Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Do you use Double Weapons?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Pandora
Learned Scribe

Germany
305 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2008 :  13:32:36  Show Profile  Visit Pandora's Homepage Send Pandora a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zanan

BTW, I never got my head around the line of (designer) thought that drow need to wield twinblades and spiked-chains. While these weapons are clearly as exotic as the drow, why would a race that is used to fight in limited spaces (Underdark tunnels and caverns, even inter House wars) use such large, ungainly and heavy weaponry? They would be - by default - masters of weapon finesse, expert rogues, swashbucklers and duelist ... perhaps with a touch of the mysterious hexblade and/or the evermoving and silent scout.

There isnt only the problem of weapon chain being "large" (although you can hit around the corner with it), but it is also a pretty loud weapon and doesnt fit the "silent drow image". It would work for shock troopers who dont care about noise though, because it can also be used as a climbing aid if you are really skilled.

The spear has pretty weak combat statistics IMO, because it should be pretty easy to use compared to other weapons. Swinging a sword is probably a lot more tiresome than just thrusting your spear forward and back - like a billiard queue. The game statistics have been like that for many editions and no one really dared to adjust them much.

If you cant say what youre meaning,
you can never mean what youre saying.

- Centauri Minister of Intelligence, Babylon 5
Go to Top of Page

Ionik Knight
Learned Scribe

USA
222 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2008 :  15:29:30  Show Profile  Visit Ionik Knight's Homepage Send Ionik Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The spear has pretty weak combat statistics IMO, because it should be pretty easy to use compared to other weapons. Swinging a sword is probably a lot more tiresome than just thrusting your spear forward and back - like a billiard queue. The game statistics have been like that for many editions and no one really dared to adjust them much.

The spear is not really used that way. In formation it's the mass of the unit marching forward (and holding it up in the proper position is a real muscle builder) that does the trick.
In solo combat it is used much more dynamically: to parry, to trip, to feint. Any one using it with as a billiard queue will be dead meat.
I think the sword is one of the easiest to use weapons (that and the club); I believe that's why it has been so popular through the ages.

Fools to right of them,
Jesters to left of them,
Clowns in front of them
Pun'd and parody'd.
Go to Top of Page

Darkhund
Acolyte

34 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2008 :  19:17:30  Show Profile  Visit Darkhund's Homepage Send Darkhund a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its also easier to make a sword, than most other weapons, so thats another reason for common use.
Go to Top of Page

yargarth
Seeker

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2008 :  06:50:43  Show Profile  Visit yargarth's Homepage Send yargarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
its all about unarmed. easy to make and use :p

"You take a step, then another. That's the journey. But to take a step with your eyes open is not a journey at all, it's a remaking of your own mind."

-Orson Scott Card
Ender in Exile
Go to Top of Page

Ionik Knight
Learned Scribe

USA
222 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2008 :  01:32:00  Show Profile  Visit Ionik Knight's Homepage Send Ionik Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by yargarth

Fools to right of them,
Jesters to left of them,
Clowns in front of them
Pun'd and parody'd.
Go to Top of Page

dwarvenranger
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2008 :  01:42:25  Show Profile  Visit dwarvenranger's Homepage Send dwarvenranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Until the first time you run into something you really don't want to touch .

If I waited till I knew what I was doing, I'd never get anything done.

Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2008 :  01:49:15  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

How about take and use? Cause I was playing opposite a character who could have taken my arms off and beaten me to death with them - as I teased about on more than one occasion . Not the smartest thing to do, but .

And not to stray too far from the topic, I would like to try that crazy orcish double-headed waraxe-thing just once, even if it's not sensible.

Okay - what I'd really like to try is a Ronin double bladed throwing knife, but that's neither here nor there .

Anyone who likes to read something that's really dark and gritty and completely awesome ought to read The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks. You can check out a little taste at www.BrentWeeks.com I should probably warn you, though, that it is definitely not PG-13 :-D

He also started a new Trilogy with Black Prism, which may even surpass the Night Angel Trilogy in its awesomeness.

Go to Top of Page

yargarth
Seeker

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2008 :  05:51:44  Show Profile  Visit yargarth's Homepage Send yargarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dwarvenranger

quote:

Until the first time you run into something you really don't want to touch .

thats why gloves were invented.

"You take a step, then another. That's the journey. But to take a step with your eyes open is not a journey at all, it's a remaking of your own mind."

-Orson Scott Card
Ender in Exile
Go to Top of Page

GoCeraf
Learned Scribe

147 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2008 :  06:42:31  Show Profile  Visit GoCeraf's Homepage Send GoCeraf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Had a DM who threw a marilith with three two-bladed swords at us.

That... ah... that was intense.

Being sarcastic can be more telling than simply telling.
Go to Top of Page

ranger_of_the_unicorn_run
Learned Scribe

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2008 :  20:35:04  Show Profile Send ranger_of_the_unicorn_run a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GoCeraf

Had a DM who threw a marilith with three two-bladed swords at us.

That... ah... that was intense.

