Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Mystra's temple in Wheloon
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tyranthraxus
Senior Scribe

Netherlands
423 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2008 :  23:16:41  Show Profile  Visit Tyranthraxus's Homepage Send Tyranthraxus a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
My group is almost finished with the Cormyr: Tearing of the Weave adventure module and I wonder what would happen with the temple after the adventure.

Would the temple be abandoned? Or would the clergy of Mystra claim the fake temple? It would be good business for Wheloon as it attracts more people to the city and be the centre of Mystra's faith in Cormyr.

What will Alusair and the War Wizards think of it? And who would be the temple's high priest (Tunastar Dranik maybe, or some random priest of Mystra)?

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2008 :  23:53:55  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The way I DM'd it, the adventurers came back from the shadow plane to find war wizards and purple dragons galore making sure that the Sharrans were removed and the temple 'properly' blessed by the clerics of Mystra. The knights then took the adventurers to Suzail for debriefing and to be sent on a crown mission to find out what's going on in Shadowdale (bum-da-BUM!).

Of course, according to WotC, Wheloon is overwhelmed by Sharrans and turned into a walled prison city, a la New York in Escape From New York.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2008 :  17:48:36  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Ashe what is your overall opinion of Those Adventures. I plan on running them in my next Campaign. What in your Opinion are some trouble spots in them?

-On topic I do think the "Escape from New York" angle is pretty stupid. Not trying to bad mouth the Wizards Crew, but come on now.
-I could see Mystra, taking that Temple and using it for some good.

BRIMSTONE

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2008 :  18:08:18  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's possible that the church of Mystra could claim the temple in the name of their deity, or destroy it as a potential threat to the faith.

The track that 4E has followed suggests somehow that the adventurers failed in their attempts to root out the false church of Mystra, seeing as the city soon became a den of Sharran worship. Which begs the question why there were two additional adventures to follow it up...
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2008 :  18:33:22  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's the breakdown Brimmy (SPOILERS):

Cormyr - This is VERY heavy with undead (Shadowslain lizardfolk). If you have a cleric that specializes in undead, especially one that follows Lathander, the combats could be over too quickly and easily. The hardest part is getting the group going in the beginning. There's a couple of different ways to go about investigating the temple, from signing on for their 'program' to a full frontal assault. I'd recommend pushing them towards the sign-up route, since most of the temple guards and such are locals to Wheloon that don't know what's going on. Of course, once they get to the Shadow plane, the challenge of the adventure seems to jump from peons to high up lieutenants. Be careful with the gorgon and the mind-flayer. I also increased the dragon from large to gargantuan, but did not increase it's age category (wrote it off as a side-effect of being Shar's chosen and wearing the Shadow Shard). Even with the increase, both groups I ran this with didn't have too much trouble with him.

Shadowdale - Currently running this one. Again, it's an awkward balance of challenge. Most of the encounters are with groups that are pretty easily handled by the group (about 10-15% attrition), but they throw in curveballs that in reality play a lot higher than they are rated. Be VERY careful with the Skeletal Dragon guarding Aumry's Tomb. It's gargantuan, so it has six attacks and it's attack bonus is +3X or better. Took out the druid in my group in two rounds. And that druid had dragonhide plate made from the dragon they defeated in Cormyr. There are three major things to remember about this book:
  • The 'down-time' for roleplaying is very rp-intensive. Get your voices ready.
  • The dungeons are very hack and slash, so it gives your voice a rest. But if you're not careful, some of the encounter may seem too easy and others too hard.
  • You have to keep track of Notoriety Points to see when events trigger, and there are a lot of events. I put it all in a spreadsheet to keep track of.

Anauroch - We haven't gotten here yet, but I can see where the problems may be. First, there's a lot of traveling. Jumping from Myth Drannor to Candlekeep to Anauroch and some other places, so make sure the group has a way of traveling long distances quickly. Not sure how the encounters are going to play out, but I'm assuming it will be like the other two books and go back and forth from 'too easy' to 'TPK'. And, like Shadowdale, there are very distinct role-playing vs. roll-playing. In other words, there's only a few encounters where the villain may actually try talking first.

Hope this helps!

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2008 :  18:34:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

The track that 4E has followed suggests somehow that the adventurers failed in their attempts to root out the false church of Mystra, seeing as the city soon became a den of Sharran worship. Which begs the question why there were two additional adventures to follow it up...

The track of 4E also fails to follow up on something else that was mentioned in that module trilogy, more than once: "Shar's coming weakness".

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2008 :  18:39:10  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

The track of 4E also fails to follow up on something else that was mentioned in that module trilogy, more than once: "Shar's coming weakness".

Not too mention the adventures are canon in GHotR as well, mentioning that a 'band of adventurers' find a page of Shar's book.

