Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Scribes of Candlekeep?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2008 :  23:38:30  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Is there a list somewhere - I'm talking IG, not RW.

What I really need is the name of the Illithid and anything that we have on him, but I was wondering if there was a comprehensive list somewhere, that perhaps would include a few other 'oddities' that have graced those hallowed halls.

A source for the Illithid would be great too - Thanks, Mark.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2008 :  01:16:39  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's are the NPC's I've found in the old material.

Dreppin, 0th, Male Human, TN, Stablemaster at Candlekeep, Dragon #255

Winthrop, 0th, Male Human, NG, Owner of The Candlekeep Inn in Candlekeep, Dragon #255

Jonril Narod, 5th Cleric, Male Human, NG, Oghma, Leader of the Temple of Oghma in Candlekeep, Dragon #255

Fourth Reader Shaynara Tullastar, 11th Cleric, Female Human, TN, Oghma, Researcher at Candlekeep. Member of the Moonstars, Cloak & Dagger

First Reader Tethtoril, 18th Cleric, Male Human, LG, Mystra, Scribe of Candlekeep. Protected by Mystra, Oghma, and Deneir, Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast

Reever, 4th Fighter, Male Dwarf, CG, A guard at Candlekeep, Dragon #255

Hull, 4th Fighter, Male Human, A guard at Candlekeep, Dragon #255

Fuller, 4th, Male Human, A guard at Candlekeep, Dragon #255

Abdel Adrian, 7th Fighter, Male Human, CN, Bhaalspawn. Raised in Candlekeep, Dragon #262

Miirym, "The Sentinel Wyrm", Was a Female Silver Dragon, Guardian force that protects Candlekeep, Dragon #247

Imoen, 1st Thief, Female Human, NG, Resides in Candlekeep, Dragon #255

Druhzalar, 6th Wizard, Male Human, CN, Renegade wizard that worked with the scholars of Candlekeep, Marco Volo: Journey

Phyldia, 7th Wizard, Female Human, CG, A sage at Candlekeep, Dragon #255

Firebeard Elvenhair, 8th Wizard, Male Human, NG, Makes trips up and down the Sword Coast for books to bring to Candlekeep, Dragon #255

Keeper of Tomes Ulraunt, 9th Wizard, Male Human, LN, Head of Candlekeep, Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast

But a list of people that visit Candlekeep? I don't think you'll find such a detailed list.....

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 03 Dec 2008 01:19:36
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2008 :  01:30:37  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What illithid?

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2008 :  01:38:10  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

But a list of people that visit Candlekeep? I don't think you'll find such a detailed list.....
I'm thinking this would make an interesting question for Ed. He may be able to provide a brief "random listing" of select individuals [which haven't been referenced in the Realmslore] who frequent the halls from time to time -- based on his past notes.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 03 Dec 2008 01:41:15
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2008 :  02:04:01  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was thinking that as well. :)

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

What illithid?

-- George Krashos

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2008 :  02:04:32  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed it would. Someone, not me, should go ask...... Grin!

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

I'm thinking this would make an interesting question for Ed. He may be able to provide a brief "random listing" of select individuals [which haven't been referenced in the Realmslore] who frequent the halls from time to time -- based on his past notes.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2008 :  03:10:08  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, I was looking for scribes, not visitors (or Seekers, or whatever they are called).

No Illithid?

Now why did I think I read about an Illithid at CK?

Does anyone know of ANY good (or at least neutral) Illithids in the Realms?

I remember something to this effect from TWO different readings, so I couldn't have dreamed both... or could I?

Now I'm VERY confused.

P.S. - you're also missing Athol, right off the top of my head (from Evermeet: Isle of Elves).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 03 Dec 2008 03:12:21
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2008 :  03:19:32  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I listed the scribes that are in the old material, least from source books. I didn't reference novels cause those npc's were stated.

However, there is that good, or neutral, aligned mind flayer in Skullport. :)

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

No, I was looking for scribes, not visitors (or Seekers, or whatever they are called).

No Illithid?

Now why did I think I read about an Illithid at CK?

I remember something to this effect from TWO different readings, so I couldn't have dreamed both... or could I?

Now I'm VERY confused.

P.S. - you're also missing Athol, right off the top of my head (from Evermeet: Isle of Elves).

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2008 :  03:32:04  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

However, there is that good, or neutral, aligned mind flayer in Skullport. :)
LN -- Sangalor of the Secrets.

There's also that LN dwarf/illithid NPC from Drizzt Do'Urden's Guide to the Underdark -- Cernd Shattermind, as I recall.

Edited by - The Sage on 03 Dec 2008 03:35:31
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2008 :  03:44:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are also some scribes mentioned in Ed's An Introduction to Candlekeep.

How did Sage and Kuje not think of that source?

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2008 :  04:17:59  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Unless I've gone completely nuts, I know I've read - on TWO different occassions - about an Illithid, who I remember being from candlekeep, but I may be mistaken and it could have been another noteworthy 'bastion of learning', like the Herald's Holdfast or some-such.

This is making me crazy... especially since neither GK or Sage knows what I'm talking about (making me doubt my sanity ATM).

It may have been a novel - one that I re-read - anyone know of any canon cameo's of Candlekeep in novels or short stories?

Unless I'm imagining it, he (it?) was a scholar, and was so taken-in by the wonders of human knowledge that he fore-swore his brain-eating habits and now resides at the keep.

I tried Googling it, and it appears that some Illithids had something to do with CK as part of a quest for the BG games, but otherwise nada. The only other thing I can think of is an anthology, comic, Dragon article, or online resource (WotC, since I believe it was canon info).

