Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Advice on choosing a module...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lokah
Acolyte

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2008 :  23:19:25  Show Profile  Visit Lokah's Homepage Send Lokah a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hey there, i'm fairly new to DM-ing (i've only done 2 modules and one campaign with my group) so i need a little advice, mainly on how to choose which module to move onto next. I'd make my own up, but i dont feel confident enough just yet :)

Basically, right now my group is in Ravenloft (doing the Touch of Death module to be exact) and theyre almost finished it. I want to take them somewhere totally different next, perhaps somewhere arctic so they'll have to consider more than just wandering and killing, like keeping warm and such.
Does anyone know the names of any campaigns/modules i could try?

I've done Sword Of The Dales and they got kinda bored of it after a while :)

On a side note, anyone have any advice on keeping your Players "in the game" so to speak?
My group has a habit of, at very bad moments such as mid-fight, going off on a conversation about what so-and-so did last week and movies and such, leaving me sitting there waiting for them to shut up. Telling them off doesnt work, they just carry on. I think i need to shock them into taking it a bit more seriously... like kill one of their characters (by accident obviously...)

Annnnyway any advice anyone has would be awesome!

dwarvenranger
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2008 :  02:00:05  Show Profile  Visit dwarvenranger's Homepage Send dwarvenranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Silver Marches supplement has a couple of adventures in it that could easily have weather, via the included weather charts, become an important issue. There are also plenty of ideas in that book for making your own adventures IMO.
As for players, just keep playing, but maybe throw a curve ball at them now and then, to keep them on their toes. When their character ends up lost or doing the wrong thing cause they wern't paying attention they'll tend to focus on the game more. But also perhaps you should let them take breaks if they feel the need to discuss out of game topics or reward those who only focus on the game while playing.

If I waited till I knew what I was doing, I'd never get anything done.

Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2008 :  02:21:52  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found a module set from Sword & Sorcery called Nature's Fury- 1. Sword through the Ice Gate and 2. The Crystal Tower. They're intended for 4 or 5 PCs of around 4th or 5th level - 22-26 total character levels, but I think it could be modified for higher levels. They have exactly what you're talking about in dealing with the elements AND the second one has a bit of a time element too. I haven't had a chance to run them, but I think I would enjoy them.

As far as keeping players on task, I'd give them fair warning that I was going ahead with the game and that I wasn't going to repeat anything. Then, when they trigger a trap that kills half the party, maybe they'll get the message. (Then again, I'm evil so you might not be as harsh as me .)

Anyone who likes to read something that's really dark and gritty and completely awesome ought to read The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks. You can check out a little taste at www.BrentWeeks.com I should probably warn you, though, that it is definitely not PG-13 :-D

He also started a new Trilogy with Black Prism, which may even surpass the Night Angel Trilogy in its awesomeness.

Edited by - Brynweir on 17 Dec 2008 02:30:49
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2008 :  02:44:47  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really can't offer any advice on which module would be best for you to run...I don't know much about you and your group.

I can suggest a few things on players that like to chat in the middle of a fight though:

Keep track of the order that the characters operate in, and the bad guys too. When it is a characters turn, if they want to talk just ask "Do you guys want to take a break here?" If they do, just tell them five minutes, and then you can do some stuff while they chat. If they don't want to take a break tell the player to go or forfeit their turn.

It could be that you have a group of folks that aren't really into playing D&D. While that is hard to deal with, it does happen. Ask them if they are really into playing...if they aren't, then try to find folks that are.

If they seem bored very often, it may be your fault. Not attacking you...in fact you may be running an awesome game; but for the wrong crowd. If you don't know what the players are really into, it doesn't matter how awesome a DM you may be. Find out the sorts of things their CHARACTER would be into. Really make them think about their character, and then they will be more interested in the game. Like I said, not saying you are doing anything wrong; but a DM and his gaming group are kinda like a boyfriend/girlfriend relationship: if you don't know what they want, it won't work no matter how great it seems at first.

You could have scheduled breaks. When the players start chatting, just remind them that the next break is in "X" amount of time. If that isn't good enough for them, take a break anyway and just keep track of where you were.

Have a social time before the game even starts. Let the players know that you have a cool session planned and you want to get all the talking done so everyone can stay in character. I used to do this myself: have a few drinks set out, everyone set around and chat for a while and eat some chips or whatever, maybe even watch a short movie or tv show; then everyone got around the table and we got into playing.

Those are just a few things. If all else fails, you can just tell someone else to DM and YOU can be the player.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2008 :  02:50:21  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Pathfinder modules wouldn't take too much effort to translate to the Realms. As a player I'm just at the end of the second module (Skinsaw Murders or some such) and having a BLAST playing through it. Nice mix of roleplaying opportunities and lots of combat and skill check situations.

The Open Design modules by Wolfgang Baur are great. You can still get the Tales of Zobek series and Ed is one of the contributors.

