Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 What metal is used for armor and weapons?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

charger28alpha
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2009 :  02:53:02  Show Profile  Visit charger28alpha's Homepage Send charger28alpha a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Greetings,

I am planning campaign set in Tethyr (1370DR). I downloaded the Lands of Intrigue set from WOTC, and loved it. My question for the assorted experts here is the same as the title of this post, what metal is most often used for armor and weapons? I am curious about all of Faerun, not just Tethyr and its neighbors.

If it is iron, would the Dwarves in Iltkazar produce steel equipment? If it is steel, how common are iron weapons and armor?

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2009 :  03:55:38  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd check Volo's Guide to All Things Magical, it has a section specifically on various metals (both mundane and not-so-mundane) used throughout Faerun.

But in general, if you're talking about your run-of-the-mill sword or armor, you're talking steel. A few places (Mulhorand) still use bronze, but in general it's steel or better-than-steel like the mithril coming out of Iltkazar. After all, there's a reason it's called the Mithril Kingdom.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

charger28alpha
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2009 :  05:27:50  Show Profile  Visit charger28alpha's Homepage Send charger28alpha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Hoondatha,

I figured as much, just could not find anything concrete. I just downloaded Volo's Guide to All Things Magical, and it looks like a great piece of work.
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2009 :  05:53:27  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's one of the best, no doubt. The gemstone section alone leaves me in awe each time I read it.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

IngoDjan
Learned Scribe

Brazil
146 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2009 :  06:43:08  Show Profile  Visit IngoDjan's Homepage Send IngoDjan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Iron and steel. And others metals too. All is the same thing. Except some, like cold iron and adamantine.

Ingo Djan
DUNGEON MASTER AO OF THE DIAMONDS!
"I see the future repeat the past. It all is a museum of great news. The Time do not stop."
Go to Top of Page

Wrigs13
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
201 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2009 :  15:10:02  Show Profile  Visit Wrigs13's Homepage Send Wrigs13 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is there any material that has composite properties of mithril and adamantite?

I am trying to find a precedent for armor that is light enough to grant decent dex bonuses but also give some DR/- as well.

Do not try to understand the 4th edition. Thats impossible. Instead...only try to realise the truth. There is no 4th edition.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2009 :  15:16:14  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's been nothing published. My personal feeling is that Mithral and Adamantine go in opposite directions for metallic compositions.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Wrigs13
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
201 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2009 :  15:21:14  Show Profile  Visit Wrigs13's Homepage Send Wrigs13 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah that was kind of mt opinion too.

The problem I have got is a fighter with dex 20 who wants the benefit of damage resistance.

Do not try to understand the 4th edition. Thats impossible. Instead...only try to realise the truth. There is no 4th edition.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2009 :  15:27:08  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Check out some of the 'shirts' in the Magic Item Compendium, p. 134-136. (e.g. Shirt of Bone - 3/Bludgeoning, Shirt of Angels - 3/evil, Shirt of Ironskin - 3/adamantine)

Ashe's Character Sheet

Edited by - Ashe Ravenheart on 04 Feb 2009 15:27:29
Go to Top of Page

Wrigs13
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
201 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2009 :  15:40:41  Show Profile  Visit Wrigs13's Homepage Send Wrigs13 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cheers for that will have a look now.

Do you think that if you make your armor twice as thick, ie twice as heavy, it would gain extra protection? and in the case of adamantite would your DR double?

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2009 :  15:53:10  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Possibly. But it then becomes too cumbersome to move in then (double the Armor Check and Max Dex penalties).

Another idea would be to check out the Arcana Unearthed optional rules that split the Armor bonus into a Defense bonus and DR, but it's not really anything extra, like what you're looking for.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2009 :  16:05:23  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think FR had Steel replace Bronze almost immediately, unlike our RW which had an 'Iron Age', because of the involvement with the Dwarves.

Once Iron came into use amongst humans, Dwarven smiths would have almost certainly taught them the various techniques of alloying metals , once they had reached that level of sophistication.

Also, Armor and weapons made form 'Cold Iron' are anethema to the Fey races, and almost certainly all of them would have done everything possible to "help move the human technology along" past an Iron Age.

Considering the Le'Shay (Fey) involvment with the Imaskari, one can surmise that it was they who taught the workings of steal and magical metals to the early people of Imaskar. That would have given humans steal a good seven thousand years before we had it here on Earth.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

charger28alpha
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2009 :  05:12:51  Show Profile  Visit charger28alpha's Homepage Send charger28alpha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks to all for the info.

Markustay,

As a follow up on the skipping of the Iron Age. How advanced would steel weapons and armor be? Here on on earth steel has improved over the centuries.

PS: Your maps rock.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000