Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 PC levels for 2E Ruins of Myth Drannor Adventures
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2008 :  22:43:31  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello all,

I´m thinking of buying a copy of the 2E Ruins of Myth Drannor Boxed Set, but before I do, I need to know what level the PC´s should be at to run through the adventures. My PCs are currently at level 4 and 5.

Cheers,
Afet

Afet bint Tuzaní

"As the good Archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself."
- Danilo Thann in Elfsong by Elaine Cunningham

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2008 :  23:21:03  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They'll get eaten for lunch.

Actually, that's a good definition for Myth Drannor at ANY level. No matter how powerful you are, there's always a group mightier (2e phaerimm, anyone?). That means you, as DM, have a lot of leeway in tailoring the adventure to suit your PC''s.

That said, I really wouldn't want to take a party much below 8 or 9 into Myth Drannor, and certainly not as low as 4. They really will get eaten alive, especially if your players don't run away from fights. Myth Drannor should *always* have battles that are simply impossible, that then turn into running chases as the monsters too powerful for your group then *chase* your group, looking to make you lunch.

On the other hand, Myth Drannor can make a great campaign arc. (There was a band, I don't know, Mything Riders or somesuch, that proves it) Start in the forests around Myth Drannor, working steadily closer, with *very* short forays into the ruins starting in another few levels. Could be all sorts of fun.

End result: It's a great boxed set. I've had it for years and never regretted it.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2008 :  23:35:42  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

End result: It's a great boxed set. I've had it for years and never regretted it.

Thanks, Hoondatha. Maybe I´ll hold off a bit on purchasing that set until the PCs move up a few levels.

Any suggestions for a 2E adventure appropriate to PCs at levels 4 and 5? The PCs are currently in Shadowdale but, if need be, I could portal them to some other location.
Afet

Afet bint Tuzaní

"As the good Archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself."
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2008 :  00:16:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Afetbinttuzani

quote:

Thanks, Hoondatha. Maybe I´ll hold off a bit on purchasing that set until the PCs move up a few levels.

Any suggestions for a 2E adventure appropriate to PCs at levels 4 and 5? The PCs are currently in Shadowdale but, if need be, I could portal them to some other location.
Afet

You could simply create smaller ruins in the area around Myth Drannor. Cormanthor covers a lot of territory, and we know that elves lived in spots other than Myth Drannor. Make up some ruins, let the PCs get experience checking them out. You could also use your created ruins to introduce plot hooks and such, to eventually lead the PCs into Myth Drannor. Perhaps a drow connection, perhaps evidence of some still-lost and quite valuable treasure that's still somewhere in the city's ruins...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 17 Oct 2008 00:17:24
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2008 :  01:21:16  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm also a big fan of the Beneath the Twisted Tower adventure that was contained in the 2e FR Campaign Boxed Set (the revised one, with a red-robed Elminster amid watery bubbles on the cover). It's meant for 1st level adventurers, but it's easily scalable. Takes place, well, beneath the Twisted Tower and deals with a drow plot to take over the dale. There are some loose plot threads towards the end that we now know aim towards Szith Morcane and Maerimydra, but could easily be reshaped to point toward Myth Drannor.

You could also swap the drow for some other race or group with interest in the ruins and have it be a staging area for some dark plot or another. Depending on when your campaign is set, they could possibly be priests of Bane that escaped the slaughter in the ruins when their gate was closed and are busy trying again.

Doom of Daggerdale is another beginning adventure that could easily be scaled up to challenge 4th or 5th level PC's. That one deals with occupied Daggerdale and a sickness spreading through the area. Lots of sneaking around, speaking softly with the Zhents, and other roleplaying, with the BBEG being an evil mage that can be whatever level you want.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2008 :  01:54:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And another option just occurred to me... Since you're interested in the Ruins of Myth Drannor boxed set, then it's a safe assumption your game happens before the events of the Last Mythal trilogy. That means that the Dawnspire is still around.

It's a temple of Lathander located outside of Myth Drannor. In the Sage Advice column of Dragon 208 (and later confirmed by Ed):

quote:
Where within Myth Drannor is The Dawnspire (the temple of Lathander)? I've looked through the book twice and I can't find a clue. I know the site is supposed to cover about five acres, but there's no scale on the map. Is that an oversight?

