Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 PC levels for 2E Ruins of Myth Drannor Adventures
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2008 :  16:43:14  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with you and many of us, through the years, for free, have offered to help authors/game designers patch up lore or look up material. We were willing to even sign NDA's about it if needed. Hell, I've even helped some authors/game designers, in private, when they asked me for help. No, I can't tell you who asked me because even though I didn't sign a NDA, I gave them my word that I wouldn't reveal what they were working on.

To me its just plain lazyness to not familiarize yourself with the area you are writing about. When I was doing my short story, I went over many sourcebooks and even wrote to Ed for more material and or help with getting it as close to canon as possible because some of the material didn't match up and I noticed it, which Ed helped me fix.

But thats my opinion about game designers/authors and no one can change my mind.

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I don't agree. If I choose to write about a location, and there's only one source that describes that location, I'm going to familiarize myself with that one source. If I'm going to say something about a specific spot within that location, I'm going to make sure I know where it is -- and if I decide to relocate it, I'm going to have at least a sentence to say why it was relocated.

If a person is going to write for a setting, it is not unreasonable to ask that they try to adhere to the details of that setting. Especially when those details are easily verified.

Hells, I wrote a short story set in ruined Myth Drannor, and I went backwards and forwards thru that boxed set, to make sure I got everything right. If a fan with his own life demands can do that for his own project, an author earning money can certainly do the same.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2008 :  16:51:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

I agree with you and many of us, through the years, for free, have offered to help authors/game designers patch up lore or look up material.
I know I have... both publically and in private. I'm here to help. And I always will be. So long as there's any new authors/designers who are in need of assistance from those of us who've been with the Realms from the beginning, I'm here!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2008 :  01:58:12  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Spells Stilled, Scribes:

I wanted to offer help on Myth Drannor. Whenever our esteemed loremaster get
around to it, I have turned in a guide on Myth Drannor that cites from several
different sources and compares the keyed locations by their status as hardiness.
If you are interested in seeing things together from different sources, check it
out. I included several of my writing, but please feel free to ignore all my
additions (but do check out Craft Belluth and Craft Spellfield, contrived from
Ed's descriptions in the Campaign Guide.) I hope others will find it useful.

By the way, does anybody have a spare copy of "Lost Library of
Cormanthor" I could purchase. I was never able to get that as a
resource.

Edited by - althen artren on 12 Nov 2008 01:59:22
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page