Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Information on Winterkeep
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BlackDragonKarameikos
Learned Scribe

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2009 :  14:07:30  Show Profile  Visit BlackDragonKarameikos's Homepage Send BlackDragonKarameikos a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I have a campaign running which is set in the Hordelands. I have just introduced a plotline that will take them on an adventure to find information on the ruins of Winterkeep (One of the PC's siblings is said to have headed there).

The information that I have given them so far, is that rumors state that the area is crawling with undead and powerful monsters(One rumor even stated that a dracolich had made its home down below the ruins, another states that a lich lives down there.)

After hearing the above rumors the one PC now insists that she must go and save her sister (which I will not discourage her from, but whether or not the rumors turn out to be true and if her sister is even there is another matter).

Now you can see why I'm looking for specific information on Winterkeep. What I'm specifically looking for is, what kind of creatures might be lurking in the area (since it is mostly grassland possibly some large game and wild animals), and also some history on the place as well (other than what is listed in the FRCS, or am I going to have to make that up myself).

Since this was once a winter palace for kings, I would think that it be a safe bet to assume that there are burial chambers here as well(along with what is stated in the FRCS), and that some of thos kings may have been Wizards, sorcerers, or warlocks, as well as powerful fighters, and possibly a druid or two(to help make the fields around the area of the palace more fertile).

I'm hoping you can help out with this.

And Thank You In advance.

BDK

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2009 :  15:01:04  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's some info on Winterkeep in The Horde boxed set, which is available as a free PDF download at WotC.

Unapproachable East has some brief bits as well.

Also, "The Horde" article from DRAGON #349 and it's associated web enhancement on the paizo.com site.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2009 :  16:33:04  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The novel Frostfell has it's culmination there.

There seems to be a tiny park-like Island VERY close to shore that is part of the city (Its a city/citadel) that has some-sort of arcane significance to the Raumathari.

However, its no longer park-like, because just about everything is frozen-over, and depending on when you plan to go there, you'r PCs could run into a Hag or worse - the Frostmen and their Ice Demon Overlords.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2009 :  00:30:51  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed the Raumathari monarchs were sorcerors and there was also a fairly significant (but as yet undetailed) druidic presence in the realm also.

Keep in mind that as I see Winterkeep, it wasn't a city as we know it. The main castle compound was built of stone but most of the main buildings wood have been made of timber (and hence are no no longer). Similarly there would have been a prevalence of underground dwellings also, to escape the worst ravages of winter - note however that in winter, Winterkeep had most of its population elsewhere, travelling to warmer climes.

As for creatures in the ruins, I would have a few demons in stasis, elemental creatures and white dragonets and various ice creatures. I would also have areas that are non-wintery that are the remnants of old druidic spells with likely more normal woodland creatures (and perhaps a fey presence).

I note that I haven't read the "Winterkeep" novel and so am not sure what that fiction has done to the place.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2009 :  02:43:50  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Every thing you said still fits.

Also, Mark Sehestedt REALLY did his homework (the hag even makes a cameo!) He even managed to explain why there are Ice Demons in a Raumathari Fortress/City - they were summoned by a Narfellian Demonbinder who was captured and switched sides (he didn't forsee the outcome because of his hubris).

He also establishes a Fey presence with the Lythari (amongst other things), which ties in beautifully with the Druidic-angle.

Truly, a masterpiece of a novel - Impeccable research and a story that didn't "shake the Realms". I would say he has set a standard that all other FR authors should aspire to.

<as to Winterkeep itself - I picture it being along the lines of Gormenghast; "a vast landscape of crumbling towers and ivy-filled quadrangles" - basically a castle that kept growing and evolving until it was a city unto itself (meant to run a vast empire)>

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 26 Mar 2009 02:50:32
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000