Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 North of Eveningstar?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2009 :  20:42:11  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Saw this picture earlier (thanks to Sean K Reynolds' blog), and my first reaction was "That looks like the Starwater Gorge." So, enjoy the scenery, folks!

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2009 :  21:33:19  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, that settles that. I'm moving to Canada.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2009 :  23:00:10  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd definitely visit.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 17 Mar 2009 23:00:36
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2009 :  02:49:10  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excellent. thanks for sharing. It does indeed appear similar to my vision of the area.
Go to Top of Page

Gang Falconhand
Seeker

United Kingdom
85 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2009 :  12:46:01  Show Profile  Visit Gang Falconhand's Homepage Send Gang Falconhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Um. What are we talking about here?

Link?

"If you have a quality let it define you."
Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

504 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2009 :  13:06:16  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Awesome picture.

So I know the Storm Horns are very high in some places but I always imagined there being low points up towards the Stonelands and being almost badland like. I think I got this impression from the Cormyr Saga.

How hard do you think it would be for people to cross up north of Eveningstar?

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2009 :  13:11:35  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gang Falconhand

Um. What are we talking about here?

Link?
Link is in the original post. Click where it says "this picture."
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2009 :  14:15:17  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gelcur, the main east-west road "through" Eveningstar runs right along the base of a rugged cliff, that's pierced by the gorge that a stream comes down to run through Eveningstar (and that the Haunted Halls is some distance up the west side of).
There are sheep-grazing meadows (with walls or "field fences" made of heaped-up rocks and boulders, to keep the sheep from plunging to their deaths) atop the east side of the cliff, and a narrow, winding path leading up to them. However, the rest of the atop-the-plateau area, stretching way north to where the Zhents have their trade route (Yellow Snake Pass, etc.), is the Stonelands "proper."
Which means it's a trackless, unmapped chaos of bare rock (like the real-world Canadian Shield) where tufts of grass, stunted trees, and varous thorny shrubs and vines cling to cracks, and the topography consists of endless breakneck-steep ravines with ridges between them. So agile, strong, healthy individuals, carrying not much more than packs on their backs, can navigate it (slowly), but any sort of mounts, and even pack mules, can't. So being Baron of the Stonelands is NOT ruling over farms or vast forests or anything like a field (with the exception of tiny "bowl" meadows hidden in the midst of all this rock, like the one where Delg fell in Shandril's Saga).
So long as travel was only by day, and never in fog, and the travelers were VERY careful to always seek landmarks (high points of rock) ahead in their desired direction of travel (landmarks they'd continually lose sight of as they plunged down a ravine, only to try to find again as they climbed up out of it), a band of good climbers could pass east to west (or vice versa) north of Eveningstar - - assuming they didn't run afoul of the many roaming monsters (including orc and goblin bands) or, farther north, Zhent mages riding foulwings. However, there's NO WAY cavalry, or any organized army unit, could make the trek and being in any sense "organized" during it or when they emerged from the Stonelands (they'd straggle out in little groups, over a long time).
Hope this helps; for more, ask Ed in his thread.
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 18 Mar 2009 14:16:55
Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

504 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2009 :  15:56:03  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you oh lovely lady, this is a great description of the area and it is always good to have a real world comparison for places in the Realms.

I plan to run a small 3 or 4 session quest soon from Eveningstar, into the Stonelands and to Ed's Irongard, from the old Dungeon Magazine. So all this info will come in useful.

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2009 :  17:35:25  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ohhhhhhh... the Stormhorns.

Sexy.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2009 :  17:58:20  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I find it helpful to players to describe the stonelands as similar to Amyn Muil in Lord of the Rings, the area where Frodo and Sam get lost after they seperate from the fellowship and in which they capture Golem.

Afet bint Tuzaní

"As the good Archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself."
- Danilo Thann in Elfsong by Elaine Cunningham
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000