Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 The Search for Randal Morn - Discussion
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 25

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2009 :  04:23:53  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

I ran that one, actually. Years and years ago, but I remember the high points.

I'll get you a character description either later today or tomorrow. I want to play around with some specifics on this tunnelrat idea first before I make a decision. What are other people thinking of playing? (in broad outlines)

I've been looking over my old character ideas I had planned out in 2nd Edition and was thinking about one last go at an elven bladesinger from Evermeet. I'm running one in my campaign as an NPC, but I miss the 'golden age' of the true bladesinger. Ah, the memories...

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document

Edited by - Penknight on 11 Apr 2009 04:26:33
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2009 :  04:30:54  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not quite sure yet on the character yet, have to go over the books this evening and tomorrow morning.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2009 :  05:02:59  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've looked through all the modules since I own all FR material up to 4e. :)

But I was thinking maybe a half-elf but that isn't set in stone depending on what I decide. Beyond that, I was thinking either a bard or maybe a speciality priest from the deity trilogy sourcebooks, if you allow them. I narrowed the speciality priest kits down to either hanali, milil, or oghma. Was really waiting mostly to see what everyone else came up with for chars. :)

Edit: But the Greenforester speciality priest for Sheela, one of the halfling deities, caught my interest but again, mostly kind of waiting to see what classes the others come up with.....

But at least I settled on either a bard or one of those speciality priests, if you allow the priests from the FR deity trilogy.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 11 Apr 2009 05:27:09
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2009 :  05:13:46  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, one last thing... did you want any specifics on character's past? Like fiancees, girlfriends, etc? I always ask my players for specifics on stuff like this, but they always shrug and say, "Whatever, man." I know that such information can sometimes lead to interesting plot twists and hooks.

Also, did you get the PM about my character proposal? I wasn't sure if the error I received about it prevented my message or if it went through. Thanks!

Telethian Phoenix

Edited by - Penknight on 11 Apr 2009 05:21:23
Go to Top of Page

Barshevy
Learned Scribe

275 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2009 :  05:53:01  Show Profile  Visit Barshevy's Homepage Send Barshevy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Penknight

Out of curiosity, if some of us were interested in making a gold elf, would you want us to use the rules for making a grey elf in the Complete Book of Elves or the rules in Elves of Evermeet? I know it may sound like a stupid question, but I've had DMs in the past that differed on their preferences. Thought I should ask.

Elves of Evemeet would be good. I've read through that one.

The Search for Morn * Combat Spreadsheet * Combat Map *
Go to Top of Page

Barshevy
Learned Scribe

275 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2009 :  05:54:53  Show Profile  Visit Barshevy's Homepage Send Barshevy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

But I was thinking maybe a half-elf but that isn't set in stone depending on what I decide. Beyond that, I was thinking either a bard or maybe a speciality priest from the deity trilogy sourcebooks, if you allow them.

Sure.

Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2009 :  06:21:17  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Barshevy, did you get the PM I sent you about my character proposal? Like I said, I wasn't sure if the error didn't let me send it or if it went through to you all right.

Telethian Phoenix
Go to Top of Page

Barshevy
Learned Scribe

275 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2009 :  06:41:10  Show Profile  Visit Barshevy's Homepage Send Barshevy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

I ran that one, actually. Years and years ago, but I remember the high points.

I'll get you a character description either later today or tomorrow. I want to play around with some specifics on this tunnelrat idea first before I make a decision. What are other people thinking of playing? (in broad outlines)

Do you mean Halls of Eveningstar or Doom of Daggerdale?

So far, we have an elven bladesinger.

Go to Top of Page

Barshevy
Learned Scribe

275 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2009 :  06:41:43  Show Profile  Visit Barshevy's Homepage Send Barshevy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Barshevy, did you get the PM I sent you about my character proposal? Like I said, I wasn't sure if the error didn't let me send it or if it went through to you all right.

Got it. Please see my reply.

Go to Top of Page

Barshevy
Learned Scribe

275 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2009 :  06:44:05  Show Profile  Visit Barshevy's Homepage Send Barshevy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, I'd like at least one person play a human PC, if that's OK.