As for keeping your players attention on the game... give them a reason to. You have to tailor the gameplay style to what they like. Some folks like more hack and slash, some folks like story driven games, etc. I find that when I have a player base that likes a different style of game than I do, if I change things up to entertain them, they pay more attention and have more fun, which makes the whole thing more fun for me in the end.

I hope Tymora smiles on your gaming table, whatever your choice.

Edited by - AlorinDawn on 17 Dec 2008 02:52:07
Go to Top of Page

Ionik Knight
Learned Scribe

USA
222 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2008 :  03:04:01  Show Profile  Visit Ionik Knight's Homepage Send Ionik Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you can find or download Against the Giants you can update it from first edition and have a rolicking adventure. The part where you go up against the frost giants should have plenty of cold weather. Frostburn is the supplement for cold weather stuff.
Finally, I find an egg time makes a pretty good threat. If they really won't get a move on start skipping their turns as their character's "freeze in combat" or "dither in indecisiveness." After the monsters start getting free combat turns the players should get a little more focused.

Fools to right of them,
Jesters to left of them,
Clowns in front of them
Pun'd and parody'd.
Go to Top of Page

Lokah
Acolyte

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2008 :  11:52:02  Show Profile  Visit Lokah's Homepage Send Lokah a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys, ill keep those modules in mind and see if i can get them :)
As for my players, ill try what you said about skipping their turns when they get too distracted, if that doesnt work i think ill have to sit them down and ask them if they seriously wanna play... Which is sad cause i love playing and those were the only of my friends who wanted to play :( but well see. If this isnt resolved ill be back to whine more no doubt :)
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2008 :  00:43:13  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AlorinDawn

The Pathfinder modules wouldn't take too much effort to translate to the Realms. As a player I'm just at the end of the second module (Skinsaw Murders or some such) and having a BLAST playing through it. Nice mix of roleplaying opportunities and lots of combat and skill check situations.

The Open Design modules by Wolfgang Baur are great. You can still get the Tales of Zobek series and Ed is one of the contributors.

As for keeping your players attention on the game... give them a reason to. You have to tailor the gameplay style to what they like. Some folks like more hack and slash, some folks like story driven games, etc. I find that when I have a player base that likes a different style of game than I do, if I change things up to entertain them, they pay more attention and have more fun, which makes the whole thing more fun for me in the end.

I hope Tymora smiles on your gaming table, whatever your choice.

I second this -- Pathfinder/Golarion is the "new" Realms for me. The adventures are really good, and contain some of the best maps and art ever seen in RPGs. Most of the Pathfinder modules have some kind of "twists" to their plot -- occasionally involving unique aspects of Golarion. Still, they're mostly story/plot-driven adventures that should not be too hard to convert to FR.

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2008 :  15:26:28  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To echo what some folks have been saying - I'm using the Pathfinder beta rules for my campaign. It's set in 1340.

As for keeping them on task - I don't recommend skipping them. It's not a great idea to start agitating your friends/players, even though you are getting frustrated.

Just calmly and deliberately make eye contact with the player who's turn it is and ask them their action. Then get the attention of the next person. KEEP IT MOVING and as you keep pulling 1 person out of the conversation at a time, it'll get them focused. Make your combats a little deadlier. Don't kill people for chatting, but if their character is on the line, it'll keep their attention. Use a larger number of opponents, but not so many that it gets you distracted or slowed in running, that's counter to your goal. But, if you can get a larger number of opponents, you can start letting some of them slip off the battle mat and reappear elsewhere - sort of a fog of war effect. If the combat REQUIRES more attention, it'll get more attention.

-C
Go to Top of Page

Thrasymachus
Learned Scribe

195 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2008 :  02:43:20  Show Profile Send Thrasymachus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You can find some free old edition modules here. I am recommeding these oldies knowing you would have to update them. You may find updating a module will give you your sea legs to create your own, which it sounds is where you are going towards.
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/downloads

Keeping the players from getting distracted could be lot's of things, but what worked for our group was
(1) Have a set start time that everyone can rely on. Then set aside an hour prior for people to catchup and shoot the breeze. For our group it was the one time a week to get together, so people wanted to catchup. Those that didn't want to could just show up on time.
(2) Consider taking a step back and asking what the players want more of, less of, why. Start with just a single player, and work your way through the group. There's something that brings them back to the game table and good to know what it is.

I would caution you away from killing a character to get their attention. It's like spanking a baby with an axe, and really only enforcing what seems to be icking you. If they don't care about the character in combat, your killing it off (and players know when you do this more often than you think) just cheapens the value of it.

Good luck

Former Forgotten Realms brand manager Jim Butler: "Everything that bears the Forgotten Realms logo is considered canon".

Edited by - Thrasymachus on 22 Dec 2008 02:46:27
Go to Top of Page

ErskineF
Learned Scribe

USA
330 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2008 :  04:49:24  Show Profile  Visit ErskineF's Homepage Send ErskineF a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lokah

I want to take them somewhere totally different next, perhaps somewhere arctic so they'll have to consider more than just wandering and killing, like keeping warm and such.