TSR's Karen Boomgarden and I also spent a great deal of time poring over the book and the Myth Drannor maps trying to find the answer to this one. (The floor in Karen's cubical is just about large enough to accommodate all the maps at once. An onlooker would have had a grand time watching the two of us trying to study the maps without soiling or tearing them with our shoes.) Karen and I suggest placing the temple in the Westfields area, just south of the Burial Glen (see the Campaign Guide to Myth Drannor, page 15.)

There isn't supposed to be a scale printed on the maps. Myth Drannor's Mythal, see the Campaign Guide to Myth Drannor pages 22-31) and the corrupting influences of all the gates and wild magic make all distances within the ruins distorted and variable."

So you could use that as a base for the PCs to operate from. It's close to, but not within, Myth Drannor. PCs could be sent on all sorts of missions in the surrounding area, and they'll have a good place to go for rest and healing. Plus, when they're high enough in level, the Dawnspire gives them a place close to Myth Drannor that they can stage out of for their trips into the fallen city. And the priests in the temple could also act as patrons, giving the the various missions.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 17 Oct 2008 01:55:21
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2008 :  02:42:46  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like that idea a lot. The options are endless, but the priests can also be used as a filter, so that you can justify not throwing glabrezu and pit fiends at your players because they stumbled into the wrong spot. It's even better, of course, if someone is a priest or lay worshipper of Lathander, but the Dawnspire could work for just about any good or neutral group.

Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2008 :  04:30:52  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm also a big fan of the Beneath the Twisted Tower adventure that was contained in the 2e FR Campaign Boxed Set (the revised one, with a red-robed Elminster amid watery bubbles on the cover). It's meant for 1st level adventurers, but it's easily scalable.

As a matter of fact, that is exactly what I have done. The PCs are busy with this at the moment. This 2E campaign is set in 1367.
quote:
Doom of Daggerdale is another beginning adventure that could easily be scaled up to challenge 4th or 5th level PC's.

I've considered this. In fact I've already placed a hook that could lead the PCs there if I decide to do this. I'd like to keep the PCs tied up in this region till they are leveled up a bit as I'd eventually like to run them through "Four from Cormyr".

I like the Dawnspire Temple idea as well, though I confess I know nothing about it. Where would I find info about it (novels or supplements)?
Afet
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2008 :  05:31:37  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I like the Dawnspire Temple idea as well, though I confess I know nothing about it. Where would I find info about it (novels or supplements)?
See the aforementioned Ruins of Myth Drannor boxed set. And the "Last Mythal" trilogy.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2008 :  05:36:05  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

And another option just occurred to me... Since you're interested in the Ruins of Myth Drannor boxed set, then it's a safe assumption your game happens before the events of the Last Mythal trilogy. That means that the Dawnspire is still around.

It's a temple of Lathander located outside of Myth Drannor. In the Sage Advice column of Dragon 208 (and later confirmed by Ed):

quote:
Where within Myth Drannor is The Dawnspire (the temple of Lathander)? I've looked through the book twice and I can't find a clue. I know the site is supposed to cover about five acres, but there's no scale on the map. Is that an oversight?

TSR's Karen Boomgarden and I also spent a great deal of time poring over the book and the Myth Drannor maps trying to find the answer to this one. (The floor in Karen's cubical is just about large enough to accommodate all the maps at once. An onlooker would have had a grand time watching the two of us trying to study the maps without soiling or tearing them with our shoes.) Karen and I suggest placing the temple in the Westfields area, just south of the Burial Glen (see the Campaign Guide to Myth Drannor, page 15.)

There isn't supposed to be a scale printed on the maps. Myth Drannor's Mythal, see the Campaign Guide to Myth Drannor pages 22-31) and the corrupting influences of all the gates and wild magic make all distances within the ruins distorted and variable."

So you could use that as a base for the PCs to operate from. It's close to, but not within, Myth Drannor. PCs could be sent on all sorts of missions in the surrounding area, and they'll have a good place to go for rest and healing. Plus, when they're high enough in level, the Dawnspire gives them a place close to Myth Drannor that they can stage out of for their trips into the fallen city. And the priests in the temple could also act as patrons, giving the the various missions.