Edited by - Barshevy on 11 Apr 2009 06:44:51
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2009 :  07:00:00  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Barshevy

quote:

Got it. Please see my reply.

Understood. Thanks!!

Telethian Phoenix
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2009 :  07:03:03  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I ran Doom of Daggerdale. I don't think I've more than skimmed Haunted Halls, and that was a few years back. Don't really remember anything about it.

I think I am going to go for a tunnelrat, though I'm having a hard time deciding whether to be a gnome or a halfling, or where he'd be coming from. I need to give it a bit more thought.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2009 :  07:12:33  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting. Seems that the Haunted Halls of Eveningstar is the one furthest from anyone's memory.

Isn't that also one that Mr. Greenwood himself uses as a way of introducing people to the Realms? I know he wrote it and everything, but it seems that I read that somewhere...

Telethian Phoenix
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2009 :  07:22:38  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know it had an extended cameo in Swords of Eveningstar.

Actually, I was misremembering Doom of Daggerdale: I didn't run it, I was a player. It was actually my introduction to the Realms. I was a wizard, and the other player was a fighter with 18/00 strength, a fact he proudly shared with every NPC foolish enough to strike up a conversation with us (hey, we were 10, give us a break).

Of course, that was before we realized the difference between the "Max Spells Known" column under Intelligence and the wizard spells memorized progression table. Which meant I was a 1st level wizard walking around with 18 spells in my spell book and all of them memorized at once. It was an, uh, memorable adventure!

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2009 :  07:46:46  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Also, I'd like at least one person play a human PC, if that's OK.

I suppose if no one else wants to play a human I could think up some human chars....

So, atm, I guess maybe I haven't settled on a char but still thinking a specialty priest or a bard. I'll figure it out though. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Edited by - Kuje on 11 Apr 2009 07:48:00
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2009 :  07:53:11  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice!! My second DM thought that published adventures was just a way for uncreative DMs to run a campaign. He even told me that when I tried to run Return to the Keep on the Borderlands in late '99. Strangely, I believe that his character perished in the adventure. My, isn't that a 'coincidence'!

On a side note, I'm not a super vindictive person. However, when I was running my final 2nd Edition campaign that was set in the Fall of Myth Drannor, the same person and the rest of my players were fighting a group of spiders. I remember that the spiders were going at the initiative rolled, and not modified for size or anything, but he told me to my face that I was an idiot and started rolling his d20 to attack. I stated again (in a strained voice on the edge of my patience) that he wasn't remembering things correctly, and that I was the DM. He then proceeded to tell me that as a 'good DM' it was my job to listen to someone that knew what he was doing, since I obviously didn't. After throwing the Monster Manual at him and telling him to look it up himself, he said, "Wow. You finally got one right. Good job."

That was the last time he played or ran any of the rest of my friends.

Ok, sorry about the complaining there. A *lot* of bitter memories there, I guess. I'm really looking forward to *this* campaign getting the bad memories away from me. I'm especially looking forward to getting to game with Hoondatha and Kuje. I respect a lot of your views on here.

Now I'll be silent and get my stuff ready for stat rolling tomorrow morning...

Telethian Phoenix

Edited by - Penknight on 11 Apr 2009 07:54:24
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2009 :  08:13:18  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, I'll take the human character Kuje. Now to figure out my class...

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Barshevy
Learned Scribe

275 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2009 :  08:15:35  Show Profile  Visit Barshevy's Homepage Send Barshevy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pennight : Wow, what a nice guy!

Anybody read through or play the Randal Morn trilogy (beginning with Sword of the Dales)?

Edited by - Barshevy on 11 Apr 2009 08:16:43
Go to Top of Page

Darkheyr
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2009 :  09:13:50  Show Profile  Visit Darkheyr's Homepage Send Darkheyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I only recently read through the Haunted Halls for my Cormyr campaign, actually. *chuckles*

I was thinking half-elf oder human wizard, but it needs more pondering.

silm.pw - A Neverwinter Nights Persistent World
Go to Top of Page

Tyr
Learned Scribe

225 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2009 :  13:37:39  Show Profile  Visit Tyr's Homepage Send Tyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yeah, i'm searching for downloads of all the old AD&D 2e and FR books, as it seems my old Core Rules 2.0 box is devoid of a CD...and after all the effort it took to acquire years ago.

