Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Is Halaster really Dr. Who?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Kamuraki
Seeker

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2008 :  20:47:44  Show Profile  Visit Kamuraki's Homepage Send Kamuraki a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Okay, I'm curious about the 4e incarnation of High Imaskari. Does it fall in the category of good alligned kingdoms/nations, ie; Cormyr, Shadowdale, Silverymoon, etc?

Or is it more on the fence? Sorta lawful neutral? The campaign setting says the empress is trying to hold it together as a lawful nation without slavery, but that doesn't mean the nation as a whole is lawful good.

And one more thing. (I have to get in my usual silliness.) I noticed that the Skylave supposedly is bigger on the inside than the outside. So... were ancient Imaskari, Timelords? Skyclave = city-sized TARDIS?

I apologize in advance if that question results in ANY sort of FR/DR. Who crossover fanfic from people who are determined to unleash really badly written franchise combos on the world.

Edit: Since this topic has really moved in another direction, I've renamed it to something more appropriate.

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

- Douglas Adams

Edited by - Kamuraki on 18 Oct 2008 16:29:14

Kamuraki
Seeker

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2008 :  21:17:33  Show Profile  Visit Kamuraki's Homepage Send Kamuraki a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gah, I've become my own enemy now, because now I'm picturing an ancient Imaskari mage in a trenchcoat with a 70's style haircut and an oversized scarf lecturing younger mages... and then hopping in his phone booth to fight evil throughout the history of the realms. (With a really catchy theme song)

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

- Douglas Adams

Edited by - Kamuraki on 17 Oct 2008 21:21:35
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2008 :  21:17:39  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kamuraki

And one more thing. (I have to get in my usual silliness.) I noticed that the Skylave supposedly is bigger on the inside than the outside. So... were ancient Imaskari, Timelords? Skyclave = city-sized TARDIS?

The Imaskari were masters of creating other-dimensional interiors. The forbidden book Volo's Guide to All Things Magical describes a trans-dimensional mage's study, the art of making which has been lost, which is probably Imaskari or similar to what they created.

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2008 :  21:34:52  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Somewhat off-topic...

IMG, I have it where Elminster's Library and Khelben's Library are one and the same (so they occassionally run into each other in there), and it exists in a pocket dimension (and NOT in either of their towers).

I suppose El (and Khelben) could have picked-up a few Imaskari tricks from Halaster over the years.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 17 Oct 2008 21:35:18
Go to Top of Page

Kamuraki
Seeker

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2008 :  21:58:30  Show Profile  Visit Kamuraki's Homepage Send Kamuraki a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Somewhat off-topic...

IMG, I have it where Elminster's Library and Khelben's Library are one and the same (so they occassionally run into each other in there), and it exists in a pocket dimension (and NOT in either of their towers).

I suppose El (and Khelben) could have picked-up a few Imaskari tricks from Halaster over the years.

Or from The Doctor

*slaps self*

NO! BAD KAM!

Ahem... my original question about the current moral alignment of the country still stands though.

- Douglas Adams
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2008 :  22:35:12  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Neutral; some good, some bad... just like every real nation under the sun. You had your 'shining examples', and you had your 'evil malcontents', and you also had your Tan-Chins, who went from one extreme to the other.

I have a theory that dimensional magic makes you go insane over time (seeing things man was not meant to see, etc, etc), which helps to explain where so many Imaskari 'went wrong'. Rip Van Wormer had an incredible theory about Imaskar and Sigil that lends itself well to this. When dealing with the '4th dimension', one should avert one's eyes.

Oh... and about Halaster... he IS the last of the Timelords...

What do you think eventually happened to The Doctor?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 17 Oct 2008 22:35:57
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2008 :  00:46:06  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Oh... and about Halaster... he IS the last of the Timelords...
I knew it!

So maybe Halaster didn't actually die just before the Spellplague. Perhaps what's actually happened is, he's regenerated. But the circumstances of this severe change have affected his mind, pushing him further toward the limits of his insanity.

-- Having said that, I've heard rumors that Halaster was rambling about something called a "Zero Room" before he was seen fleeing into a strange blue box that was said to be crafted from strange dimensional magics and that pulsated with temporal energies.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 18 Oct 2008 00:50:34
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2008 :  05:19:38  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yup - and remember all those apprentices he used to have?

He didn't have them all at once... he traveled around with them one at a time.

You'll also note that one of his apprentices* had a strange 'affection' for robotic beasties...

There are just too many coincidences to ignore.

*I believe the name was something like 'Thorbrand', IIRC

Edited by - Markustay on 18 Oct 2008 05:38:00
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2008 :  05:32:29  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is awesome... and not as off-topic as we might think, imo... first of all, Halaster was an Imaskari mage... and second, in my campaign, he's alive and well... but changed and more deranged.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 18 Oct 2008 05:33:45
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2008 :  05:41:29  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also have it (IMG) where the Stargates where all built by the Imaskari (the ARE the ancients), and the one found in Egypt is the one used by them to steal the Mulan slaves from Earth.

Eventually a team will discover the correct sequence and 'port into the Realms... too bad their guns won't work.

Hmmmm... I might have fun bringing some Wraiths from Stargate: Atlantis into the Raurin someday...

Edited by - Markustay on 18 Oct 2008 05:41:57
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2008 :  06:07:31  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Funny thing is, I was thinking about starting a d20 campaign with my group. They'd roll up perfectly average people (well, as average as a character can get, anyway) and I was going to lead them on with a story that this was a regular story, then have the Doctor show up and take them on a trip...

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2008 :  07:43:41  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

*I believe the name was something like 'Thorbrand', IIRC

You mean Trobriand?

