Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Dretchroyaster's lair
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RafaelBR
Acolyte

Brazil
1 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2009 :  16:39:56  Show Profile  Visit RafaelBR's Homepage Send RafaelBR a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Dear fellows,

I'm running a Realms campaign where the PCs will need to sneak into Dretchroyaster's lair to retrieve the Diamond Scepter of Chomylla. I've read the description of Dretch's lais in both Cult of the Dragon and Dragons of Faerun, but I'm having trouble visualizing the crystalline webs of his lair and Monarch's Fall Glade in general.

Does anyone know where I can find illustrations of his lair? (doesn't need to be canon) What would yoou suggest: a great mound of crystal, with caverns inside, or crystalline strucutures anchored to the trees?

Any information about Dretch and his lair would be welcome.

Thanks!

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36781 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2009 :  17:02:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Crystalline structures anchored to trees, and with an organic appearance. His lair is built, in part, from a crashed elven spelljamming vessel -- and those things had graceful wings with sweeping curves, and the overall appearance of a butterfly with some interesting wings.

So I'd go with lots of curved, organic shapes, emphasizing the look of a growing thing. It's only when the material is examined that it's revealed to be some sort of crystal.

What I wouldn't do is have it look like the kind of crystals you'd expect in a rock formation or on the inside of a geode.

That's my spin on it.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2009 :  00:48:38  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you've seen the show FARSCAPE, think of the corridors and tunnels being similar to being inside the living ship...although a bit more crystalline.

If not, think of Shelob's Lair in Return of the King (movie) and harden a lot of it up, making the web strands vastly thicker and harder but not obviously crystal.

Steven
who otherwise thinks Wooly's spot-on in his descrips above

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com

Edited by - Steven Schend on 24 Feb 2009 00:50:14
Go to Top of Page

Raith
Seeker

USA
76 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2009 :  16:23:29  Show Profile  Visit Raith's Homepage Send Raith a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Remember the end of Spider Man 3 when Venom had Mary Jane up in the air in a huge web and we all thought "Oh God, please, let it be for real this time. Let her die here and now so Peter can be free of that shrew and get together with Gwen Stacey!" but of course Spidey shows up to rescue her because he's like an abused spouse or a loyal little puppy or something?

...anyway, like those symbiote webs but shiny.

"Power and dominion are taken by the Will. By divine right Hail and Kill!"
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2009 :  17:06:43  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Or even the Geigeresque spaceships from the first Alien Movie (but more crystaline then black).

Moya - Good call.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2009 :  23:30:57  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Or even the Geigeresque spaceships from the first Alien Movie (but more crystaline then black).
There's sample images online taken directly from Giger's book Necronomicon. They should help to visualise this kind appearance.
quote:
Moya - Good call.
Indeed. And if Rafael has access to it, the Farscape RPG has some interesting internal/external diagrams for the "Leviathan" vessels that should help. Additionally, the DVD compilations of the television series have a "Designing Moya" feature that really explains the creative processes involved in designing the ship.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000