Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2009)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 103

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2009 :  04:23:14  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
Thanks Scribes and THO.

Now I wonder where that Dumpster would be. I would go "Dumpster Diving" for some of Ed's Realmslore.

BRIMSTONE

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 24 Apr 2009 04:25:18
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2009 :  05:13:34  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Sure, sure...

We know your just looking for some Pizza crusts and a half-eaten bagel....

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Barshevy
Learned Scribe

275 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2009 :  05:58:12  Show Profile  Visit Barshevy's Homepage Send Barshevy a Private Message
I hope TSR / Wizards pays Ed for all these gems that they never use !
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2009 :  08:28:38  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
Well I have a shrink wrapped copy of Dragon 228 on the way via Noble Knight.com Plus Volo's Guides To Waterdeep, The North, and The Sword Coast.

Now if only Ed could do a Pathfinder Chronicals book or three for Paizo.

BRIMSTONE

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2009 :  12:25:51  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

Currently resisting the urge to make a few long winded observations about Spellfire (it's the novel that drew me into the Realms, but it's not without problems - not all of which can be attributed to the editors chopping large amounts out) and David Gaider (in whose defense I will say that he was bluntly expressing his opinion on a single novel, and not the entire Realms or about Ed Greenwood)... But this talk about David Gaider brings me to the topic of Neverwinter Nights 2 (yes, I know NWN2 is by Obsidian not Bioware - but it's the mental association of the two).

I just purchased Neverwinter Nights 2: Storm of Zehir, and was most interested to find that one of the major NPCs you interact with, at least at the start of the game, is the irrepressible Volothamp Geddarm. He's one of the few NPCs to be fully voiced, and his converse is rather amusing (well done whoever wrote his dialogue!)... Volo also takes on the part of the narrator, and he makes an off hand comment at the start that made me curious - apparently Elminster stopped Volo from publishing "Volo's Guide to the Behaviour of Nymphs" because it was too naughty. Now I'm pretty sure that probably wasn't the real reason, I wonder if Ed knows (or can take a guess, knowing El and Volo) what the real reason was? Or was it really just too naughty?

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2009 :  13:36:27  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message
I have a question that I'm sure one of you will be able to answer, though if Mr. Greenwood has more information on it, I'd *love* to hear it. Was the city of Lothen of the Silver Spires in the High Forest in 2nd Edition, or was it added later for 3.xE? I've been looking at my old 2nd Edition maps but I don't have any that really detail the High Forest all that well. Hmm... come to think of it, I'm sure that Markus can answer part of this too. I'm especially curious since my players and an NPC of mine recently took control of the city after cleansing it from orcs. I'm really proud of them. They did it so well! Also, was Lothen an idea of Mr. Greenwood's for 3E (provided it wasn't part of 2nd Edition)?

Also, since every edition kind of stayed away from the High Forest, are there any parts of elven lore from that area that Mr. Greenwood can share with us? Pretty please?

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document

Edited by - Penknight on 24 Apr 2009 13:38:54
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2009 :  19:13:39  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Out of curiousity, Zandilar, what year does that game take place in? It appears to be pre-plague, and yet we have Zehir...

Does it use 4th edition rules?

"Volo's Fieldguide to Nymphs"...

Maybe El was afraid Volo was going to be giving away 'trade secets'.

And Volo-style guides for Golarion would be pure WIN.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2009 :  21:24:49  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Storm of Zehir is last 3.5 expansion for NWN2.

It is pre-plague and introduces the diety Zehir attempting to gain a foothold in faerun.
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2009 :  00:15:59  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Out of curiousity, Zandilar, what year does that game take place in? It appears to be pre-plague, and yet we have Zehir...

I think it's 1374 DR, I'd have to start up the game to check (if it even says?). There's also a doomsayer that predicts the death of Mystra in the first town you come across.

quote:
Does it use 4th edition rules?

It's using the NWN2 engine (though they've done some interesting stuff with it, including allowing you to have a self-created party that can interact in conversations), so it's still the hybrid 3.5e rules (computers generally can't implement game rules fully) that was used in the OC and Mask of the Betrayer.

quote:
"Volo's Fieldguide to Nymphs"...

Hmm.. I dunno if I really want to read about Volo's romp with some nymphs. (On the other hand, if Volo was a girl... )

quote:
Maybe El was afraid Volo was going to be giving away 'trade secets'.

HA!

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2009 :  00:30:34  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Zandilar

There's also a doomsayer that predicts the death of Mystra in the first town you come across.
I guess Mystra was the only one who didn't see it coming.

quote:

Hmm.. I dunno if I really want to read about Volo's romp with some nymphs. (On the other hand, if Volo was a girl... )
I'm down with that.

Thanks for the reply (and I apologize to the mods - I should have asked her in PM).

