Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Do you use Double Weapons?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Ionik Knight
Learned Scribe

USA
222 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2008 :  13:20:16  Show Profile  Visit Ionik Knight's Homepage Send Ionik Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Poll Question:
Do you use Double Weapons other than staves? (ie Double-Axe, Two-Bladed Sword)

Choices:

Yes
No
Not allowed in the campaign
One in each hand!

(Anonymous Vote)

Fools to right of them,
Jesters to left of them,
Clowns in front of them
Pun'd and parody'd.

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2008 :  13:38:08  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting. It's not that I don't like the idea of double weapons, I just prefer the traditional ones.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2008 :  15:53:53  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've considered it a few times, even in video games like NWN and Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, but I always end up using two separate weapons.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2008 :  16:21:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Timoth Eyesbright used a double sword... I'd not use one, though. Two weapons are easier.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

dwarvenranger
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2008 :  16:29:38  Show Profile  Visit dwarvenranger's Homepage Send dwarvenranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Roryn Darkfell (my dwarven ranger) uses a spear as a double weapon by using the Haft Strike feat out of Dragon Compendium if the DM doesn't allow it normally. Although I've found most do.
Funny thing is that in NWN when you fight with a spear (or any polearm for that matter) it looks like you're using both ends even though you don't get the extra attack.

If I waited till I knew what I was doing, I'd never get anything done.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2008 :  16:34:35  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-I've always felt that the rules for Two-Weapon Fighting (especially at lower levels) were annoying to the point that it is just easier to stick with more traditional weapons, wielded in a more traditional manner.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Ghost King
Learned Scribe

USA
253 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2008 :  17:08:23  Show Profile  Visit Ghost King's Homepage Send Ghost King a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've used double weapons before, but usually stick with sword and shield or duel wielding two seperate weapons due to the fact its more common practice.
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2008 :  18:59:02  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As much as I like double weapons, since they are exotic weapons I have a hard time taking the extra proficiency feat on top of the two-weapon fighting feats to make it useful. At some point I need to make a fighter to see how well it works.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Stout Heart
Learned Scribe

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2008 :  20:00:47  Show Profile  Visit Stout Heart's Homepage Send Stout Heart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I tired the double axe but I just cant get it down for the life of me so I opted for a two handed axe rather then lose my head at my own hands.
Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2008 :  21:30:18  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, one in each hand...
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2008 :  23:13:10  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

I've considered it a few times, even in video games like NWN and Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, but I always end up using two separate weapons.

The double-bladed lightsaber was indeed appealing, wasn't it?

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2008 :  23:41:28  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes and why not? That said, I have yet to come across a player who would touch that orcis double-headed waraxe-thing which cannot be sensibly wielded.

But twinblade, quarterstaff, chain-and-dagger et al? Why not?

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gęš a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerūn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2008 :  02:46:26  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

-I would have wanted the blaster-and-lightsabre combo myself.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2008 :  03:14:18  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As dwarvenrager said above, I've had a fighter use a spear as a double weapon. It is the one that makes the most sense:

Set versus attack
Reach
Extra attack with the bronze capped end (my guy was based on a Greek Hoplite)

Worked really well. We didn't even determine that it was an exotic weapon because almost everyone that knows how to use a spear also knows how to use a staff. The only thing I had to do was take the two-weapon fighting feat and such to improve.

The only drawback I encountered was if my weapon was sundered, I was then without a weapon; so a Quiver of Ehlonna came in handy! Also, in 3.5; both ends of the weapon had to be enchanted...so even though I had a spear +3, the butt end had no plus; but we did house rule that it was considered a magical weapon...for all the good it did me!

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2008 :  03:37:02  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I typically use two separate blades, one short and one long, and not a double-bladed one, though I could see myself using a double-bladed staff.

Anyone who likes to read something that's really dark and gritty and completely awesome ought to read The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks. You can check out a little taste at www.BrentWeeks.com I should probably warn you, though, that it is definitely not PG-13 :-D

He also started a new Trilogy with Black Prism, which may even surpass the Night Angel Trilogy in its awesomeness.

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2008 :  03:45:34  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, outside of quarterstaves and double crossbows, no I do not use them, or even like them.

double edged weapons on the other hand....

