Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Book Club
 Downshadow - Chapter 11 - 19
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2009 :  00:43:10  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met

This is a Book Club thread for Downshadow [Book 3 of "The Ed Greenwood Presents Waterdeep" series], by Erik Scott de Bie. Please discuss Chapters 11 to 19 herein:

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 10 Aug 2010 05:45:02

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2009 :  00:44:51  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Particular fans of a certain infamous Realmsian bard should take particular note of an exchange that happens during chapter 11.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2009 :  16:14:52  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Happy Easter Indeed! There are easter eggs hatching left and right.

The Curious Past, if I could visit only one shop in the realms that would be the one, it could only have been better if you had mentioned who currently is running the joint.

And how Dan would chuckle (or is chuckling?) to be quoted in attempts to impress pleasure lasses and by the lasses themselves!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2009 :  19:58:40  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

Happy Easter Indeed! There are easter eggs hatching left and right.

I hadn't even thought about that coincidental timing. Yay for the hunt!

quote:
The Curious Past, if I could visit only one shop in the realms that would be the one, it could only have been better if you had mentioned who currently is running the joint.

Good question--I left it open for speculation.

quote:
And how Dan would chuckle (or is chuckling?) to be quoted in attempts to impress pleasure lasses and by the lasses themselves!

Elaine herself deserves the credit for those particular lines, which she lent me specifically for that scene. I reasoned it would just be impossible for me (for whom Elfshadow was like the third Realms book read) to NOT give a shout-out to Danilo Thann.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2009 :  04:40:35  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Erik, I would like to order the best-selling books Fox in the Anauroch and Fox among the Uthgardt!

Adulteries of Lady Alustra: A Confessional also sounds quite... interesting.

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2009 :  06:32:29  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@SC: Heh. If *I* ran the Realms, I would definitely transcribe and publish that whole series of chapbooks from Arita's manuscripts (which are on my shelf right now, tragically NDA'd).

For the next best thing, maybe I'll drop the full list of volume titles (which cover a period of about fifty-five years, from 1330-1385):

1. Fox among the Uthgardt (1469)
2. Fox among the Night Masks (1470)
3. Fox against the Lord of Fate (1471)
4. Fox on the Run (1472)
5. Fox among the Dueling Dragons (1475)
6. Fox in the Black Bastion (1476)
7. Fox and the Shrouded Prince (1477)
8. Fox in the Anauroch (1478)
9. Fox and the Blue Fire (forthcoming, 1479)

Cheers

P.S. Back to the chapbooks noted in Downshadow: did you catch all the references among the titles?

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2009 :  04:09:15  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

@SC: Heh. If *I* ran the Realms, I would definitely transcribe and publish that whole series of chapbooks from Arita's manuscripts (which are on my shelf right now, tragically NDA'd).

Wow, how did you get those? Via a Portal? Are you Arita's secret editor?

quote:
For the next best thing, maybe I'll drop the full list of volume titles (which cover a period of about fifty-five years, from 1330-1385):

1. Fox among the Uthgardt (1469)
2. Fox among the Night Masks (1470)
3. Fox against the Lord of Fate (1471)
4. Fox on the Run (1472)
5. Fox among the Dueling Dragons (1475)
6. Fox in the Black Bastion (1476)
7. Fox and the Shrouded Prince (1477)
8. Fox in the Anauroch (1478)
9. Fox and the Blue Fire (forthcoming, 1479)

Nice! So that is why Arita and you have been NDA'd! Due to writing in pre-4e though living in 4e, her success will be limited to the realms...

Who is the Lord of Fate and who is the Shrouded Prince? Have you actually thought of some storyline behind each title?

quote:
P.S. Back to the chapbooks noted in Downshadow: did you catch all the references among the titles?