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2009 :  14:11:38  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Penknight
Was the city of Lothen of the Silver Spires in the High Forest in 2nd Edition, or was it added later for 3.xE?
Lothen is first mentioned in print in the Dragon #228 Athalantar article discussed above.
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2009 :  15:07:43  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

quote:
Originally posted by Penknight
Was the city of Lothen of the Silver Spires in the High Forest in 2nd Edition, or was it added later for 3.xE?
Lothen is first mentioned in print in the Dragon #228 Athalantar article discussed above.

Ok, thank you!

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Longtime Lurker
Seeker

51 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2009 :  20:35:29  Show Profile  Visit Longtime Lurker's Homepage Send Longtime Lurker a Private Message
Hmmm.
Dear Lady THO and Ed,
All this talk of Volo reminds me of a rumor that was making the rounds some years back. So I thought I'd ask: is there, or is there not, an unpublished Volo story (by Ed) kept under wraps all these years because of its amusing and scatalogical nature?
Or was that just the fabrication of someone wanting to inflate Ed's "dirty minded" reputation?
Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

A Publishing Lackey
Seeker

74 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2009 :  20:59:58  Show Profile  Visit A Publishing Lackey's Homepage Send A Publishing Lackey a Private Message
Well, now. I have a similar but different request. I know Ed wrote and published at least one novel (FOOL'S MASTER) before SPELLFIRE, and a lot of short stories, but are there any other completed and professional-quality novel-length works that Ed wrote in his early years? Either published, that I've missed, or never published?
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2009 :  21:21:43  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
What I'd love to know is: are there any Wizards plans to publish another collection of Ed's Realms short stories? I loved the first one, and it had a LOT of previously-unpublished fiction.
In fact, one of my idle dreams is a poll or contest run by Wizards for "great Realms moments of the past that we'd like to see," or some such, involving Ed characters (so, none of Drizzt's or Liriel's pasts, because Bob or Elaine should write those). Then Ed would write a short story covering that moment or confrontation or big event or just the personal life of a character who right now is only a name.
I'd LOVE to read a book like that. (Hint, hint.)
BB
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2009 :  21:23:09  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Heh. Blueblade dear, in the words of Ed's now deceased father (a longtime chorister and faithful churchgoer): "Son, you're preaching to the perverted."

love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

A Publishing Lackey
Seeker

74 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2009 :  21:28:51  Show Profile  Visit A Publishing Lackey's Homepage Send A Publishing Lackey a Private Message
Perverted, eh?
So would that be, as Ed once described you sharing in such situations, "happy bouncing love"?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2009 :  21:32:57  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
It would indeed.
You HAVE been paying attention.
Which reminds me: Ed commented to me that he has now seen at least the first drafts of the six "Eddie Presents Waterdeep," and has been both delighted by them as "cracking good stories" and for their attention to Realmslore and detail.
So, happy reading ahead for all . . .
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Barshevy
Learned Scribe

275 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2009 :  01:39:24  Show Profile  Visit Barshevy's Homepage Send Barshevy a Private Message
The next six in the series?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2009 :  03:36:22  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
No, the six novels that have been scheduled or already published (so: Blackstaff Tower by Steven Schend, Mistshore by Jaleigh Johnson, Downshadow by Erik Scott de Bie, all out already, and three more that haven't yet been printed). Word is out unofficially about some of the not-yet-published titles, but I'm not sure if specifics can officially be discussed yet. Nor do I know if there will be more than six books in the series. I'd love to see a "Waterdeep jam" book with Ed and lots of other authors having a wild collaborative story, but arranging such a project seems a lot harder these days than in the elder and wackier times of TSR.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2009 :  04:28:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

I'd love to see a "Waterdeep jam" book with Ed and lots of other authors having a wild collaborative story, but arranging such a project seems a lot harder these days than in the elder and wackier times of TSR.
love,
THO

I wouldn't mind seeing something like that myself. The City of Splendors is home to such a unique mixture of themes and cultures. A collaborative undertaking would indeed be a worthwhile project -- and would, again, underline what I love most about Waterdeep.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2009 :  05:13:01  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message
I know *I* would love to revisit some of my Downshadow characters, or any of the awesome personas Ed wrote for the Waterdeep bible. [tease tease]

And the titles of the six Ed Presents Waterdeep novels are all listed in the front of Downshadow . . . but I think I'll let people check for themselves. Just one more reason to pick up a copy at the bookstore, nay?

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2009 :  05:14:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
I'm going to have to figure out how to get hired as a WotC writer, I think, because I really want to see that Waterdeep bible!