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2008 :  09:42:02  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
BTW, I never got my head around the line of (designer) thought that drow need to wield twinblades and spiked-chains. While these weapons are clearly as exotic as the drow, why would a race that is used to fight in limited spaces (Underdark tunnels and caverns, even inter House wars) use such large, ungainly and heavy weaponry? They would be - by default - masters of weapon finesse, expert rogues, swashbucklers and duelist ... perhaps with a touch of the mysterious hexblade and/or the evermoving and silent scout.

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gęš a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerūn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.

Edited by - Zanan on 17 Dec 2008 09:42:52
Go to Top of Page

Ghost King
Learned Scribe

USA
253 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2008 :  10:16:35  Show Profile  Visit Ghost King's Homepage Send Ghost King a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zanan

BTW, I never got my head around the line of (designer) thought that drow need to wield twinblades and spiked-chains. While these weapons are clearly as exotic as the drow, why would a race that is used to fight in limited spaces (Underdark tunnels and caverns, even inter House wars) use such large, ungainly and heavy weaponry? They would be - by default - masters of weapon finesse, expert rogues, swashbucklers and duelist ... perhaps with a touch of the mysterious hexblade and/or the evermoving and silent scout.

That puzzled me as well, I could see the surface drow possibly using such weapons, but again I say most would stick with the most common fighting styles they are used to using in the Underdark. And considering all the standard weapons you listed excel in any location above or below ground, it would be a rare sight to see a drow period use double weapons, or any other race for that matter.

To be honest, I always thought drow would use rapier or short sword with a whip. Why a whip you ask? 1) To whip slaves 2) To disarm opponents before closing distance and 3) If you need an improvised rope to swing across a pit trap or small gap what better than a whip!

But that's just how I see them.

~Ghost King~
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2008 :  13:42:04  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

I was tempted, but the problem was that with the double-bladed lightsaber, you could upgrade it with crystals as a single weapon only, while with two separate lightsabers, I could upgrade each individually (which allowed for more force power and/or stat boosting crystals which benefitted my Sith Lord character more)

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2008 :  15:24:10  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Come on, those weapons were included in 3E to appeal to people who thought they were 'cool'. No one seriously thought they were credible in a relatively realist setting like the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2008 :  16:41:33  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Nothing is particularly realist when you have magical weapons. Snake-headed whips, for example.

Elves of Faerūn

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 17 Dec 2008 16:42:40
Go to Top of Page

ranger_of_the_unicorn_run
Learned Scribe

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2008 :  17:06:34  Show Profile Send ranger_of_the_unicorn_run a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just don't find them that appealing. I'm a much bigger fan of playing a ranger who fights with two weapons, usually two swords but sometimes a sword and an axe or some other combination.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2008 :  17:25:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ranger_of_the_unicorn_run

I just don't find them that appealing. I'm a much bigger fan of playing a ranger who fights with two weapons, usually two swords but sometimes a sword and an axe or some other combination.

Ditto that. Other than a brief "Oh, hey, that looks cool!", I've never considered using any exotic weapons for my characters. I've had a lot of characters favor the rapier over the standard longsword, but that's about it. One character used a katana, but he was a kensai, so it was appropriate. Another used a bastard sword, but he was a minotaur -- I figured someone heavily muscled and standing over seven feet tall would want a bigger blade.

I've always favored two weapons for one reason: not being a fencer or anything, I wonder what the off-hand is doing. So if it's not a two-handed weapon, then the off-hand has either a shield (only occasionally) or a smaller blade.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 17 Dec 2008 17:27:09
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2008 :  17:38:56  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Certain Exotic Weapons are a different story, considering whether or not I'd use them, as opposed to Double Weapons. With those, it depends on the weapon itself. Because of it's ability to be able to be used single- or double-handed, the Bastard Sword is a favorite of mine (only if I have a Human or Fighter, however, to buy the feat). For Elven characters, now that I have Races of the Wild, I like the Elven weapons presented there within.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2008 :  18:04:34  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had a fella that wanted to play a "Samurai" turned Bushi/Ranger in my campaign once. His use of Katana and Wakizashi was an exotic twist in our Forgotten Realms. A ranger with a Daikyu (sp?) was pretty cool too.

Essentially, the character's background was he was the last of his family...not doomed to death by his own hand simply because he was a child when his family was defeated in battle; something like that. He had served as a mercenary in Shou Lung after leaving Kozakura and eventually made his way to Rashemen in a Caravan...and there began to learn about being a Ranger.