You might enjoy running The Dead of Winter, then, especially since it's free. I ran a modified version of it several years ago, and placed it north of Longsaddle. Instead of orcs, I used the Uthgardt barbarians of Griffon's Nest.

quote:
I've done Sword Of The Dales and they got kinda bored of it after a while :)

I had pretty good success with that adventure, but I can see why some groups might find it boring. It is very linear, and doesn't give the players much leeway. I wrote up a synopsis and review of it for my website the other night, something I had been meaning to do for years and just now got around to.

quote:
On a side note, anyone have any advice on keeping your Players "in the game" so to speak? My group has a habit of, at very bad moments such as mid-fight, going off on a conversation about what so-and-so did last week

That's very typical, and I wouldn't take it as a reflection on your DMing style. Part of the fun of the game is the social interaction, so there has to be some room for that. If people are there to play, though, it can't be allowed to take over the game. There are lots of ways to deal with it when it does, from telling them bluntly to shut up to standing there quietly with a bemused expression on your face until they're ready to proceed. It just depends on what sort of relationship you have with them. Part of the problem may be that they view the game as something you want to do more than they do, so they feel like they can set the terms. If that's the case, I recommend looking for players outside your circle of friends, people whose main reason for being there will be because they want to game.

Mod edit: Fixed the URL coding.

--
Erskine Fincher
http://forgotten-realms.wandering-dwarf.com/index.php

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 23 Dec 2008 06:39:05
Go to Top of Page

Gang Falconhand
Seeker

United Kingdom
85 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2008 :  14:09:47  Show Profile  Visit Gang Falconhand's Homepage Send Gang Falconhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I find that the point where most "non-play chatter" takes place is where the fewest people are engaged in the game. This is often during particularly long and complicated combats. It may be that your group is a little too large for those players to deal with and the gap between their turns is too long and beyond their attention span. Try introducing a house rule where everyone has to take their turn very quickly when their initiative place comes around, suggesting they use the rest of the time deciding what they're going to do so that they don't lose their turn.

"If you have a quality let it define you."
Go to Top of Page

Laerrigan
Learned Scribe

USA
195 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2009 :  06:17:20  Show Profile  Visit Laerrigan's Homepage Send Laerrigan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The goals and interests of the players are most definitely a big factor in how you handle the game. Do your players only get so badly distracted during combat, but are focused on the game during other times? If so, that's a big signal to really hold back on combat in the games. It will happen here and there, of course, even in an urban mystery story in Sigil, but keep it de-emphasized. If you're not yet comfortable with hacking apart a module in order to tailor it, and the module involves more combat than your players might like, then adjust the number of opponents downward, or make some "coincidence" happen (as realistically as possible) so the PCs win (or lose, and remember that losing a battle doesn't have to mean they die) more quickly and they can get on to more non-combat fun/danger. The greatest dangers and toughest challenges don't always come from a zombie horde or a spell-blasting evil wizard.

Personally, I can't say how much I hate frequent combat, unless the environment/atmosphere is light enough to allow plenty of RP beyond, "I, uh...cast magic missile, and pull out a healing potion to use next round. Oh yeah, and I holler at Dor to look out for that ghast behind him." Unfortunately for players like me, and for relatively new DMs trying to run a low-combat campaign, it takes work and some painful twists of creativity to keep combat from being too frequent or too long in some cases (though Ravenloft and Planescape have some great alternatives).

If your players would like less combat and more IC socializing or thought in order to engage them (and if they're anything like me, having to take bad weather into account won't be any more interesting than extended combat), Ravenloft is an excellent setting for that, though you might need to go beyond the things laid out in some modules (I haven't run the one you mentioned). Have fun giving the NPCs depth, and let the players pick apart mysteries, build relationships with NPCs, and make assumptions that prove to be dangerously false. Good ol' House on Gryphon Hill (free download) is a great mod for that, and doesn't have to end as told in the adventure, but it does require a good deal of preparation and record-keeping (and flexibility helps). The Book of Crypts contains some potentially-interesting Ravenloft mini-adventures that involve misdirection, false assumptions, mystery, suspicions, and moral choices much more than combat. I've really come to enjoy Ravenloft for those reasons, and I'm only just beginning to dig into it---feel free to PM me

"Your 'reality,' sir, is lies and balderdash, and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever." (Baron Munchausen)
"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was not made for this world." (C.S. Lewis, "Surprised by Joy")
Go to Top of Page

dwarvenranger
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2009 :  17:27:46  Show Profile  Visit dwarvenranger's Homepage Send dwarvenranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps you could convert the Icewind Dale or Icewind Dale II CPRGs into adventures. That'd be pretty cool.

If I waited till I knew what I was doing, I'd never get anything done.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000