Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 The Ghost King -- Description
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Sith_Lord_Drizzt
Seeker

Canada
92 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2009 :  19:59:34  Show Profile  Visit Sith_Lord_Drizzt's Homepage Send Sith_Lord_Drizzt a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
My apologies if this has been mentioned before. I didn't see it anywhere when I searched the forum.

Amazon has released the description of The Ghost King:

"Don’t miss the gripping conclusion to Salvatore’s New York Times best-selling Transitions trilogy!

When the Spellplague ravages Faerûn, Drizzt and his companions are caught in the chaos. Seeking out the help of the priest Cadderly–the hero of the recently reissued series The Cleric Quintet–Drizzt finds himself facing his most powerful and elusive foe, the twisted Crenshinibon, the demonic crystal shard he believed had been destroyed years ago."

Any thoughts based on the description?

"Jarlaxle's grin disappeared as he turned his attention to Drizzt. He watched the fury of the drow unleashed. Jarlaxle had seen Drizzt in action many times before, but never like that".

mnb128
Learned Scribe

USA
130 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2009 :  20:17:29  Show Profile  Visit mnb128's Homepage Send mnb128 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm looking forward to it, yet I'm sick of Crenshinibon. I want a knew villian that's not a rock (or the ghost of a rock). I am excited to see more of Cadderly though. I will probably wait a long time to read this as I want to complete all pre-spell plague novels first. Then I'll move to the books/series that occur during spell plague. Then post.
Go to Top of Page

mnb128
Learned Scribe

USA
130 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2009 :  20:19:58  Show Profile  Visit mnb128's Homepage Send mnb128 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zakiel

Yeah. In the 4E Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide, it says Cadderly's temple, The Spirit Soaring, is in ruins, so maybe it gets destroyed here.

Can't recall if it's in the prologue or epilogue of "The Orc King," but based on information therein, this is a safe bet.
Go to Top of Page

Sith_Lord_Drizzt
Seeker

Canada
92 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2009 :  20:26:23  Show Profile  Visit Sith_Lord_Drizzt's Homepage Send Sith_Lord_Drizzt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mnb128

I'm looking forward to it, yet I'm sick of Crenshinibon. I want a knew villian that's not a rock (or the ghost of a rock). I am excited to see more of Cadderly though. I will probably wait a long time to read this as I want to complete all pre-spell plague novels first. Then I'll move to the books/series that occur during spell plague. Then post.

I am looking forward to this one as well (especially since I was disappointed in The Pirate King). And I agree that Crenshinibon has made too many appearances. Thus far I've enjoyed the novels where the Spellplague has hit and I'm very interested to see how Salvatore handlws it.

"Jarlaxle's grin disappeared as he turned his attention to Drizzt. He watched the fury of the drow unleashed. Jarlaxle had seen Drizzt in action many times before, but never like that".
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2009 :  20:46:02  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Deneir, Cadderly's god, isn't in 4E, so something happens to him. Cadderly isn't going to be much of a priest when his god dies/vanishes.

If he is still around, a quick switch to Ohgma will fix that!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2009 :  22:42:18  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Deneir, Cadderly's god, isn't in 4E, so something happens to him. Cadderly isn't going to be much of a priest when his god dies/vanishes.

Unless Cadderly himself assumes the portfolios/duties of the now vacated position of Deneir.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2009 :  23:05:59  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Mayhap Deneir will be visiting Abeir in the 4E Realms. Thats where I like to think that any missing or presumed Dead Gods are at for the time being.

BRIMSTONE

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2009 :  00:32:08  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sith_Lord_Drizzt

My apologies if this has been mentioned before. I didn't see it anywhere when I searched the forum.

Amazon has released the description of The Ghost King:

"Don’t miss the gripping conclusion to Salvatore’s New York Times best-selling Transitions trilogy!

When the Spellplague ravages Faerûn, Drizzt and his companions are caught in the chaos. Seeking out the help of the priest Cadderly–the hero of the recently reissued series The Cleric Quintet–Drizzt finds himself facing his most powerful and elusive foe, the twisted Crenshinibon, the demonic crystal shard he believed had been destroyed years ago."

