Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Elven word for "deer"?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Aquanova Posted - 22 Dec 2008 : 22:17:22
By the gods, it's been forever since I last visited Candlekeep.

So I looked all around the web for an elven (hell, even a Tolkien elvish) word for "deer/stag/cervine," and found nothing.

I ask because I'm conceiving things for a homebrew setting, and I really loved the idea of a tauric elf/fey that's half elf/half-deer. Because language building is so darned hard I just plan on taking using FR elves (including their language) and porting them in, and I wanted something I could plug into "___'Tel Quessir."
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Ionik Knight Posted - 23 Dec 2008 : 22:00:06
Thanks Dagni
Lord Karsus Posted - 23 Dec 2008 : 21:21:18
-HERE's the dictionary. Note that I haven't sent Alaundo an update in a while, and I do have a bit of new stuff.

-HERE's the list of Elven Names, too, for good measure. Same as above, with the updating.
Ionik Knight Posted - 23 Dec 2008 : 21:12:20
I've done some checking and cannot find the Candlekeep Elven Dictionary. I'm embarrassed to ask, but could someone give me link?
Lord Karsus Posted - 23 Dec 2008 : 21:10:18
-Savage Species has the template for Tauric creatures.
Aquanova Posted - 23 Dec 2008 : 20:55:24
Could work... fluff it so they're say, whitetail deer instead of antelope; and since deer are smaller than horses, a cervine centaur would be smaller than an equine one....

...now I just need a nice name for them.... Maybe I'll just go the lazy route and go "Aras Tel'Quessir," using the Middle-Earth elvish word for "deer." It seems legit for Faerun elven.
Markustay Posted - 23 Dec 2008 : 17:21:00
And in the RW, crossbreeds actually tend to be larger then either parent, so that works perfectly.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 23 Dec 2008 : 16:33:13
quote:
Originally posted by Aquanova

quote:
Originally posted by Dagnirion

-There isn't a Faerūnian Elven term for 'Deer' (Or any other derivative thereof: Stag, Doe, etc.) that has been "made public" to us, sorry.

-You could use the catch-all term previously used for the Sharn, Fhaorn’Quessir, which translates as 'Transformed People'.

Yeah, I looked over Candlekeep's own compendium of elven words, but the closest I could find desirable would be "Vandor Tel'Quessir," and even then that's pretty vague.
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

That's kinda like the hybsil, detailed in Monsters of Faerūn -- except the hybsil is a bit smaller and is part antelope. It is something already in existing Realmslore, though.

Yeah, I knew about them, but they're kinda tiny. I was picturing something a bit more majestic.

You could make them half-elf, half-hybsil (and hybsil are a type of fey). That way you'd have the size, and still have the basic body type.
dwarvenranger Posted - 23 Dec 2008 : 16:06:53
Dinner
Lord Karsus Posted - 23 Dec 2008 : 06:26:39
-Yeah, 'People of the Woods' sounds nice, but isn't very descriptive.
Aquanova Posted - 23 Dec 2008 : 05:48:26
quote:
Originally posted by Dagnirion

-There isn't a Faerūnian Elven term for 'Deer' (Or any other derivative thereof: Stag, Doe, etc.) that has been "made public" to us, sorry.

-You could use the catch-all term previously used for the Sharn, Fhaorn’Quessir, which translates as 'Transformed People'.

Yeah, I looked over Candlekeep's own compendium of elven words, but the closest I could find desirable would be "Vandor Tel'Quessir," and even then that's pretty vague.
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

That's kinda like the hybsil, detailed in Monsters of Faerūn -- except the hybsil is a bit smaller and is part antelope. It is something already in existing Realmslore, though.

Yeah, I knew about them, but they're kinda tiny. I was picturing something a bit more majestic.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 23 Dec 2008 : 03:21:40
Lord Karsus Posted - 22 Dec 2008 : 22:31:26

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000