With regard to the apparent location inconsistency between the Dawnspire's details in RoMD and the "Last Mythal" trilogy, I've sometimes felt that there is an 'easy way around it' -- between what we're told in Ruins and what's referenced in the "Last Mythal" books.

Consider that the novel tells us about the temple's destruction [though it's said to be located within Myth Drannor] and the description of the Dawnspire in Ruins clearly places it outside of Myth Drannor. Thus, one could suggest that whatever priests of the clergy for the Dawnspire remained, after what we're told in RoMD, decided to shift parts of the temple into Myth Drannor itself.

Edited by - The Sage on 17 Oct 2008 05:41:33
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2008 :  06:15:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

See the aforementioned Ruins of Myth Drannor boxed set. And the "Last Mythal" trilogy.

As I recall, the Dawnspire wasn't really mentioned in the Last Mythal trilogy... We just had a blurb about a destroyed temple.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2008 :  06:16:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

With regard to the apparent location inconsistency between the Dawnspire's details in RoMD and the "Last Mythal" trilogy, I've sometimes felt that there is an 'easy way around it' -- between what we're told in Ruins and what's referenced in the "Last Mythal" books.

Consider that the novel tells us about the temple's destruction [though it's said to be located within Myth Drannor] and the description of the Dawnspire in Ruins clearly places it outside of Myth Drannor. Thus, one could suggest that whatever priests of the clergy for the Dawnspire remained, after what we're told in RoMD, decided to shift parts of the temple into Myth Drannor itself.

Yeah, that's the easy way around that one. I do wish, however, that something had been stated so that we didn't have to look for our own explanations.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2008 :  07:47:03  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

As I recall, the Dawnspire wasn't really mentioned in the Last Mythal trilogy... We just had a blurb about a destroyed temple.
Aye.

I just flicked through the books themselves. There's the main blurb, and a couple of scattered references here and there. Nothing really noteworthy though.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2008 :  07:49:28  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yeah, that's the easy way around that one. I do wish, however, that something had been stated so that we didn't have to look for our own explanations.
But that can be just as much fun, sometimes, as having an official answer.

I do agree, though. After all, we've had a couple of sources since Ruins that have touched on Myth Drannor somewhat.

Go to Top of Page

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2008 :  17:18:06  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm also a big fan of the Beneath the Twisted Tower adventure that was contained in the 2e FR Campaign Boxed Set (the revised one, with a red-robed Elminster amid watery bubbles on the cover). It's meant for 1st level adventurers, but it's easily scalable.

OT but I reember that as being a trifle high-powered a scenario for 1st level characters. I mean, the main villain was a 10th level drow wizard??
Go to Top of Page

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2008 :  17:19:42  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It's a temple of Lathander located outside of Myth Drannor.

I like that idea, but didn't the ruins also have a temple to Shandakul that was intended as a base of operations? Shaundakul's Throne, I think it was called?
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2008 :  18:40:55  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

But that can be just as much fun, sometimes, as having an official answer.

Making it up is the only way to go now... but I'm sure Wooly's quite aware of my feelings there after how dangerously close to post removal I probably came on the Feedback scroll. I still believe that if they don't want to hear criticism, then they shouldn't be asking for any sort of feedback at all, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Back on topic: I don't have my copy of RoMD with me at the moment... what was it about the mythal (or its corruption) that trapped the baatezu inside while allowing others free passage in and out, and was it that same effect that trapped the phaerimm there as well? I'm probably forgetting something basic; I want my books!

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2008 :  20:54:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ardashir

quote:

It's a temple of Lathander located outside of Myth Drannor.

I like that idea, but didn't the ruins also have a temple to Shandakul that was intended as a base of operations? Shaundakul's Throne, I think it was called?

Yes, but there are a couple of important differences... When the boxed set was published, Shaundakul only had 6 priests in all the Realms. He had windghosts to guard the temple, and he sometimes showed up there as an avatar, but that was it. The temple did not have anyone in permanent residence. Plus, it lies inside the city -- so it's in easy reach of any of the many, many nastybads in the city.