Any thoughts based on the description?

My gut reaction is this:

Crenshinibon again?

Of course, I haven't really decided if I even want to finish reading this trilogy--my interest is all but gone.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 18 Feb 2009 00:32:23
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2009 :  07:58:32  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not that bloody crystal again...

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2009 :  13:29:40  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And the Ghost King is........

Akar Kessel

Go to Top of Page

ranger_of_the_unicorn_run
Learned Scribe

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2009 :  13:50:23  Show Profile Send ranger_of_the_unicorn_run a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

Akar Kessel

Arrgh! *facepalm*

It seems a little pathetic to use the same pseudo-villain three times.

Well, I haven't really been getting into his books lately, anyway. I started making a habit of getting the books for my birthday because they would come out around then, give or take a couple of weeks, but I was so disappointed with TOK, that I didn't get TPK until a few months later. I'm having a hard time getting into it too.

Salvatore used to be my favorite author, but lately, I just can't get into his writing.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2009 :  14:32:06  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I am looking forward to this one. Cadderly is back, and this novel will hopefully explain what happens to a bunch of characters.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2009 :  15:43:56  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ranger_of_the_unicorn_run

quote:

Akar Kessel

Arrgh! *facepalm*

It seems a little pathetic to use the same pseudo-villain three times.

Well, I haven't really been getting into his books lately, anyway. I started making a habit of getting the books for my birthday because they would come out around then, give or take a couple of weeks, but I was so disappointed with TOK, that I didn't get TPK until a few months later. I'm having a hard time getting into it too.

Salvatore used to be my favorite author, but lately, I just can't get into his writing.

As much as I like inspiring you into a Facepalm(I wish I could see that!!), I can't let you think I was serious.

That was total sarcasm. As far as I know he is not in the book. Sorry for any confusion!

Go to Top of Page

ranger_of_the_unicorn_run
Learned Scribe

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2009 :  15:58:01  Show Profile Send ranger_of_the_unicorn_run a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

As much as I like inspiring you into a Facepalm(I wish I could see that!!), I can't let you think I was serious.

That was total sarcasm. As far as I know he is not in the book. Sorry for any confusion!

Oops, I think I should have clarified my post. I was referring to the Crystal Shard for the last part of it. I figured they weren't bringing back Akar Kessel, though the facepalm was partially in response to that because it made me imagine them actually doing it. The facepalm was also for the fact that they actually are bringing the Crystal Shard into a third book. So you did inspire the facepalm just as much as the actual story did!
Go to Top of Page

mnb128
Learned Scribe

USA
130 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2009 :  16:17:54  Show Profile  Visit mnb128's Homepage Send mnb128 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Stupid shard. I almost hope it wins this time.

In all seriousness, for all we know this will be the best book RAS has ever written, but the fact that Crenshinibon is being reintroduced is going to make that a much taller task than if the villain were new.

That being said, it's unlikely that the villain will be the shard itself. It will more likely be the spirit that was contained within the shard, which could be interesting. As long as Drizzt and co aren't fighting a stupid rock again.
Go to Top of Page

Sith_Lord_Drizzt
Seeker

Canada
92 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2009 :  20:23:14  Show Profile  Visit Sith_Lord_Drizzt's Homepage Send Sith_Lord_Drizzt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

In all seriousness, for all we know this will be the best book RAS has ever written, but the fact that Crenshinibon is being reintroduced is going to make that a much taller task than if the villain were new.

That being said, it's unlikely that the villain will be the shard itself. It will more likely be the spirit that was contained within the shard, which could be interesting. As long as Drizzt and co aren't fighting a stupid rock again.

Agreed. I had hoped for a new villain that would actually challenge Drizzt. Looks like we're stuck with Crenshinibon though. I'm only going to read this one because I've read the other two. But it would be funny if this turns out to be Salvatore's best Drizzt novel ever. Stranger things have happened!

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2009 :  20:45:57  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Agreed. I had hoped for a new villain that would actually challenge Drizzt. Looks like we're stuck with Crenshinibon though. I'm only going to read this one because I've read the other two. But it would be funny if this turns out to be Salvatore's best Drizzt novel ever. Stranger things have happened!

