Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 The Search for Randal Morn - Discussion
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 25

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2009 :  23:01:17  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just so everyone knows, I'm definitely going with a rock gnome tunnelrat (thief kit)/illusionist, originally from the Great Rift. I don't usually play thieves, and my mages tend to be blasters, so this will be a fun departure for me in a lot of ways.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Ghost King
Learned Scribe

USA
253 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2009 :  01:22:01  Show Profile  Visit Ghost King's Homepage Send Ghost King a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm interested in playing 2nd edition if there is still a free spot open to play. Never played a PbP or 2nd edition, but I do have the PHB and DMG for 2nd edition I got from a friend a few years back that I haven't had the opportunity to play with. If you don't mind a new player to the system I'd like to give it a shot.

Anyways, I thought I'd ask first before I submit anything.
Go to Top of Page

Barshevy
Learned Scribe

275 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2009 :  03:04:54  Show Profile  Visit Barshevy's Homepage Send Barshevy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No problem, Ghost King. If the party gets too large we'll start another game.

The Search for Morn * Combat Spreadsheet * Combat Map *
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2009 :  03:20:22  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just thought that I'd let everyone know that this will be my first big attempt at a PbP. I tried one over at the Ravenloft site a couple of years ago for Halloween, but I had to leave later that night for my Halloween session of Ravenloft. So if I seem kinda quiet or anything when we first start off, please be patient with me. It'll take a bit for me to get used to how things work on a PbP.

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document

Edited by - Penknight on 12 Apr 2009 03:27:47
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2009 :  03:21:38  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, on character creation, I decided to reroll my character since the first set I rolled were all single digits, except for my uber high '10' that I rolled...

Telethian Phoenix
Go to Top of Page

Barshevy
Learned Scribe

275 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2009 :  03:26:40  Show Profile  Visit Barshevy's Homepage Send Barshevy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Penknight, PBPs can be literally glacial in pacing. One post a day from each player, five days a week (or 5 a week) and I'll be happy. Of course, it can turn out to be much faster paced, with everyone's cooperation.

Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2009 :  03:29:01  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Barshevy

Penknight, PBPs can be literally glacial in pacing. One post a day from each player, five days a week (or 5 a week) and I'll be happy. Of course, it can turn out to be much faster paced, with everyone's cooperation.

Yeah, that's what I've heard about them. We were doing pretty well on the Ravenloft boards, and as I said, but I had to leave to run my Ravenloft campaign. I missed out on a *lot* of stuff. It's a real shame, actually.

Telethian Phoenix

Edited by - Penknight on 12 Apr 2009 03:40:47
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2009 :  03:42:33  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Penknight

quote:

Yeah, that's what I've heard about them. We were doing pretty well on the Ravenloft boards, and as I said, but I had to leave to run my Ravenloft campaign. I missed out on a *lot* of stuff. It's a real shame, actually.

Indeed they can be extremely slow as people who have been in my email games can attest. :)

And I should have my char sheet completed within a day or two once I can sit down and work on mechanics and writing out a longer history now that we've agreed on the short history we've discussed.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Barshevy
Learned Scribe

275 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2009 :  03:46:45  Show Profile  Visit Barshevy's Homepage Send Barshevy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So far these are the gentlemen (and gentlewomen?) who have expressed interest:

Kuje
Ashe
Hoondatha
Tyr
Darkheyr
Penknight
Sian
Ghost King

Kuje, Hoondatha, Penknight have PM'd me their character ideas.

Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2009 :  03:58:17  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:

quote:

Indeed they can be extremely slow as people who have been in my email games can attest. :)

And I should have my char sheet completed within a day or two once I can sit down and work on mechanics and writing out a longer history now that we've agreed on the short history we've discussed.

Oh, that reminds me... does anyone need me to post the 2nd Edition character sheet here for them to use? Or rather, should I mail it to you, Kuje, so you can take care of putting it where it needs to go?

Telethian Phoenix
Go to Top of Page

Barshevy
Learned Scribe

275 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2009 :  04:04:36  Show Profile  Visit Barshevy's Homepage Send Barshevy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That would be of great help.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2009 :  04:29:08  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

]Oh, that reminds me... does anyone need me to post the 2nd Edition character sheet here for them to use? Or rather, should I mail it to you, Kuje, so you can take care of putting it where it needs to go?

I was just going to use the one I had made years ago in Word or if no one has Word then I'll make it into a text file and keep my Word copy for myself :) But thanks for asking....

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2009 :  05:23:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are the campaign logs for this game going to be posted online [perhaps here at Candlekeep]?

