Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Worthy of a Re-read?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2009 :  16:22:18  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Which FR novels do you find yourself re-reading over the years, and which ones did you enjoy, but felt once was enough?

My re-read list

Salvatore:
Homeland
Siege of Darkness

Denning:
Crucible: TToCTM

Cunningham:
Tangled Webs

Kemp:
The Erevis Cale Trilogy
Shadowrealm

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2009 :  16:37:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My re-reads are the same as my usual recommendations: Elaine, Kate Novak & Jeff Grubb, and a few specific others. Thus far, only a few of the authors that have written for the Realms in the last 5 or 10 years have been worthy of re-reads. At least, that's my opinion -- some of the trilogies and series that have gotten the most positive attention, of late, are ones that I was either bored with or flat out didn't like.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2009 :  17:16:45  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, it's probably not too much of a surprise to many that Ed's published Realms novels are among my frequent "semi-yearly" re-reads. Along with that, I work my way through Elaine's "Songs & Swords" series every 2-to-3 years. I've read Blackstaff twice, and I'm intending on re-reading Blackstaff Tower again later this year.

Aside from those, I've read Erik's Depths of Madness twice, along with Evermeet. Most every other Realms novel I've only read once. Maybe I'll read them again all at some point. I'm not really sure.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2009 :  17:26:55  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, besides all of them I have re-read all of Ed's works numerous times, as well as Salvatore, Kemp, and Cunningham.

Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2009 :  20:28:23  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, as far as I can remember (and many of these were years ago)I have read Spellfire and Crown of Fire three or four times, the first Moonshaes series three or four times, Elaines Harper books, along with a few other of the series (Night Parade Soldiers of Ice) and the Giants trilogy would be the same number. The others are mostly once.

As it dawned on me that I will at most have time to read about twenty thousand books in my life (a rather optimistic number at that)I have drastically cut down on rereading. Slightly neurotic, I know.
Go to Top of Page

Jimbobx
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
109 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2009 :  20:28:23  Show Profile Send Jimbobx a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arion Elenim

Which FR novels do you find yourself re-reading over the years, and which ones did you enjoy, but felt once was enough?

My re-read list

Salvatore:
Homeland
Siege of Darkness

Denning:
Crucible: TToCTM

Cunningham:
Tangled Webs

Kemp:
The Erevis Cale Trilogy
Shadowrealm

That would be my list exactly except I would add:
Lost Library of Cormanthyr by Mel Odom.

I love that book. Sort of Indiana Jones in Fareun. Well ish.

Rilyetan's Retreat

Jimbob's Waterdeep Journal
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2009 :  14:20:31  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I plan on reading everything once at this point but before my collection started getting so big, I did read The Legacy twice (it was the first FR novel I ever read, and I re-read it after going through all the Drizzt novels in order)...and I read Elminster: The Making of a Mage about three times.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Hyset
Acolyte

Austria
9 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2009 :  14:35:50  Show Profile  Visit Hyset's Homepage Send Hyset a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens
As it dawned on me that I will at most have time to read about twenty thousand books in my life (a rather optimistic number at that)I have drastically cut down on rereading. Slightly neurotic, I know.

I really can't imagine rereading any of the novells. Not that they are so bad, but as Jorkens said, there are many many good books out there, and only so little time. Only book i reread was LotR.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2009 :  14:41:04  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hyset

quote:

I really can't imagine rereading any of the novells. Not that they are so bad, but as Jorkens said, there are many many good books out there, and only so little time. Only book i reread was LotR.

I actually re-read the Hobbit because I wanted to see what it was like after having read and seen the movies of LotR

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

ajfurst
Acolyte

Australia
21 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2009 :  14:45:09  Show Profile  Visit ajfurst's Homepage Send ajfurst a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a few I re-read regularly. When I want to read something familiar or I'm short on cash for new books.

The ones I read at least every couple of years:

The Crystal Shard
Pools of Radiance
Azure Bonds
Finders Bane
Tymora's Luck

WoTC may say Realm shaking novels sell the best, but all my favourites are non-RSE ones. Just ones with a good story I can pick up any time.
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2009 :  15:24:55  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

quote:

quote:

I actually re-read the Hobbit because I wanted to see what it was like after having read and seen the movies of LotR

The Hobbit is OK, but Lord of the Rings is a work I will most likely never re-read. It took me five tries to get through it and the last time it was through sheer stubbornness. There is something about that book that rubs me the wrong way.
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2009 :  15:28:49  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am currently re-reading all the Erevis Cale stuff and am now in the middle of Shadowbred again. The cuantity of context I missed out when I read the books the first time is amazing but no wonder if one considers that there where large timespans between the publishings.
Great stuff, always good for a re-read.

Potential re-reads of FR for me are:
War of the Spiderqueen
City of Ravens
Black Bouquet
Storm of the Dead

One time reads: City of Splendors, Sentinelspire, Year of the Rogue Dragons, Frostfell and most stuff from Salvatore.

-

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2009 :  15:53:32  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I generally don't reread any FR books because there are still a lot of books I haven't read yet. That's OK with me.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2009 :  16:04:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

That's one way of looking at it... But to me, it doesn't matter if I've read it before or not -- just that I enjoy it. I'd far rather re-read an old favorite than struggle thru a new book.