I am also going to read it, since i have read everyother D book. And enjoyed all but the Pirate King, which has major flaws...but I thought was better than it was bad.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2009 :  23:51:14  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Akar Kessel

Unfortunately, that might turn out to be the case!

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2009 :  18:43:25  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:

Akar Kessel

Unfortunately, that might turn out to be the case!

I will be soooo disappointed if my sarcasm turn truth and we see Akar....bleech!

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2009 :  18:44:58  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Surely since the stylishly cute couple of Arty and Jarly killed Zhengi, one of them now is The Ghost King????

Edited by - The Red Walker on 19 Feb 2009 18:45:17
Go to Top of Page

Drizztsmanchild
Learned Scribe

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2009 :  03:51:27  Show Profile  Visit Drizztsmanchild's Homepage Send Drizztsmanchild a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually IMO. It's either going to be Cadderly as the Ghost King since his former temple is supposedly haunted now. Or RAS is continuing the theme of an evil character as the title character(I.E Obould=Orc King Kensiden= Pirate King and go with the Sultan that's trapped in the Crenshinabon or Raiguy who was supposedly destroyed at the same time as the shard.
Go to Top of Page

Drakul
Senior Scribe

USA
367 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2009 :  11:04:03  Show Profile Send Drakul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How can The Crystal Shard be back?? That Red destroyed it when Jarlaxle, Artemis and Cadderly and his gang helped them in The Servant of the Shard. The Red went blind because of it. How is it back yet again?? This is becoming tiresome. I was hopin for somethin better.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDonLNKf6_KA9Qlal3Qu3zQ?view_as=subscriber
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2009 :  13:51:45  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Drakul

How can The Crystal Shard be back?? That Red destroyed it when Jarlaxle, Artemis and Cadderly and his gang helped them in The Servant of the Shard. The Red went blind because of it. How is it back yet again??

Over at RAS.com, I suggested the following:
quote:
As far as what role the Shard plays in this upcoming novel, I would like to point out that it also played some sort of indirect role in Streams of Silver, in that it was Dendybar the Mottled's motivation for hunting down Drizzt. And yet, the Shard itself never actually made an appearance in that novel at all. Neither its physical form nor the residue of living entitites trapped within it directly had a bearing on the story, but Drizzt could be said to have been "haunted" by the Shard (or its influence, legacy, etc.) throughout SOSi, just the same.

Just something to consider. It's not always good to take things so literally. A little birdy once told me that... (<BEAST post on 26-FEB-2009>)

I will add that I have not read The Ghost King, yet, and I haven't a clue as to how the Shard will actually feature in the story. I'm just open-minded enough to be willing to wait and see how RAS pulls it off.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">

Edited by - BEAST on 25 Mar 2009 13:53:57
Go to Top of Page

Drakul
Senior Scribe

USA
367 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2009 :  14:35:34  Show Profile Send Drakul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now that you mention it, The Crystal Shard was never mentioned at all until Passage to Dawn. After The Crystal Shard was buried in IWD Trilogy book 1, its like it remained that way until that female Dwarf found it. Then in The Silent Blade, it was stolen from them by Jarlaxle's crew. Then he grew tired of it and sought to destroy it, which we all thought it was when the Red went blind as it spat its firey breath upon it. The souls that made the Crystal Shard left the thing and for all we knew, that was that.

I don't know. If this is what the next book is about, I am hesitant to even read it. No offense to RAS, but The Crystal Shard is a tad bit redundant.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDonLNKf6_KA9Qlal3Qu3zQ?view_as=subscriber
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2009 :  15:08:23  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Doesn't "Servant of the Shard" say on the back that the story or whatever about the Crystal Shard comes to its shattering conclusion, or something to that effect??

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Sith_Lord_Drizzt
Seeker

Canada
92 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2009 :  21:34:40  Show Profile  Visit Sith_Lord_Drizzt's Homepage Send Sith_Lord_Drizzt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not sure if this is really R.A Salvatore, but over at the Salvatore forums this is what he stated. My apologies, I don't know how to add links in these forums.

