Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Can anyone recommend 'The Book of Fiends'?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2008 :  20:54:17  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Okay, I've read several references to something called The Book of Fiends, apparently from Green Ronin, that gets used a lot at Paizo among other places. Can anyone here give me the lowdown on this book? Is it a good buy, does it provide better coverage than we got in the two Fiendish Codexes from WoTC? Really, anything will help.

Thanks all.

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2008 :  00:44:42  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not better than the Fiendish Codex I, but better than the Fiendish Codex II. Erik Mona and James Jaccobs mentioned that when they wrote the FC I, they tried to write it so as not to contradict anything in The Book of Fiends, if they could help it.

There are some absolutely great fiends in that book, so even if the over arching information doesn't work for you, its good for new devils and demons. Daemons, as presented in the book, don't quite synch up with Yugoloths, but there are still some really creepy and inspiring NE fiends in there as well. Basically the daemons in the book are themed around the Seven Deadly Sins.

The book also has the Thaumaturge (Demon worshiping divine class) and the Unholy Warrior (evil paladin), which I've had fun using as NPCs.

If you are looking for planar politics, the structure won't quite work perfectly, although except for a few arch devils most of the hierarchy of Hell still works, and the Abyss is huge enough that other demon lords won't cause any problems. In fact, the description of various demon lords works pretty well with the FC I (and with the Savage Tide Adventure Path).

Anyway, I don't regret getting it at all.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2008 :  00:55:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Book of Fiends itself is something to consider, since it updates the original Legions of Hell and Armies of the Abyss releases to 3.5, [which wasn't really a selling point to me, but to others], but also added new monsters, changed some artwork, and included a few new things as well, such as the 3.5 Unholy Warrior conversion. Essentially, it is a compilation of those original two books with some new stuff added.

I've made some use of it. For example, The daemons described in the "Hordes of Gehenna" section aren't really yugoloths. They resemble them physically, in some cases. They fill a similar role in that they're mercenaries in the Blood War and they also work at advancing the cause of evil in general. If Colin McComb hadn't detailed the 'loths so much in Hellbound, Planes of Conflict, and Faces of Evil they might even have worked as yugoloths. As it is, they don't, really. The hierarchy is too different - if you mashed them together, the PLANESCAPE 'loths would mostly keep to themselves, more associated with their General than with any of the groups in the Book of Fiends. But the daemons are something else. I might buy them as organized hordlings, actually.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 19 Oct 2008 01:00:10
Go to Top of Page

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2008 :  23:42:14  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks both of you for the helpful answers. I'll be on the lookout for this book.
Go to Top of Page

danbuter
Seeker

USA
74 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2008 :  02:31:21  Show Profile  Visit danbuter's Homepage Send danbuter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Book of Fiends was one of my favorite 3e monster books. And it had a lot of cool background info.

Nothing beats the gray box!
Dan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000