Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 What version of AD&D do you (primarily) play
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Yasraena
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2008 :  01:04:57  Show Profile  Visit Yasraena's Homepage Send Yasraena a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Poll Question:
The question says it all. What version do you normally play now? 1st? 2nd? 3rd? 3.5? 4th?

The author is very curious as to what everyone is actually playing these days. I play pretty exclusively 2nd Edition.

Choices:

1st Edition
2nd Edition
3rd Edition
3.5 Edition
4th Edition
Other System (besides AD&D rules)

(Anonymous Vote)

"Nindyn vel'uss malar verin z'klaen tlu kyone ulu naut doera nindel vel'bolen nind malar."
Yasraena T'Sarran
Harper of Silverymoon

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2008 :  01:40:28  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-I'll just put it out there, I don't think that 3e and 3.5e are different enough to warrant two separate categories. Many people just call it 3.Xe, because of that. 3e and 3.5e are virtually similar, and for the most part, 3.5e contains only minor differences. I, myself, play using the 3.5e PHB, and the 3e DMG and MM. The major differences are easily resolvable (ie, Survival is Wilderness Survival, and vice versa).

-And then, of course, I use all kinds of 2e sourcebooks for sources of inspiration, ideas, and so on.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 30 Nov 2008 01:41:01
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2008 :  02:28:25  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There should probably be an option for those of us who, like myself, utilise a diverse rules set deriving particular mechanics from most editions of the D&D rules, non-D&D specific rule systems [like the MECHWARRIOR RPG for example], and homebrew rules.

Though, on second thought, that could probably be covered by the "Other System" option.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 30 Nov 2008 02:29:33
Go to Top of Page

Nerfed2Hell
Senior Scribe

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2008 :  02:33:10  Show Profile  Visit Nerfed2Hell's Homepage Send Nerfed2Hell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What about variants of an edition, such as Pathfinder's update of 3.5e rules?

Some people are like a slinky... not good for much, but when you push them down the stairs, it makes you smile.
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2008 :  02:36:35  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I put 4th, but I still utilize source materials for lore from all editions.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2008 :  02:37:28  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted for 3.5E. I don't think it's "better" than the other editions, it's just what I'm playing.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

danbuter
Seeker

USA
74 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2008 :  02:51:34  Show Profile  Visit danbuter's Homepage Send danbuter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use Castles and Crusades, which is a nice combo of 1e and 3e.

Nothing beats the gray box!
Dan
Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2008 :  04:37:39  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
2.0 with a little 3.0 mixed in...
Go to Top of Page

Eremite
Learned Scribe

Singapore
182 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2008 :  06:24:38  Show Profile  Visit Eremite's Homepage Send Eremite a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Currently 3.5E but planning to switch to 4E for the "lazy" group where the players don't like doing any out-of-game preparation or planning.

Best
E
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2008 :  07:05:41  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Playing 3.5, but looking at starting 3.P (Pathfinder) once the current campaign is over. Players didn't want to convert what we started to the new ruleset, but rather when we start anew.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Shottglazz
Acolyte

Canada
49 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2008 :  12:15:33  Show Profile Send Shottglazz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Voted 3.5, since that's what we've played for about a year and a half, but would go back to 2e in a minute if I could get a group willing to...

EDIT: Switched back to 2e in 2010 - haven't looked back...introduced half a dozen guys to 2e who only knew of PF or 3.5...heh heh...

Shottglazz

"Take my love, Take my land, Take me where I cannot stand;
I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me."

Edited by - Shottglazz on 29 Nov 2012 14:56:49
Go to Top of Page

Amarel Derakanor
Seeker

97 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2008 :  12:54:38  Show Profile Send Amarel Derakanor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted 3.5, even though my own version diverge quite a bit from that system.
It could be said that it is based upon it, but is an fact greatly enhanced and geared towards realism, good roleplaying and so forth.

Unlike the 4th edition and it's focus on "the PC's rock the world, and are at Rambo-level skill from the 1st level", in my version, the NPC's are actually at no disadvantage whatsoever against the PC's.
But of course, there are elite warriors, and then there are civilians....