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2009 :  06:32:45  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

And the titles of the six Ed Presents Waterdeep novels are all listed in the front of Downshadow . . . but I think I'll let people check for themselves. Just one more reason to pick up a copy at the bookstore, nay?
The last time I checked, they were all pretty much listed at WotC now as well.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2009 :  06:50:15  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
I've got another question, though it's more gaming related: I read in 'Four From Cormyr', that Azoun and Fee often attend parties, where the PC's can meet them, and talk with them for a minute or so (before Vangey shoos them away). Now, a PC of mine was once a young married man, whose wife had a fling with Azoun, and died in childbirth along with her child. However, she told him that before she died. The guy went king of grief-insane, and convinced himself it was all Azoun's fault. SO in return, he decided to become an adventurer and kill Fee. He plans to bypass the peace-bond on his sword by having the wizard of the group cast 'animate rope' on it, pretend to want to talk with Fee, release the peace bond, stab her (the sword is poisoned, obviously). He really couldn't care much about escaping (I said he was kind of grief-insane).
My question is, is this possible? Could he feasibly do it? Would Vangey note there was magic on the peace-bond? If so, could he not realize it if both the scabbard and sword were also enchanted? And my PC succeeds, what would be his fate? I plan to have Fee resurrected (if she even dies), so no harm there (I wouldn't go against canon), but would that matter to Azoun? Will the fact that the guy is half-insane matter? Will his motive matter? Might it be that Azoun will understand, and decide, 'If this guy is so determined, let's make him an agent of the crown' (somewhat like Storm did in the memory in ELminster in Hell)?

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions – just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2009 :  07:17:01  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
I'm not Ed, but I'd say Vangey has at least Ironguard (Spell Compendium, p125) and Delay Poison cast on both Azoun and Fee before they attend any such party.

Storywise, I'd also put it out there that the character should succeed in the attempt (i.e. he stabs Fee), but the spells of course protect her. Then have Fee recognize him, realize the grief-induced stress of the situation and have Azoun and Fee forgive him in a scene that is 'Ed-esque' with lots of hugging by Fee, fond memories of his wife by Azoun (along with the 'she was utterly faithful to you' speech).

If that doesn't bring the character around to forgiving them and becoming a staunch king's man (or if he keeps trying to kill them), have Vangey and the other dozen war wizards in the room make a spectacular example of him to the other nobles.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2009 :  07:53:20  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

I'm not Ed, but I think I have an idea how this might go... If people want me to sit down and shut up, please tell me.

quote:
Originally posted by Menelvagor
My question is, is this possible? Could he feasibly do it? Would Vangey note there was magic on the peace-bond? If so, could he not realize it if both the scabbard and sword were also enchanted? And my PC succeeds, what would be his fate? I plan to have Fee resurrected (if she even dies), so no harm there (I wouldn't go against canon), but would that matter to Azoun? Will the fact that the guy is half-insane matter? Will his motive matter? Might it be that Azoun will understand, and decide, 'If this guy is so determined, let's make him an agent of the crown' (somewhat like Storm did in the memory in ELminster in Hell)?

From my reading of the situation, it would be impossible for the PC to kill Fee. Hurt her, yes indeed, kill her? Not very likely.

If the War Wizards haven't picked up the guy's insanity via various mind reading spells, and he manages to get close enough to strike her, the chances are Fee will have a Periapt of Proof against Poison, or some other such enchanted item or spell cast upon her designed to stop poisons from harming the wearer, on her. If she doesn't and Vangerdahast is there, the chances are that he would easily be able to produce a potion of Neutralize Poison (and of Cure X Wounds) from somewhere on his person. If he didn't have the potion on hand, then one of his War Wizards in the vicinity would, and if even they don't then a quick teleport to a temple in order to have a cleric cast Neutralize poison would do the trick.

But IF all of this falls through and Fee is instantly killed in such a way that cannot be prevented, then they wouldn't resurrect her because there are laws against any of the Obarskyrs being raised (which is the reason Tanalasta wasn't raised after she was killed in Death of the Dragon). This has something to do with preventing complications to clean succession. Unfortunately, I expect Filfaeril falls under these laws as well as Azoun and his children.

As for the PC, I'd expect he'd be captured and mind reamed forthwith. I doubt they'd kill him, except if he tried to fight back, and even then I expect they'd be more interested in who put him up to the assassination in the first place, and would try to subdue him quickly. After that, I suppose it would be up to Vangerdahast to determine the fate of the poor guy - but the chances are, after all the rough treatment of his mind he won't be up to much. So, in other words, I'd be saying to the player, "Are you really sure you want to be doing that?"! Also, the trouble is, the guy is (partially?) insane with grief, this is not a man who is going to listen to reason (at least not immediately). There's nothing in this story to suggest that the man wouldn't have another go at Fee if he got the chance, and that would likely sign his death warrant. (Oh and if Fee is killed outright, the PC is unlikely to survive the experience, IMHO.)

ETA: OOH, I forgot about Ironguard spells... So yeah, there's no way this guy would kill Fee.