Honestly no, because I am no native speaker so I do not know the original titles. Would be interesting though to know plus also to whom in the realms this refers:

"The Chained Man of Erlkazar": I didn't get that one, can you explain?
"The Blood Queen of Qurth": hmmm, no. Is this 4e?
"Return of the Shades": well yeah that is not too dificult unless it is something other than the Shadovar.
"Untold Privy Tales of Cormyr: The laughing sisters": I am not up to date with Cormyr in 4e... or is the pre-spellplague?
"The Wayward Witch Queen": no. Can you help me out?
"Adulteries of Lady Alustra: A Confessional": A fact based documentary book about royal life in Cormyr?
"Seven Sisters for Seven Nights": now wouldn't THAT be nice!? I guess Kelben would not be delighted though to know what Laeral does on... let's say...Thursdays?
"Torm's Conquests": I have heard of a mortal Torm, but do not remember in which novels he plays a role?
"Lascivities of a Loveable Lothario": hmmm... is Lothario a name?

-

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625

Edited by - skychrome on 02 Jun 2009 04:13:52
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2009 :  05:06:22  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skychrome

Wow, how did you get those? Via a Portal? Are you Arita's secret editor?

Could be. Or maybe I *am* Arita . . .

quote:
Nice! So that is why Arita and you have been NDA'd! Due to writing in pre-4e though living in 4e, her success will be limited to the realms...
Who is the Lord of Fate and who is the Shrouded Prince? Have you actually thought of some storyline behind each title?

Yes I have indeed.

quote:
quote:

Honestly no, because I am no native speaker so I do not know the original titles.

Well, I *could* give it all away, but . . .

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2009 :  23:07:35  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
[Could be. Or maybe I *am* Arita . . .

Shhh Erik! I wanted to help you to keep covered Arita's true identity and now you blew it!

quote:
Have you actually thought of some storyline behind each title?

quote:
Yes I have indeed.

"...but I will not tell you because otherwise some guild members in black coats will smite me with the +7 NDAs of Eternal Torment"?

quote:
[quote]Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

... yes?
Come on Erik, at least a little bit! As an incentive for the sages here to guess the rest!

-

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2009 :  15:33:24  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

"...but I will not tell you because otherwise some guild members in black coats will smite me with the +7 NDAs of Eternal Torment"?

Actually, none of those are specifically NDA'd, but as they relate to future story lines I may or may not develop, I'd prefer to keep them on the DL. And just leave it open to speculation!

quote:
quote:

... yes?
Come on Erik, at least a little bit! As an incentive for the sages here to guess the rest!

Hmm. Well . . . the significance may become apparent should you read more Realms novels. For starters, I suggest Paul Kemp's Erevis Cale trilogy. Also a number of classic Ed novels. And go from there.

I'll give a more direct hint to one of the more difficult ones: read page 152 of Brian James's brilliant Grand History of the Realms.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2009 :  17:21:49  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Hmm. Well . . . the significance may become apparent should you read more Realms novels. For starters, I suggest Paul Kemp's Erevis Cale trilogy. Also a number of classic Ed novels. And go from there.

I'll give a more direct hint to one of the more difficult ones: read page 152 of Brian James's brilliant Grand History of the Realms.

Hmmmm, I have read the Erevis Cale Trilogy twice but I do not see the connection of it with the different book titles above!?

Now regarding the Fox-series: I can imagine a conected storyline in there clearly which has some references to various topics related to Cale...

-

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2009 :  17:40:34  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hmmmm, I have read the Erevis Cale Trilogy twice but I do not see the connection of it with the different book titles above!?

Hmm. There isn't a reference in the novel to the "First and Second of Shadows" series?

quote:
Now regarding the Fox-series: I can imagine a conected storyline in there clearly which has some references to various topics related to Cale...

A few connections, though I don't know if the heroine upon whom the Silver Fox is based and Erevis Cale ever actually crossed paths . . . now that would be a story.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2009 :  02:36:44  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Hmm. There isn't a reference in the novel to the "First and Second of Shadows" series?

Mmm... I am pretty sure there isn't because I re-read it just a few weeks ago... Of course he refers to the first and second of Mask, but a "shadows series"... ?

quote:
A few connections, though I don't know if the heroine upon whom the Silver Fox is based and Erevis Cale ever actually crossed paths . . . now that would be a story.

True, that would be interesting! But actually I rather thought that according to the book titles, Fox might have met some NPCs and/or organisations that Cale also was in touch with, particularly there might be a Shadovar connection? Unless of course Fox in the Anauroch refers to DoM, then this would not fit anymore...