Given the period and the characters involved, it sounds like it will be an interesting game.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 12 Apr 2009 05:25:44
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2009 :  05:43:21  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've actually been meaning to ask where we were thinking of hosting this. I wouldn't mind it being mostly public, as long as lurkers merely lurked and didn't post in IC or OOC threads. We could make a special thread for lurkers (The Peanut Gallery, maybe?) to talk amongst themselves, if desired.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Barshevy
Learned Scribe

275 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2009 :  05:59:02  Show Profile  Visit Barshevy's Homepage Send Barshevy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While I'd like to hold the game here on this sub-forum of Candlekeep, we could also hold it on www.rpol.net, which is a free, functional and very reliable pbp board. And the logs would then posted here.

Over on the Paizo board there's never been any problem with lurkers posting on the IC thread. And I guess they could contribute to the OOC thread, if they wished.

Edited by - Barshevy on 12 Apr 2009 06:00:00
Go to Top of Page

Ghost King
Learned Scribe

USA
253 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2009 :  06:04:08  Show Profile  Visit Ghost King's Homepage Send Ghost King a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Either forum is fine with me.
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2009 :  06:36:55  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was kind of hoping for it to be held here, personally. But whatever is fine, I suppose...

Telethian Phoenix
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2009 :  06:39:17  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, and if any of you require a character sheet, please feel free to send me a PM and I can e-mail you the version I have. It's in great shape compared to some of the others that I've seen on different sites.

Telethian Phoenix
Go to Top of Page

Barshevy
Learned Scribe

275 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2009 :  06:40:24  Show Profile  Visit Barshevy's Homepage Send Barshevy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd like to hold it here, myself.

Thanks for the sheet, Penknight.

Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2009 :  07:08:39  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'd like to hold it here, myself.

Thanks for the sheet, Penknight.

Sounds good to me, as it saves us from having to join yet another set of boards for our game. And believe me, my fiend, you are more than welcome. Getting to play 2nd Edition again is like getting a magical item at 1st level for me. It's what I started playing D&D with. And they say you can't go home again!!

Telethian Phoenix
Go to Top of Page

Barshevy
Learned Scribe

275 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2009 :  07:26:34  Show Profile  Visit Barshevy's Homepage Send Barshevy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I feel the same way about 1st edition. But I begin to see how 2nd ed. is the heyday period for FR material ( a time that I was largely absent from roleplaying.)

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2009 :  08:21:49  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Sounds good to me, as it saves us from having to join yet another set of boards for our game. And believe me, my fiend, you are more than welcome. Getting to play 2nd Edition again is like getting a magical item at 1st level for me. It's what I started playing D&D with. And they say you can't go home again!!

Same for me, I'm really glad someone started a 2e game. I haven't played a 2e game, as I said, in almost ten years and I hope this one lasts a awhile because it'll be nice to return to the rule set that I still prefer. :)

Go to Top of Page

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2009 :  08:33:18  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage Send Sian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
well ... i'll take a long look at an character tuesday ... meeting in the local hobby club and i've argeed with one of the old 2e'ers that he takes the gear with him so we can make a character there :)

what happened to the queen? she's much more hysterical than usual
She's a women, it happens once a month
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2009 :  08:50:21  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I feel the same way about 1st edition. But I begin to see how 2nd ed. is the heyday period for FR material ( a time that I was largely absent from roleplaying.)

I agree completely. This *does* seem to be the 'golden age' of Forgotten Realms material. It always seemed to me that things just meshed better in 2nd Edition; and it's also my favorite set of rules, too.

*raises glass*

To a long and fruitful campaign!!

Telethian Phoenix
Go to Top of Page

Barshevy
Learned Scribe

275 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2009 :  09:47:08  Show Profile  Visit Barshevy's Homepage Send Barshevy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hear hear !
Go to Top of Page

Tyr
Learned Scribe

225 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2009 :  18:20:32  Show Profile  Visit Tyr's Homepage Send Tyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, which other edition pretty much had a tomes worth of info on pretty much everything?

Well i thought i'd try something wierd so gonna try for a Wild Mage, who is an escaped Thayvian slave, probably from a Rashemi conflict, who is trying to fast track his latent magical abilities to try and take down the establishment back home. After escaping he made his way east along the coast of the Sea of Fallen Stars, to whichever tavern happens to contain the rest of the party.

Unfortunately this all hinges on hitting the minimum 16 Intelligence, and also nothing goes horribly wrong...
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2009 :  18:40:17  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Too true on the minimum requirements Tyr. I have always loved rangers and sent up a word to Gary & Dave to watch my dice rolls and just got the minimum needed for the class (and the other two Int/Cha came out okay as well).

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Tyr
Learned Scribe

225 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2009 :  19:33:58  Show Profile  Visit Tyr's Homepage Send Tyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yeah, how did you do the dice rolls?

If only CK had a dice roller lol

Edited by - Tyr on 12 Apr 2009 19:34:26
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2009 :  19:57:50  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I did the 4d6 minus the lowest result and then assigned them as Barshevy mentioned.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Tyr
Learned Scribe

225 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2009 :  20:33:16  Show Profile  Visit Tyr's Homepage Send Tyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ok, was wondering about the arranging for someone to watch the dice rolls.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 25 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000