That said, I have been trying to expand my reading of late, but part of that is because my personal library only consists of a few hundred books.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 06 Apr 2009 16:05:44
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2009 :  16:12:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The Hobbit is OK, but Lord of the Rings is a work I will most likely never re-read. It took me five tries to get through it and the last time it was through sheer stubbornness. There is something about that book that rubs me the wrong way.

The first time I read it, I had to struggle thru it... In fact, I put it down halfway thru The Two Towers, and didn't pick it back up for more than a year.

That was back in high school.

Fast forward about a decade, to when the movies were coming out. I re-read the books then, to re-familiarize myself with them before seeing the movies. And at that time, I thoroughly enjoyed them.

In fact, I have been playing a lot of Lord of the Rings Online of late (my friends got me the game, and I find it much more enjoyable than WoW), and it's got me thinking maybe it's time to re-read those books...

On a related note, since I mentioned the movies... When Return of the King came out in theaters, my friends and I assembled a large group of people to go see it. And one thing that was notable (particularly judging by the TBS commercials, a few years back, when they aired the movies) was that there were several scenes where either Merry and Pippin or Sam and Frodo were staring at each other like they were about to start making out or something. So when we're walking out of the theater, Josh, one of the guys in our group says "I didn't really like that movie." I commented "Yeah, he's just disappointed there wasn't more gay hobbit sex in there." Josh stops, looks at me, and in all seriousness asks "Was that in the book?"

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2009 :  16:13:20  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, and I'm right now re-reading the Counselors & Kings trilogy.

Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2009 :  16:16:59  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Fast forward about a decade, to when the movies were coming out. I re-read the books then, to re-familiarize myself with them before seeing the movies. And at that time, I thoroughly enjoyed them.

I actually prefer the books to the the movies, especially The Fellowship of the Ring. But I prefer the Bakshi version over both the books and the film. I know, I am weird.
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2009 :  20:22:28  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's only a few FR novels I just COULDN'T get through.

uber-serious Gandalf voice: But I will not speak of them here...

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

Snotlord
Senior Scribe

Norway
476 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2009 :  17:19:46  Show Profile  Visit Snotlord's Homepage Send Snotlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I reread Azure Bonds last year, after 15 (?) years. I enjoyed it more the second time around, and have picked up the rest of the series.

Spellfire, City of Ravens and maybe the first Drizzt series should also be fun.

Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2009 :  18:08:59  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've reread a lot of FR books, but If I had to pick two books I always love going back to, they'd be 'Elfshadow' by Elaine and 'Cormyr: a Novel' by Ed. I've read them many, MANY times over the years. Maybe there's a lot of nostalgia in it, too, but I honestly think those novels are true Realms classics that just portray the "spirit" of the Realms so vividly that I'm always just as amazed as I was the first time I cracked them open.

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2009 :  18:52:17  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Any book I purchase I will re-read at least once. Another reason I maintain my library of fantasy novels is so I can introduce others to the authors I love, and if I can afford and/or find new copies then I can financially support the authors that I love.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

edappel
Learned Scribe

Brazil
211 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2009 :  19:17:50  Show Profile Send edappel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You all, that every year re-read many novels, did you alread read all FR books? Well, I know that I'm a "newbie" on this subject, I've only read 42 novels, but I'll re-read some, just after read, at least 90% of FR novels... and as I read only about 30 per year, probably I'll never get to this point.
Maybe, in 6 years I'll think different.

--- Ed Appel

*** I'm a brazilian FR fan. So, feel free to correct my writing mistakes to improve my english.
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2009 :  20:09:20  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by edappel

You all, that every year re-read many novels, did you alread read all FR books? Well, I know that I'm a "newbie" on this subject, I've only read 42 novels, but I'll re-read some, just after read, at least 90% of FR novels... and as I read only about 30 per year, probably I'll never get to this point.

No there are several of the older books I never got and a couple I never finished. Of the newer books there are only a couple I have read and liked. The completist in me died years ago where the Realms are concerned.
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2009 :  22:55:39  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
You all, that every year re-read many novels, did you alread read all FR books?

Actually I read less FR novels than you and I have a whole bunch at home that I have not read yet. Still from time to time I repeat according to my mood.

After Shadowrealm for example I wanted to re-read everything about Erevis Cale to remind details and get the full context. I think re-reading is especially useful when it is about trilogies/series. The books are generally published with almost one year between each other so one misses a lot of context.

Some users here therefore only buy trilogies, when all books already have been published.
Personally I usually cannot wait that long...

-

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

Hyset
Acolyte

Austria
9 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2009 :  22:59:25  Show Profile  Visit Hyset's Homepage Send Hyset a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

No there are several of the older books I never got and a couple I never finished. Of the newer books there are only a couple I have read and liked. The completist in me died years ago where the Realms are concerned.

I am not willing to give up my target to read them all. Thats my major reason why I would never consider a reread. Hopefully I will have read ALL PRE-4th Edition novels till 2010
Go to Top of Page

Cardoc
Seeker

59 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2009 :  03:28:21  Show Profile  Visit Cardoc's Homepage Send Cardoc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Books I have read at least twice:

Dark Elf trilogy
Icewind Dale trilogy (Crystal Shard, etc)
Threat from the Sea trilogy
Pools trilogy
Spellfre
Crown of Fire
The Night Parade

I fully expect to read the Avatar trilogy again. It was the first FR series I ever read, when I was 11 years old. I'll never get enough of them. I also really enjoyed the Hunter's Blade trilogy and would like to read that again one day.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000