Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 2E Sword of Sharpness
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2008 :  22:22:25  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I would like to some help interpreting the 2E DMG. Under magical weapons the description of the "Sword of Sharpness" reads as follows:

quote:
"Sword of Sharpness: This weapon is treated as +3 or better for purposes of who or what can be hit by it, even though it gets only a +1 bonus to attack and damage rolls. Its power is great, however, for on a very high attack roll, it will sever an extremity—arm, leg, neck, tail, tentacle, whatever (but not head) determined by random dice roll:

Opponent is..............Modified score to sever*
normal/armored.........................19-21
larger than man-sized..................20-21
Solid metal or stone.....................21
* Considering only the sword's bonus of +1."

I do not understand the first line. Could someone offer an explanation? Also, how have other DMs administered this weapon in the Realms?

Many thanks,

Afet bint Tuzaní

"As the good Archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself."
- Danilo Thann in Elfsong by Elaine Cunningham

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2008 :  23:19:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Afetbinttuzani

"Sword of Sharpness: This weapon is treated as +3 or better for purposes of who or what can be hit by it, even though it gets only a +1 bonus to attack and damage rolls.

I assume this is the line you don't understand... Certain critters have immunity to lesser weapons (DR in 3.x terms, I guess). Some of these critters could only be hit by +3 weapons -- so the sword of sharpness would hit them. However, the sword is a +1 weapon, not a +3 weapon.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2008 :  23:44:44  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Afetbinttuzani

"Sword of Sharpness: This weapon is treated as +3 or better for purposes of who or what can be hit by it, even though it gets only a +1 bonus to attack and damage rolls.

I assume this is the line you don't understand... Certain critters have immunity to lesser weapons (DR in 3.x terms, I guess). Some of these critters could only be hit by +3 weapons -- so the sword of sharpness would hit them. However, the sword is a +1 weapon, not a +3 weapon.

That could be it. There aren't many such critters, though. A quick look in the 2E Monstrous Manual tells me that the only a Pit Fiend Baatezu, an Iron Golem, a Pheonix and a Tanar'ri can only be hit but a +3 magical weapon.
Thanks Wooly

Afet bint Tuzaní

"As the good Archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself."
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2008 :  00:55:13  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's definitely what it means.
Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2008 :  01:09:17  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

That's definitely what it means.

Great. Thanks guys.

Afet bint Tuzaní

Go to Top of Page

dwarvenranger
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2008 :  01:23:44  Show Profile  Visit dwarvenranger's Homepage Send dwarvenranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As an aside, has anyone seen a 3rd/3.5 ed conversion for the Sword of Sharpness?

If I waited till I knew what I was doing, I'd never get anything done.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2008 :  02:20:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dwarvenranger

As an aside, has anyone seen a 3rd/3.5 ed conversion for the Sword of Sharpness?

I'd imagine that it'd be pretty easy... Just make "sharpness" a weapon property, and say that it overcomes a certain amount of DR -- but still only causes normal damage.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2008 :  02:35:39  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I'd imagine that it'd be pretty easy... Just make "sharpness" a weapon property, and say that it overcomes a certain amount of DR -- but still only causes normal damage.

-That sounds right. I'd make it a +1 Bonus (+2,000 GP in cost), and it acts as if it were a +3 weapon, in terms of bypassing Damage Reductions. I'd make a further synergy bonus (a la Magic Item Compendium) that enhances this to a +5.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerűn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerűn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2008 :  05:02:32  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Didn't the old v.3.0 version of "Surestriking" do exactly that?

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2008 :  05:33:34  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I keep thinking that it should be a synergy ability with the Maiming ability in the Magic Item Compendium. But I can't think of any type of spell that would sever limbs that may produce the effect in a weapon.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

dwarvenranger
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2008 :  19:52:16  Show Profile  Visit dwarvenranger's Homepage Send dwarvenranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I get the DR bit easy enough, just wondering about the severing of a random limb. Probably could just roll a d4 and see I guess.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2008 :  20:18:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dwarvenranger

I get the DR bit easy enough, just wondering about the severing of a random limb. Probably could just roll a d4 and see I guess.

Maybe make it an increased chance of a crit, with the crit causing the severing?

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2008 :  20:46:49  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's why I was looking at it being a synergy ability off Maiming. The Maiming ability adds extra +Xd6 damage (x being the Crit Multiplier - 1) on a successful critical hit. Sharpness seems to be a step between Maiming and Vorpal.

The difficulty is that the rules don't really support damage that permanent disables a foe. Either it's a lot of cuts that can be healed or instant death (Vorpal). Since there's no (official) critical hit locations for 3.5, you'd have to see what third party partners may have for hit locations (I know the Open Content from Unearthed Arcana doesn't).

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

dwarvenranger
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2008 :  21:44:44  Show Profile  Visit dwarvenranger's Homepage Send dwarvenranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well Paizo has their critical hit deck which has some interesting opportunities. But I think that the best bet is to have it automatically overcome DR, and then on a nat 20, to roll a d4 (d6 if creature has wings and a tail), kinda like the vorpal ability. What do you think? Sound like a +4 (slashing weapon only) ability?

Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2009 :  21:12:41  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, essentially the sword of sharpness was a "lesser" version of a vorpal blade. It just didn't cut the head off, but extremities. No 3,xE item that I know of deal like damage - and "maiming" will hardly have as terrifying effects on say a barbarian or fighter in 3E as a sword of sharpness would have. Of course, low HD creatures and characters will be terrified, but they are also terrified by any greatsword coming near them. If somesuch is converted, one needs to balance the effect accordingly. Mind you, going by the 3.xE (and most likely 4E too) rules there is so far no "front" and "back" of a character and hence a shield tied to ones back would (by the rules) not provide any sort of shield bonus to a character attacked from this direction. (It does in my games, of course.)

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gćđ a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerűn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

Artemel
Learned Scribe

USA
110 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2009 :  22:25:45  Show Profile  Visit Artemel's Homepage Send Artemel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd make a sword of sharpness a step between wounding and vorpal.

+4 modifier, slashing weapon only.

On a natural 20 threat, a confirmed critical removes an appendage (chosen at random). Creatures with appendages, but immunity to criticals thru type, are still subject to the limb loss, though that may not hinder them much (ie, losing an arm simply means the skeleton attacks less frequently).

Also, against opponents who lose a limb and are subject to criticals, they take 1d4+1 Con damage. (This way the damage scales and even high level opponents fear the weapon.)

Sound feasible?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000