Go to Top of Page

Kamuraki
Seeker

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2008 :  16:30:54  Show Profile  Visit Kamuraki's Homepage Send Kamuraki a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since this topic has really moved in another direction, I've renamed it to something more appropriate.

And to add to that topic, Halaster feels more like The Master to me.

- Douglas Adams
Go to Top of Page

Lady Fellshot
Senior Scribe

USA
379 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2008 :  21:30:26  Show Profile  Visit Lady Fellshot's Homepage Send Lady Fellshot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here we go, Halaster is the Doctor's last regeneration :D
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2008 :  00:59:01  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Fellshot

Actually, considering Halaster's past experiences with insanity, I believe Kamuraki's mention of the Mad Mage as the Master is somewhat more appropriate.

Edited by - The Sage on 19 Oct 2008 01:00:59
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2008 :  01:15:02  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Lady Fellshot

Actually, considering Halaster's past experiences with insanity, I believe Kamuraki's mention of the Mad Mage as the Master is somewhat more appropriate.

I agree... and from what we know of Elminster's Tower (as it existed before being launched/blown up by those meddling Sharrans) it may have been a far better TARDIS candidate; sure, it was a bit bigger than a call box on the outside, but really, where else was El going to store all those artifacts? It had to be huge on the inside.
Of course, there's always the possibility that El's safehold is the TARDIS... it exists outside of normal time and space, after all...

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

Go to Top of Page

Lady Fellshot
Senior Scribe

USA
379 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2008 :  02:15:19  Show Profile  Visit Lady Fellshot's Homepage Send Lady Fellshot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well Halaster could also be Dr. Chronotus (aka Saeravin) :P or any one of the other time lords. there are the ones still on Shada after all
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2008 :  06:16:02  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm... Halaster's the Master, El's the Doctor. Manshoon is Davros and Szass Tam is the Celestial Toymaker!

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2008 :  07:50:12  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

Hmmm... Halaster's the Master, El's the Doctor. Manshoon is Davros and Szass Tam is the Celestial Toymaker!

I think you've got it, Ashe! Now that we've established the "Who's Who" (horrid pun intended), does anyone want to see my casting of the Zhentarim hierarchy as characters from Tiny Toons and Animaniacs? Seriously. I put it together in the later days of 2nd Edition, so it's been around a while, but I think I still have it somewhere on one of these hard drives... but I'm not looking for it unless there's a demand, because it really is horrid.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2008 :  18:50:09  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, in another thread (at WotC) we figured out that the Martian Queen was really Lolth, but that's Looney Toons, not Tiny Toons.

Anyhow, who would be the Face of Boe?

Given the Immortal implications, I would have thought Elminster, but you guys have already pegged him as the real Doctor (if Halaster is The Master).

Edited by - Markustay on 19 Oct 2008 19:02:50
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2008 :  20:34:51  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, in another thread (at WotC) we figured out that the Martian Queen was really Lolth, but that's Looney Toons, not Tiny Toons.

Anyhow, who would be the Face of Boe?

Given the Immortal implications, I would have thought Elminster, but you guys have already pegged him as the real Doctor (if Halaster is The Master).

Danilo Thann

I mean, Jarlaxle... DEFINITELY Jarlaxle

Ashe's Character Sheet

Edited by - Ashe Ravenheart on 19 Oct 2008 20:35:44
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2008 :  20:39:57  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not seeing that, unless you're going along with that bit from that one episode, wherein it is alluded to that he is Jack Harkness. I can see him as Jack, but not as the Face of Boe.

Maybe the Terraseer...

Which now makes me wonder where the Chronomancer fits into all of this.

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2008 :  23:29:08  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No idea about the Chronomancer... unless he's the legendary First Time Lord... I'm much more familiar with the Realms than I am with the Whoniverse, though.

Here's another thought: What if the ghazneths are/were Krillitanes from the "School Reunion" episode in the 2006 season?

Go to Top of Page

Kamuraki
Seeker

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2008 :  04:24:48  Show Profile  Visit Kamuraki's Homepage Send Kamuraki a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So who're the Daleks?

- Douglas Adams
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2008 :  04:35:01  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Not seeing that, unless you're going along with that bit from that one episode, wherein it is alluded to that he is Jack Harkness. I can see him as Jack, but not as the Face of Boe.

Maybe the Terraseer...

Which now makes me wonder where the Chronomancer fits into all of this.

Alluded to? Nah, it was said right out that he is.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2008 :  05:56:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

So who're the Daleks?

The 4E design team?

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2008 :  06:02:30  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

So who're the Daleks?

I think the phaerimm would make a nice fit for the Realmsian "Daleks."

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2008 :  06:21:21  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nah... Maugrym would be daleks due to their hate for El. Phaerimm would be Cybermen.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2008 :  07:45:55  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Personally, I think Wooly has it right:
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

So who're the Daleks?

The 4E design team?

EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE!

Okay, enough metallic shouting from me.

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2008 :  07:50:56  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Nah... Maugrym would be daleks due to their hate for El. Phaerimm would be Cybermen.

Well, the Malaugrym can't be Daleks due to my just-posted argument... so if the Phaerimm are the Cybermen, then the Malaugrym must be the Krillitanes from the "School Reunion" episode; they are shapechangers, after all.

Edit: Except that I've already declared the Ghazneths to be the Krillitanes... hrm...

Well, one thing's for sure... I must be a Dalek, because my arguments are greatly resembling those of the 4E design team.

Edited by - Jakk on 20 Oct 2008 07:58:40
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2008 :  08:35:14  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

No, no... The Cybermen are the renegade creations of Trobriand.

Edited by - The Sage on 20 Oct 2008 08:35:41
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000