Anyway, i'm trying to decide either my old fave of a Paladin of Tyr, as the restrictions do add considerable flavor, while toying with the idea of him being an escaped Thayvian slave again for flavour.

Might come up with some more ideas when I get the Core Rules running so I can remember all of the stuff that's in 2e.
Go to Top of Page

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2009 :  14:07:39  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage Send Sian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
sadly haven't played 2e, else i would proberly have joined up :p

what happened to the queen? she's much more hysterical than usual
She's a women, it happens once a month
Go to Top of Page

Barshevy
Learned Scribe

275 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2009 :  14:07:53  Show Profile  Visit Barshevy's Homepage Send Barshevy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, I have a confession to make : I've played but never run 2E. So if you see me making a mistake, don't hesitate to point it out.

Go to Top of Page

Tyr
Learned Scribe

225 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2009 :  14:09:30  Show Profile  Visit Tyr's Homepage Send Tyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
lol, i think given how long its been since most have played we'll be picking things up as we go as much as you will.
Go to Top of Page

Barshevy
Learned Scribe

275 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2009 :  14:21:19  Show Profile  Visit Barshevy's Homepage Send Barshevy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sian

sadly haven't played 2e, else i would proberly have joined up :p

If you want to learn, you're welcome to join.

Go to Top of Page

Barshevy
Learned Scribe

275 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2009 :  14:45:11  Show Profile  Visit Barshevy's Homepage Send Barshevy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tyr

lol, i think given how long its been since most have played we'll be picking things up as we go as much as you will.

That's reassuring :)

Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2009 :  15:38:40  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While rereading the spells section of the PHB, I rediscovered that Armor is actually a conjuration spell. Go figure. So now I'm leaning towards multiclassing as a gnome tunnelrat/illusionist, since the long duration of armor and the mandatory high Dex will serve in lieu of regular armor. It's what the guys over at 3e CharOp would call MAD, though, so I'll need to see how my stat rolls go as to whether I can actually pull it off.

Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2009 :  16:21:48  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Also, I have a confession to make : I've played but never run 2E. So if you see me making a mistake, don't hesitate to point it out.

The key with 2e is that it has LOTS of optional rules, not all of which need to be used. Encumbrance and weapon speeds come instantly to mind, but there are plenty of others. Just let us know which ones you want to use, and which ones we won't be using.

One thing about PbP games is that it's perhaps the only format where the use of weapon speeds is actually feasible. After all, we'll be posting on our own time and likely rolling through a site like Invisible Castle, so if you want us to use weapon speeds, that'd be ok. Of course, since I'm going to be using things like darts and short swords, I'd be coming out ahead with that system...

Also, what are sources for spells? Do we have access to things like the Wizard's Spell Compendium, or is our list more limited?

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2009 :  16:49:59  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

Actually, I'll take the human character Kuje. Now to figure out my class...

Okies. :) Then I'll return to the ideas I was thinking about earlier.

And to Penknight: Woo, thanks for the compliment.

As for the 2e rules, indeed, I haven't ran, or played, in a 2e game in almost a decade ever since 3e came out. So, I'll probably need some refreshers. :)

I was also wondering about the sourcebooks for spells cause I have the compendiums and I've always enjoyed flipping through them.

Edited by - Kuje on 11 Apr 2009 16:53:31
Go to Top of Page

Barshevy
Learned Scribe

275 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2009 :  18:16:33  Show Profile  Visit Barshevy's Homepage Send Barshevy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Use whatever sources you want. If I don't have them, you can post up the rules here.

Go to Top of Page

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2009 :  20:17:46  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage Send Sian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
well ... would be willing to give it a shot ... if i could find any of the old books (ironicly i have no problems unearthing my brothers 1e books :p)

what happened to the queen? she's much more hysterical than usual
She's a women, it happens once a month
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 25 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000