My point is; If someone is "good" at something, he will be it because the system says so, not by being favoured by some silly "PC's Only" perk. Then again, some of the PC's are special, as are some NPC's.

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2008 :  13:32:34  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted 4E because I am currently active in three campaigns that are 4E but I have a few 3.5 campaigns that I plan on continuing.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2008 :  15:44:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've only played 2E, myself... That said, I've more than a passing familiarity with 3.5E, and I think that, despite some issues here and there (particularly with cantrips, which no version has matched to the flavor), 3.5 is the best.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2008 :  16:03:36  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I've only played 2E, myself... That said, I've more than a passing familiarity with 3.5E, and I think that, despite some issues here and there (particularly with cantrips, which no version has matched to the flavor), 3.5 is the best.

[broken record]Have you looked at Pathfinder?[/broken record]

Seriously though, they made Cantrips and Orisons at-will abilities for the casters so they don't have to memorize them each day.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2008 :  16:34:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

[broken record]Have you looked at Pathfinder?[/broken record]

Seriously though, they made Cantrips and Orisons at-will abilities for the casters so they don't have to memorize them each day.

Did they? I was not aware of that -- I've downloaded the rules, but obviously not looked into them in any detail. Of late, the rules I've been reading have all been Warmachine.

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2008 :  16:47:03  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Correction, I'm rereading the stuff now.

Clerics/Druids memorize X number of Orisons a day, but cast them at-will throughout the day as spell-like abilities. Rangers and Paladins don't know 0-level orisons, so they don't get them.

Sorcerers/Bards only know a limited number of Cantrips (0-level), but again can cast them at-will as spell-like abilities.

A Wizard can memorize X number of Cantrips a day and cast them at-will as spell-like abilities.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2008 :  16:57:02  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like to use 1E for the World of Greyhawk: they were designed along with each other and work perfectly together.

I like to use 2E for the Realms, because 3E's bells and whistles (and pedantic accounting of bonuses and damage types) don't fit how I like to play RPGs, though I've played and DMed in 3E. Also because the fullest and most direct rules-depiction of Realms magic is in 2E, with VGATM and Ed's many spells.

Yes, 3E ought to be one edition for this poll; 3.5 is no more a distinct edition than, say, the original Unearthed Arcana.

Edited by - Faraer on 01 Dec 2008 17:03:27
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2008 :  20:56:08  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
my own, it's mostly based on 3e, but all other editions and systems, particularly 2e are good for scrapping
Go to Top of Page

Tyranthraxus
Senior Scribe

Netherlands
423 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2008 :  23:25:24  Show Profile  Visit Tyranthraxus's Homepage Send Tyranthraxus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My current D&D campaign uses the 3.5 core rules mixed with some 3e.
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2008 :  08:46:19  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Right now 2nd Edition....

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2008 :  15:54:06  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-3E for now, eventually 4E. I do want to try an E-6, 3E game.

BRIMSTONE

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2008 :  18:13:40  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I began with the AD&D version, when my parents sent me to the boarding school.
I was 14 years old if my memory does not fail, so in year 1988 !
Whoo ! I forgot I was so old... Who asked this stupid question?...

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

Yasraena
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2008 :  06:28:05  Show Profile  Visit Yasraena's Homepage Send Yasraena a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's been a while since I was last here, so nice to see a good turnout. Interesting results so far. 3.5 is way out front with 2nd coming in a far second.

I put other systems in there as a general term to encompass pretty much everything other than AD&D as I was specifically interested in what everyone's main rules version was. I think it goes without saying that everyone augments the rules with something. I know I do.

To prove my point, I have to admit, I mispoke in the earlier post when I said I play exclusively 2nd Ed. What I meant to say was when I play AD&D, I play pretty much 2nd, with a touch of 1st and 3rd(aprrox 80/10/10). I primarily run a Rolemaster 2nd Ed campaign, with a bunch of stuff from all over thrown in, from 2nd Ed. Psionics to Cthulhu mythos(all converted).

I don't know about this Pathfinder as I haven't heard about it until now. Is it authorized like Eberron, or an 'unauthorized' variant, like all those various D20 books of yore?
Care to help a fellow scribe out and give a point in the right direction?

