Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Epithets and Avatars
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fibura Gauntlet
Seeker

United Kingdom
50 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2003 :  16:10:30  Show Profile  Visit Fibura Gauntlet's Homepage Send Fibura Gauntlet a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I was looking through the Web Enhancement for City of the Spider Queen and I found the following.
quote:
"Kiaransalee can see, hear, touch, and smell at a distance of 6 miles. As a standard action, she can perceive anything within 6 miles of her worshipers, holy sites, objects, or any location where one of her titles or name was spoken in the last hour (my italics).

Although this seems to be referring to Kiaransalee's avatar, I presume the same sort of abilities apply to all the Gods to a greater or lesser degree.

I've always liked the idea of keeping PCs on their toes like this and wondered how other DMs used the concept. I can see a lot of fun in coming up with new titles to avoid being overheard. Any PCs unwary enough to popularise their new epithet had better watch out though, "Her with the legs" might be listening

Any ideas/experiences out there?

- Fibura Gauntlet
A scrib(bl)e on the margins of Candlekeep

Malanthius
Learned Scribe

144 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2003 :  16:50:08  Show Profile  Visit Malanthius's Homepage Send Malanthius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That particular ability does extend to all powers possed of at least one devine rank. They can experience any event through they're 5(or more depending on the creature type they are) senses within a mile per diven rank of themselves, their temples, and (sometimes) within a part of their portfolio. The power's avatar will only have this to half the regular distance.
Kiaransale's ability sounds like it would be more trouble than it's worth though. Mystra's chosen have a similar problem, everytime someone speaks their official name (ie the symbul, elminster, allustriel, Khelben) they hear the next few words spoken by that person. Now let's see, Considering the widespread fame of these individuals amongst a population of millions, just how long would it take someone to go nuts listening to the muttering of that many people?
Mal.

"Oh, Do stop whining, It's not the End of the World. It's just the end of Your's."

Edited by - Malanthius on 17 Jul 2003 16:52:50
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2003 :  20:28:19  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Malanthius

That particular ability does extend to all powers possed of at least one devine rank. They can experience any event through they're 5(or more depending on the creature type they are) senses within a mile per diven rank of themselves, their temples, and (sometimes) within a part of their portfolio. The power's avatar will only have this to half the regular distance.
Kiaransale's ability sounds like it would be more trouble than it's worth though. Mystra's chosen have a similar problem, everytime someone speaks their official name (ie the symbul, elminster, allustriel, Khelben) they hear the next few words spoken by that person. Now let's see, Considering the widespread fame of these individuals amongst a population of millions, just how long would it take someone to go nuts listening to the muttering of that many people?
Mal.

HAH HAH! THat is something that I have ALWAYS wondered about. They must of gotten used to it and block it out. Like I used to do to my managers when I was in University and worked in Barnes & Noble.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2003 :  22:19:38  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I did too. But then I thought, why does it need to be active all the time? Why not listen every once in a while, looking for certain voices like one would in a crowd of people?

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Fibura Gauntlet
Seeker

United Kingdom
50 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2003 :  16:31:33  Show Profile  Visit Fibura Gauntlet's Homepage Send Fibura Gauntlet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It might make you less likely to react if someone shouted your name in the street too. Perhaps causing you to give the impression of being permanently distracted by more important things. Hmm.

(starts having ideas)

- Fibura Gauntlet
A scrib(bl)e on the margins of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Acaus Bellum
Acolyte

19 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2003 :  10:53:44  Show Profile  Visit Acaus Bellum's Homepage Send Acaus Bellum a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also it seems that they will pay more attention if they recognize the voice. Thinking Alustriel's description and that of deities they can't be overloaded with too many matters at once. As to the Chosen its not the same as gods because they only hear when their name or the rune of the chosen is spoken and if I was in Faerun I might avoid saying their names. Or, I might call them Sage of Shadowdale, High Lady of Silverymoon, Witch-Queen of Aglarond etc. Thus avoiding this problem.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him float.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2003 :  17:28:54  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That may be so, although not everybody will use alternate names when describing the chosen and such. It is safe to assume that the chosen have the ability to filter through the voices they hear, and if one should strike them as interesting, it immediately becomes the focus of their perceptions.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000