Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2009)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 103

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2009 :  09:33:19  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Malcolm

Okay, I'll bite: sfdragon, what is "dragon age: stolen throne"?

a book
http://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Age-Stolen-David-Gaider/dp/0765324083

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Liliella
Acolyte

2 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2009 :  12:39:09  Show Profile  Visit Liliella's Homepage Send Liliella a Private Message
I did a search, but haven’t come up with anything as this forum isn't the easiest place to find things sometimes, so I hope these haven’t been asked previously. If they have, a nudge in the right direction would be appreciated :)

1) Are there any questions that Ed has always wanted to be asked about the Realms, and no one has ever thought to ask? And if so, what are they?

2) What are Ed’s favourite things about the Realms to detail? Is it to expand on local customs, geography, details of specific NPCs, expand on stories or anything else?

3) What is the question (or questions) that Ed has been asked which he would most like to answer, but can’t, due to NDAs or other reasons?

4) What is the most interesting or unusual Realms–based story that Ed has come across, that doesn’t come from his own campaign, or any published works?

Thanks for reading!
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2009 :  13:35:04  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

quote:

a book

More factoids: It's a novel based on a CRPG game world. The game it's based on, Dragon Age: Origins, is not due out until late this year. I believe the game has been in development since close to or soon after the release of Bioware's Neverwinter Nights. I, for one, was beginning to think it was a vapourware.

David Gaider is a developer at Bioware, who I believe wrote a good deal of text for such games as Baldur's Gate, Baldur's Gate 2, Throne of Bhaal, and Neverwinter Nights. He did some of the romance storylines in BG2 (and maybe NWN as well?), and was a great supporter of them in Bioware games in general. Will be interesting to see just how well he writes conventionally.

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2009 :  14:15:56  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Zandilar
More factoids: It's a novel based on a CRPG game world. The game it's based on, Dragon Age: Origins, is not due out until late this year. I believe the game has been in development since close to or soon after the release of Bioware's Neverwinter Nights.

Yeah, I remember discussion about it from five years back. I'm glad the game is close to being wrapped up (hopefully--they could always push the release date back).

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 22 Apr 2009 14:16:27
Go to Top of Page

Baleful Avatar
Learned Scribe

Canada
161 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2009 :  15:01:18  Show Profile  Visit Baleful Avatar's Homepage Send Baleful Avatar a Private Message
Sigh. Once again I'm away from all my game books, and my memory is failing me: I remember reading about the Mistwinters, but not WHERE I read about them. Nor do I remember reading they were wiped out, or possibly wiped out.
Help, somebody . . .
Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

kysus
Learned Scribe

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2009 :  18:11:12  Show Profile  Visit kysus's Homepage Send kysus a Private Message
The only information on them that im aware of is the cormanthyr book talks briefly about clan mistwinter on pg 115 and how dathlue mistwinter is the sole living member left and that she was the founding leader of the harpers, while the fall of myth drannor book goes on to describe her death in on of the battles. I also think there was some information about her in the code of harpers book but i could be wrong on that one. Anyway that is why i had asked my question is cause even with that information it would seem there maybe more to such a noble clan.
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2009 :  21:03:14  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
quote:

Heya,

quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

quote:

a book

More factoids: It's a novel based on a CRPG game world. The game it's based on, Dragon Age: Origins, is not due out until late this year. I believe the game has been in development since close to or soon after the release of Bioware's Neverwinter Nights. I, for one, was beginning to think it was a vapourware.

David Gaider is a developer at Bioware, who I believe wrote a good deal of text for such games as Baldur's Gate, Baldur's Gate 2, Throne of Bhaal, and Neverwinter Nights. He did some of the romance storylines in BG2 (and maybe NWN as well?), and was a great supporter of them in Bioware games in general. Will be interesting to see just how well he writes conventionally.

the book is out now, and the game will be later this year

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2009 :  21:08:11  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Edit: I thought I had already asked this, but I just went back a few pages and it doesn't seem I ever did (I must be having one of those 'senior moments'), so I may as well ask in this post (mainly because I've been doing more talking then question-asking )

Have there been any famous 'Earthers' in the Realms? I've noticed characters from several other worlds (Krynn, Lankhmar, Oerth, etc..), but none from Earth (aside form Ed himself, of course ). I was just wondering if there was any 'Thomas Covenant' type travellers on Toril (or 'Conneticut Yankee', if you prefer).

quote:
Originally posted by Liliella

I did a search, but haven’t come up with anything as this forum isn't the easiest place to find things sometimes, so I hope these haven’t been asked previously. If they have, a nudge in the right direction would be appreciated :)

1) Are there any questions that Ed has always wanted to be asked about the Realms, and no one has ever thought to ask? And if so, what are they? <snip>
I asked this about a year ago, but I don't recall if I got an answer or not. You're 3rd query is related, but different enough form me to be very interested in that answer as well. I'd also love to hear his answer #4, but I'm not so sure that it would be 'PC' for him to do so ('unusual' can be taken so many ways).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 23 Apr 2009 00:05:06
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2009 :  22:17:45  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message
That's a really good question, Markus.

