Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 At the risk of sounding like an utter moron...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2008 :  02:43:55  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Does anyone know where I got my Avatar from?

I know I got it from one of the 3e D&D sourcebooks, but now I can't find it at all, and I erased the original art from my hardrive like an idiot. I'm going through ALL that art on the WotC site, but I'm just not seeing it (thats where I got it the first time around).

Thanks --- Mark

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2008 :  03:51:47  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Did you check the avatar's on the WotC site. I know I have been looking at alot of avatars lately.

BRIMSTONE

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2008 :  05:01:45  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know why, but I recall when you asked Alaundo to custom your avatar. it was in a thread here talking about avatars, or site content...
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2008 :  05:04:56  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yup, I made mine here (and customized it a bit), and I also did the version at WotC (I did about half the FR avatars over there).

And I have all the art of every Avatar I have ever made EXCEPT that one.

Ah, well... I'll keep looking....

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2008 :  13:38:54  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Just a hunch, check your AGHotR. The solid one not the pdf. If you have already looked in it then please disregard.

BRIMSTONE

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2008 :  14:11:50  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welll, after going through every piece of artwork listed in WotC's downloads/Maps section - some books twice - I still couldn't find it.

But I was able to find a copy of the original on my computer. Its still bothering the heck out of me that I don't know where it's from, but I least I have a copy to work with now.

Thanks everyone.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2008 :  18:03:26  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-M:tG?

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2008 :  18:32:15  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We might begin with wondering what we can see in this avatar.
A bald & bearded scribe/ cleric / monk reading a scroll in front of a map on the wall. Does it remind something to someone ?
Nothing in my mind ! Sorry Mark.

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2008 :  19:23:15  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the "site content" forum I found this thread : http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10497&SearchTerms=avatar
There, Mark said :
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I'm growing a little bored with mine - I picked him because he actually looks just like me, but now I want something 'spiffier'.

I have a cool one in mind - one I made for the WotC forums (as part of a package of 400 I put together for them), but I don't use it over there. It would be more appropriate for here, I think.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y178/MarkusTay/Shou_Scholar.jpg

Any chance I could get this uploaded for myself? I would have E-Mailed Alaundo directly, but it seems my mail server was full, and deleted all of my old mail, so I no longer have the address.

If it is possible, then I would 'clean it up a bit' from that original I did for WotC - the shape is really weird.

Is it the current avatar ? a Shou scholar ? I hope it could be a hint fot you Mark.
I went to this adress but it has been deleted ! Beshaba is not so far...

Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2008 :  04:23:34  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LOL - I named it that - it's not really from any of the K-T books, he just looked like a Monk to me.

In fact, if you look at the Avatar list at WotC you'll see I gave a bunch of them with silly names - 'She-Hulk' is one of my favorites.

I think that annoyed the heck out them - the mod who posted them was asking for any help in identifying the art and posting the correct names. I didn't really do it on purpose - a lot of the art I downloaded in bunches and it only had numbers assigned without any identifiers, so I guessed at the ones I couldn't figure out.

And , of course, my sense of humour comes back and bites me in the ass.

Anyhow, it might be MtG - I grabbed art from everywhere, including a bunch of old stuff (that WotC had the rights to) off of Caldwell's and Elmore's sites. I could have sworn it was from one of the principle core books in 3e, but I checked them all several times. unless I just missed it, which is entirely possible.

Or it could have been something I had in a book that wasn't put on their site (they are missing a bunch of books, and pieces of art from just about all of them), in which case I'll never find it again unless I just happen to come across it.

Either way, I found my original, so it's all good.

Edited by - Markustay on 23 Nov 2008 16:16:59
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2008 :  04:51:12  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-All I know is M:tG has some very good artwork, and most of the more interesting avatars there were M:tG ones, back when I was selecting avatars. I know you and a bunch of others had hundreds more added, so. At that point, though, mine had already become iconic. I don't want to change mine.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 23 Nov 2008 04:57:21
Go to Top of Page

Glaurach
Acolyte

11 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2008 :  06:17:07  Show Profile  Visit Glaurach's Homepage Send Glaurach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
”mExpedition to the Demonweb Pits”n

It's the picture of jaunter prestige class.

The artist is Eric Deschamps.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/demonweb_gallery/103913.jpg
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2008 :  12:22:47  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Congrats Glaurach !
And welcome to the keep.

La brute.com

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2008 :  16:20:23  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know... I didn't even bother to check that one.

Not only was it in one of those adventure "Expedition to..." books (which I didn't really look too hard at), but I just didn't bother with that one because I assumed it was all-Drow (as the DotU book is).

My bad, and my thanks.

Edited by - Markustay on 23 Nov 2008 20:25:44
Go to Top of Page

wannabesuperman
Acolyte

20 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2008 :  20:14:22  Show Profile  Visit wannabesuperman's Homepage Send wannabesuperman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice first post, Glaurach.

"What's so funny about Truth, Justice, and The American Way?" --Clark Kent, Daily Planet. January 2001
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2008 :  20:27:17  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, it certainly was, and welcome to the forums.

I was going to name a town after you on my next map in honor of your most excellent research skilz, but I realize there already is one named that.

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2008 :  21:02:11  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-With Myth in front of it to boot!

BRIMSTONE

Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 23 Nov 2008 21:02:30
Go to Top of Page

Glaurach
Acolyte

11 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2008 :  04:54:37  Show Profile  Visit Glaurach's Homepage Send Glaurach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just lucky I think.

Having learned so much lore from you scribes, I am happy to give a little help.

That mythal city is why I choose this user name. On the other hand, I could provide another name as a town, if you needed it.

Nice to meet you all and sorry for my poor English.

Edited by - Glaurach on 24 Nov 2008 04:55:50
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000