Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Redeemed One
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2009 :  20:54:40  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ErskineF

The FRCS says the opposite: "Shar has full control over the Shadow Weave and can isolate any creature from it or silence it entirely without any harm to herself." (p.57)

Was that overturned with 3.5?

Personally, I prefer it that way, because I would not want the Shadow Weave to become neutral ground. It's Shar's domain, and I would rather leave it that way.

I was just thumbing through Faiths & Pantheons, BTW, and came across this:

Mystra p. 52:

Deny Weave (unique salient divine ability) Mystra has the power to deny any creature, mortal or divine, the ability to access the Weave. Should she choose to do so, an affected creature cannot employ any spell or spell-like ability for as long as Mystra chooses to block his or her access to the Weave. This ability has no affect on a creature's ability to access the Shadow Weave.

Shar p. 60

Deny Shadow Weave (unique salient divine ability) Sharhas the power to deny any creature, mortal or divine, the ability to access the Shadow Weave. Should she choose to do so, an affected creature cannot employ any spell or spell-like ability granted through the Shadow Weave for as long as Mystra chooses to block his or her access to it. This ability has no affect on a creature's ability to access the Weave.

So, it sounds like their abilities to deny access are about the same. The only problem is that Mystra has so many more accessing the weave than Shar has accessing the Shadow Weave. If more people were to use the Shadow Weave, I believe it would be harder for Shar to notice/deny an individual.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2009 :  02:04:28  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nerfed2Hell

quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

If you're interested in my two cents . . .

I think Shar "works in mysterious ways"--she can allow someone to *think* she's escaped from her clutches, become a good guy, and get herself well placed into, say, Selune or Mystra's faith, or the Harpers, and then arrange matters to snap her back to evil.

Now Shar's got a high-level, extremely influential sleeper agent who can corrupt and corrode good organizations from the inside. Perhaps she could start an entire "secret operations" wing of the Harpers (ala Moonstars, calling them instead, maybe, "Darkstars") who think they're supporting the cause of good, whilst really working against the Harpers.

(I don't know if anyone's seen Alias, but it would be much like that.)

That seems like a great theme for a campaign, particularly one with lots of skullduggery and intrigue.

Cheers

EDIT: Also, the highly placed good person might not know that she's evil, thinking that instead she's doing *good* things. And at some point she might start *doubting* whether her actions are her own doing, or Shar's influence through her. Did she just fail in a good task, or was she *programmed* to fail? (Guess I'm in a BSG mood too!)

I could see that... if the individual was evil to begin with.
You could go the whole double agent route as you described, Erik, but then the initial description of the character is erroneous. If it were a description specifically for the DM to read to players to mislead them, that's one thing... but its another to be so undercover that the character description is misleading the DM, too.

A well taken point, N2H--I wasn't necessarily talking about that character in particular, just the concept. In Diedora's case, it seems to me, that if she was never *evil* than "redemption" isn't the right word. I see her capable of going either way, and I think that's the concept.

What's most interesting from a DM standpoint for me is "why was Shar interested in her in the first place?"

I suspect that Shar must have seen some great potential in her, in order to invest in what appears to be a lost cause. So that even if she's resisted evil thus far, Shar still sees a darker future in store for her. Diedora's "inner strength" probably just makes it more likely that she will ultimately serve Shar's purposes (in that sleeper agent scenario), or else just crushing a heart of light. (So cheery, aren't I?)

For a novel analogy, why would Mask pick Erevis Cale, who doesn't worship him and isn't evil?

A DM could certainly create a campaign around such a story--whether it's Diedora or a PC.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2009 :  02:10:40  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ranger_of_the_unicorn_run

quote:
Originally posted by malchor7

In fact, wouldn't it be pretty cool to have a "good guy" who can use the shadow weave--thus combating bad guys who've got it?

Shadow Stone Spoiler:

Well, Aeron Morieth is sorta-kinda-almost a good guy with the ability to use the shadow weave. I'm not quite sure, but I think his alignment is listed as CN. However, if I am remembering the book correctly, he seemed to me to be well on the way to good by the end.

He's actually Neutral as per the FRCS (IIRC!).

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

ErskineF
Learned Scribe

USA
330 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2009 :  02:50:48  Show Profile  Visit ErskineF's Homepage Send ErskineF a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

Wasn't that the purpose of the Shadow Weave in the first place? To supplant the dependency of accessing magic through Mystra?