I'm also less sentimental, and I think insanity should be treated seriously - this guy is insane with grief, no amount of begging for forgiveness is going to make this man forgive Azoun. He's unreasonable, and acting irrationally. This is not something that you can fix with a few hugs, IMHO.

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

Edited by - Zandilar on 26 Apr 2009 07:56:21
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2009 :  11:25:13  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
Thanks for the answers, first of all.
I don't know. When I asked him to describe his insanity, he quoted Terry Pratchett's Wyrd Sisters regarding Duke Felmet: 'Shreds of insanity surrounding, a strong, utterly determined will'. He was aware there would be spells, which was why I asked the question: I wanted to know which spells and help would be around. The PC was thinking of getting a wizard to cast some nullifying magic [what, he isn't sure yet, although from the description, I'd say he'd need a Dispel (maybe a few of them) and an anti-magic field - it would mean they'd have to drag Fee out of the shield first, by which time she might be dead]. I might give him some help from Zhentarim or Red WIzards if I feel he needs it - they'd definitely agree to it. I too, am more leaning towards the make-up option. But it'll be a bit of a problem
Just a question Ashe: Why would Fee recognize the PC? She doesn't know him (it would seem), and it was Azoun who dallied with his wife. Now, Fee might know all about Azoun's 'rides', but actually recognizing the guy seems a bit far...

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions – just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."

Edited by - Menelvagor on 26 Apr 2009 11:29:00
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2009 :  12:45:49  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

quote:
Originally posted by Menelvagor

Thanks for the answers, first of all.
I don't know. When I asked him to describe his insanity, he quoted Terry Pratchett's Wyrd Sisters regarding Duke Felmet: 'Shreds of insanity surrounding, a strong, utterly determined will'. He was aware there would be spells, which was why I asked the question: I wanted to know which spells and help would be around. The PC was thinking of getting a wizard to cast some nullifying magic [what, he isn't sure yet, although from the description, I'd say he'd need a Dispel (maybe a few of them) and an anti-magic field - it would mean they'd have to drag Fee out of the shield first, by which time she might be dead]. I might give him some help from Zhentarim or Red WIzards if I feel he needs it - they'd definitely agree to it. I too, am more leaning towards the make-up option. But it'll be a bit of a problem

In order for the nullifying spells to be cast, the Zhent or Red Wizard or whomever would have to first get past the War Wizards and Highknights who are sure to be on hand somewhere, and probably avoid the gaze of other benign protector types around (the Harpers, Alusair, Elminster in disguise, Sylune (if it's at the palace, since some of her flagstones are present within the palace, and she may well have had a tip off from Harper agents via Storm), the odd Paladin, or whoever else is present with the best interests of Cormyr/the Crown at heart)... They might even need to avoid other malevolent people who might try to stop them to their own ends. There's a reason the Zhents and/or Red Wizards have been unsuccessful in their attempts to knock off the royals (or pull other types of stunts). Getting at the Obarskyrs is just not something you wake up one day and decide to do, then get it done that same night.

Oh, also, how would this PC know what kinds of spells Filfaeril might be protected by, or is he just assuming "all of them"? I definitely would not tell the player what spells he's going to come up against unless he has a genuine in character reason for knowing... And even then, there's also a very good chance there might be one or two protective spells that are very rare or unique to Vangerdahast's spell books, which he is not going to have a hope in all the planes of knowing about. Educated guesses can only take you so far.

And since you've stated you don't really want him to succeed, well... What can I say? He's going to fail. (Don't forget, as I mentioned in my last post, that Filfaeril cannot be raised from the dead by law, so she has to survive this attempt if you don't want to stray too much from canon!)

If the PC has brought those types in, then he's toast when it's all over. I can't think of anyway he'd be saved from the executioner. Sounds like the player is about to commit character suicide by Good Guy.

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

Edited by - Zandilar on 26 Apr 2009 12:47:25
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2009 :  14:57:58  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
quote:
Getting at the Obarskyrs is just not something you wake up one day and decide to do, then get it done that same night.
Right. The plan is just much too simple: if it was so easy to kill queens it would happen far more often. It would need to be much cleverer, with several more layers, to anticipate and bypass the various physical and magical securities (including personal and local wards, item-borne protections, contingencies and more) that protect such as the Obarskyrs. Just getting a rough idea what those were would involve extensive magical observation (liable to be detected!) or bought intelligence/expertise. All this is why direct attacks on rivals are so rare in these ranks of intrigue: they're likely suicide even for archmages.

The plan would get nowhere near succeeding, and there, perhaps, the dramatic pathos would be.

On the other hand, suddenly playing up this complexity and layeredness might seem a stark change if you've not already done so in the campaign.

Edited by - Faraer on 26 Apr 2009 15:06:08
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 103 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000