Edited by - Markustay on 03 Dec 2008 04:20:34
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2008 :  04:50:35  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Drat...I wanted to be "the one" to find it. But, I was looking though a few books, and couldn't find anything. The closest I found was Qooql, from Champions of Ruin, but he doesn't fit the criteria.

-I vaguely recall something of a Mind Flayer that, in it's quest for understanding the culture of non-Mind Flayers, has given up eating brains. It was also missing a tentacle or two, I believe. I think it appeared in a sidebar, and in a 3e era product. I checked the FRCS, Champions of Valor, and Champions of Ruin. None had anything...

-You aren't insane, though I am note sure if this rogue individual was in any way related to Candlekeep.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 03 Dec 2008 05:18:45
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2008 :  04:58:06  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

This is making me crazy... especially since neither GK or Sage knows what I'm talking about (making me doubt my sanity ATM).
It's not ringing any bells at the moment. Though, I do recall Steven Schend including a Memoirs of an Illithid-Human Crossbreed tome in his "Candlekeep Collection" article over at WotC. Maybe that's what you're thinking of?
quote:
Unless I'm imagining it, he (it?) was a scholar, and was so taken-in by the wonders of human knowledge that he fore-swore his brain-eating habits and now resides at the keep.

I tried Googling it, and it appears that some Illithids had something to do with CK as part of a quest for the BG games, but otherwise nada. The only other thing I can think of is an anthology, comic, Dragon article, or online resource (WotC, since I believe it was canon info).
You're going to make me delve into my archives, aren't you?

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2008 :  06:31:03  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Keeper of Tomes Ulraunt, 9th Wizard, Male Human, LN, Head of Candlekeep, Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast

Like many other things, Ulraunt was updated in the Anuaroch: Empire of Shade adventure. He's still male, human and Keeper of the Tomes, but now he's Lawful Good, Halruaan and a Diviner 7/Loremaster 3.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Amarel Derakanor
Seeker

97 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2008 :  10:16:15  Show Profile Send Amarel Derakanor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

[quote]Originally posted by Kuje

Isn't that list from the Baldur's Gate game? I'm quite sure it is, and that would render it non-canon, unfortunately (I treat it pretty much as 'canon' in my Realms, however).

[EDIT] I just spotted that you have Dragon references after each NPC. Which is interesting. Very interesting. It would seem as if something from the great old game got 'canonised', even while they declared the books canon in its place.

Edited by - Amarel Derakanor on 03 Dec 2008 10:19:30
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2008 :  13:48:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Amarel_Derakanor

quote:

Isn't that list from the Baldur's Gate game? I'm quite sure it is, and that would render it non-canon, unfortunately (I treat it pretty much as 'canon' in my Realms, however).

[EDIT] I just spotted that you have Dragon references after each NPC. Which is interesting. Very interesting. It would seem as if something from the great old game got 'canonised', even while they declared the books canon in its place.

I looked thru the Baldur's Gate game manual last night (I stumbled across a pdf of it a couple years back). There's only a couple names in there from Candlekeep, and they're all detailed elsewhere.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2008 :  15:47:54  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Markus I think you are crazy anyway. Thats all I got for this scroll, so I will stop derailing this scroll now.

BRIMSTONE

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2008 :  17:08:50  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to narrow this down to novels I read, I think.

My memory is rather hazy (obviously), but I recall reading this a LONG time ago, when I wasn't even an 'FR fanboy'. I'm in the process of re-reading all my older FR novels, now with years of FR knowledge under my belt, and picking out all the juicy lore.

This is when I cam upon this tidbit again, I think. It was probably around six months to a year ago, so now all I got to do is narrow the list down to FR stuff I read around that time.

Yeahhhhh.... righttttt... that narrows it down to a little over a hundred sources.

Anyhow, I'm thinking anthology for some reason, so anyone know which were the earliest? This is probably something I read in the mid-90's when it came out, and then read it again recently. I can almost remember the scene... someone new to the keep was startled by his presence...

Thanks for everyone's help regardless - unless I AM crazy, in which case I apologize in advance.

Edited by - Markustay on 04 Dec 2008 05:42:15
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2008 :  19:15:16  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

There are also some scribes mentioned in Ed's An Introduction to Candlekeep.

How did Sage and Kuje not think of that source?

Senility

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2008 :  20:09:24  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some of the BG events are canon, as we've discussed many times both on the WOTC and Candlekeep boards over the years. :)

quote:
Originally posted by Amarel_Derakanor

quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

[quote]Originally posted by Kuje

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2008 :  23:08:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Some of the BG events are canon, as we've discussed many times both on the WOTC and Candlekeep boards over the years. :)
Indeed. And we've seen some of the aspects of the games entered into canon via sourcebook references and the like.

Edited by - The Sage on 03 Dec 2008 23:09:25
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2008 :  01:47:38  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Right--IIRC, the information on NPCs in the BG manual was taken directly from sourcebooks.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2008 :  02:25:32  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed. And aspects like the Bhaalspawn, which saw inclusion in 3e tomes like Lost Empires of Faerūn for example.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2008 :  02:27:55  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Markus's thoughts about Candlekeep monks and illithids, along with some prompting from WotC member BadCatMan, has resulted in my having some rather curious mental meanderings.

Edited by - The Sage on 04 Dec 2008 02:29:24
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2008 :  05:46:59  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wasn't sure where you were going with that at first...

When I began reading it, I thought you were trying to tell me my 'Illithid Memeory' was just a random thought I picked up from the last brain I ate.

I'll have you know, my good man, that I haven't touched a brain in years... I'm rather partial to Livers these days.

Edited by - Markustay on 04 Dec 2008 05:47:23
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000