Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Warlock pacts in the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TwigB
Acolyte

South Africa
46 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2008 :  00:10:02  Show Profile Send TwigB a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Warlock pacts, as I understand, are tied to certain concepts. It's simple enough to have an infernal pact, thats your classic "deal with the devil" scenario, but when it comes to star and fey pacts I'm not so sure, especially from a Realms perspective. How would someone in the realms go about acquiring a fey or star pact?

Fey seems simple enough if you're elven. I'm sure many of the Seldarine would grant the pact to devout elven servants or the return of the Feywild unlocking some latent power in elves, but say you're human or halfling, what then?

Star pact I'm also at a loss at, do you "wish upon a star" . The only source at the moment seems the corpse/body of Telos. Maybe from Selune as well?

I've only been able to link Fey and Star pacts to Gods but I'm sure there must be other ways of acquiring them. One of my players is playing a Warlock, and in an attempt to not confuse the issue he chose infernal pact. Any thoughts on how to incorporate the other two?

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2008 :  01:33:08  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Any powerful fey or nature spirit could be the source of a fey pact warlock's power. In fact, they fey pact warlocks probably get a much better "deal" than an infernal pact warlock, as I can see many fey requiring, in return "do something interesting with these powers."

I'd say its probably not inconceivable that some of the Witches of Rashemen might not have fey pacts themselves.

As for star pact Warlocks, the direct, "here's an entity from the stars to offer you a pact" works, but also learning about strange constellations and configurations of stars that no one else could see would work too . . . "according to what I read in the stars, if I do X and Y, it will unlock unlimited power."

Part of it is a nod to Lovecraftian "Colour out of Space" kind of weirdness, and star pact Warlocks are, at least is seems from some of the material, a bit touched.
Go to Top of Page

TwigB
Acolyte

South Africa
46 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2008 :  15:36:18  Show Profile Send TwigB a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree, the Witches are definitely candidates for fey pact, given Rashemen's strong ties to the land and nature spirits.

That got me thinking, what pacts could be tied to different regions. Obviously you can have any pact anywhere, but I like the thought that some regions may be more prone to certain pacts than others, such as Dark pact being tied to the Underdark etc. I'm especially curious about Star pacts. What regions would be prone to them? Maybe Lutcheq?

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2008 :  23:53:15  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed, for the fey pact I go with the "mysterious, amoral spirits of the Feywild" explanation. Still, that doesn't mean it couldn't possibly involve actual god-granted powers as well.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2008 :  16:28:03  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, in faerie tales, it common for a pact with a faerie for special powers to have a price like your firstborn child or some trial or task. While based on RW faerie tales, the latter could make fun 1st level quests.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2008 :  01:20:07  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd say a good background for star pacts would be herdsmen. There's a reason a bunch of our RL constellations have rustic names/appearances: the people who spent the most time looking at them were often farmers and herdsmen out watching over herd and field, and likely halucinating from sleep deprivation. In RL we get nonsense like angels wandering around, but in FR it wouldn't be inconcievable for some rare farmer to "hear" something in the stars. Of course, everyone else would think he'd gone insane...

And now this has gotten me thinking about warlocks of Chauntea...

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2008 :  13:21:56  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There were a couple of articles on warlocks within the Realms, which did discuss some of the deities and fiends doing pacts ...

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frcc/20070314

... and fey pacts ...

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frcc/20070328

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gęš a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerūn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2008 :  03:33:18  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Linking the 3e concept of Binders and Vestiges, along with the 4e concept of Warlock Pacts, there's all kinds of combinations that can be made.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000