Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Warlock pacts in the Realms

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
TwigB Posted - 21 Oct 2008 : 00:10:02
Warlock pacts, as I understand, are tied to certain concepts. It's simple enough to have an infernal pact, thats your classic "deal with the devil" scenario, but when it comes to star and fey pacts I'm not so sure, especially from a Realms perspective. How would someone in the realms go about acquiring a fey or star pact?

Fey seems simple enough if you're elven. I'm sure many of the Seldarine would grant the pact to devout elven servants or the return of the Feywild unlocking some latent power in elves, but say you're human or halfling, what then?

Star pact I'm also at a loss at, do you "wish upon a star" . The only source at the moment seems the corpse/body of Telos. Maybe from Selune as well?

I've only been able to link Fey and Star pacts to Gods but I'm sure there must be other ways of acquiring them. One of my players is playing a Warlock, and in an attempt to not confuse the issue he chose infernal pact. Any thoughts on how to incorporate the other two?
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Lord Karsus Posted - 05 Nov 2008 : 03:33:18
-Linking the 3e concept of Binders and Vestiges, along with the 4e concept of Warlock Pacts, there's all kinds of combinations that can be made.
Zanan Posted - 23 Oct 2008 : 13:21:56
There were a couple of articles on warlocks within the Realms, which did discuss some of the deities and fiends doing pacts ...

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frcc/20070314

... and fey pacts ...

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frcc/20070328
Hoondatha Posted - 23 Oct 2008 : 01:20:07
I'd say a good background for star pacts would be herdsmen. There's a reason a bunch of our RL constellations have rustic names/appearances: the people who spent the most time looking at them were often farmers and herdsmen out watching over herd and field, and likely halucinating from sleep deprivation. In RL we get nonsense like angels wandering around, but in FR it wouldn't be inconcievable for some rare farmer to "hear" something in the stars. Of course, everyone else would think he'd gone insane...

And now this has gotten me thinking about warlocks of Chauntea...
Hawkins Posted - 22 Oct 2008 : 16:28:03
Also, in faerie tales, it common for a pact with a faerie for special powers to have a price like your firstborn child or some trial or task. While based on RW faerie tales, the latter could make fun 1st level quests.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 21 Oct 2008 : 23:53:15
Indeed, for the fey pact I go with the "mysterious, amoral spirits of the Feywild" explanation. Still, that doesn't mean it couldn't possibly involve actual god-granted powers as well.
TwigB Posted - 21 Oct 2008 : 15:36:18
I agree, the Witches are definitely candidates for fey pact, given Rashemen's strong ties to the land and nature spirits.

That got me thinking, what pacts could be tied to different regions. Obviously you can have any pact anywhere, but I like the thought that some regions may be more prone to certain pacts than others, such as Dark pact being tied to the Underdark etc. I'm especially curious about Star pacts. What regions would be prone to them? Maybe Lutcheq?

KnightErrantJR Posted - 21 Oct 2008 : 01:33:08
Any powerful fey or nature spirit could be the source of a fey pact warlock's power. In fact, they fey pact warlocks probably get a much better "deal" than an infernal pact warlock, as I can see many fey requiring, in return "do something interesting with these powers."

I'd say its probably not inconceivable that some of the Witches of Rashemen might not have fey pacts themselves.

As for star pact Warlocks, the direct, "here's an entity from the stars to offer you a pact" works, but also learning about strange constellations and configurations of stars that no one else could see would work too . . . "according to what I read in the stars, if I do X and Y, it will unlock unlimited power."

Part of it is a nod to Lovecraftian "Colour out of Space" kind of weirdness, and star pact Warlocks are, at least is seems from some of the material, a bit touched.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000