I just can't picture how it is physically possible for her to use all of the swords at once without getting her weapons all in a tangle...
Go to Top of Page

GoCeraf
Learned Scribe

147 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2008 :  20:44:40  Show Profile  Visit GoCeraf's Homepage Send GoCeraf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1 2
1 2
3 3

Where each pair of numbers denotes one weapon. The marilith used one weapon in the middle and upper right arms, one in the middle and upper left arms, and one in the lower right and left arms.

I raised the same question. To be honest, I'd my six arms being tangled if I used a weapon in each (and got my tail in there from time to time).

In fact, the marilith was a modified version of the one in the Silver Skeleton adventure by Wizards. We took her out by dropping a tower on her.

Being sarcastic can be more telling than simply telling.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2008 :  20:59:38  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

quote:
Originally posted by Dagnirion

-I've always felt that the rules for Two-Weapon Fighting (especially at lower levels) were annoying to the point that it is just easier to stick with more traditional weapons, wielded in a more traditional manner.

I agree with you there... I personally think that the penalties for two-weapon fighting are excessive, after having discussed the issue with several members of the SCA who practice the style. I also think that weapon weights for many of the heavier weapons, especially the heavier bludgeoning weapons and many of the two-handed weapons, are unrealistically heavy. If anyone else out there has wielded a period-accurate greatsword or heavy mace, I suspect they will agree with me. They're heavy, but it's mostly size and balance that makes them unwieldy in one hand rather than weight... but I digress.

In our group, the basic penalties for two-weapon fighting are -4/-6, not -6/-10. Ambidexterity (which still exists) accomplishes the same thing as having a light off-hand weapon; in short, it allows you to treat a one-handed off-hand weapon as a light weapon. Two-Weapon Fighting alone reduces the penalties to -2/-4. Ambidexterity or a light off-hand weapon reduces the off-hand penalty by 2, to -2/-2 when combined with Two-Weapon Fighting. Greater Two-Weapon Fighting reduces the penalties to 0/-2, or 0/0 with Ambidexterity or a light off-hand weapon. Ambidexterity also allows you to apply your full Strength modifier to attack and damage rolls with your "off" hand, and using a two-handed weapon allows you to apply double your Strength modifier to damage rolls as long as you are proficient with the weapon. Using a one-handed weapon with two hands only allows 1.5 Strength modifier for damage, because the weapon is not designed to be used two-handed... unless you are a size smaller than the weapon is designed for, as in the case of a halfling or gnome wielding a longsword.

-Unless you are a Fighter, or have some other way of gaining the abilities of the Two-Weapon Fighting feats, there's plenty of other feats that are probably more important than T-W F.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2008 :  18:10:55  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of course I use them, I try to make my FR game as close to anime-style as possible considering me and my friends are huge anime dorks. Huge weapons, exotic weapons, description of acrobatic stunts and maneuvers made by 5th-level characters normally impossible by anyone IRL...where's the fun without all of that?

Though, I think double weapons are pointless if you don't house rule that both ends deal x1 1/2 Strength bonus. I've always thought it was dumb that if you used both ends, you only receive normal Strength and half Strength for each side, respectively. I changed it to x 1 1/2 Strength bonus for both sides to make it worth doing over TWF.
Go to Top of Page

Nerfed2Hell
Senior Scribe

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2008 :  19:03:19  Show Profile  Visit Nerfed2Hell's Homepage Send Nerfed2Hell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

-Unless you are a Fighter, or have some other way of gaining the abilities of the Two-Weapon Fighting feats, there's plenty of other feats that are probably more important than T-W F.

Probably... but when making characters, I rarely think about what's important and focus on what I think would make the characters interesting.

Some people are like a slinky... not good for much, but when you push them down the stairs, it makes you smile.
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2008 :  18:21:13  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

dwarvenranger
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2008 :  19:42:45  Show Profile  Visit dwarvenranger's Homepage Send dwarvenranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nerfed2Hell

quote:

Probably... but when making characters, I rarely think about what's important and focus on what I think would make the characters interesting.

I would say that you are then focusing on what's important . After all, it's not the feats that make a character, it's their story.

If I waited till I knew what I was doing, I'd never get anything done.

Go to Top of Page

Ghost King
Learned Scribe

USA
253 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2009 :  23:07:52  Show Profile  Visit Ghost King's Homepage Send Ghost King a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

I would say that you are then focusing on what's important . After all, it's not the feats that make a character, it's their story.

Completely agree.

~Ghost King~
Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2009 :  23:12:45  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

But the feats do help fill in story gaps or help flesh out a character's story. There was an article in Dragon Magazine some years back that actually presented that idea in full detail, it was really well written and developed article.
Go to Top of Page

Nerfed2Hell
Senior Scribe

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2009 :  23:30:40  Show Profile  Visit Nerfed2Hell's Homepage Send Nerfed2Hell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They can definitely help fill in story gaps... and if you use them that way, then you make characters like I do. I've dealt with the min/max type players though that discount feats altogether as useless waste because there are better feats availble. They usually ended up just making different variations of the same character whether they thought so or not.

Some people are like a slinky... not good for much, but when you push them down the stairs, it makes you smile.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000