The Dawnspire, on the other hand, was outside the city. And it's a decently-sized (5 acres), apparently self-sufficient walled compound. So it's got the advantages of security, shelter, healing, food, water, and plenty of NPCs to interact with.

I'm a huge fan of Shaundakul (and Lathander), but when it comes to which Myth Drannan temple to go to, Lathander has got it. At least until the fey'ri moved in.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2008 :  21:10:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

Back on topic: I don't have my copy of RoMD with me at the moment... what was it about the mythal (or its corruption) that trapped the baatezu inside while allowing others free passage in and out, and was it that same effect that trapped the phaerimm there as well? I'm probably forgetting something basic; I want my books!

Here's the skinny; it's from an email Ed sent to Krash, and which Krash shared back in 2004:

quote:
early 700s DR: Myth Drannor sacked by an Army of
Darkness led by three nycaloths.
1344 DR/Year of Moonfall: Retreat begins. Elves of the
the Elven Court abandon residence in the woods around
the ruins of Myth Drannor, and for the first time
leave those ruins unguarded, for others to plunder.
1355 DR: Zhent priests of Bane serving the High
Imperceptor (who at the time was looking for allies
and troops in his struggle for supremacy within the
Zhentarim against Fzoul and Manshoon) open a gate (3E:
portal) to the Nine Hells in the part of the Myth
Drannan ruins known as Burial Glen.
Depraved Bane worshippers start sacrificing
non-believers to the devils and praying to them for
aid.
Zhentarim wizards (Hesperdan and others) who find out
about this incipient disaster (devils roaming the
Realms unrestricted, and bringing in armies of
reinforcements? Yikes!) hastily cast spells to modify
the decaying mythal of the city, to restrict the
devils in two ways: they can't personally gate in
other devils, and they can't move more than 70 yards
beyond the ruins (for example, they can't reach
Lovers' Glade).

As the mythal continued to decay, devils roamed
farther afield, but as soon as this was noticed,
Mystra sent her servants (Chosen, Weavespinners,
Pursuivants Arcane, et al) to raise a new mythal
AROUND the decaying original, to duplicate the
original restrictions. Azuth aided directly in its
creation.
So the result is this: individual devils (of various
sorts) did get out into the woods to roam, but most
have since been slain, and the restrictions remain.
It's not known what other properties the new mythal
may have, so any author is free to add little things
for dramatic effect or storytelling purposes.

Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2008 :  21:55:28  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you all for your help on this.
Afet

Afet bint Tuzaní

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2008 :  23:24:14  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No problem Afet... not that I actually *answered* a lot of questions in this scroll, but I kept it moving anyway.

Thanks Wooly! There actually *was* something in there that I didn't know. Maybe my memory's not as bad as I remember it being...

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

Edited by - Jakk on 18 Oct 2008 23:26:00
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2008 :  02:47:12  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm a huge fan of Shaundakul (and Lathander), but when it comes to which Myth Drannan temple to go to, Lathander has got it. At least until the fey'ri moved in.

And that last bit need not happen in a home game.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2008 :  22:35:49  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Or if it did, you could do what I think LM should have done: besiege the Dawnspire instead of destroying it. Turn it into another front, and allow the PC's to have a real impact in helping them stave off death and defeat.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2008 :  22:53:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Or if it did, you could do what I think LM should have done: besiege the Dawnspire instead of destroying it. Turn it into another front, and allow the PC's to have a real impact in helping them stave off death and defeat.

They didn't destroy the Dawnspire, though. It was located outside of the ruins, and the destroyed temple (of which we have no details) was inside the ruins.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2008 :  01:32:30  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hate to bring this up but Rich did mean that the Dawnspire that was destroyed was the one that was supposed to be outside the ruins. I know he's commented on this before even though he said it was inside the ruins.

quote:

quote:

They didn't destroy the Dawnspire, though. It was located outside of the ruins, and the destroyed temple (of which we have no details) was inside the ruins.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2008 :  02:12:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Hate to bring this up but Rich did mean that the Dawnspire that was destroyed was the one that was supposed to be outside the ruins. I know he's commented on this before even though he said it was inside the ruins.

