that new lore about the old Realms might sway me to come back, but lore about the new Realms will only further my distaste, no matter who it is written by. I fell in love with Faerūn in 14th cetury, not the 15th, and everything that drew me to the setting in the first place has been abandoned or destroyed.

Edited by - Markustay on 05 May 2009 17:28:20
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2009 :  17:41:02  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm definitely interested in the Ed-lore. In fact, this might just be enough reason for me to purchase a subscription.

Right. This *might* finally cause me to sign up. Perhaps.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 05 May 2009 18:03:23
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000