"Nindyn vel'uss malar verin z'klaen tlu kyone ulu naut doera nindel vel'bolen nind malar."
Yasraena T'Sarran
Harper of Silverymoon
Go to Top of Page

Yasraena
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2008 :  06:36:13  Show Profile  Visit Yasraena's Homepage Send Yasraena a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fillow

I began with the AD&D version, when my parents sent me to the boarding school.
I was 14 years old if my memory does not fail, so in year 1988 !
Whoo ! I forgot I was so old... Who asked this stupid question?...

Hey Fillow, don't feel so bad.
This old Drow's got you by 6 years!

Yasraena T'Sarran
Harper of Silverymoon
Go to Top of Page

Ateth Istarlin
Seeker

United Kingdom
80 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2008 :  12:45:14  Show Profile Send Ateth Istarlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted "Other" - although I guess I should have said "1st Edition" as my home-brew is based on 1E more than any other (with favorite bits from 2E, 3E , C&C (& just a tad from Hackmaster & the D&D Rules Compendium).

The more I read about 4FR, the more depressed I am.
Politician - An elected official who tries to be all things to all people, while always looking out for his/her own interests first.
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2008 :  13:40:35  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Yasraena

It's been a while since I was last here, so nice to see a good turnout. Interesting results so far. 3.5 is way out front with 2nd coming in a far second.

I put other systems in there as a general term to encompass pretty much everything other than AD&D as I was specifically interested in what everyone's main rules version was. I think it goes without saying that everyone augments the rules with something. I know I do.

To prove my point, I have to admit, I mispoke in the earlier post when I said I play exclusively 2nd Ed. What I meant to say was when I play AD&D, I play pretty much 2nd, with a touch of 1st and 3rd(aprrox 80/10/10). I primarily run a Rolemaster 2nd Ed campaign, with a bunch of stuff from all over thrown in, from 2nd Ed. Psionics to Cthulhu mythos(all converted).

I don't know about this Pathfinder as I haven't heard about it until now. Is it authorized like Eberron, or an 'unauthorized' variant, like all those various D20 books of yore?

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11380
Follow the link in the thread it should explain everything. Paizo is staying 3.5, or you could call it 3P.

BRIMSTONE

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2008 :  13:53:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Yasraena

The Pathfinder rules (which are in open Beta) can be downloaded for free from Paizo.com -- the same company that published the final print issues of Dungeon and Dragon.

Because of the Open Gaming License and all that stuff that came out with 3E D&D, pretty much anyone can make D20 games using WotC's ruleset as a starting point. So long as they don't sign up to do 4E stuff (the GSL has a clause about abandoning older versions), they can keep doing 3.x stuff forever. That's the way WotC wrote the OGL -- so anyone publishing other D20 stuff is technically authorized, even if they aren't WotC.

What Paizo is doing with Pathfinder is starting with the published rules of 3.5, and tweaking them and cleaning them up to remove problems and make them even more playable. Their willingness to listen to fans has gained them a lot of support from people angry at WotC, and they've captured a large portion of the fanbase that's unwilling to go to 4E.

And they've also got a lot of the former WotC people, which only helps them out.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 04 Dec 2008 13:54:37
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2008 :  15:17:03  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't forget that they are getting a lot of freelancers like Elaine, Ed, Skip & Monte to help out as well.

And I can't believe that Brimstone or Wooly forgot to put a link for their site: Pathfinder products.

They have subscriptions on Adventure Paths and the like. AP's come out once a month and are standalone adventures that are part of a 6 issue mini-campaign. High-quality and worth every penny, IMHO.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2008 :  15:56:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

And I can't believe that Brimstone or Wooly forgot to put a link for their site: Pathfinder products.

I didn't forget. I didn't have a link handy.

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2008 :  16:42:30  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think Paizo is exactly what Wizards needs. COMPETITION. This way, they "should" strive to improve their products, which in turn "should" make Paizo work that much harder to come out with better products, and again make Wizards work that much harder also (going back and forth) - hopefully in the end, the gamers (of either system) win.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000