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2009 :  22:53:20  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

This is also something I see that newer Realms sources have lacked for quite some time - whereas before every nook and cranny was filled with 'Red Slippers' for us to wonder about, now it seems everything NOT pertinent to the story at hand is lost in editing. Although I'm talking primarilly about sourcebooks, I feel some novels have suffered as well.

It's a shame, really, because it is that 'excessive verbiage' which makes the world seem so real to so many of us.

Not to hijack Ed's thread or anything (a momentous task, and one that involves serious chastening by our Lady THO [meow!]), but this is something that I also find important: the slipping of non-/seemingly non-pertinent details into books that bring the setting alive.

To an extent, I think all books need to do that in order to succeed in constructing a fantasy world (and all authors try to varying extents). But the tiny historical or social or cultural notes have been important to Realms books for a long time, and I don't see them going away. At least, in my own writing, they are extremely important (and I managed to slip a veritable sea of small references and bits and pieces into Downshadow that I don't think detract from the plot at all--in fact, IMO, they only make it better).

There is a line to be drawn, of course, to stop us writers from just reveling in the setting and ignoring the demands of the story we're telling--i.e., get to the point in good time. So clearly some forethought/editing is indeed necessary.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2009 :  23:44:26  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
Re David Gaider: I wouldn't publicize the work of a man who's blatantly insulted Ed's writing on Ed's own thread.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2009 :  00:24:04  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
I find that people who criticize Ed's writing don't 'get' Ed's writing.

The timing couldn't be more perfect for this response, especially right after Erik's commentary (and thank you for that - I did use the word 'some' when referencing the novels ).

Ed, like Dennis McKiernan, strives to fill your 'peripheral vision', as well as where your eyes are focused. You may be looking at the small hamlet of Gillian's Hill, but you 'see' Daggerford, just up the road. You 'know' Waterdeep lies just beyond. You are aware of the Lands of Intrigue to the south, and the unforgiving vastness of The North.

You may be looking a something right in front of you, but you are fully aware of the world around it at all times.

To be honest, I didn't fully enjoy Ed's writing until I got to know the Realms, and then once I did, I went back and re-read everything and enjoyed it all the more.

When you are writing a one-shot, or even a single trilogy, you can afford to concentrate on just the action, but readers of a grander, more-developed setting (often shared) expect a 'panaramic view', as it were. History doesn't happen inside a bubble - it evolves through interaction with the cultures and geography around it. Thats how real worlds work, and thats how fantastic ones should.

So when I read about Gillian's Hill, or wherever, I don't want to read just read about the heroes, I want to hear about 'Granny Sweetwater' and 'Old-man Jonson'. I could care less if it helps the story or not - I want to know if she put-out a fresh pie on her windowsill, or if Jonson is still chasing those kids out of his cornfield.

Otherwise, those heroes just become cardboard cut-outs against a two-dimensional backdrop. How can I care about what the heroes are doing, if I don't know who they are doing it all for?

Just my two cents.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 23 Apr 2009 03:59:47
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2009 :  01:54:14  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

Re David Gaider: I wouldn't publicize the work of a man who's blatantly insulted Ed's writing on Ed's own thread.

Oh really? I don't recall ever reading such here, but that doesn't mean it isn't there. Still...

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I find that people who criticize Ed's writing don't 'get' Ed's writing.

I have always admired his work with the Realms, but I haven't (and still don't) always appreciated his writing.

I'd go on a longer spiel about the things I haven't liked about Ed's writing, but I suspect I've already gone through some of that on these threads before (such as the lack of page time dedicated to the titular character in Elminster's Daughter).

I just really wanted to point out that, one can respect Ed without necessarily liking everything he writes.

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2009 :  02:06:44  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:

I just really wanted to point out that, one can respect Ed without necessarily liking everything he writes.

I agree, but I do recall Gaider's criticism of Ed's writing and I'm not sure if I'd say it was respectful in tone (and that's coming from someone who has enjoyed the work of both writers).

