Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 The Rotting Man Stats
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2009 :  01:31:34  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hey all: Running an Impiltur/Damara game, and I figure that the Rotting Man makes a nice foil for the larger problems between the two nations (IMC, that is).
I've not read the novels regarding this fellow, but I do have the references to him in Unapproacable East: great for his followers (the Blightlords) not so much for the Man himself. Searching the Keep was likewise fruitless, so I come to my fellow scribes, hat in hand.
I can always just stat up a 20+ level druid/Blightlord, but I was wondering if there were published levels for him, or if those who had read the novels knew anything more than what is presented in the game material. Also, if any of the scribes wish to comment on ideas for an epic Blightlord progression, or any other info that might be of use when I stat him up for my PCs to chew on, I'd be grateful.

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2009 :  03:03:25  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He plays a big part in the Lady of Poison novel by Bruce Cordell.

I thought he was stat'd in UE....? Or was it in the FRCS?

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 20 Mar 2009 03:05:34
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2009 :  03:10:03  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I see his Blightlords stated-up in there, but he himself must be in a different book.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2009 :  03:19:52  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Page 118 in UE. NE Human Male Half Fiend Druid 12/Talona Blight Lord 10 Chosen of Talona. No build just that. I would say CR 24, so a 20th level party could fight him. Maybe CR25.

BRIMSTONE

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2009 :  03:23:30  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's some "Rotting Man" tidbits in Lost Empires of Faerūn also.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2009 :  03:25:27  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

There's some "Rotting Man" tidbits in Lost Empires of Faerūn also.

Really?

BRIMSTONE

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2009 :  04:53:42  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Brimstone: How I missed that, I do not know. And yes, there is a tiny bit of info on TRM in LEoF. P67, under Dun-Tharos and some other tidbits, too IIRC.
Alright question part the second, then: any suggestions for Chosen of Talona abilities? I know that being a Chosen doesn't necessarily mandate a template... but since we're going hog-wild on my poor, forlorn PCs, why not ratchet it up several notches more?
Normally I'd start w/ immunity to poison and disease, but our boy has all that covered. I guess a hefty Con boost, and some (more) spell-like abilities, then? Any thoughts, scribes? I'm guessing a +2 EL template is the goal.

And, far more importantly, can someone who has read the novel in question give me a brief physical description? I doubt that my PCs will actually see the BBEG just yet, but you never know.

Of course, having prepped all of this, my PCs will no doubt continue to ignore the diseased hordes erupting from the Rawlinswood into their lands and instead continue the spirited public-works program they've begun in their town.
Many thanks to all who have helped.

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2009 :  06:09:53  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Rotting Man Tidbits" just sounds SO wrong...

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2009 :  14:48:09  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now, Markustay, you just be a good boy and tuck right in to your steaming bowl of Rotting Man Tidbits. There are slave-children starving in Thay, you know, who would die, simply die for even a mouthful of . . .

love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2009 :  14:54:58  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

"Rotting Man Tidbits" just sounds SO wrong...

I had considered saying it another way, but I'd imagine it would've been largely inappropriate for "family-friendly" Candlekeep.

"What's that my Lady Hooded One? Why yes, I think you'd look great in that!"

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000