He was a nice character...but the game fell apart rather quickly so it never got to be fleshed out very much.

I may play that character idea myself sometime...

Sorry for the thread hijack...I seem to be doing that alot lately.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2008 :  20:13:35  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On occasion.

Too bad there's no option for that.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

dwarvenranger
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2008 :  21:26:13  Show Profile  Visit dwarvenranger's Homepage Send dwarvenranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Even if I play a sword and board fighter, I'm still gonna use the shield as a second weapon. I see no reason not to. It's just sitting on my arm, I might as well use it to bash as often as practical. If any of you get the chance to go to a Society for Creative Anachronism (SCA) event, I'd recommend it. It really gives you a feel of how the the fighting went as well as uses and limitations of various type of weapons and shields.

If I waited till I knew what I was doing, I'd never get anything done.

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2008 :  21:27:18  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dwarvenranger

Even if I play a sword and board fighter, I'm still gonna use the shield as a second weapon. I see no reason not to. It's just sitting on my arm, I might as well use it to bash as often as practical. If any of you get the chance to go to a Society for Creative Anachronism (SCA) event, I'd recommend it. It really gives you a feel of how the the fighting went as well as uses and limitations of various type of weapons and shields.

AYE! I was in the SCA for a good while...and my shield was one of my best weapons!

Go to Top of Page

Nerfed2Hell
Senior Scribe

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2008 :  21:39:28  Show Profile  Visit Nerfed2Hell's Homepage Send Nerfed2Hell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A two-bladed sword just seems really inconvenient/awkward to carry around.

Some people are like a slinky... not good for much, but when you push them down the stairs, it makes you smile.
Go to Top of Page

Ghost King
Learned Scribe

USA
253 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2008 :  23:41:30  Show Profile  Visit Ghost King's Homepage Send Ghost King a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nerfed2Hell

A two-bladed sword just seems really inconvenient/awkward to carry around.

So true, Nerfed. The only character that I made that wielded a double weapon had it crafted so he could split both the swords on each end into two longswords and carry them either on his back or on his belt. Then he could combine them to make it a double weapon or just use both blades in each hand with the usual two-weapon fighting style. Just depended on the occasion, of course, that character used all kinds of weapons for a variety of reasons or certain situations.

*Shrug* But I would say sword (or axe/hammer/mace) and sheild are the most reliable fighting styles. However, two-handed weapons can be most devestating offensively but if someone is ever put on the defensive wielding such a weapon it usually means their end.

~Ghost King~
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2008 :  08:00:26  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dagnirion

-I've always felt that the rules for Two-Weapon Fighting (especially at lower levels) were annoying to the point that it is just easier to stick with more traditional weapons, wielded in a more traditional manner.

I agree with you there... I personally think that the penalties for two-weapon fighting are excessive, after having discussed the issue with several members of the SCA who practice the style. I also think that weapon weights for many of the heavier weapons, especially the heavier bludgeoning weapons and many of the two-handed weapons, are unrealistically heavy. If anyone else out there has wielded a period-accurate greatsword or heavy mace, I suspect they will agree with me. They're heavy, but it's mostly size and balance that makes them unwieldy in one hand rather than weight... but I digress.

In our group, the basic penalties for two-weapon fighting are -4/-6, not -6/-10. Ambidexterity (which still exists) accomplishes the same thing as having a light off-hand weapon; in short, it allows you to treat a one-handed off-hand weapon as a light weapon. Two-Weapon Fighting alone reduces the penalties to -2/-4. Ambidexterity or a light off-hand weapon reduces the off-hand penalty by 2, to -2/-2 when combined with Two-Weapon Fighting. Greater Two-Weapon Fighting reduces the penalties to 0/-2, or 0/0 with Ambidexterity or a light off-hand weapon. Ambidexterity also allows you to apply your full Strength modifier to attack and damage rolls with your "off" hand, and using a two-handed weapon allows you to apply double your Strength modifier to damage rolls as long as you are proficient with the weapon. Using a one-handed weapon with two hands only allows 1.5 Strength modifier for damage, because the weapon is not designed to be used two-handed... unless you are a size smaller than the weapon is designed for, as in the case of a halfling or gnome wielding a longsword.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000