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2009 :  02:32:33  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
http://forums.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=353237&forum=84&sp=30

Not respectful, civil, or professional in the least. Or criticism.
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2009 :  03:23:11  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

http://forums.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=353237&forum=84&sp=30

Not respectful, civil, or professional in the least. Or criticism.

I believe this discussion, valid though it may be, belongs in another thread.

That being said, I don't see anything wrong with liking an author's work no matter what he may or may not have done. The day I start evaluating works of art based on what I think of their creator, I'll just stop thinking altogether and mainline Survivor shows.

And while I have nothing but the warmest regard for Ed as a person (his attitude towards fans and the unpaid time he's willing to dedicate to questions speak very highly of him in that respect) and greatly enjoy his creation, the Forgotten Realms, I have to say that I found Spellfire to be among the worst fantasy works I've ever read. For much the same reasons cited by Gaider.

Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2009 :  04:09:57  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Right.

And as I have said, I only became a fan of Ed's writing when I became more knowledgable about the Realms. Not that I hadn't enjoyed it before, but I wouldn't have counted myself a 'Fan' either.

I think that particualr style - the 'fleshing out' of the world around the characters, have been handled adeptly by some (Robert Silverberg jumps to mind, as does the incredible Jack Vance), while it has been 'overdone' by others (I couldn't even make it through Gormenghast).

It is something one must get used to, I think, and as I get older, I find myself more drawn to that type of 'deep fantasy' then to the pulpy kind (although both are excellent in their own right).

In fact, I would consider RAS a 'pulpy' author, and yet I have read every one of his FR novels - thats not something I can say about any other FR author. Sometimes you just want a good hack'N'slash.

Anyhow, I digress... suffice it to say that Ed is an aquired taste, but once you grow to appreciate it's subtle nuances and flavor, you appreciate it all the more. Some books are meant to be read, whle others are meant to be savored.

Edited by - Markustay on 23 Apr 2009 17:08:14
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2009 :  05:56:16  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Folks, I think we can shift the discussion about appreciating Ed's writing to another scroll.

Let's leave this specifically for questions to Ed, eh?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Barshevy
Learned Scribe

275 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2009 :  06:04:52  Show Profile  Visit Barshevy's Homepage Send Barshevy a Private Message
I'm going to go back and read Spellfire. I remember it as a fun book, and I'm a bit confused regarding the animosity towards it.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2009 :  07:45:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
I just found this question, floating in the ethers...

quote:
Originally posted by prespos

Hi Ed, it's John from TO (remem me from Brookbanks?). Hope Mike is doing OK. (Of course, hope you're doing OK too!)

Was just about to drink some VSOP and get around to flogging the henchwoman into doing my taxes (you'd be surprised at the motivation that a rolled up copy of Dragon 48 can inspire), when my thoughts turned to food.

Yet,of a sudden, I got the munchies, and my thoughts turned to food:

spitted oxen
spitted boar
pies of stewed eels,
squabs baked in clay,
roasted pumpkins stuffed with onions and sausage,
honey-soaked sweetmeats,
stews [cauldrons?] of fresh and dried fish and fruits.

do you know where in Ontario one might be able to find any of these snacks? I checked M&M meats, but no luck there. [brownie points to anyone who can source the list]

if anyone else is able to answer this Q (even for your own province, state, etc.), that would be of interest as well.

thanks, and bon appetit!

prespos
modheaven7@gmail.com

it's better to be a carnivore and drink lots of red wine,
than to be a vegetarian and be eaten by carnivores
(i am so tempted to attribute this quote to Peter Steele, but after the foreign editions thread (please, don't ask), I really have to be careful with what I type).

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2009 :  07:58:34  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Barshevy

I'm going to go back and read Spellfire. I remember it as a fun book, and I'm a bit confused regarding the animosity towards it.

You might also want to spend some time reading through Ed's previous replies to questions about the both the content and the writing of the Spellfire novel itself. They make for interesting reading.

Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2009 :  16:03:11  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Very good point, Sage. I don't want to go on talking about SPELLFIRE, but Ed has said publicly more than once that no one has ever seen the book he wrote, only various "heavy edits" of it. It was cut (by other hands) by almost two-thirds, and rewritten (not by Ed). With that said, I was astonished, a few years back, to read Gaider's comments; that's VERY unprofessional, when the company you work for, and on whose boards you're commenting (identifying yourself in your posts as a company designer), has licensed a property.
Imagine the fan furor that would have resulted if the first thing Peter Jackson had said, when word spread that he was going to do THE LORD OF THE RINGS, was that Tolkien got it all wrong and he was going to fix it and do much better.
I've read the first Gaider novel, and I found it to be a fast-moving adventure, with some good characterization and some "I know big words, see?" passages of overwriting. In short, a better-than-average first novel.
I'd guess that Ed will probably find a politer way to say much the same thing, because he's Ed - - but I shouldn't put words into his mouth. After all, he's done all or a share of, what, 160-plus books now? He's probably learned how to probably speak for himself . . .
BB
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2009 :  16:14:32  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Very well said, Blueblade.
One other facet of the entire SPELLFIRE affair that always seems to get neglected and overlooked is that Ed was asked to write the book for a specific purpose: "show us the Realms."
In other words, it was always intended to introduce LOTS of characters and locales, without necessary having a central plot that resolves. It was a specific writing assignment, not a "write us a story." That a complete change in the management of the Books Department (between Ed being given the assignment and the book being delivered) meant got viewed very differently from what it was intended to be.
And as what Ed was asked to do, even in the seriously shortened version that first got published, it succeeds admirably: it throws tons of vivid characters, places, and Realms details (of food, washing up, jargon, et al) at the reader.
Though Ed still winces, almost every time he sees a copy. Sigh.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2009 :  16:31:10  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message
Please let Mr. Greenwood know that I was introduced into his writing by Spellfire, but my personal favorite of his so far is Elminster in Myth Drannor. I always try to run Myth Drannor (well, I should say when I used to run my Arcane Age campaign) the way that he showed it to us in that novel. The sights, sounds, and the wonders. My players have always enjoyed that part. I guess I get my love of describing that city of legend from reading his own words on it. I always read it, put it to the side, and try to picture it in my own mind. Truly, it's one of his best in my opinion.

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2009 :  17:16:10  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
I was fortunate enough to read Spellfire only recently, and it was the newer edition that Ed was able to 'patch' to the best of his ability (although still not the original novel, I have to assume it reads much better then the version I never got to see).

Great Yarn, and a perfect example of what I was talking about above - Ed's 'world-building' style. Its also the perfect introduction to the Realms - how a small party of fairly weak characters can accomplish great things.

Thats what the Realms has always been about.
It's a setting built from the ground-up to go adventuring in.

Edited by - Markustay on 23 Apr 2009 17:16:39
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2009 :  23:43:25  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
I recently read Elminster Making of the Mage. Boy would I love to have a map of that area at that time. Those Magelords really got my attention.

So Sage do you have a list of the Magelords around by chance?

I am going to start El in Myth Drannor tonight at work.

BRIMSTONE

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2009 :  23:51:56  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

I recently read Elminster Making of the Mage. Boy would I love to have a map of that area at that time. Those Magelords really got my attention.

BRIMSTONE

I thought there was a map in Ed's Athalantar article in Dragon #228. That article also contained the Magelords. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 23 Apr 2009 23:52:21
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2009 :  00:41:27  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
No map, but a description of Athalantar and the surrounding environs at the time is more then adequate to picture how things were.

Also a VERY comprehensive list of Magelords was includied, with backgrounds, physical descriptions, etc, etc...

Ed never disappoints.

I just double-checked (you threw me when you mentioned a map) - fortunately that mag is never more 12" or so from my fingertips. It really is a must-have issue.

Edited by - Markustay on 24 Apr 2009 00:44:40
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2009 :  00:48:06  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

BRIMSTONE

I thought there was a map in Ed's Athalantar article in Dragon #228. That article also contained the Magelords. :)

Hmmm... I don't recall any maps for Athalantar being published.

The DRAGON #228 article and the entry for Athalantar in Lost Empires of Faerûn [pg. 88] provide some details on how the nation was geographically situated. It should be enough for you to plot a rough map of the Kingdom of the Stag.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2009 :  01:55:38  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Ed drew a very detailed map of Athalantar, at the request of TSR, and sent it in. It was, of course, never published, and remains their copyrighted property (whether or not it ended up in the dumpsters, when TSR was shut down), so Ed can't distribute it now.
Sigh.
However, from memory I can tell you: Hastarl occupied the site of present-day Secomber, the river effectively formed the southern border of Athalantar (and had much the same location and meanderings as it does "today"), but the High Forest hadn't been cut back nearly as much, then, and extended long fingers down almost to the river's edge in the east, and so as to almost divide the realm into segments, west of that.
Ed is still scrambling to get back atop his paid writing commitments and real-world obligations (such as his taxes), but promises a return just as soon as he can.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 103 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000