Bah. I'm so sick of pointless retcons that I'm starting to ignore them. I find it quite irksome that one non-descriptive line in a novel is considered more definitive than a full-on description in a regional sourcebook (boxed set, in this case). When one easy sentence can reconcile conflicting lore, there is no reason to brush aside something inconvenient.

Yes, I know it's an official retcon, but that doesn't change any of what I said. It's things like that that make me favor a global reset to pre-3E for the setting.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 21 Oct 2008 02:13:47
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2008 :  02:19:36  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As do I find the irksome, which is why I won't buy any 4e material and why I have a house rule Word .doc that is about four or five pages, so far, about all the things I ignore for FR since 3e. :)

But eh, new lore always overwrote old lore..... Sad though that many fans usually know more about the setting, and the errors, then the authors/game designers that have been working on the setting for years.....

quote:

Bah. I'm so sick of pointless retcons that I'm starting to ignore them. I find it quite irksome that one non-descriptive line in a novel is considered more definitive than a full-on description in a regional sourcebook (boxed set, in this case). When one easy sentence can reconcile conflicting lore, there is no reason to brush aside something inconvenient.

Yes, I know it's an official retcon, but that doesn't change any of what I said. It's things like that that make me favor a global reset to pre-3E for the setting.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2008 :  05:09:41  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Sad though that many fans usually know more about the setting, and the errors, then the authors/game designers that have been working on the setting for years.....

It´s annoying, yes. But in defense of the designers and authors, for years they having been writing these things under pressure to meet deadlines, after which the material is edited by others and cast onto the market, by which time the writers have already begun scribbling furiously to meet the next deadline for the next project. It must be difficult for them to keep track of all of their own writing, let alone that of all of the other writers. Only the scribes of the Candlekeep have the time to page through the lore and spot the contradictions and omissions.
Afet

Afet bint Tuzaní

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2008 :  06:45:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Sad though that many fans usually know more about the setting, and the errors, then the authors/game designers that have been working on the setting for years.....

It´s annoying, yes. But in defense of the designers and authors, for years they having been writing these things under pressure to meet deadlines, after which the material is edited by others and cast onto the market, by which time the writers have already begun scribbling furiously to meet the next deadline for the next project. It must be difficult for them to keep track of all of their own writing, let alone that of all of the other writers. Only the scribes of the Candlekeep have the time to page through the lore and spot the contradictions and omissions.
Afet

I don't agree. If I choose to write about a location, and there's only one source that describes that location, I'm going to familiarize myself with that one source. If I'm going to say something about a specific spot within that location, I'm going to make sure I know where it is -- and if I decide to relocate it, I'm going to have at least a sentence to say why it was relocated.

If a person is going to write for a setting, it is not unreasonable to ask that they try to adhere to the details of that setting. Especially when those details are easily verified.

Hells, I wrote a short story set in ruined Myth Drannor, and I went backwards and forwards thru that boxed set, to make sure I got everything right. If a fan with his own life demands can do that for his own project, an author earning money can certainly do the same.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 21 Oct 2008 06:48:00
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2008 :  07:15:50  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I totally agree, Wooly. Writers in any field have a responsibility to their readers for accuracy , whether it's technical details or consistency of fiction/lore. I'll grant that it's far more important in technical fields, but as you said, if we who aren't getting paid to do this can achieve consistency, then the people who are earning a living with this should be expected to do so. Given Wizbro's current pace of releases, deadline crunch should not be a problem.

The more I (re)learn about Mystra and the Weave, the less plausible that whole mess becomes. From everything I've read in the 1e/2e/3e canon, even where it contradicts itself, the only possible consequence in the Realms of the permanent death of Mystra is the permanent magic-death of all of Toril (and Abeir too). Okay. I'm done. I needed to get that out before I exploded in frustration.

My group has decided that a change of rulesets would be good once in a while... so when the DM is ready to take a break, we're starting up a 2nd edition campaign with me as DM that will continue on off-weeks of the main 3.5 campaign. We're cranking the timeline back to just-post-ToT, and the PCs don't have a really clear idea of what their role is just yet...

Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2008 :  15:23:38  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Touché, mes amis, touché

Afet

Afet bint Tuzaní

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000