And don't forget, Shar's weakness is mentioned in Paul's Twilight War trilogy on more than one occasion.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2008 :  20:15:24  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Thanks Ashe. Yeah some of the encounters seem swingy to me. What is the composition of your group. # of players and what are they playing ectera?

BRIMSTONE

Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 07 Nov 2008 20:18:34
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2008 :  20:38:34  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
4 players: Druid/Master of Many Forms, Warlock, Samurai, Knight/Defender of Sealtiel (I altered it so it's Defender of Tyr).

The first group that I ran through Cormyr was 4 players as well: Evoker, Halfling thief, Monk (Sworn Slayer of Kelemvor) and Ranger.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Edited by - Ashe Ravenheart on 07 Nov 2008 20:39:49
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2008 :  22:15:00  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Unless, of course, Shar did have a "weakness", it's just that it turned out to be very trivial and easily overcome (which wouldn't surprise me, needless to say).

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 07 Nov 2008 22:15:47
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2008 :  04:19:23  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

4 players: Druid/Master of Many Forms, Warlock, Samurai, Knight/Defender of Sealtiel (I altered it so it's Defender of Tyr).

The first group that I ran through Cormyr was 4 players as well: Evoker, Halfling thief, Monk (Sworn Slayer of Kelemvor) and Ranger.

-Thanks. I am planning on running these Adventures after I finish up my Red Hand of Doom in the Realms Campaign.

-We all know for good or bad Shar is the "big bad boogy momma" in the realms. All the while Cyric is chilling in The Supreme Throne waiting for his day of revenge! Yes Shar be all out in the open while Cyric hides in the Shadow's gathering more shadow's!

BRIMSTONE

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2008 :  05:48:24  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:

Unless, of course, Shar did have a "weakness", it's just that it turned out to be very trivial and easily overcome (which wouldn't surprise me, needless to say).

Slight addiction to bon-bon's and hairspray?

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Tyranthraxus
Senior Scribe

Netherlands
423 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2008 :  23:50:34  Show Profile  Visit Tyranthraxus's Homepage Send Tyranthraxus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My group finished the Cormyr module this week. The temple has been blessed by the church of Mystra and they've been debriefed by Tunastar Dranik, Sarp Readbeard and Maximanus Tholl and have been informed about frequent zhentilar activities in the Dales(leading to the Shadowdale module).

In the course of their career they've accumulated a large amount of gold (mostly by selling unwanted magic items) and have several options on how to spend their money. They each have been offered a magic item of choise (in exchange for the normal price listed), they can fortify their stronghold against zhentilar raids and/or use their recources to forge their own magic items. But they don't have much time as winter is approaching.

Overall Cormyr: Tearing of the Weave was a fun adventure to play and gives me alot to build on. Some of the encounters were somewhat unbalanced, some fights were too easy and some battles were pretty hard. The mind flayer and Despayr proved to be no match for them wich was kinda dissapointing. Chapter one was the best part of the adventure because the players knew something fishy was going on inside the temple but they had no evidence and went undercover by participating in the three-day-ritual.

Edited by - Tyranthraxus on 13 Nov 2008 23:51:46
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2008 :  02:02:14  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Cool, thanks.

BRIMSTONE

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2008 :  16:13:17  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On a side note for Shadowdale:

The three 'chapters' dealing with the Zhents, Sharrans and Drow are written with the encounter levels set in progression from Zhent -> Sharran -> Drow. However, as my group can prove, the players may not go in that order. They actually started with the Sharran threat and are now going to go deal with the Zhents. Since the book was written as a linear adventure, you will need to be prepared to adjust encounters to properly challenge the players. This usually can be accomplished by just adding more 'grunts', but in some cases you may need to adjust the NPCs.

SPOILER
For instance, my players had a pretty challenging time in the Sharran's cave/Alokkair's Refuge, but they also were able to take out Esvele and Alokkair pretty quickly. In the case of Esvele, it was sheer luck. But in the case of the Lich, they actually got him with sound tactics. The players are known 'hunters of the dead' as it were, so they were equipped well enough to take on a lich and got real lucky on their saving throws (except the warlock, who ran away like a little girl...).

Also, in regards to the Weave unwinding rituals. Make sure to think out properly when dealing with classes that use magic in 'different' ways. My player's magic-wielder is a Warlock from Complete Arcane. There's been a lot of discussion on how the weakness in the weave effects his eldritch blast, since it's a spell-like ability. I've done everything from cut back on the damage done by the blasts to cutting it off completely (when in a dead magic zone).

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Tyranthraxus
Senior Scribe

Netherlands
423 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2008 :  16:57:42  Show Profile  Visit Tyranthraxus's Homepage Send Tyranthraxus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've never ever played through an adventure as written because of some unexpected player actions so I don't think that will be a problem. As for arcane spellcasters, the party doesn't really have any. Well, there is a lvl 6 fighter/1 wizard but he hasn't used any of his spells so far.

Edited by - Tyranthraxus on 14 Nov 2008 16:58:36
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000