It makes her followers independent of Mystra, so that they can't be blocked from accessing magic. I don't think she would necessarily want that for everyone. If she didn't keep it to herself just for the power, then she would do it for the paranoia implied in having 'Unrevealed Secrets' as part of her portfolio. :)

--
Erskine Fincher
http://forgotten-realms.wandering-dwarf.com/index.php
Go to Top of Page

ErskineF
Learned Scribe

USA
330 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2009 :  04:01:15  Show Profile  Visit ErskineF's Homepage Send ErskineF a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

A well taken point, N2H--I wasn't necessarily talking about that character in particular, just the concept. In Diedora's case, it seems to me, that if she was never *evil* than "redemption" isn't the right word. I see her capable of going either way, and I think that's the concept.

I guess it depends on how one interprets the Neutral alignment. Does it mean that her evil actions are balanced by good ones, or that she's sitting on the fence, trying not to take sides? The description sounds like the latter, but it's hard to imagine that she served as a Sharran priestess that long without ever doing anything evil.

quote:
What's most interesting from a DM standpoint for me is "why was Shar interested in her in the first place?"

Yes! And there the possibilities are endless. A goddess who's been around since almost the beginning of time would always be thinking long term, and her patience would be nearly infinite. Diedora could be just a small cog in a very intricate plot that won't come to fruition for another two hundred years. She could be part of a breeding program geared towards producing a Sharran "Kwisatz Haderach." (We know from the Shadowking novels that there are bloodlines with a talent for the manipulation of shadows.) Who could know what Shar wants her for?

quote:
Diedora's "inner strength" probably just makes it more likely that she will ultimately serve Shar's purposes (in that sleeper agent scenario), or else just crushing a heart of light. (So cheery, aren't I?)

There's one invaluable benefit that Shar could grant to a woman with a conscience who finds herself in circumstances where she has performed an evil act: Forgetfulness. Diedora's conscience could tie her to Shar more completely than another servant's lack thereof.

It's a very easy plot to arrange. In the course of her service to the church, Diedora becomes embroiled in a battle in which she kills (or seems to have killed) an innocent person--perhaps a child, maybe someone she loves. Afterwards, she has horrific nightmares in which she witnesses the event over and over in excrutiating detail. She's wracked by guilt and despair. Shar offers her the boon of forgetfulness, which she eagerly accepts.

Now she's hooked. If she leaves Shar's service, she has to deal with the nightmares and the guilt. Shar pushes her to commit more and more evil acts using the threat of withdrawing her forgetfulness if she refuses, but always allowing her to forget the evil deed afterwards as recompense--and as one more thing to blackmail her with later.

--
Erskine Fincher
http://forgotten-realms.wandering-dwarf.com/index.php
Go to Top of Page

Nerfed2Hell
Senior Scribe

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2009 :  22:07:02  Show Profile  Visit Nerfed2Hell's Homepage Send Nerfed2Hell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I suspect that Shar must have seen some great potential in her, in order to invest in what appears to be a lost cause. So that even if she's resisted evil thus far, Shar still sees a darker future in store for her. Diedora's "inner strength" probably just makes it more likely that she will ultimately serve Shar's purposes (in that sleeper agent scenario), or else just crushing a heart of light. (So cheery, aren't I?)

Cheery? Of course not... but that's the kind of reasoning I would use.

Some people are like a slinky... not good for much, but when you push them down the stairs, it makes you smile.
Go to Top of Page

ranger_of_the_unicorn_run
Learned Scribe

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2009 :  01:44:54  Show Profile Send ranger_of_the_unicorn_run a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:
Originally posted by ranger_of_the_unicorn_run

quote:
Originally posted by malchor7

In fact, wouldn't it be pretty cool to have a "good guy" who can use the shadow weave--thus combating bad guys who've got it?

Shadow Stone Spoiler:

Well, Aeron Morieth is sorta-kinda-almost a good guy with the ability to use the shadow weave. I'm not quite sure, but I think his alignment is listed as CN. However, if I am remembering the book correctly, he seemed to me to be well on the way to good by the end.

He's actually Neutral as per the FRCS (IIRC!).

I don't remember seeing an alignment listed for him in the FRCS. I can't remember where I read his alignment from, but I didn't think it was the FRCS.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000