Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Elven word for "deer"?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Aquanova
Seeker

USA
63 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2008 :  22:17:22  Show Profile  Visit Aquanova's Homepage Send Aquanova a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
By the gods, it's been forever since I last visited Candlekeep.

So I looked all around the web for an elven (hell, even a Tolkien elvish) word for "deer/stag/cervine," and found nothing.

I ask because I'm conceiving things for a homebrew setting, and I really loved the idea of a tauric elf/fey that's half elf/half-deer. Because language building is so darned hard I just plan on taking using FR elves (including their language) and porting them in, and I wanted something I could plug into "___'Tel Quessir."

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2008 :  22:31:26  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-There isn't a Faerūnian Elven term for 'Deer' (Or any other derivative thereof: Stag, Doe, etc.) that has been "made public" to us, sorry.

-You could use the catch-all term previously used for the Sharn, Fhaorn’Quessir, which translates as 'Transformed People'.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 22 Dec 2008 22:33:01
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2008 :  03:21:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's kinda like the hybsil, detailed in Monsters of Faerūn -- except the hybsil is a bit smaller and is part antelope. It is something already in existing Realmslore, though.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Aquanova
Seeker

USA
63 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2008 :  05:48:26  Show Profile  Visit Aquanova's Homepage Send Aquanova a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dagnirion

-There isn't a Faerūnian Elven term for 'Deer' (Or any other derivative thereof: Stag, Doe, etc.) that has been "made public" to us, sorry.

-You could use the catch-all term previously used for the Sharn, Fhaorn’Quessir, which translates as 'Transformed People'.

Yeah, I looked over Candlekeep's own compendium of elven words, but the closest I could find desirable would be "Vandor Tel'Quessir," and even then that's pretty vague.
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

That's kinda like the hybsil, detailed in Monsters of Faerūn -- except the hybsil is a bit smaller and is part antelope. It is something already in existing Realmslore, though.

Yeah, I knew about them, but they're kinda tiny. I was picturing something a bit more majestic.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2008 :  06:26:39  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Yeah, 'People of the Woods' sounds nice, but isn't very descriptive.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

dwarvenranger
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2008 :  16:06:53  Show Profile  Visit dwarvenranger's Homepage Send dwarvenranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dinner

If I waited till I knew what I was doing, I'd never get anything done.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2008 :  16:33:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aquanova

quote:
Originally posted by Dagnirion

Yeah, I looked over Candlekeep's own compendium of elven words, but the closest I could find desirable would be "Vandor Tel'Quessir," and even then that's pretty vague.
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Yeah, I knew about them, but they're kinda tiny. I was picturing something a bit more majestic.

You could make them half-elf, half-hybsil (and hybsil are a type of fey). That way you'd have the size, and still have the basic body type.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2008 :  17:21:00  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And in the RW, crossbreeds actually tend to be larger then either parent, so that works perfectly.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Aquanova
Seeker

USA
63 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2008 :  20:55:24  Show Profile  Visit Aquanova's Homepage Send Aquanova a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Could work... fluff it so they're say, whitetail deer instead of antelope; and since deer are smaller than horses, a cervine centaur would be smaller than an equine one....

...now I just need a nice name for them.... Maybe I'll just go the lazy route and go "Aras Tel'Quessir," using the Middle-Earth elvish word for "deer." It seems legit for Faerun elven.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2008 :  21:10:18  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Savage Species has the template for Tauric creatures.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Ionik Knight
Learned Scribe

USA
222 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2008 :  21:12:20  Show Profile  Visit Ionik Knight's Homepage Send Ionik Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've done some checking and cannot find the Candlekeep Elven Dictionary. I'm embarrassed to ask, but could someone give me link?

Fools to right of them,
Jesters to left of them,
Clowns in front of them
Pun'd and parody'd.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2008 :  21:21:18  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-HERE's the dictionary. Note that I haven't sent Alaundo an update in a while, and I do have a bit of new stuff.

-HERE's the list of Elven Names, too, for good measure. Same as above, with the updating.

Elves of Faerūn

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 23 Dec 2008 21:22:20
Go to Top of Page

Ionik Knight
Learned Scribe

USA
222 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2008 :  22:00:06  Show Profile  Visit Ionik Knight's Homepage Send Ionik Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Dagni

Fools to right of them,
Jesters to left of them,
Clowns in front of them
Pun'd and parody'd.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page