-

Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2009 :  05:10:38  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
[I'll give a more direct hint to one of the more difficult ones: read page 152 of Brian James's brilliant Grand History of the Realms.

So "Untold Privy Tales of Cormyr: The laughing sisters" refers to Alusair and Caladnei?!
Nice detail!

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2009 :  19:21:34  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Mmm... I am pretty sure there isn't because I re-read it just a few weeks ago... Of course he refers to the first and second of Mask, but a "shadows series"... ?

I meant on Page 87 of Downshadow, there's a reference to the "First and Second of Shadows" series.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2009 :  23:57:36  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I meant on Page 87 of Downshadow, there's a reference to the "First and Second of Shadows" series.

Ah, ok, then this was a misunderstanding. Of course it is on page 87, but I thought you meant a reference to this is in the EC trilogy.
Nevermind.

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2009 :  00:04:00  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not so much a reference *in* the EC trilogy . . . more of a reference *to* it.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2009 :  09:26:51  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seriously lovin' the book Erik! I'm on chapter 13.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2009 :  04:52:20  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm very glad. Any particular questions I can help you out with? Favorite scenes? Characters? Theories? Speculations?

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2009 :  03:22:14  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So is Fayne a half elf or something else altogether?
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2009 :  03:38:06  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Copper Elven Vampire

So is Fayne a half elf or something else altogether?

To answer your question directly would be a spoiler. I will say that her race is never explicitly stated in the book, but it should become very clear what she is by the end.

And no, she's no mere half-elf.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 06 Nov 2009 16:48:47
Go to Top of Page

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2009 :  13:40:07  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Quarter-Elf...
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2009 :  16:49:33  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Matt James

Quarter-Elf...

Myrin--by all appearances--is a quarter elf.

The rest of her? Hmm . . .

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2009 :  17:46:59  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, there is a lot of mention of Doppelgangers in the city. Hmmmmmm.... but no, she uses magic to change her form. Intriguing!

Also... a particular character never used to have golden eyes with no pupils. Very strange. And Fayne's costume at the ball... priceless.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2009 :  17:51:53  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, there is a lot of mention of Doppelgangers in the city. Hmmmmmm.... but no, she uses magic to change her form. Intriguing!
I'll let you keep guessing!

quote:
Also... a particular character never used to have golden eyes with no pupils. Very strange.
True. Now the question is, how did she *get* those eyes? Is it a function of the last hundred years (3.5 moon elves became 4e eladrin, which have solid-colored eyes) or something more sinister?

quote:
And Fayne's costume at the ball... priceless.
Glad you enjoyed.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2009 :  23:14:23  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Creature of Lilten? Didn't he teach someone how to Shadowdance? Or was that Neveren?

So with a particular persons spellscar, she cannot make love without burning their flesh? What a cruel Realms!

Now that Paul S. Kemp has severed ties with WoTc, we need more of "you know who". A Trilogy perhaps, or even a series.

I think I hear snickering inside my mind.

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2009 :  03:23:08  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Creature of Lilten? Didn't he teach someone how to Shadowdance? Or was that Neveren?
I don't know . . . what does Depths say on the matter?

quote:
So with a particular persons spellscar, she cannot make love without burning their flesh? What a cruel Realms!
That is a cruel trick, isn't it? Though it is more complicated than a simple "no touchy!" rule--it's more like she can never be really intimate with someone without causing them horrendous agony. I think of it as a physical manifestation of her psychological hangups.

Have you seen "Legend of the Seeker?" Or read Goodkind's Sword of Truth series, upon which it is based? The confessor's problem might be a better parallel.

quote:
we need more of "you know who". A Trilogy perhaps, or even a series.
I think I hear snickering inside my mind.
Well, if WotC so decides, then it will definitely happen.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2009 :  03:32:16  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So now I have to break out my Depths of Madness to solve this little matter. Ohh the agony!!
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2009 :  06:58:20  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh. I believe you'll find that a man named Neveren taught Twilight her shadowdancing skills.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000