Possible spoiler:

"The AD copy makes me cringe. To say "The Ghost King" is about the Crystal Shard is like saying that "Streams of Silver" is about Entreri chasing Regis.

Yes, it's there, kind of, but the book is about the change in the Forgotten Realms, the Spellplague and the end of...well, for me, an era. To begin writing every day, I'd go to youtube and pull up three specific musical clips of a favorite muse to put myself squarely in the emotional mindset I encountered when writing "Mortalis," because these old friends, the Companions of the Hall, demanded no less from me. Most of my writing was done through tears.

Reducing that to a the big baddie, THE CRYSTAL SHARD!, well, doesn't work for me, sorry. But then, the person writing that ad copy hadn't read the book, since it was out before I even turned the book in, and to this day, no one other than R.A. Salvatore has read it cover to cover.

Bob"

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2009 :  22:02:31  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't think the book would necessarily be about the Crystal Shard, but even if the CS wasn't mentioned at all, I'm still not sure if I would want to read this novel.

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 25 Mar 2009 22:02:54
Go to Top of Page

Sith_Lord_Drizzt
Seeker

Canada
92 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2009 :  00:16:40  Show Profile  Visit Sith_Lord_Drizzt's Homepage Send Sith_Lord_Drizzt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

I didn't think the book would necessarily be about the Crystal Shard, but even if the CS wasn't mentioned at all, I'm still not sure if I would want to read this novel.

I'm a huge Drizzt fan but I must admit that I haven't enjoyed the last few novels, especially "The Pirate King". The only reason I'm going to read "The Ghost King" is because I've read the rest of them. And who knows....maybe this will be the best Drizzt book written yet! Hey, a person can dream can't they?

Go to Top of Page

Drizztsmanchild
Learned Scribe

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2009 :  03:05:50  Show Profile  Visit Drizztsmanchild's Homepage Send Drizztsmanchild a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wl if the author is writing through tears then I guess it's safe to say one or more of the Companions doesn't make it through the novel. Or RAS like most old school fans is sad to see the changes in 4e. I am going to read this because just as I read the first novel so I shall read the last Drizzt novel by RAS. Somehow I'm not seeing. Ras sticking with Wotc once his current contract is up.

On a side note at least now we know where Drizzt gets his emo-aspect fromm:P

Edited by - Drizztsmanchild on 26 Mar 2009 03:08:14
Go to Top of Page

mnb128
Learned Scribe

USA
130 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2009 :  17:40:50  Show Profile  Visit mnb128's Homepage Send mnb128 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Not sure if this is really R.A Salvatore, but over at the Salvatore forums this is what he stated. My apologies, I don't know how to add links in these forums.

Possible spoiler:

"The AD copy makes me cringe. To say "The Ghost King" is about the Crystal Shard is like saying that "Streams of Silver" is about Entreri chasing Regis.

Reducing that to a the big baddie, THE CRYSTAL SHARD!, well, doesn't work for me, sorry. But then, the person writing that ad copy hadn't read the book, since it was out before I even turned the book in, and to this day, no one other than R.A. Salvatore has read it cover to cover.

Bob"

Phew. That's good news.
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2009 :  18:53:51  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Drizztsmanchild

Wl if the author is writing through tears then I guess it's safe to say one or more of the Companions doesn't make it through the novel.

Yep, it sounds likely:
quote:
Spoiler: The drow put up Taulmaril and set an arrow retrieved from the enchanted quiver he wore on his back. He aimed center mass on the dwarf, but perhaps in deference to King Bruenor--or Thibbledorf, or Dagnabbit, or any of the other noble and fierce dwarves he had known those decades before, he lowered his angle and let fly. Like a bolt of lightning, the magical arrow slashed the air and drove through the fleshy part of the dwarf's thigh. The poor dwarf screamed and veered then fell down. (bold added; The Orc King, Pre.)

quote:
Spoiler: Though old King Bruenor has passed away, the symbol of Clan Battlehammer (a foaming beer mug) remains the realm’s standard. (bold added; FRCG 4E, C6:p.149:"Mithral Hall")

And there's always magic-wielding Catti-brie to consider...

Of course, this is just speculation.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000